• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
so how many champs do people play as?

a few for all roles? 1 for just the roles you like?

pretty damn tanky and he is a proper juggernaut now and a viable top lane. Has waveclear and a dash and mana costs are pretty low. He's not op or anything. It kinda feels like playing graves since you've got to play around the minion wave in order for your shots to hit.

Kayn is strong. Nasus is broken.

is this why i am LOVING playing as him?

his Q late game feels so good, i really hope he doesn't have a nerf coming

Don't care what everyone says

I really like Ascension. One of the most fun mode of the entire game

i like ascension too

i think they've made changes from the early days of it, i remember hating it at first

Ascension is like the best one after URF.

Doombots, Poro King, Blood Moon and that Thresh gimmick thing need to be thrown out. The rest are fine.

Playing Leblanc in Ascension is so depressing though. She loses 1v1 to every single mage/assassin when gold and levels are equal. The worst thing about that rework is how it just doesn't function outside of summoner's rift meta. But I still play it and lose and try to have fun.

That's because Ascension was an actual game mode called Dominion that had a lot of balancing/analysis on it. Comparatively speaking, it has more polish on it than any other game mode not-named SR.

I still hate what RiotNome did. I only enjoyed AP Teemo for 3~4 months before he introduced Black Fire Torch (the Liandry's Torment progenitor version), which started the nerfs on AP Teemo. (FYI, this was a time where if you would go full AP Teemo on SR, you might get called out as a troll or dodged. On-hit and AD Teemo were the mainstream back then in NA.) Not like the Teemo nerfs stopped when he left, we now have stuff that downright shut downs 5 minutes of Batman Prep Time.

I only play ARAM/Rotation games these days.

Taric is so goddamn good right now, practically unfair

Taric can never be good, bad, or unfair. Only OUTRAGEOUS.

I just tried to Taric in Ascension because of your comment. Aaaaaaaaaand...

WtHpjbF.png
Don't poke into why I went LichBane on that defeat. It's a lapse of judgement. >___>

LOL, I think he's got the feel of the old Taric back, bruiser/tank-wise. Even the attack-rotation thing, if you can still call it that.

1. Bitch-slap to the left
2. Bitch-slap to the right
3. Heal
4. Go back to 1

I really thought that the rework (before the insta-Q Refresh per slap) would be really good as a Taric top laner/ARAM/Ascension, but I felt worse than before, and the only way I could function was as a support Taric. I had even foregone the sale of Armor of FifthPink Age Taric because I couldn't make him work well. Q's mana cost and CD was horrendous (still is).

Compared to old Taric, I hate the fact that Catalyst of Aeon is now a downright requirement on him now (on non-SR maps, at least). On the bright side, there's now an actual defensive item for it with Abyss. I might try RoA later, but I usually don't finish Catalyst until late game.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member

Everyone is different about this, just play what you find fun and interesting. I would say for the sake of learning the game it's worth at least trying out each free champ once in the practice tool or a bot match if you aren't prepared to face off in pvp. You don't need to hard commit cooldowns to memory but just understanding the basic mechanics of each champ will go a long way. Knowledge is power.
laugh2.gif

faridmon

The vague role is that the more you climb, the better it is to narrow your champion pool na d focus on the ones you know the best and are good at.

Where you are at, its bets to try out as many champions as you can so you can spot the ones you like. Once you start out your placement (bronze) its good to have a good selection of champions and then narrow that selection once you climb to Silver

Its good to try champions so you can learn their strengths and weakness in case you play against that said champions. especially the cooldowns because that will determine your trading in lanes
jon bones said:

Oh they will nerf him, thats for sure. Don't get too comfortable :p

jon bones

Everyone is different about this, just play what you find fun and interesting. I would say for the sake of learning the game it's worth at least trying out each free champ once in the practice tool or a bot match if you aren't prepared to face off in pvp. You don't need to hard commit cooldowns to memory but just understanding the basic mechanics of each champ will go a long way. Knowledge is power.
laugh2.gif

The vague role is that the more you climb, the better it is to narrow your champion pool na d focus on the ones you know the best and are good at.

Where you are at, its bets to try out as many champions as you can so you can spot the ones you like. Once you start out your placement (bronze) its good to have a good selection of champions and then narrow that selection once you climb to Silver

Its good to try champions so you can learn their strengths and weakness in case you play against that said champions. especially the cooldowns because that will determine your trading in lanes

thanks, will keep trying new heroes out

after trying guys like Taric (who i would never pick) and loving it i think im good for a while just trying everyone out and seeing who clicks

He definitely has a nerf incoming. They buffed him in two ways in the last patch:

During his ult now his Q has half CD (which is fucking ridiculous) and they changed his E from shredding a flat amount of armor to shredding like 30% of total armor which is a huge change. It feels like it should be at least 30% of bonus armor, and I don't know if even that is a little bit much.

jon bones

He definitely has a nerf incoming. They buffed him in two ways in the last patch:

During his ult now his Q has half CD (which is fucking ridiculous) and they changed his E from shredding a flat amount of armor to shredding like 30% of total armor which is a huge change. It feels like it should be at least 30% of bonus armor, and I don't know if even that is a little bit much.
OK that actually makes sense, his E was just melting people

as long as his Q stack murder button is still good i'll probably still like him

plus he's a mummy dog monster man

Jarsonot

Got the Omega Squad bundle, figure I play enough of this game to throw them some money, and I like all the champs.

Tristana seems pretty fun, gonna concentrate on her first. Or maybe fizz too. Aaah too many choices now!

drawkcaB

They'll trim back some power off of early E and some power off of mid-game Q, but at the end of the day Thresh-Blitz-Janna account for ~60% (!) of support picks in solo queue and Taric can deal with all of them.

The first two he can outright beat. Janna is a draw in lane but Taric is a fantastic mid and late game support. None of this is really a numbers thing, it's just the capabilities and function of his kit.

zkylon

zkylewd
god riot taking away normal stats is so fucking shit wtf costy
let's all remember that thousands of ppl work sat riot and costy doesn't answer for all of them. we're not having a very welcoming place for rioters if we treat them like that, it's really easy to go on twitter and ask the actual ppl responsible for these changes

let's all remember that thousands of ppl work sat riot and costy doesn't answer for all of them. we're not having a very welcoming place for rioters if we treat them like that, it's really easy to go on twitter and ask the actual ppl responsible for these changes

I'm gonna blame the guy doing writing for the choice to change the API if I want to, damn it!

Was there any reasoning given for why they took away normal stats?

Newt

I know Riot has employees in thousands, but I actively prefer to blame Costy.

I mean, he likes Quinn and Rengar so he deserves it.

:Harold:

jon bones

Just curious: do you play PvP or only against Computer AI

If later, just a tip: Do not play again Com AI, and only play against people

i only play PvP - 80% summoners rift, 20% aram

when i first tried to get into the game in 2012/2013 i played AI only and didnt like it

Well I wouldnt run AS on Nasus for example.(when I said AD I didnt just mean ADCs)

I probably still wouldn't run lethality on nasus. Your goal as nasus is to scale up, right? Plus you get 30% armor shred to begin with so any amount of lethality you get from runes would be so-so in the mid to late game I think. Wouldn't AS still be decent on nasus because it lets you farm more easily?

faridmon

New Urgot feels amazing. Pretty much all of Riot's large-scale reworks have been fantastic. Shame the smaller ones are usually awful.

Sejuani, Ashe and Ryze have been great

But yeah, all the reworks have been amazing. Espcially the art of said champions. Makes me wish Morgana rework is in the near horizon.

Rune changes can't come soon enough. I've been rocking the same ones since like season 3. I don't play a huge amount so I usually spend my points unlocking champs I want to play rather than dumb runes.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm gonna blame the guy doing writing for the choice to change the API if I want to, damn it!

Was there any reasoning given for why they took away normal stats?

can't remember, i think the idea was something along the lines that stats were for competitive purposes only and normals are like practice

it doesn't make much sense, i wouldn't be surprised if they change their minds

23qwerty

is just jokes

i know but i don't think it makes this thread a very hospitable place to target them individually with questions they don't know much about, on top of all the ppl complaining all the time (including me for sure)

As someone who peruses the Giant Bomb thread that has/had GBers visit time from time

Even jokes can be hurtful to people. I agree with Zky

zkylon

zkylewd
nah I mean, no one was being abusive or anything but I appreciate rioters being here in whatever capacity and would like for them to have a good time (as good a time anyone can have around you people :>)

zkylon

zkylewd

rito really grabbed my favorite fanart artists for this pentakill art stuff

sadly no feversea or instantip tho :<

I didnt even know that this game had lootboxes as well. I guess it shouldn't really be surprise tho lol.
unfortunately, yeah

really sucks to have league tainted with that shit

To whoever was looking for advice as a new player on how to play better, I think this set of video guides below are about the best modern advice around. They're aimed a bit further up the skill tree than "get more creeps than the other dude", "look at your map often", and "don't die", but that's for the better. It's mid and AD focused, but everything is relevant to the whole map.

Good videos to start with are:

1. Trading stance.
2. Teamfighting (quite technical, and solo queue teamfights are often an absolute mess, but I learned from it.)
3. Roaming.
4. How to carry. (Get fed, then get control vision, don't die when fed.)
5. The Minion Crash Dive. Whenever someone is winning lane look for this. Half of the most devastating plays I've made involve TP'ing behind a struggling enemy bot lane and diving them 3v2 or 4v2, killing them and denying them a bunch of minions.
6. How to play a losing lane.

7. "Diamond Eyes." Not making unforced errors makes you better, but being a strong player requires making good stuff happen, knowing your champion's limits, putting on maximum pressure without getting punished.

I think this set of videos start to give you a sense of how dense this game is, even just on a moment-to-moment individual decision making level. Start thinking about particular champion picks, team comps, objective trades etc. and it quickly becomes astonishingly complex.

killatopak

Gold Member
played a ranked game. lost with no problems whatsoever. loss prevented. thanks rito!

Edit: Now my games won't start. THANKS RITO!

zkylon

zkylewd
wish there was a way to convince people out of their mid-game blame delusions. just having ppl blame me for losing when i did more dmg than everyone and carried all the early game is weird

just can't help if the duo decides to lay the blame on me and rage :T

Loot boxes aren't bad as long as it's for cosmetics tbh
i think most competitive games don't do this so that's not really a good comparison imo

besides, "not as bad" is not really acceptable for league imo. league is like the best shit ever, can't settle for anything but the best :>

Lootboxes keep the game free to play though.

that and the skins.

I mean, for the amount of awesome work they put into the champions now a days compared to 3 years ago, and the amount of people Rito employs, they have to monetize to feasibly keep the game as is.

Newt

nope

league has done wonderfully without them for years

if i were to guess, lootboxes make money for riot, not league
Riot has significantly expanded throughout the years.

The lootbox system is great, I'd much rather have the game with it than without it. If someone has a bad gambling problem, that's not Riot's fault.

It's like how breweries aren't liable for alcoholics.

Top Bottom