• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

those comparisons make no sense

this is a team of people dedicated to not playing league of legends but instead their own little joke that's not fun for anyone but themselves

they can fuck off and play their mode in customs with their friends

when ppl like that get banned it's because they've done their cheese a bunch of times and no one likes playing against it

it's an exploit, it's not a balance issue, it's not making the game unbalanced, it's making the game broken

It isn't a balance issue, yes. It's a design flaw. The game mode allowed a way for the game not to reach a conclusion. One reason MOBAs have minions is that they set maximum time for matches if there is zero player intervention. If everyone AFKs, minions will eventually scale enough to outmuscle towers and end the game themselves. There's no way to stop that from happening unless both sides intentionally did it.

The reaction of banning players for uncovering a flaw is the thing I'm not fond of. By all means, disable the game mode, or hotfix something. Don't punish players for actually playing by the rules set by the designers.

So what were they doing that the game would never end?

Basically, give Ascension to the team, refuse to kill anyone, disrupt all capture attempts and die while doing it. Eventually, you get enough gold to buy items to be unkillable while the enemy team is stuck with starter items.

This wouldn't be an issue if there was some way for points to keep ticking forward (akin to minions keeping games moving). Your tank team can't keep this up because sooner or later one of you will win. ARAM has the same "no buy till death" rule, but this strategy will never work because you have minions flowing.

Basically, give Ascension to the team, refuse to kill anyone, disrupt all capture attempts and die while doing it. Eventually, you get enough gold to buy items to be unkillable while the enemy team is stuck with starter items.

This wouldn't be an issue if there was some way for points to keep ticking forward (akin to minions keeping games moving). Your tank team can't keep this up because sooner or later one of you will win. ARAM has the same "no buy till death" rule, but this strategy will never work because you have minions flowing.

Yeah, that sounds like a design flaw. To ban players taking advantage of that flaw is going a bit too far tbh. If anything they should get some RP for discovering that.

zkylon

zkylewd
if u find an exploit it doesn't mean u have to use it

if people keep reporting you for it it means that it's not fun for them and if you get warned and continue doing then then it's your fault

shielding behind "it's a design flaw" is weak, these people didn't want to play the game fair

pigeon

Banned
I mean, no one stopped them from surrendering. It doesn't take 60 minutes to make it obvious that there's no chance of winning anymore. It's akin to torturing an enemy team if your own team has a massive lead and they have zero chance for comebacks because you've got a massive gold lead and warded their entire jungle.

There's also no chance of losing. You didn't actually get yourself into a position where you have a win condition, you just put the game in a situation where nobody has a win condition. It's not an actual strategy.

Yeah, that sounds like a design flaw. To ban players taking advantage of that flaw is going a bit too far tbh. If anything they should get some RP for discovering that.

Fuck that, people who grief other people should get their asses banned.

well it's a legit design flaw

it's not an exploit like the old 'edit your config file to flash infinitely'. It's a flaw in ascensions gameplay, and essentially to ban for it is to say 'you're not playing this game the right way.' By banning swathes of people, rito is doing just that.

Instead they should change how Ascension plays to prevent that sort of thing happening.

shielding behind "it's a design flaw" is weak, these people didn't want to play the game fair

But how do you define "fair"? Everyone had all the time to devise this strategy. People are matchmade against each other via hidden MMR (maybe). I mean, yeah sure, you can argue about premade coordination vs randoms, but that comes with every mode.

There's also no chance of losing. You didn't actually get yourself into a position where you have a win condition, you just put the game in a situation where nobody has a win condition. It's not an actual strategy.

This is the first good argument brought up. Unless you see it coming and pick Tahm/TF/Ryze/Panth/etc, this becomes an unwinnable match. The game mode exposed as broken. It's too easy to disrupt captures, capture points are too close to each other, there's no mechanism to force a conclusion over time, game can be put into an unwinnable state before it even ends.

Again, banning people for circumventing the rules is the good thing to do, which is not the case here. Banning people for playing by the rules is the wrong move to do. It sets a precedent that there's only a certain way to play the game, even if you do it by the rules. Then again, this is the same Riot who actively balanced the game so that it'd be played the exact same way it plays since S1 (enforce top/mid/jung/duo bot). Any strategy immediately becomes 100% unviable because it's not the "right way to play". Proxy farming? Unviable. Laneswaps? Unviable. Double top or double jungle? Are you crazy? Nerfed. tri/quad/penta lane force push? Nah. You're going to play top/mid/jung/duo bot with standard laning and you're going to like it. Fuck innovation and alternative strats. It's a miracle Ziggs bot made it through without any attempts to nerf him in general.

Ascension with minions is called Dominion and they removed that game mode a few years ago.

There were towers in Dominion but those towers don't die. There's no towers in Ascension. What will minions do?

A quick fix I see in this that will not affect much of Ascension is that if a team has an Ascended member for 15~20 minutes, they automatically win the game.
1. If your team cannot kill an enemy Ascended for that long, it must mean that someone on your team disconnected, and you can't 4v5 (or 3/2/1v5) the enemy team.
2. If noone disconnected, and you couldn't kill enemy Ascended after that long, then they must have been stomping all over you. Actually, they probably would have won due the the racking points of having ascended for 15+ minutes in a normal Ascension play.

At least this is relatively harmless way I can think of.

I was a Dominion-main player and turned to ARAM after.

In ARAM, we use "leaving people alive" strategy all the time. There's a clash, and the enemy wipes us out, but only 1 of enemy team remains with some 500 HP, we tell teammates who revive first to get health shrines, and not kill enemy if they ever engage.

This would make the next clash essentially 5 v 4, unless the enemy has healers or the survivor can lifesteal/vamp real well before the next clash starts.

They aren't banned because they discovered a design flaw or took advantage of a design flaw.

They are banned because they grieved.

well it's a legit design flaw

Noone is saying otherwise.

Ascension with minions is called Dominion and they removed that game mode a few years ago.

There were towers in Dominion but those towers don't die. There's no towers in Ascension. What will minions do?

A quick fix I see in this that will not affect much of Ascension is that if a team has an Ascended member for 15~20 minutes, they automatically win the game.
1. If your team cannot kill an enemy Ascended for that long, it must mean that someone on your team disconnected, and you can't 4v5 (or 3/2/1v5) the enemy team.
2. If noone disconnected, and you couldn't kill enemy Ascended after that long, then they must have been stomping all over you. Actually, they probably would have won due the the racking points of having ascended for 15+ minutes in a normal Ascension play.

At least this is relatively harmless way I can think of.

I don't play a lot of Ascension myself so I can't give sound ideas on how to fix it.

An idea I had was to make the Ascension buff grant points over time, but also expire after a short period. On expiry, the holder will die in an explosion to deal damage (like Kog Passive), just to make it fun for both sides instead of just feeling punishing for the holder.

The pacifist strategy can no longer just give Ascension to the other team, because this will keep the game going forward, and enables the normal team to buy items on expiry. The pacifist team cannot keep taking the Ascension buff and hide/suicide because taking and possessing the buff grants points, so they can't stretch the game forever. It's already nearly impossible defend an open buff by sitting on it, because they will inadvertently take it and start generatnig points.

I was a Dominion-main player and turned to ARAM after.

In ARAM, we use "leaving people alive" strategy all the time. There's a clash, and the enemy wipes us out, but only 1 of enemy team remains with some 500 HP, we tell teammates who revive first to get health shrines, and not kill enemy if they ever engage.

This would make the next clash essentially 5 v 4, unless the enemy has healers or the survivor can lifesteal/vamp real well before the next clash starts.

Yep. Suiciding and keeping enemies alive things that regular ARAM players know they should do. You also need to pace suicides because you don't want an undefendable clash especially if they're already close to your nexus. Unless they constantly do it as soon as they get to the middle, no one will call out suicides for feeding. There's nothing stopping the low health enemy from just taking the L and walk to his death just to buy items.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yeah

They're simply general ideas that you can take in any meta or patch. IE how and when to trade, when to gank, when to be aggressive and when to not.
Eh. The jungle video is really bad and the video about trading 2v2 is even worse somehow. The way you jungle has changed a lot since the video was made based on the changes that have been made, so some of the advice is just actively bad or misleading with how things have changed. Like you don't early smite a camp now just to get the buff from the monster....

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Eh. The jungle video is really bad and the video about trading 2v2 is even worse somehow. The way you jungle has changed a lot since the video was made based on the changes that have been made, so some of the advice is just actively bad or misleading with how things have changed. Like you don't early smite a camp now just to get the buff from the monster....

do you know where i can find something better?

and do you mean the "retaliation trade" video re: 2v2?

]But how do you define "fair"?[/B] Everyone had all the time to devise this strategy. People are matchmade against each other via hidden MMR (maybe). I mean, yeah sure, you can argue about premade coordination vs randoms, but that comes with every mode.
Can the enemy win beyond champ select? No? Then it's not fair, it's literally that simple.

Again, banning people for circumventing the rules is the good thing to do, which is not the case here. Banning people for playing by the rules is the wrong move to do. It sets a precedent that there's only a certain way to play the game, even if you do it by the rules. Then again, this is the same Riot who actively balanced the game so that it'd be played the exact same way it plays since S1 (enforce top/mid/jung/duo bot). Any strategy immediately becomes 100% unviable because it's not the "right way to play". Proxy farming? Unviable. Laneswaps? Unviable. Double top or double jungle? Are you crazy? Nerfed. tri/quad/penta lane force push? Nah. You're going to play top/mid/jung/duo bot with standard laning and you're going to like it. Fuck innovation and alternative strats. It's a miracle Ziggs bot made it through without any attempts to nerf him in general.
But they are not playing by the rules. Sure they're not doing anything wrong gameplay wise but the entire point of this strategy is to grief the enemy team into a surrender and hey, turns out hard griefing the enemy team is a bannable offense, specially when you do it over and over - the team that was doing this was saying things like "you aren't the first and won't be the last".

Also this "Riot instantly nerfs diverging strategies" bullshit again? Laneswaps and fast pushes were meta for years and double jungling with the top laner lasted a long-ass time. Did you even watch competitive play for the past 5 seasons?

Jarsonot

The Ascension cheese reminds me of Ender's Game. Go outside the normally accepted practices to get that W.

It's clever and doesn't break any rules. I think they should (somehow) fix it, but I'd reward the players who came up with the strategy instead of punishing them.

It's war, man. Use the most effective tactics available. =) It's akin to a siege: if storming the castle is too hard or not viable for whatever reason, starve them out until they surrender. It's a legit tactic.

It's war, man. Use the most effective tactics available. =) It's akin to a siege: if storming the castle is too hard or not viable for whatever reason, starve them out until they surrender. It's a legit tactic.
It's not war, it's a videogame. A strategy that can only win if you force the enemy to surrender is not something that should be celebrated.

Jarsonot

It's not war, it's a videogame. A strategy that can only win if you force the enemy to surrender is not something that should be celebrated.

I celebrate it. It's clever, and funny. It's thinking outside the box.

It's war, man.

Edit: woah, you can now purchase skins in champ select. that's cool.

It's hilarious until you're the one stuck in a 60 minute match you never had any chance of winning because the enemy team is exploiting a flaw in the game.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
do you know where i can find something better?

and do you mean the "retaliation trade" video re: 2v2?
I don't really know where is better. Dopa/Apdo is one of the smartest players who is very good about communicating things, and his stuff gets translated sometimes. Problem is there are jungle tutorial videos that were good just a few months ago that are outdated. Great example would be this: https://youtu.be/EePGQji8GOE

But now Graves is one of the worst junglers, the Raptor camp was changed so it is less rewarding to start there, and you can't try to counterjungle the raptor camp because the meta shifted to champs that are actually good at that camp. So suddenly this route that focused on raptor camp was nerfed, and Graves was nerfed too so he couldn't clear the camp as well. Are there still good ideas in the video? Absolutely, but you can't just follow it 1:1 because the information is outdated. This is the thing about League. The meta keeps shifting and players need to keep adapting. Trying to copy things from the past just invites trouble.

So when I watch something like the "Advanced Bot Laning Phase Guide" I feel like it is just filled with fluffed up imaginary high level concepts from a player, and even if you walk away with some good ideas from it there are also concepts that are outdated, and almost no focus on what the goal for the lane is. Playing the 2v2 lane is one of the concepts that players struggle with the most in this game and I see it all the time. Assessing the power of the lane is not really as simple as trying to determine your advantage by the support types, and the video hypersimplifies how to assess the power level of the lane with outdated information. It's better to try to find a good streamer for the lane/role you are interested in and learning just from the way that they play.

Bot lane is not the same that it was just a year or whatever ago. You have to account for factors like first tower, higher sustain, lower mana regen, which impacts how you poke/trade. You never see junglers without TP and you have to look for how that factors into ganks, or how sololanes/jungle can gank in regards to the trade. I do not see enough stuff related to this in the videos. Stuff with the wave of when to push, when to look for level advantages/spikes. Level mismatches where one laner s late to six. Never watch a 2v2 video by an ADC because most of them only know how to farm (if even that) and not look at the other factors of the lane.

Jarsonot

It's hilarious until you're the one stuck in a 60 minute match you never had any chance of winning because the enemy team is exploiting a flaw in the game.

Even then, personally, in retrospect I would think it was funny. =)

<shrug> AND you're a part of history!

Also, and I know this is hardly fair, but both teams had a chance of winning, just outlast the other team. (I know, I know, but still)

Edit: and just to be clear, I think it's cheap, it's just hilariously cheap. It should be fixed.

Also this "Riot instantly nerfs diverging strategies" bullshit again? Laneswaps and fast pushes were meta for years and double jungling with the top laner lasted a long-ass time. Did you even watch competitive play for the past 5 seasons?

Show me? Double Smite does not necessarily mean Double Jungle. That was just taking advantage of the time when Smite items were OP. The second Smite user still laned for 90% of the time. The only actual double Jungle I remember was M5 vs DIG where M5 had Urgot in a 1v2 lane while Lee and Alistar roamed and dumpstered everyone. I don't even remember a time after S1 where we had double top and no jungler.

And fast pushes where? Where do you see games opening with Tri lane push towers? Not really even talking about laneswaps. The only time I remember actual fast push in competitive was that cheese 5 man push opening with Cait/Nunu/Janna/Heim/someone else (WW? Jayce?). They got blue for Heim and pushed all the way to the inhibitor.

Laneswaps lasted a long time but they were nerfing it over and over until people pretty much stopped doing it.

pigeon

Banned
The Ascension cheese reminds me of Ender's Game. Go outside the normally accepted practices to get that W.

It's clever and doesn't break any rules. I think they should (somehow) fix it, but I'd reward the players who came up with the strategy instead of punishing them.

It really isn't, because no pressure exists on them that doesn't simultaneously exist on you.

The contest is between the external life commitments of the two teams. Regardless of how amusing you might find that (it is funny), it's clearly not League of Legends, and it should be obvious why Riot doesn't consider that appropriate.

That said, they should clearly fix this because it's busted. Just adding a generic damage source somewhere on the map would be enough, really.

pigeon

Banned
So are hero shards the easiest way to get champs if you don't care which one?

No, there's mostly no way that math works out. Champ shards are booby prizes. If you have cash for boxes, just buy champ bundles. If you're grinding, you will grind IP much faster than shards.

Xater

IK5oYeZ.jpg

Show me? Double Smite does not necessarily mean Double Jungle. That was just taking advantage of the time when Smite items were OP. The second Smite user still laned for 90% of the time. The only actual double Jungle I remember was M5 vs DIG where M5 had Urgot in a 1v2 lane while Lee and Alistar roamed and dumpstered everyone. I don't even remember a time after S1 where we had double top and no jungler.

And fast pushes where? Where do you see games opening with Tri lane push towers? Not really even talking about laneswaps. The only time I remember actual fast push in competitive was that cheese 5 man push opening with Cait/Nunu/Janna/Heim/someone else (WW? Jayce?). They got blue for Heim and pushed all the way to the inhibitor.

Laneswaps lasted a long time but they were nerfing it over and over until people pretty much stopped doing it.
Double jungling was when the top laner would follow the jungler early on to get a XP advantage before heading into lane, not jungling full time. Fast pushes were the side lane tower trading rush that usually meant teams would take down two towers 5 minutes in then do nothing for 20 minutes. Laneswaps were nerfed because not only they made standard lanes unviable they were boring as shit to watch.

The point is the idea that the game has been the same since S1 because Riot supports 1112 is silly. Riot doesn't nerf strategies unless they become the absolute uncontested meta for a good while.

Oh

Yeah I guess they're outdated then.

pigeon

Banned

I mean, laneswap meta was not really different from 1112 meta -- in neither case were there meaningful decisions to make. Everybody had to laneswap, fast push the turret, laneswap back, fast push that turret.

Riot didn't kill laneswap for being an alternative strategy, they killed it because it was boring and uninteractive and teams would get advantages or deficits based on execution they did in a totally solo context.

Leezard

So are hero shards the easiest way to get champs if you don't care which one?

If you only have 6300 IP champs left to buy and don't care which one you get you get a discount if you buy 3 champ shards and reroll them into a champ that is guaranteed to be one you do not own.

Beyond that, probably not.

drawkcaB

New runes post is out. Sorry, on mobile so linking is a chore. They all sound amazing.

I'm flipping my shit right with the channeled blink one. Junglers without the ability to pass through walls (basically a slew of good ones that aren't meta strictly because of this) will love the shit out of it.

Looking at all the runes they've listed so far and there's lots of nice ones to help out off-meta junglers like Tahm Kench.

https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.c...unes-corner-inspiration-runes-slot-sneak-peek

First up, new item:
resize

Stopwatch - 600 Gold
UNIQUE Active - Stasis: Become invulnerable and untargetable for 2.5 seconds, but be unable to move, attack, cast spells, or use items during this time (One time use)

Stopwatch is new component of Zhonya's and Guardian Angel. It's meant to let you react to a painful situation the moment it becomes an issue and follow up with a solution for the rest of the game.

"One time use" means that when you use Stopwatch, it shatters:

resize
Broken Stopwatch - 600 Gold
Is broken, but can still be ugpraded. (After breaking one Stopwatch, the shopkeeper will only sell you Broken Stopwatches.)

A very Dota-esque item(It being a one time use with a heavy affect like that).

resize

Perfect Timing
Start the game with a Commencing Stopwatch that transforms into a Stopwatch after 6 minutes. Reduces the cooldown of Zhonyas Hourglass and Guardian Angel by 15%.
Perfect Timing enables Stopwatch potentially even before your first back. It turns Stopwatch into a tool to let you transform an early risky play into being solidly in your favor.

Perfect Timing is meant as one of the sharpest reactions in Runes Reforged. A direct answer or enabler to early dives in very specific matchups, at the cost of asking you to consider what your Runes build looks like with the Inspiration style defining at least one other option.

A very cool Rune that is good for making Zhongyas cheaper, and increasing the usage of it with the cooldown, as well as Guardian Angel.

In addition to deconstructing item breakpoints (Store Credit) and questioning the results of early dives, Inspiration has one last toy in this slot. This one for pathing and vision play:

resize
Channel-Blink
While Flash is on cooldown it is replaced by Channel-Blink. Channel-Blink: Channel for 2.5 seconds to blink to a new location.
Cooldown: 20 seconds. Goes on a 10 second cooldown when you enter champion combat.

YO IT'S MOTHERFUCKING BLINK DAGGER

except different. Ritos finally doing it. Going full HotS/DotA with their tale-runes.

And of course, this Runes slot also includes the previously revealed Store Credit:

resize
Store Credit
You can enter debt to buy items. The amount you can borrow increases over time. Debt limit: 150 + 5/minute
Lending Fee: 50 gold per item

Very interesting runes. Blink Daggers will be interesting for getting around walls to gank. Alotta good options I see that won't necessarily be the best in slot all the time.

Quonny

Channel-Blink
While Flash is on cooldown it is replaced by Channel-Blink. Channel-Blink: Channel for 2.5 seconds to blink to a new location.
Cooldown: 20 seconds. Goes on a 10 second cooldown when you enter champion combat.

we dotes

These runes are going to fuck up the game so hard, in a good way.

Bring it on.

yup
yup
yup

To me it's like they're adding talents to the game. Things that change the game in how you play, and that really can make every match different. Gone will be the days of saying 'Well Kennen top, so I'm going to take MR/Armor runes/oh it's Renekton Top, better take pure armor runes', and arrived will be the days of choosing how to play a character that game. 'Maybe I want a blink dagger to gank bot lane alot, maybe I want to get ahead early this game, maybe I want to be a battle mage and get Zhongyas so I can go in constantly.'.

This is the second best thing that could've happened to league

first being the swain remake

EARLY
BIRD
GUTS
THE
WORM

is something messed up? my total mastery score is 0 for everyone? or do these reset every X patches?

might be a visual glitch, the client is a bit buggy cause I think it's still in alpha/beta?

Top Bottom