• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
. When I last played they also said that they were looking to make less ip expensive heroes, yet they have all been 6300 ip.
There is a 0% chance Riot said this. They mark down heroes sometimes. It's not really worth owning all of them to be honest.

LoL is a horrible business model if you actually want to purchase anything. A single champion with skins cost as much as a PC game.

Anyone wants to play ranked duo in Eu East server? I have fallen into 11XX ELO range and, my god, everyone there has like single digit number of victories.

I mostly play mid/top/support.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Bah I finally lost a ranked match, this is not fair, I was even being nice and let someone else took my lane :( End up feeding in the lane I gave him, should had just pick irelia or something. The sad thing is I was winning bot with a good ad carry.

Rokal

I really hate Riot's business model. I've spent over $300 on this game, I stop playing for a few months, I come back and now there's 10 more heroes to buy that are all obviously 6300 IP. It's ridiculous. They need to have some sort of program to reward people who have spent a lot of money.

Why do you feel the need to buy all the new champions? You could buy a few if they looked really interesting. You could wait for sales or free weeks. You could save up IP. You don't need to spend $10 for every champion to stay competitive.

Zissou

I feel like bare minimum you need one champ for each role who's currently strong and has few hard counters for playing normal blind pick (obviously need proper runes and such as well). For ranked, you need a few more for each role in order to cover bad match-ups, counterpick, and maximize team synergy. Still, I feel like if you buy the two champion packs, you'd have your bases covered, no?

LoL is a horrible business model if you actually want to purchase anything. A single champion with skins cost as much as a PC game.

Anyone wants to play ranked duo in Eu East server? I have fallen into 11XX ELO range and, my god, everyone there has like single digit number of victories.

I mostly play mid/top/support.

So you're saying it's a great business model.

Ken

I feel like bare minimum you need one champ for each role who's currently strong and has few hard counters for playing normal blind pick (obviously need proper runes and such as well). For ranked, you need a few more for each role in order to cover bad match-ups, counterpick, and maximize team synergy. Still, I feel like if you buy the two champion packs, you'd have your bases covered, no?

For draft pick you need 16 champs anyways so more than enough to fill each role.

Wrekt

I'd spend a lot more cash total if champs/skins were $2 or $3 each instead of the current ~$10. Most skins are quality but I will never spend $10 on something that changes the appearance of 1 champ that I most likely won't even get to play in the majority of my games.

Edit: I think the only skin I'd even buy on sale would be Pink Taric. And only because it is truly outrageous (and the insta-lock kiddies leave you with support 9 times out of 10.)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Could you elaborate? I'm curious.

I won't go into great detail, but here are some of my qualms.

Riot made the jungle so easy and accessible it's virtually impossible to balance now because any little tweak effects like the whole roster of champs. Plus I feel like Riot's always had a problem balancing champs for both lane and jungle. They are good at one OR the other, but to many champs can do both roles now. There are other smaller issues, but I think this covers the broader issue at hand.

I'm not sure how to fix this issue though

zkylon

zkylewd
I'd spend a lot more cash total if champs/skins were $2 or $3 each instead of the current ~$10. Most skins are quality but I will never spend $10 on something that changes the appearance of 1 champ that I most likely won't even get to play in the majority of my games.

Edit: I think the only skin I'd even buy on sale would be Pink Taric. And only because it is truly outrageous (and the insta-lock kiddies leave you with support 9 times out of 10.)
Yeah, I agree. I only want Reverse Annie, but if I knew I would be getting 3 skins out of my 10 bucks I wouldn't be so stuck in the fence.

dimb

Fiddlesticks top too OP. I will never forget my first PENTAKILL PENTAKILL PENTAKILL PENTAKILL PENTAKILL PENTAKILL.
DgmT7.jpg

Did the buff on Darkwind really help his farming? I tried Fiddle a few times before, but my biggest annoyance was farming. It felt that if I needed gold I really have to get kills.

dimb

Did the buff on Darkwind really help his farming?
Yeah, it helps a lot for early game. Late game he is still pretty weak at pushing or clearing lanes, but it doesn't matter too much with team comps. I primarily picked him to counter Vlad.

Hero

Trying to pick up league again, playing a lot of dota 2 right now but most of my friends are still league players. I think the last time I played the new hero was talon, and holy shit are there so many new heroes. The abundance of money I would have to pay to even have competitive picks now would be insane, and its kind of serving as a deterrent to making me want to play again. Its a shame too because some of these new heroes (Darius) are fun to play and have more depth to them than the older heroes do. At the same time I don't see the reason why I would pick garen over darius.

I think the worst thing is that there is no IP decay so talon still has the same value that he had however many months ago. When I last played they also said that they were looking to make less ip expensive heroes, yet they have all been 6300 ip.

You realize that it's been almost a full year since Talon was released, right? If you haven't played in that long why on earth would you want to spend real money to buy all the champions that have been released since then? 17 champs have been released since Talon. Saying that you have to spend money to play the game because you took a year off is pretty disingenuous.

Ken

Wow at this ranked game of people using their teleport to farm a few minions at bot lane instead of going to Baron or pushing an inhibitor.

dimb

Wow at this ranked game of people using their teleport to farm a few minions at bot lane instead of going to Baron or pushing an inhibitor.
Did you play ranked with bwlzero?
I kid because I care.

Ken

Did you play ranked with bwlzero?
I kid because I care.

No.

Let's not ban Shen and then first pick Xin Zhao. Uh huh...

Nidalee constantly split pushing on her own even though we could have won several team fights with her. Ahhhhhh.

Can't wait for Foxfire Ahri so I can at least have some fun playing ranked with new skins.

Not sure if serious? I've been playing this game for over a year and have spent 50 dollars total on this game. There's no way you need to have all the new champions. If you haven't been playing for months then just wait for them to be on a free week and try them out before buying them.
Of course I don't need them. champs are content, it's ridiculous that after spending this much on one game there is still a LOT of content I don't own (about 30 heroes now). Since I wasn't active for the past 6 months, I didn't get to play the champs on their free week either, so I don't even know which ones are the best ones to unlock with IP (which will take forever anyway).

It's just dumb, prices are too high. Since they supposedly make most of their money on skins anyway (and I"ve bought quite a few), why don't they reduce the champion prices a lot more? 987/6300 should be 500/6300 tops. And/or they should give you permanent IP boosts at certain spending tiers. Whatever.

I don't regret spending the money, I got a shit-ton of play time out of LoL, but I don't want to be in a perpetual state of catch-up every time I take a break and not even know what I'm missing. The 20 champs I didn't own previously I was fine with, I specifically didn't buy/unlock them because they were very low on my wants list. The new ones aren't like that obviously.

In any case Riot is going to have their hands full when DotA 2 actually launches and gives everyone all the heroes for free. That is REALLY cool, and it should force Riot's hand. I'd much prefer to play LoL than DotA anyway.

I never expected to get harassed so much by Kat under my tower. Couldn't farm too well as Nasus. Once enemy creeps were under my tower she gets really near, Qs then E away.

AcridMeat

Banned
So you're okay with them coming out with content when you're actively playing, but complain about them continuing to do so when you aren't?

Yeah, fuck Riot.

Sorry but this reads like some serious entitlement issues. I can agree on the pricing structure being too expensive, and they should do IP/RP reductions for champions at least.

So you're okay with them coming out with content when you're actively playing, but complain about them continuing to do so when you aren't?

Yeah, fuck Riot.

Sorry but this reads like some serious entitlement issues. I can agree on the pricing structure being too expensive, and they should do IP/RP reductions for champions at least.

No, I'm just burned out on them adding content and charging this much for it. I was OK with it when I was actively playing because I was still really into the game and willing to overlook it. Now I'm just disillusioned with it whether I start actively playing or not, because of the big ongoing barrier it represents.

AcridMeat

Banned
I'd be excited to have a bunch of new champions to learn. Sure it sucks it'll take a long time to unlock ones you're interested in, but with how much you've invested you should have a ton of champs you like to play already.

Staab

I for one have never spent any money on LoL, been playing for over a year and I have 2 accounts with 25+ champions.
I don't think skins matter much and if you like the eyecandy, then simply make the change clientside, you just won't be showing the skin off to the others ;)

I love the game and their business model seems quite good to me (fair trade off), however I do agree that there should be a champion cost decay, like 25% per year, till the minimum.

Q8D3vil

i need to have 100 champion to be active in the game ....
i dont get it, i seriously dont.

i agree with the pricing but this is f2p game, our only hope is that dota2 get big enough for them to consider it a thread and start making real changes. that if not everyone switch to dota2 when that happens.

Vanillalite

Did the buff on Darkwind really help his farming? I tried Fiddle a few times before, but my biggest annoyance was farming. It felt that if I needed gold I really have to get kills.

Gold in the jungle is an issue for some champs because it's on a different scale from the other stuff, and some characters need it more than other to stay up with the rest of the players in the game.

Good luck balancing this issue for Fiddle because to many champs fast clear as it is.

PS: Beyond the $$$ just for competitive balance reasons all champs should just be free.

LCGeek

formerly sane
No, I'm just burned out on them adding content and charging this much for it. I was OK with it when I was actively playing because I was still really into the game and willing to overlook it. Now I'm just disillusioned with it whether I start actively playing or not, because of the big ongoing barrier it represents.

I agree it can be a barrier it's not that big. I just took a break for 2.5 months and have no problems adjusting to anyone new. The game is not that broke you can still have characters that have been out the last year and still roll face hard.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
LoL is a good game, but I personally don't play it any more because of the grind. Forget Rupture, biweekly 6300 IP characters (with price drops only happening once in a blue moon) is anti-fun. Also, I find it amusing Riot promotes LoL as an esport and, at the same time, makes the barrier to competitive play incredibly high.

FoxSpirit

Well, I don't think people are just gonna switch to DotA2. Saw it two days ago and was not blown away.
The game is very very different. LoL is pretty much a stragegic action game while DotA is kuch slower paced with more strategy. Characters play full turning animations, giving the whole thing much more of a battleship control speed. The map seems larger too. Oh yeah, and the new champion select SUCKS. My friend was almost going crazy finding the champ he wanted.

That said, I do hope Riot will lower IP prices somewhat. Over 75% of the chars are 6300IP which is a really really big amount.

dimb

League of Legends is designed around incentivizing and rewarding regular play. That's what stuff like daily win bonuses, free weeks, and pricing structures are designed around. Riot probably doesn't have the control over IP prices they'd like to due to their parent Chinese company. I complain about it sometimes, but I really don't think it's terrible that the solution to getting more out of a game is playing it.

In many ways, the business model in place is what supports and allows Riot to funnel resources into the game at their current pace. While the community is benefited most from playing regularly Riot also gains the most from supporting their game as much as possible. The regular and frequent update schedule that League has is something I like a lot, and I feel like the game improves all the time because the patches tend to be well thought out, and the quality of new champions and skins is something I think has improved over time.

I could see how this would be more frustrating to players who are wanting to get into the game on a highly competitive level. The reality of things though is that new champions are not win enablers. The top picked and banned champions were primarily the older and cheaper ones. Counter picking lanes was actually something infrequently done at the most recent tournament. Instead, team compositions were something planned ahead of time and static, with lanes being swapped to allow champions to be viable or shut other ones down.
Gold in the jungle is an issue for some champs because it's on a different scale from the other stuff, and some characters need it more than other to stay up with the rest of the players in the game.

Good luck balancing this issue for Fiddle because to many champs fast clear as it is.
I don't have too much of an issue with Fiddle's clear times anymore. The reason I'm not a fan of his jungling is his reliance on blue buff. This is something that you can only get around if you have a team composition that enables you to pick up blue by having mages on your team like Kennen or Vlad. Because you lose that tankiness on your jungler it has to come in other places too. It's really beneficial to have mages, supports, and top laners who are capable of taking more damage and initiating fights.
But in all seriousness, we ended with a 3 game winning streak and your pentakill was only possible cause of me... Yea I said it.
Probably true.

Without my TP I would not have made it there from my awesome BDing back to base then TP to turrert that was going down ult in on them, then get punched in face while you ult in after I've been murdered

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Well, I don't think people are just gonna switch to DotA2. Saw it two days ago and was not blown away. .

LoL is a monster, but I wouldn't be surprised to see DOTA2 steal a good chunk of its audience.

Every champion is free, no runepage/rune timesink, you get cosmetic items for free just by playing, etc.

The giant learning curve is a bit of a hindrance to new players, but DOTA2 is much more consumer friendly. Expect Riot to increase the rate at which IP is obtained or something as soon as DOTA starts taking customers from them.

Ken

I for one have never spent any money on LoL, been playing for over a year and I have 2 accounts with 25+ champions.
I don't think skins matter much and if you like the eyecandy, then simply make the change clientside, you just won't be showing the skin off to the others ;)

I love the game and their business model seems quite good to me (fair trade off), however I do agree that there should be a champion cost decay, like 25% per year, till the minimum.

Skins are great and the only way to win in skins during the loading screen is to buy more skins.

Hero

I definitely agree with the fact that champions should have their IP prices reduced at a faster rate than they are. I feel like an IP drop to 4800 should happen 3 months after their debut, 3150 6 months after and 1350 after a full year. But you know what, there's still plenty of champions I don't own that are cheap as hell. The champs consistently getting banned are older ones anyway. Morgana/Shen/Shaco/Soraka.

The only thing I think is drastically overpriced is rune pages. 6300 IP is a fucking lot for something you really need more than 2 of.

