• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Neol

What if I'm a jungler who already has cinderhulk?

For me it depends on the jungler.

Pure tank junglers like Amumu, Maokai, Nautilus, Mundo and Zac usually build Omen since they have some reliable way to initiate and the slow helps them deal out constant DPS with Cinderhulk as well as there AOE damage spells. Bruiser junglers like Reksai, Gragas, Volibear, Shyvana and Skarner should build Dead Mans since the movement speed and the empowered autoattack helps catch and burst down single targets quickly. Only ones that stand out that could do good with either is Sejuani and Jarvan.

Doesn't really matter though since a lot of these junglers would rather opt for something else then build sunfire.

killatopak

Gold Member
I see. So general consensus is build something other than cinderhulk then go sunfire. Was sunfire buffed or something? I only typically see it on tanky top laners who needs to push waves faster.

Newt

Sometimes I love this community.
00c5b0d4776c0ec7d8a44bc36c997069.png

Ken

when you guys do ranked do you guys just focus on a handful of champions to play? with the main/sub role declaration thingy for draft, seems "easier" to narrow down a pool of what champs to focus on, versus before where you'd potentially be left with any of the 5 roles.

trying to figure out a set of 5 champs per role to focus on hmm.

kenbo

when you guys do ranked do you guys just focus on a handful of champions to play? with the main/sub role declaration thingy for draft, seems "easier" to narrow down a pool of what champs to focus on, versus before where you'd potentially be left with any of the 5 roles.

I think it's ideal to focus on just a few champions

Even like 3 per role is ok.

Btw, voyboy streams a lot of Yasuo games if you really want to get into it

Ferga

Voyboy feeds so much on Yasuo and solo throw games through split pushing, it's ridiculous.

I don't know why people listen to his whole "Pick yasuo in any elo and it's free wins" shit while they watch him get shit on in lane.

Bacon

Deity Slayer : heads up ima muting everyone wen the match starts
Deity Slayer : it just stopps me from flaming u guys for not being good at the game

And he picked aatrox with tp ignite.

Ferga

Deity Slayer : it just stopps me from flaming u guys for not being good at the game

How are you still bronze with your stats?

You seem to get fed enough to solo carry games

Tizoc

Played an aram with a first time annie
We won and they got a good bunch of kills
Was an overall good arsm match
Course i went rushd bork gnar then sterak but it was all good :v

jerd

Voyboy feeds so much on Yasuo and solo throw games through split pushing, it's ridiculous.

I don't know why people listen to his whole "Pick yasuo in any elo and it's free wins" shit while they watch him get shit on in lane.

Voys pretty open about playing like a monkey on stream because playing hyper aggressive is more fun to watch. Idk if I'd watch his stream for educational purposes because it's like 25% big plays and 75% fails

Blizzard

Banned

He went 6/0/1 and didn't lose his tower (until the end?) against an aggressive Fiora, so I guess that's a good outcome. :D A victory too.

I think it's ideal to focus on just a few champions

Even like 3 per role is ok.

Btw, voyboy streams a lot of Yasuo games if you really want to get into it
Holy shit. 3 per role? God, I'm awful. I truly feel like I only have 2 champs mastered altogether. Maybe 3? I need to get cracking. I've tried a lot of champions, but I always find myself falling back to the same familiar ones .

bakeray

if I don't have any other priority bans open I always ban yasuo.

he's the new age yi for me. crushes my team when i'm against, feeds like hell when he's on my team.

I wonder when another Boss skin will pop up. I'm not even sure who should get the opportunity to be in this skin line. lol

Speaking of, I bet the last Arcade Skin is going to be for Azir in the vain of the Pokemon/Monster Rancher theme, since we have Sona (DDR), Miss Fortune (Sidescrolling Shooter), Hecarim (Uh... Dunno what he represents) and Riven (Zelda-Esque adventure games).

Leezard

Sneaky fish.

It's easier now than before in a way since you know you will get one of two roles, but even before the new champion select it was generally more effective to play just a few champions in one or two roles. One trick ponies and role mains had the easiest time climbing even if they sometimes had to dodge or fail a game since they didn't get their preferred role.

Speaking of, I bet the last Arcade Skin is going to be for Azir in the vain of the Pokemon/Monster Rancher theme, since we have Sona (DDR), Miss Fortune (Sidescrolling Shooter), Hecarim (Uh... Dunno what he represents) and Riven (Zelda-Esque adventure games).

Hecarim is Robot Unicorn Attack.

ChrisD

So how does matchmaking work now with games won lol? I'm assuming things are better in Ranked, but I still ain't that far. My last match was our:

Against their:

2142(!)

Our highest was lower than their lowest. I even averaged the numbers out for curiosity's sake and got 861.2 for them to our 110.6.
Basically I'm not seeing any matchmaking system in place looking at that. I know you can play something for years on end and still suck (and therefore still understandably be paired with new people), but seeing that the game was 45/6 in their favor I don't think that was the case.

The pre-game chat was great though. I love when you get in lobbies where everyone is just talking and laughing it up with one another. I bet the enemies didn't win in that department. :p

killatopak

Gold Member
So how does matchmaking work now with games won lol? I'm assuming things are better in Ranked, but I still ain't that far. My last match was our:

Against their:

2142(!)

Our highest was lower than their lowest. I even averaged the numbers out for curiosity's sake and got 861.2 for them to our 110.6.
Basically I'm not seeing any matchmaking system in place looking at that. I know you can play something for years on end and still suck (and therefore still understandably be paired with new people), but seeing that the game was 45/6 in their favor I don't think that was the case.

The pre-game chat was great though. I love when you get in lobbies where everyone is just talking and laughing it up with one another. I bet the enemies didn't win in that department. :p

You have to consider the number or losses as well. For all we know that 2000 win guy could have double the losses which would sink his mmr to the ground. It's more reliable to look at their rank. Normal mmr is different from ranked mmr and the effort one would put at normals could be vastly different but their rank could at least determine his/her general skill level.

Edit: You also have to consider that there are some people who don't play normals at all. This could make matchmaking very difficult to balance. A player who was at silver mmr in normal could have only played ranked until he was at platinum then decided to play normals again. That would mean he has skills at platinum but at silver mmr in normals. They would have to play a few games and stomp then until they reach the point where he would play with platinum players and his win rate would normalize. I typically see challenger and masters at my normals but I would never see them in ranked unless I get a mean win streak.

ChrisD

You have to consider the number or losses as well. For all we know that 2000 win guy could have double the losses which would sink his mmr to the ground. It's more reliable to look at their rank. Normal mmr is different from ranked mmr and the effort one would put at normals could be vastly different but their rank could at least determine his/her general skill level.

Edit: You also have to consider that there are some people who don't play normals at all. This could make matchmaking very difficult to balance. A player who was at silver mmr in normal could have only played ranked until he was at platinum then decided to play normals again. That would mean he has skills at platinum but at silver mmr in normals. They would have to play a few games and stomp then until they reach the point where he would play with platinum players and his win rate would normalize. I typically see challenger and masters at my normals but I would never see them in ranked unless I get a mean win streak.

Hmmmm, didn't think about the fact it's showing games won from all sources. I thought that it showed Wins only for the mode you're currently in, but that clears up a lot of the confusion.

Still a poor match to be made, but it at least makes a bit of sense now... Even if checking the Profile of the 2k guy shows that he's never played Ranked (no border, that is. Maybe he didn't play last year and came back?).

Long term algorithms, man. There's something it found to get us in the same match, I suppose.

killatopak

Gold Member
Hmmmm, didn't think about the fact it's showing games won from all sources. I thought that it showed Wins only for the mode you're currently in, but that clears up a lot of the confusion.

If it's in normals then yes it does show wins in normals only throughout the time since he first played the games. He could have played since season 1. Looking the player's profile wouldn't let you see his losses so we can't be certain how good he would be especially if he has no rank border.

Normals really couldn't be the judge of absolute skill because you have guys who play champs for the first time possible losing a lot in the process and lowering their mmr then decide to play their main which would result in them stomping the opponents. It's where people practice and do crazy stuff like 5 man smite.

Ranked matches is better at match making so if you want a solid equal skill matches then you should play ranked instead.

I just had an interesting game and I want to know what you guys think about it and maybe give me some advice.

I just had a game where in the first 10 mins, my bot lane died twice, my top lane once, my mid lane once and we had two kills. I had a solid mid laner I could rely on not screwing up. Even after a gank that ended in his death he was able to stay ahead in cs and get a kill.

The problem lane was definitely bot, but I thought I could bring them back. Taric & Jinh. Cc for days. Turns out I was wrong. Bot was a problem, but not as bad as top, but not in the usual way. I headed top after my second rotation and got pinnged away by them. I asked him what was up and he said he was lagging. As he was playing against a Darius, I decided to not take the chance in getting killed soloing him pre-6 and making top a bigger problem.

Fastforward 20 mins. My top laner has 100 cs. Darius has 200+. He's not diving, he's just farming. He's two levels ahead of everyone else. I've got my bot lane fed and my mid is doing just as well. I'm almost full build and with 4 drakes under my belt. Suddenly my bot lane get's caught out, my mid goes in too deep and I can barley escape. They baron and force mid, ending the game.

That whole game Kayle did not attend teamfights, he sent one message that he was lagging and didn't even ping. Three times I came top to try and kill Darius, to stop him getting this lead, three times Kayle just sits at the turret, doesn't ult, doesn't do anything.

What do you guys do in this situation? I wanted top stop Darius, I just could do anything without support from my laner and she just sat at her turret.

jerd

Who were you playing as? Best you could done to directly deal with Darius if he was that far ahead probably was ask your mid or support to come top with you and 3 man him. Sounds tho like Kayle was worthless, whether due to lag or whatever, so probably not too different from losing a 4v5. Alternatively you could just avoided Darius altogether since he'd have a really hard time solo carrying anyway and just focused more on mid and bot. If everyone just died though and they barond and ended off of it that's kinda just how the game goes. If you're behind with 4 dragons though I think you wanna look to ward up and farm and wait for that 5th one because it's a pretty insane buff

But yeah if you wanted to deal with him head on and your mid is strong just have them shove and roam top with you if possible

Ferga

My Vayne loses tower so she solo pushes to their turret and dies to Eve.

Ok. Fine.

Spawns, does it again.

Ok. I'm a bit tilted.

Spawns, does it again.

Ok. Put up surrender vote. Doesn't go through.

Spawns, does it again.

Come the hell on. Grow a brain.

Tizoc

Black cleaver on zed and Talon is justfucking weird
Seriously do these people who build it even KNOW how it works?

killatopak

Gold Member
Black cleaver on zed and Talon is justfucking weird
Seriously do these people who build it even KNOW how it works?

Weird? No it's pretty efficient with them.

Talon's passive procs black cleaver's armor shred.

Zed's a bit different in that there are more efficient items to buy FIRST but in the end having black cleaver on him is pretty good especially with the tanky meta. Zed's Q and E procs the movement speed passive and is a pretty good chase and disengage for him. CDR is pretty good too.

For these two assassins. Armor pen and armor shred is very beneficial especially with armor stacking top, jungle and support champs. The only part where it can be complicated is when to buy and if you even need to. In cases where the enemy team is full of squishies with no front line then it's much better to go BT or some other damage item.

Top Bottom