• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Leblanc_Splash_1.jpg

skin redeemed

Kindred

not enough, fuck kindred

Zed

i like this nerf

put some risk in zed

also nerfing his free ad is a good thing

nah that skin is still terrible looking

Leezard

Getting the first few chests is so easy.

I guess keys are going to be the bottleneck until I start to run out of champs I want to play.

drawkcaB

I hope nothing happens for 15 mins and then the matches trudge on for another nail biting 20-25 minutes. You know, just a change of pace to shake things up.

Risible

I play Dota and was thinking about checking out LoL. I installed it and played a co-op vs AI game, and it was fun.

However, I'm worried about the pricing. Am I reading it correctly that the heroes go for about $10 each? That seems super pricey, especially in light of how many there are. A big draw for me with these types of games is the huge variety of heroes to keep me interested. Honestly, how quickly can you earn enough points to unlock a hero for free? How many games do you think you would have to play to unlock one?

zkylon

zkylewd
I hope nothing happens for 15 mins and then the matches trudge on for another nail biting 20-25 minutes. You know, just a change of pace to shake things up.

it sounds like you haven't been watching korea

I play Dota and was thinking about checking out LoL. I installed it and played a co-op vs AI game, and it was fun.

However, I'm worried about the pricing. Am I reading it correctly that the heroes go for about $10 each? That seems super pricey, especially in light of how many there are. A big draw for me with these types of games is the huge variety of heroes to keep me interested. Honestly, how quickly can you earn enough points to unlock a hero for free? How many games do you think you would have to play to unlock one?
yeah, most champions are around 10 bucks each, tho you can also buy them if you grind enough in-game currency. i've been playing the game for years and never payed for a champion but it depends a lot on how patient you're willing to be. buying a 6300 ip champion will take you many many days, you get like 100 ip per win and like 300 on your first win of the day, so you do the math. there's events that boost up the ip gains but it's generally very grindy and not great

there's two 50% off sales every week on selected champions and skins, so most people take advantage of that. older champions are also a bit cheaper tho for those it's usually advice to just buy em with in-game currency

there's also 10 different free champions each week so even if you're not buying them you can still get a taste

Champion IP pricing varies. Older, cheap champions should take around 4 matches - one being a win - to get while newer ones should take a couple weeks of grinding.

Leezard

To add to what Stone Ocean said, there are sales twice a week if you really want to buy a champion, where stuff is 50% off. But yeah, it's expensive if you want to buy them with real money.

My recommendation is to get the free champs first (Alistar, Garen and Tristana through Youtube, Twitter and Facebook), and then try out the free champions in the weekly rotation. When your account is level 5 or below you get a special "new player free champions", so you always have the same free ones until you hit level 6. You should probably for a start only buy the ones you really like from the free rotation, but that is of course up to you. There are always new ones each week.

The cheap champions (450 IP) are good, and often nice for beginners. You'll learn really fast since you already play Dota though.

drawkcaB

it sounds like you haven't been watching korea

Not since S4 when it was simply a higher level of boring.

Just so you set your expectations for any discussion sensibly, You're talking to someone who thinks e-sports as a whole is a complete and utter waste of time.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Buy the two champion bundle packs. Youll get more than 30 champions from the get go and 2 exclusive skins.

Thanks.

The spell effect radius is close to 400, right?

So in practice, this mostly reduces the cases where you ult someone to save a third person that's outside of your cast range, and also reduces the freedom of movement an ulted ally has.
Radius is 500, yeah.

It doesn't really sound all that bad considering how mobile Kindred is, it just kinda makes it so you need some execution to save someone, I guess.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hooooooly shit that's brutal
yeah that's pretty huge, and makes sense, makes her have to make more strategic and positioning choices

but honestly i wish they just nerfed her e, that's the part of the champion i find more frustrating, her just walking up to your lane, point and click slowing you and forcing you to flash or get chunked for 60% of your hp with undodgeable dmg

Not since S4 when it was simply a higher level of boring.

Just so you set your expectations for any discussion sensibly, You're talking to someone who thinks e-sports as a whole is a complete and utter waste of time.
just saying, in korea, stuff happens before 15 minutes

Hard

Banned
You totally should. They're a god-tier solo Q jungler since they snowball extremely hard and have one of the best level 2 ganks in the game.

kiguel182

8 minutes to find a match with the new system, one guy leaves. 7 more minutes waiting and I just give yup.

I wish finding a match was quicker...

zkylon

zkylewd
did anyone at rito catch the overwatch short?

it's amazing, that's exactly what i want out of next year's "a new dawn" (btw you still owe us a 2015 video)

bits of lore, lots of actual character and on top of that some action. and like humor and a sense of a larger story.

i mean, i liked a new dawn, graves was awesome, draven was awesome, nautilus was pretty cool too, but it was just a bunch of action scenes stitched together and all the other characters in that thing were super forgettable, except for ahri and leona that were turned into the lame sisters

but yeah, i thought rito bought like half of pixar or something? start telling more stories and less fight scenes

pigeon

Banned
How do you do the new jungle with the extra mobs?

tl;dr start bottom camp, go to buff, go to other buff

Longer:

In general most junglers work out the same after a couple of camps as they ever did. The biggest thing to manage is that the big camps are a lot more dangerous and the buffs you get from smiting are much more important.

* Gromp and Krugs give you clearing-related buffs, which is part of why they are usually the starting camps depending on your side. Krugs give you stuns on autoattacks on camps, Gromp gives you DoT damage on enemies that auto you. Gromp has a lot of health compared to other jungle mobs.
* Wolves and Raptors give you vision-related buffs. Wolves create a spirit that floats around and chases enemies that enter your jungle, Raptors give you a buff that lets you see and kill yellow wards once only. Also, small raptors do a lot of damage but have almost no health.
* Red and blue buffs are more dangerous than they used to be, so it is hard to start with them. Smiting red buff gives you a bunch of health back, which is valuable during early clear. Smiting blue buff gives you mana back.

Clearing any three camps will get you to level 3.

The most "normal" clear route is gromp/krugs->bottom buff-top buff. If you don't plan on ganking early or the buffs are too dangerous, you can do gromp/krugs->bottom buff->wolves/raptors->top buff. If you don't need blue buff early you can skip it and replace it with any other camp, then donate blue early.

garath

I've been playing Ashe super aggro lately and man is it paying off. I feel like it's back to the level 2 rush strat all over again (did it ever leave??). Take W, push hard for first level 2, get quick Q, bum rush with Q stacks and W. I always get at least a flash or a heal out of it if not a kill.

Sure I get ganked more with the aggro style but I've been crushing bot lane so hard that I get to start roaming and making arrow plays all over the map. With ER rush I feel like arrow is always up. It's almost not even fair. Just need the support to work with me and we are flying. They warm up pretty quick.

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/2140539317/42766588?tab=overview

The kindred was 7/0 pretty early on. But our Kat and voli did well and I did my part. We carried that poor Swain hard.

With all the secondary role games I'm playing I'm starting to feel like an adc main. In some ways I'm almost relieved to see adc pop instead of jungle. It's so much easier than jungle.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
How do you do the new jungle with the extra mobs?
Look for opportunities to control scuttler in the river when you're expecting traffic in that area and attention on the nearby lanes from the enemy team. They can also be useful as a camp to do early when you're low on HP if you can ward out for them or know where the enemy jungler will be.

it's amazing, that's exactly what i want out of next year's "a new dawn" (btw you still owe us a 2015 video)
Even as someone invested in Overwatch as a game I found the short to be a total bore. Felt like a lot of hot air without really telling me that much about the characters.

Ken

tl;dr start bottom camp, go to buff, go to other buff

Longer:

In general most junglers work out the same after a couple of camps as they ever did. The biggest thing to manage is that the big camps are a lot more dangerous and the buffs you get from smiting are much more important.

* Gromp and Krugs give you clearing-related buffs, which is part of why they are usually the starting camps depending on your side. Krugs give you stuns on autoattacks on camps, Gromp gives you DoT damage on enemies that auto you. Gromp has a lot of health compared to other jungle mobs.
* Wolves and Raptors give you vision-related buffs. Wolves create a spirit that floats around and chases enemies that enter your jungle, Raptors give you a buff that lets you see and kill yellow wards once only. Also, small raptors do a lot of damage but have almost no health.
* Red and blue buffs are more dangerous than they used to be, so it is hard to start with them. Smiting red buff gives you a bunch of health back, which is valuable during early clear. Smiting blue buff gives you mana back.

Clearing any three camps will get you to level 3.

The most "normal" clear route is gromp/krugs->bottom buff-top buff. If you don't plan on ganking early or the buffs are too dangerous, you can do gromp/krugs->bottom buff->wolves/raptors->top buff. If you don't need blue buff early you can skip it and replace it with any other camp, then donate blue early.

Look for opportunities to control scuttler in the river when you're expecting traffic in that area and attention on the nearby lanes from the enemy team. They can also be useful as a camp to do early when you're low on HP if you can ward out for them or know where the enemy jungler will be.

Okay thanks. Does Smite have to be the killing blow to gain the HP/MP?

Also which are the important champs I should grab that came out after Yasuo.

i still don't own gragas and zilean lol

zkylon

zkylewd
Even as someone invested in Overwatch as a game I found the short to be a total bore. Felt like a lot of hot air without really telling me that much about the characters.
i thought of it as a part of a series. this one gave us some insight into winston's character, maybe next one will be tracer, or someone else

i can see what you mean but they were also setting up overwatch as an organization and starting the story, so time was also dedicated to that

it wasn't ever boring for me tho, loved the animation and the light heartedness

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Okay thanks. Does Smite have to be the killing blow to gain the HP/MP?

Also which are the important champs I should grab that came out after Yasuo.
Smiting a camp at any time gives the corresponding monster buff. If you're not expecting anyone to steal it away from you, don't feel wary about smiting early, or at the start of a camp.

On champions post-Yasuo...Braum is a top tier support pick and probably won't go away soon. Gnar is not on meta thanks to the mastery/item changes, but can still be powerful if the player knows what they are doing. Azir can be strong in the right hands, but has higher skill requirements. Kalista was pretty overpwoered but she continues to be nerfed, unsure where she'll land now, but she is fun to play. Rek'sai had her time to shine but that is thankfully gone and she is in the dumpster for now. Bard is very strong and I don't seem him getting nerfed like other supports might, so I think he'll be in a good place for a good while. Ekko is reemerging now that he's been buffed to be more flexible. Works in solo lane or jungle. Tahm Kench is very fun but nerfed off the face of the Earth. Would not expect him to reemerge any time soon. Illaoi was a flop, but has scenarios where she seems completely broken. Not worth buying. Jhin is pick or ban ADC. Unrivaled mid game and works well with many of the strongest supports right now. Aurelion Sol is probably too strong. Not sure if/how he'll be brought in line, or where people will wind up playing him.

patchday

Also there are runes that you will need. You can wait til you can buy tier 3 runes and get the cheap ones for 200 IP.

Hard

Banned
1 test down, 3 to go.

bits of lore, lots of actual character and on top of that some action. and like humor and a sense of a larger story.

i mean, i liked a new dawn, graves was awesome, draven was awesome, nautilus was pretty cool too, but it was just a bunch of action scenes stitched together and all the other characters in that thing were super forgettable, except for ahri and leona that were turned into the lame sisters

but yeah, i thought rito bought like half of pixar or something? start telling more stories and less fight scenes

That was a cool short, but it's kind of tough to do with League since there's not much in the way of an over arching story behind how League was made and things like that. Each champ has their individual lore, just tying them together seems like the difficult part, and Rito doesn't seem too obsessed with creating an interconnected world tbh. Got a lot of more pressing issues on the docket.

Maybe they should focus on backstories for individual champs?

Newt's solo q adventures continue.

The Santorin of mid lane

Newt

Honestly, I need to get good enough to carry those type of matches. I'm not there yet.

Problem is, I can't put in the effort after I see the team go 0/8 in 10 minutes while I'm just farming mid with Ahri.

jerd

Apparently overwatch is in the middle of some kind of butt crisis. They should uh probably stay away from league art

23qwerty

Apparently overwatch is in the middle of some kind of butt crisis. They should uh probably stay away from league art

fuckin outrage culture man, developers aren't allowed to change shit in their own game before it's even released without people whining

zkylon

zkylewd

tracer is like a not sexualized character and they gave her a sexualized victory pose

a fan of the game said hey that's not very in character so blizz thought "yeah actually this person is right" and changed it

then people with too much time in their hands and dumb brains cried censorship cos they're dumb people

so yea dont let dumb people get in the way of what seems like an awesome game

jerd

Yeah it all made perfect sense to me but then the thread on gaming side has 700+ posts in less than two hours so what do i know

tracer is like a not sexualized character and they gave her a sexualized victory pose

a fan of the game said hey that's not very in character so blizz thought "yeah actually this person is right" and changed it

then people with too much time in their hands and dumb brains cried censorship cos they're dumb people

so yea dont let dumb people get in the way of what seems like an awesome game
Yeah, characters that are meant to be sexualized like Waifumaker still have it so the censoring argument makes no sense.

Bacon

Censorship is such an overused and incorrectly used term in the gaming community. A developer making a change to their game before it is even released is not censorship

Top Bottom