League has a much lower barrier of entry in terms of learning the actual game over DOTA2. I think that is what league has going for it and that is what will keep most of it's existing players. A lot of conventions that we know of in League don't apply in DOTA2. Things that would seem OP in League are common place in DOTA2.

dimb

Had over 400 CS on a game. Now to keep working on last hitting to get closer to 500.

garath

LoL is a good game, but I personally don't play it any more because of the grind. Forget Rupture, biweekly 6300 IP characters (with price drops only happening once in a blue moon) is anti-fun. Also, I find it amusing Riot promotes LoL as an esport and, at the same time, makes the barrier to competitive play incredibly high.

Most of the comments of the last page are pretty accurate in terms of IP costs being pretty high and rewarding consistent normal play. However, I just don't see where you are coming from at all.

How is bi-weekly champion releases anti-fun? The fact that you can't buy every new champ with IP without a lot of playtime? New champs are great. They add spice to the game. And you don't have to buy them to stay competitive. Some of the most played competitive champions are:

Ashe
Morgana
Jax
Soraka
Kayle (go Dyrus!)
Kassadin
Anivia

I don't have the client here at work but to my recollection, those champs are pretty darn cheap in IP. Heck, you could spend $25 and buy one of the champion bundles and be immediately competitive (provided you could play them).

Just levelling from 1-30 (which is a decent timeframe to learn the game and become 'competitive') you'll earn enough IP for at least 3 full runepages and half a dozen 6300 IP priced champs. From there you could spend $20 and get another 4-5 sale champs or just continue to earn IP for champs as you play.

I'm not saying that much IP comes easily but I don't understand the complaint that the barrier to being competitive is high because of IP

Vanillalite

Most of the comments of the last page are pretty accurate in terms of IP costs being pretty high and rewarding consistent normal play. However, I just don't see where you are coming from at all.

How is bi-weekly champion releases anti-fun? The fact that you can't buy every new champ with IP without a lot of playtime? New champs are great. They add spice to the game. And you don't have to buy them to stay competitive. Some of the most played competitive champions are:

Ashe
Morgana
Jax
Soraka
Kayle (go Dyrus!)
Kassadin
Anivia

I don't have the client here at work but to my recollection, those champs are pretty darn cheap in IP. Heck, you could spend $25 and buy one of the champion bundles and be immediately competitive (provided you could play them).

Just levelling from 1-30 (which is a decent timeframe to learn the game and become 'competitive') you'll earn enough IP for at least 3 full runepages and half a dozen 6300 IP priced champs. From there you could spend $20 and get another 4-5 sale champs or just continue to earn IP for champs as you play.

I'm not saying that much IP comes easily but I don't understand the complaint that the barrier to being competitive is high because of IP

It's high because buying champs for a competitive game is fundamentally flawed at it's core. How much this really matters is definitely up for debate, but in a vacuum you can't have a perfectly balanced game if everyone doesn't own the same stable of champs to pick from.

That being said it's used as a crutch by to many people. You aren't losing because of this. It's an excuse. You in a general you=average LoL player sense lose because you just didn't play well enough, had bad team play, bad team comp, afkers, feeders ECT... verses the roster issue.

I do find it semi disingenuous in actual tournament level play though. Most of those people play so much though they own all the champs anyways.

Bigger problem with releasing new 6300 up champs every other week is rarely are the new champs balanced well out the gate. They tend to be OP/UP or just off.

When was the last time the next balance patch came out after a new champ had hit and said champ wasn't part of the balance patch? That should tell you something right there. Plus it feels like the more champs they add the harder it seems for Riot to keep things balanced overall.

Btw not saying this is easy. I'd fricking hate to be on Riot's balance team. That would be a nightmare to the MAX!

FoxSpirit

Depends on how fed the carry is. There is definitely a point where giving support a kill and a few CS will be more beneficial than simply taking kill no 20.

Anyone else unable to play?

It hangs at the server waiting message when I try to login. When I get in eventually I have no RP or IP and I can't play games or look at champions/stats.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk

Ashe
Morgana
Jax
Soraka
Kayle (go Dyrus!)
Kassadin
Anivia

Pretty much what Brettison said. Balance is mostly inconsequential in pubs, but if you want to start playing professionally you need the entire roster for specific strategies and a healty rune pool. That means you have to open your wallet or spend alot of time earning IP.

Volimar

Anyone else unable to play?

It hangs at the server waiting message when I try to login. When I get in eventually I have no RP or IP and I can't play games or look at champions/stats.

Edit - Actually strike that. Won't let me go into matchmaking. Just goes into a black page when I try to make a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom