• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

It's high because buying champs for a competitive game is fundamentally flawed at it's core. How much this really matters is definitely up for debate, but in a vacuum you can't have a perfectly balanced game if everyone doesn't own the same stable of champs to pick from.

That being said it's used as a crutch by to many people. You aren't losing because of this. It's an excuse. You in a general you=average LoL player sense lose because you just didn't play well enough, had bad team play, bad team comp, afkers, feeders ECT... verses the roster issue.

I do find it semi disingenuous in actual tournament level play though. Most of those people play so much though they own all the champs anyways.

Bigger problem with releasing new 6300 up champs every other week is rarely are the new champs balanced well out the gate. They tend to be OP/UP or just off.

When was the last time the next balance patch came out after a new champ had hit and said champ wasn't part of the balance patch? That should tell you something right there. Plus it feels like the more champs they add the harder it seems for Riot to keep things balanced overall.

Btw not saying this is easy. I'd fricking hate to be on Riot's balance team. That would be a nightmare to the MAX!

That's a good point. I guess the disparity here is you CAN'T be immediately competitive at a high level because of the level thing. You have to level up to 30. The time it takes to do that yields a pretty high amount of IP. I also believe that from a completely new player's standpoint, that leveling process is imperative to gaining the understanding necessary to play the game at that high level. Now an old DOTA player or something might feel the leveling to be too restrictive and would prefer to jump into higher skill games immediately. And then the lack of champions would be very restrictive.

I see the point though. Riot isn't directly selling power, but it's pretty close to it between the champion pool and runes.

I have over 30k IP. I'm level 25. I've only bought Ashe, Sivir, and Kat. Rammus, Alistair, and Tristana were free.

I could easily burn all my IP on 6300 heroes, but between the free and owned champs I can usually find someone to use. Plus at lower levels you don't usually find junglers, wards, or viable builds so you can afford to mess around a little.

Janna's ult counters Fiddle's ult pretty well.

zkylon

zkylewd
F is for Flash, D is everything else for me (I think I only use Teleport, Ignite and sometimes Heal since I don't play that many roles). My brain just has them set that way.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I am going to get a WTF here as I get it in game to a lot. My friends just expect it now though, and they don't mind. My one buddy who I was playing with a ton use to always be like "I don't know how you do it... yet you do it!"

A lot of the time I run Ignite/Exhaust and just say fuck it to flash if I'm playing AD Carry or sometimes on Mid/Top.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
F is for flash, D is for die (ignite) or don't die (heal, exhaust).

vhfive

I've always put flash/ghost on D and smite/ignite/exhaust on F.
I switched around by accident once and I kept flashing in the jungle when I tried to smite

I am going to get a WTF here as I get it in game to a lot. My friends just expect it now though, and they don't mind. My one buddy who I was playing with a ton use to always be like "I don't know how you do it... yet you do it!"

A lot of the time I run Ignite/Exhaust and just say fuck it to flash if I'm playing AD Carry or sometimes on Mid/Top.
I like running Heal/Exhaust top lane on occasion. Its so much fun to heal bait people because they never expect a heal coming from top lane.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Alistar is for kill lanes honestly, his sustain healing isn't huge and pushes your lane. Sona is more of a poking/sustain support instead of an all out kill lane.

Ken
Booboholic Member
(Today, 12:31 PM)

Dat Sona...

Alistar is my favourite support because his ridiculous CC never becomes useless. You just have to be careful not to heal the minions when you heal your carry, especially since a lot of people already inadvertently push the lane with bad last hitting.

Ken

Alistar is my favourite support because his ridiculous CC never becomes useless. You just have to be careful not to heal the minions when you heal your carry, especially since a lot of people already inadvertently push the lane with bad last hitting.

Yeah but you can't milk those.

Achtius

but you want to heal minions to screw up their ad carry :p

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Anyone else experiencing connection issues? It's been like this the whole day, can't even log in anymore.

Nope, but I've gotten this bug the past few days where it logs in, but the box below where you pick to start a game or go to your profile or store or whatever is just black. Nothing fixes it either. If I que for a game then I get a black screen at the character select screen.

I just have to restart LoL till it works.

Had a drunk guy on my first team. Lost that one.

Had a duo that... didn't talk to each other and bickered. Ended up with a Shen (who was meant to support) going top and me, Malphite spec'd for top, going support. We won that one.

Oh, LoL...

6 wins in a row when playing as Leona... weird that I feel like I carry games more on a support than anything else.

In this last game I 100-0'd a Xerath solo. On Leona. So much fun!

FoxSpirit

Yesterday evening at the bots:
Played Ahri twice, won my lane and score, discovered how ridiculous Will & Spirit visage is and still lost the games.

Later, third game, I go Ashe and end up with Gangplank bot. Grrreat. Died a lot, we still won. LoL.

Also, Karthus getting fed and with bot stats... omfg Ulti.

Zissou

feelsgoodman2ivyhn.jpg

Feels good man, feels good. My first 4v5 win where the dude who dc'd was gone for the entire time. Luckily we had an adaptable team comp.

garath

So what's that 100th char going to be? :) The last few champs have been jungle/top/support/ad so I'm hoping for a new AP champion. There's been a lot of talk about Kassadin's daughter. That might be fun. Hopefully she would have high mobility.. after all she is Kassadin's daughter. Master of riftwalk.

Sajjaja

After like a 4-5 month hiatus from LoL, I returned and decided to play a bot game with Rammus. Man I used to suck really hard with him, but I enjoyed that game a lot. Although we lost, I still did really well, 14/2/23.

I'll have to play him a versus game or with you guys sometime soon. Really fun champ when you do well with him. He was my first ever champion because I got him free for being a beta member but I absolutely sucked with him so I never played him. Also, King Rammus skin is freaking amazing.

zkylon

zkylewd
Longest match I've ever played, yesterday, 75 minutes. I went mid with Lux against Kog'Maw and held pretty ok but they took bot and top and then went about destroying all our towers until we had our backs against the Nexus. He held like half an hour in this state, winning most team fights and stealing Baron twice, but every time we pushed after a team fight we'd get backdoor'd by Nocturne or one of us would go by himself and get killed, etc. Eventually it was just too much for us, our own backdooring failed and we lost. I did pretty great though, 10 3 24 :)

That's a good point. I guess the disparity here is you CAN'T be immediately competitive at a high level because of the level thing. You have to level up to 30. The time it takes to do that yields a pretty high amount of IP. I also believe that from a completely new player's standpoint, that leveling process is imperative to gaining the understanding necessary to play the game at that high level. Now an old DOTA player or something might feel the leveling to be too restrictive and would prefer to jump into higher skill games immediately. And then the lack of champions would be very restrictive.

I see the point though. Riot isn't directly selling power, but it's pretty close to it between the champion pool and runes.
I agree about the level 30 point. Until that level it's fairly hard to grasp the basic fundamentals of the game and understand the majority of the characters unless you have some advanced friends you play with and even then I would still say it takes quite a bit of time. There are tons of bad level 30's who don't know the basics in ranked matches so that should be telling. I think the level barrier is important because a competitive player even if they know how to play other MOBAs well, still need to learn the differences between their previous MOBA and LoL. In terms of F2P I still think League is one of the fairest examples. Sure they aren't giving you all champs for free but 6300 IP is still fairly easy to earn every 2 weeks if you are playing at least 3 matches a day. And that's assuming you are trying to buy every champ.

Nope, but I've gotten this bug the past few days where it logs in, but the box below where you pick to start a game or go to your profile or store or whatever is just black. Nothing fixes it either. If I que for a game then I get a black screen at the character select screen.

I just have to restart LoL till it works.

I find that not alt-tabbing out of LoL when logging in works.

An excellent support player can "carry" his team. It's because you give your teammates a sense of security that they can go in and you'll do your part to protect them and/or shut down the other team. The other team also gets cautious if they think you have wards to see what they're doing.

It can get frustrating when your lane partner is chicken though. I was Janna laning with Kayle against a Yi and Warwick. They were both low and tower-hugging, yet Kayle never went in despite us being both at full health. I even aggro'ed the tower a couple times and put E on him, but nope he kept hanging back.

Hello LoLgaf, I've never really posted here but I wanted some opinions. I've been playing since december, and recently I've been playing pretty much exclusively bottom lane. I'd say AD carry is my better role but I also love playing me some support. SO I've been playing a lot of Lulu and doing really well, even in solo queue. However I've noticed that I literally NEVER see her picked, besides me. I feel like she's such a strong support and can have a huge impact in the game so this is kind of weird. Why does no one play her? Is it just the high price, or is she considered a worse pick than others?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Hello LoLgaf, I've never really posted here but I wanted some opinions. I've been playing since december, and recently I've been playing pretty much exclusively bottom lane. I'd say AD carry is my better role but I also love playing me some support. SO I've been playing a lot of Lulu and doing really well, even in solo queue. However I've noticed that I literally NEVER see her picked, besides me. I feel like she's such a strong support and can have a huge impact in the game so this is kind of weird. Why does no one play her? Is it just the high price, or is she considered a worse pick than others?
She's really good. People just tend to just copy what the pros pick in tournaments. And lately that has been Janna and Soraka.

She's really good. People just tend to just copy what the pros pick in tournaments. And lately that has been Janna and Soraka.

Yeah I figured that had something to do with it. Though I feel like she'd be pretty viable in tournament play too. That Janna passive is just too good I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom