• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathcart

Does anyone know of good youtube or streaming channels that focus on high level team? The Dota2 community has some nice youtube channels in Beyond The Summit and JoinDota. Hoping to find some for LoL.

I find that watching high level teams with announcing really helps you learn the game.

Go to Leaguepedia and look at any major tournament. They will usually have links to YouTube for a lot of the games with commentary. For example, here is every game from IPL 5.

zkylon

zkylewd
I've been playing with a level 8 friend of a friend and getting into the most ridiculous kind of matches. All the match turns into finding who the low level player is in the other team and exploiting her, even if I feel guilty afterwards. I just honor them and we're even lol

i just had the worst lol game in my career, i need to rant somewhere.

first my teammates had a dispute in champ select. 3 wanted to go top and everybody thought they said it first. well after sorting that out i had 0.1 seconds to pick my character and i needed to go jungle without really being good at it.

after the match began the enemy team invaded at blue. i warned them from blitzcrank pulls but they got fb, blitz picking one after the other. well that can happen but i told them to at least help me on red, well nobody came and they ganked me there too. nice.

this was just the beginning as they went 2 top and let the AD carry alone at bot. somehow they all managed to both feed and push their lanes without letting me any chance to gank, they stole jungle minions/buffs too. i was hopeless underfed and my team was like 2-20. wouldn't be that bad if they just surrendered but i got to play 40 minutes till the enemy team finally put us away.

the constant flaming didn't help either. why do i play this game again?
That's the life. Someone said it earlier, LoL is full of low lows and high highs, and you play it for the highs, which aren't all that infrequent, really.

scy

So weird, got invited to an ARAM in-house and I clicked Accept but nothing happened. And then I couldn't start a game myself. =\

If it makes you feel any better, we all hate you now.

You were in the lobby actually. And there for champ select. Left like right before the game would've started. Seen it happen a few other times with the mass invite games where someone somehow bugs out and accepts the invite (and joins the game) but nothing happens on their end. That said, I think the game starts with them just fine, they just don't get to select Runes/Masteries and just go with whatever they had on at the time.

Something something something, Adobe AIR folks.

That's the life. Someone said it earlier, LoL is full of low lows and high highs, and you play it for the highs, which aren't all that infrequent, really.

Honestly, the amount of shit games are pretty infrequent. Then again, I don't solo queue as much as everyone else so what do I know.

J0dy77

Shameless plug, but I record a lot of scrims/tournaments/exhibition matches between pro teams and put them on YouTube. They get taken down a lot, but some good stuff usually ends up sticking: http://www.youtube.com/user/LeagueESAN

No problem supporting a fellow GAFer, subscribed.

Go to Leaguepedia and look at any major tournament. They will usually have links to YouTube for a lot of the games with commentary. For example, here is every game from IPL 5.

Thanks for this. I'll check it out.

Cathcart

There was an episode of Lowelo a few months ago where they suggested renaming the role of AD Carry to the Corkigraves. "OK guys, we have a mid and top, just need a jungler, support and a corkigraves." Sadly for me, the only corkigraves I'm not terrible with is Ezreal. I gotta work on that.

scy

I was about to say, play more solo queue. Then tell me shit games are infrequent.

For all the complaining I did for it, the last minute Gold grind was pretty painless. A few bad games, sure, but I played a hard snowball carry typically so I just forced games to end. If I didn't, I failed at doing my job. I didn't have that many stupid throws, really.

The same applies for whenever we duo queue or not run a full premade and get randoms. Sometimes they work out better than if we had a full group. Sometimes we just play like goddamn morons.

Granted, I don't know what it's like at really low elo brackets. I'm talking about my experience from solo queuing Dominion when I played it a lot at 2k+ normal elo (aka irrelevant because Normal and irrelevant because Dominion!) and scrub Gold tier Ranked.

I might buy Caitlyn too. I dunno.

She's a good lane bully. She has trouble straight up all-in fighting someone like a Graves, MF, etc. would but she should also be able to just control a lane really well. Plus, she has a funny hat.

Funny hats > all.

mercviper

I was about to say, play more solo queue. Then tell me shit games are infrequent.

Personally, I find shit games to be infrequent even in solo queue. But maybe it's that it takes more shit to annoy me than normal people. :x

Speaking of, I should stop playing with GAF and solo queue ranked again at least until I get placed. I keep meaning to but I don't think I'm comfortable enough with my old main roles in S3. I've been playing a lot of mid/adc to get better at more champs in those roles, but I've focused so much that I feel out of practice in my support/jungle and I don't want to step into ranked feeling mediocre at everything. I think combined, I've played a champ I mained in S2 less than 20 games since S3 changes went through.

zkylon

zkylewd
For all the complaining I did for it, the last minute Gold grind was pretty painless. A few bad games, sure, but I played a hard snowball carry typically so I just forced games to end. If I didn't, I failed at doing my job. I didn't have that many stupid throws, really.

The same applies for whenever we duo queue or not run a full premade and get randoms. Sometimes they work out better than if we had a full group. Sometimes we just play like goddamn morons.

Granted, I don't know what it's like at really low elo brackets. I'm talking about my experience from solo queuing Dominion when I played it a lot at 2k+ normal elo (aka irrelevant because Normal and irrelevant because Dominion!) and scrub Gold tier Ranked.
How do you know your normal elo?

She's a good lane bully. She has trouble straight up all-in fighting someone like a Graves, MF, etc. would but she should also be able to just control a lane really well. Plus, she has a funny hat.

Funny hats > all.
There's nothing funny about her hat, mistah.

scy

Personally, I find shit games to be infrequent even in solo queue. But maybe it's that it takes more shit to annoy me than normal people. :x

I honestly think it's more people just not realizing what went wrong in games. "I had good score but we lost, gg team was shit." Not every game is "ADC had 5 cs by 10 minutes in, solo dives gg." And even if they were, it ignores any of the times it went in your favor. Solo queue a lot of times is who screws up hardest when it matters the most.

Speaking of, I should stop playing with GAF and solo queue ranked again at least until I get placed. I keep meaning to but I don't think I'm comfortable enough with my old main roles in S3. I've been playing a lot of mid/adc to get better at more champs in those roles, but I've focused so much that I feel out of practice in my support/jungle and I don't want to step into ranked feeling mediocre at everything. I think combined, I've played a champ I mained in S2 less than 20 games since S3 changes went through.

I have played one Katarina game that wasn't an ARAM.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I could hard carry solo queue games with basically any of my top lane choices so I at least have that; my Katarina and Eve are still good enough for a mid pick too so I have that covered. Not confident enough in my ADC to carry a solo queue game yet (which is why I keep wanting to practice it) and I just probably won't jungle Ranked ever. I'll just ks as Zyra support and call it a day.

I should probably do something about Ranked before they all inevitably get nerfed or something.

It used to be something you could track; I was just doing most of my solo queue spamming around that time. Plus being on the featured games list for the front page a few times when Dominion games ended up there.

mercviper

I honestly think it's more people just not realizing what went wrong in games. "I had good score but we lost, gg team was shit." Not every game is "ADC had 5 cs by 10 minutes in, solo dives gg." And even if they were, it ignores any of the times it went in your favor.

Maybe so? I didn't really have those types of games defined under shit games though. Shit games to me are the ones where people have 4v5 after giving FB, dual role calls followed by picks, etc. Playing poorly or having a lane get severely outplayed don't count. In that context, I very rarely get shit games. If I counted every time a lane did poorly or that I had a person who couldn't play his role as a bad game, I'd probably be counting around 60-75% of my solo q experiences. It's a good thing it's a team game and you can play around having bad starts.

What's more common, though still somewhat infrequent, is a really really good game, where everyone agrees and wins their lane. This type of game normally ends up in a win, but throws happen. This also has happened more often since the introduction of the honor system.
Solo queue a lot of times is who screws up hardest when it matters the most.
This is why I can't pick someone like Malphite in ranked anymore. The fights turn out to hinge on me deciding the best time to initiate and all the responsibility invariably causes me to crack and throw the game. At the same time, the feeling of dodging/preventing an enemy Malphite ult or equivalent is such a good high.

Ferga

BIG SECRET TIME

I tend to have some great fucking team work in 70% of my solo queue games. Some even better than gaf games.

Like everyone would just mesh together. If i'm ever fed as an AD carry, i would have everyone peeling for me.

Baron fights are amazing too. It's not just a complete stand still, there'll be safe and coordinated poking and then a complete engage with no hesitation.

This is just normal draft though. I was around 1900elo for normal draft last June and my wins over losses have gone up by at least 80 since then so yeah.

My gold ranked games are terrible. Hard as shit to carry even if i'm fed as AD. A lot of trolls and ragers too.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
BIG SECRET TIME

I tend to have some great fucking team work in 70% of my solo queue games. Some even better than gaf games.

Like everyone would just mesh together. If i'm ever fed as an AD carry, i would have everyone peeling for me.

Baron fights are amazing too. It's not just a complete stand still, there'll be safe and coordinated poking and then a complete engage with no hesitation.

This is just normal draft though. I was around 1900elo for normal draft last June and my wins over losses have gone up by at least 80 since then so yeah.

My gold ranked games are terrible. Hard as shit to carry even if i'm fed as AD. A lot of trolls and ragers too.

Ranked brings out the worst in us?

scy

Maybe so? I didn't really have those types of games defined under shit games though. Shit games to me are the ones where people have 4v5 after giving FB, dual role calls followed by picks, etc.

I agree with your definition. I was just using the one that most people seem to complain about. "My team lost me this game I did well in" reactions. X lane fed, Y didn't do this, etc. etc. If it's just about double lanes or no support or ragequits, sure. But I don't think every single "I HATE SOLO QUEUE" post are those games.

If I counted every time a lane did poorly or that I had a person who couldn't play his role as a bad game, I'd probably be counting around 60-75% of my solo q experiences.

100% of my any game experience. We all suck!

But, seriously, yeah. I don't really consider a lost lane (besides my own, because I hate myself) as a bad game. I consider throws a badly played game but that's still a team effort (i.e., yourself included); lost lanes happen. Deal with it. If you only know how to play when every single lane wins then ... well, that's kind of a problem.

This is why I can't pick someone like Malphite in ranked anymore. The fights turn out to hinge on me deciding the best time to initiate and all the responsibility invariably causes me to crack and throw the game. At the same time, the feeling of dodging/preventing an enemy Malphite ult or equivalent is such a good high.

This is why I don't like ADC or Jungle that much. I know late game ADC is basically the carry and I'd hate to fuck that up. I've gotten over it a bit since I'm pretty comfortable in my mechanics anyway but ... still. That and League of Assassins so :lol I'll die and I can just qq about things being imbalanced rather than learn how to play!

But Jungle ... fuck. I can't do that. Blamed by every lane if I/they screw up?! Nope. I'm too weak for that.

This doesn't surprise me in the slightest, honestly.

Also, I'm a shitty peeler since I almost always play damage builds when I'm top (or tanky divers like Nidalee, Elise). I'm pretty sure this has fucked us over many times at some point. Which is why I really dislike Kog'maw comps :x

There was an episode of Lowelo a few months ago where they suggested renaming the role of AD Carry to the Corkigraves. "OK guys, we have a mid and top, just need a jungler, support and a corkigraves." Sadly for me, the only corkigraves I'm not terrible with is Ezreal. I gotta work on that.

The big problem with ADC balance right now is that Riot has shoehorned the entire roster into getting extremely farmed or being useless. Since very few of them offer any sort of utility to the team, people are more likely to play the ones that are OP in lane in terms of getting kills or being able to safely farm. Corki, Ez, and Graves simply have the best kits to do this. It is a problem they cab't fix without fixing the shittier kits (Trist for example) or seriously tweaking stats.

If it makes you feel any better, we all hate you now.

You were in the lobby actually. And there for champ select. Left like right before the game would've started. Seen it happen a few other times with the mass invite games where someone somehow bugs out and accepts the invite (and joins the game) but nothing happens on their end. That said, I think the game starts with them just fine, they just don't get to select Runes/Masteries and just go with whatever they had on at the time.

Something something something, Adobe AIR folks.

I guess that was a last-second dodge? I ended up logging out and in so if the game actually started I would've reconnected.

Sorry. :(

Blizzard

Banned
God damn you guys are hard on yourselves. I know GAF is bad but we're not THAT bad.

I suck ass.
I'm probably hard on myself -- it drives me nuts when I miss big minions, and I feel bad when I let teams down, and in solo queue I'm generally trying to carry, and last night I was worrying about doing so little Katarina damage and feeling like I sucked.

People even get mad in ARAM games though. My highlight was going AD Sona and having 5k more damage than anyone else on my team (followed by Bind's blitzcrank -- great grabs but no team to back him up).

scy

I guess that was a last-second dodge? I ended up logging out and in so if the game actually started I would've reconnected.

Sorry. :(

lol, not a big deal. Yeah, it just ended up being a dodge. We figured it was more of a "something happened" dodge rather than "qq don't like this champion" dodge.

God damn you guys are hard on yourselves. I know GAF is bad but we're not THAT bad.

I suck ass.

I just like to be critical.

mercviper

I'm probably hard on myself -- it drives me nuts when I miss big minions, and I feel bad when I let teams down, and in solo queue I'm generally trying to carry, and last night I was worrying about doing so little Katarina damage and feeling like I sucked.

People even get mad in ARAM games though. My highlight was going AD Sona and having 5k more damage than anyone else on my team (followed by Bind's blitzcrank -- great grabs but no team to back him up).

Dude it's because you're too (for lack of a better word) selfish when you play. You random into champs made to initiate but don't initiate with them. Taking the Galio example from last night: You wouldn't initiate with an ult because you were too afraid that you would be interrupted without a Morgana shield on you. While that is a somewhat legit concern, keep in mind that placing a Morg shield on you preemptively a) gives away the surprise of your instant cast ability/engage and b) might be whittled down before you make it to them which ends up in no shield at all and then you're back to step 1 but with less health and no shield and an almost perfect counter-engage opportunity by the other team. This also assumes a) the other team is perfect and b) we're (your team) incompetent, which is kind of insulting to your teammates.

Realistically, all you have to do is give us a heads up and then we'll be ready for it while the other team isn't. If Morgana doesn't shield you when you engage after that, it's her fault for not paying attention, unless she's on the clear other side of the map. If you don't even engage in the first place, there's nobody to place the blame upon except for you. I mean, you did eventually start giving us heads up and stuff, and at that point it was on us to not engage when you had ~15 seconds before ult was up, but man it was such a chore to even get you to consider it in the first place. :/

Blizzard

Banned
Dude it's because you're too (for lack of a better word) selfish when you play. You random into champs made to initiate but don't initiate with them. Taking the Galio example from last night: You wouldn't initiate with an ult because you were too afraid that you would be interrupted without a Morgana shield on you. While that is a somewhat legit concern, keep in mind that placing a Morg shield on you preemptively a) gives away the surprise of your instant cast ability/engage and b) might be whittled down before you make it to them which ends up in no shield at all and then you're back to step 1 but with less health and no shield and an almost perfect counter-engage opportunity by the other team. This also assumes a) the other team is perfect and b) we're (your team) incompetent, which is kind of insulting to your teammates.

Realistically, all you have to do is give us a heads up and then we'll be ready for it while the other team isn't. If Morgana doesn't shield you when you engage after that, it's her fault for not paying attention, unless she's on the clear other side of the map. If you don't even engage in the first place, there's nobody to place the blame upon except for you. I mean, you did eventually start giving us heads up and stuff, and at that point it was on us to not engage when you had ~15 seconds before ult was up, but man it was such a chore to even get you to consider it in the first place. :/
I apologize. I'm not a good player to begin with, but tank and support are probably my worst roles precisely because I make poor judgment decisions in regard to analyzing situations and knowing when to engage.

I think I also had to play tank/peel/initiation/support characters for 5 ARAM's in a row which was a little frustrating to me. I also apologize if I came across as insulting to teammates.

Sometimes winning or losing games depends purely on your ability to sync with your teammates.

Sometimes you get teams that do this with little verbal communication.

Other times you get teams that can't do this at all and just troll up the team chat.

Other times you get teams that all get in mumble but barely say anything then proceed to lay blame after a loss.

In terms of people I know there's only one I could sync up with perfectly, but we don't play together anymore.

Ashhong

Solo bot Ezreal, with 2 top teammates that fed a solo Jayce 10-1, and still I win the game 21-2. Maybe it's the people I've been going against, but I have just been destroying with Ezreal. Didn't like him in the past because of his skill shots, but now.....goddamn.

mercviper

I apologize. I'm not a good player to begin with, but tank and support are probably my worst roles precisely because I make poor judgment decisions in regard to analyzing situations and knowing when to engage.

I think I also had to play tank/peel/initiation/support characters for 5 ARAM's in a row which was a little frustrating to me. I also apologize if I came across as insulting to teammates.

So formal. :O

No real need for the apology. I was just pointing out things from my perspective. I want you to get better at this game too, which is why I try to advise on tactics, especially in cases where you don't know how to play the character. It's a bit hard to give a fully detailed explanation mid-game when things are timing sensitive though.

Also, another thing I see you do consistently in ARAM is when you're doing well (not dying) and it gets to the ~10 minute mark you just feed yourself to the enemy when you want to buy because you have 2/3/4k gold in your bank. :< It's really counter-intuitive to not just wait for a time we ace the enemy before suiciding, or to just wait it out and grab health kits until you're full again. Sure, you may die against a team that's heavy poke even when you're sitting in the back line, but even then you only give gold to 1 person when that happens and zero assist gold. Basically I'm just saying you should make them earn that bounty instead of just giving it away. There's really no item you can consider a 'must-have' early except like, tear of the goddess. You'll also still be effective w/o items until it gets to the point in which you aren't, at which time you'll have stayed in lane long enough to get farm/assists that when you buy you should be ahead of your opponents in gold.

I guess if you aren't having fun staying alive, that's a valid reason, but stop giving me bullshit about needing to buy!

zkylon

zkylewd
So formal. :O

No real need for the apology. I was just pointing out things from my perspective. I want you to get better at this game too, which is why I try to advise on tactics, especially in cases where you don't know how to play the character. It's a bit hard to give a fully detailed explanation mid-game when things are timing sensitive though.

Also, another thing I see you do consistently in ARAM is when you're doing well (not dying) and it gets to the ~10 minute mark you just feed yourself to the enemy when you want to buy because you have 2/3/4k gold in your bank. :< It's really counter-intuitive to not just wait for a time we ace the enemy before suiciding, or to just wait it out and grab health kits until you're full again. Sure, you may die against a team that's heavy poke even when you're sitting in the back line, but even then you only give gold to 1 person when that happens and zero assist gold. Basically I'm just saying you should make them earn that bounty instead of just giving it away. There's really no item you can consider a 'must-have' early except like, tear of the goddess. You'll also still be effective w/o items until it gets to the point in which you aren't, at which time you'll have stayed in lane long enough to get farm/assists that when you buy you should be ahead of your opponents in gold.

I guess if you aren't having fun staying alive, that's a valid reason, but stop giving me bullshit about needing to buy!
Suiciding in ARAM is a big no-no for me.

Be a man.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

I don't think its possible anymore, but you can get a general idea by checking your enemy's stats post game. See how many platium/gold/silver/unranked is in the other team will give you a general idea.

BIG SECRET TIME

Is that why you have a habit of initialing without saying anything in mumble, may be 8 months ago I will follow up when my jungler come gang my lane, or when my tank decided they want to fight.

After so many premade games with gaffers calling my mia, warn me about incoming jungle (with both ping and mumble screaming), track all buff/objective timer, ward both side of my lane, sometime even the ult/teleport cd of the dude laning against me.

I can't do shit anymore, if you are jungler trying to help my lane, or planning to start a teamfight. Make sure you guys ping at least 3 times + scream in mumble over and over, I am getting old, and spoiled.

Taking solo queue seriously is just a recipe for pain and anguish.

Need to balance it out with a healthy dose of Monster Girl Quest.

Blizzard

Banned
Suiciding in ARAM is a big no-no for me.

Be a man.
Same for me in general, which is why I end up with 3000-4000 gold if I'm on a killstreak sometimes. Sometimes I've asked people not to follow if I suicide to buy, but usually I agree, I just stick it out and heal up with healthkits.

Unfortunately a lot of the times if I die it's probably because I'm being stupid or careless, rather than intentionally trying to die.

Unless of course it's a matter of suiciding on the enemy tower after the other team is aced, that's all fun and games even if people in ARAM tell you that it's cheating and Riot clearly didn't intend for it to be possible. :p
Was playing Dominion and Darius called out Garen for KS'ing.

No joke.
It takes one to know one I guess!

brian!

BIG SECRET TIME

yah me too, ppl do better in solo q

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
People are less pressured in normals as opposed to ranked. So they are more chilled and don't freak out over little mistakes and end up playing better.

Need to balance it out with a healthy dose of Monster Girl Quest.

You know it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It sounds like you just need to play Sejuani until you're used to it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Same for me in general, which is why I end up with 3000-4000 gold if I'm on a killstreak sometimes. Sometimes I've asked people not to follow if I suicide to buy, but usually I agree, I just stick it out and heal up with healthkits.

Unfortunately a lot of the times if I die it's probably because I'm being stupid or careless, rather than intentionally trying to die.

Unless of course it's a matter of suiciding on the enemy tower after the other team is aced, that's all fun and games even if people in ARAM tell you that it's cheating and Riot clearly didn't intend for it to be possible. :p
I don't like suiciding in ARAM, ever.

It just feels cheap, I think it makes for really funny times when half the enemy team has like two full items and you're barely hanging on your level one boots...

Was playing Dominion and Darius called out Garen for KS'ing.

No joke.
lol

Watch Aphromoo support video. Play Leona. Shit on them. BOF PORBLEMS SOLVED.
Then you Q and you kite and THEN YOU BLOW THEM UP OH MY GAWD SAHPPORT IS SO EASY DUDDDE

Falling in love with Twisted Treeline.

Been chosing strong jungle farmers and taking CV and Smite. Only lost 1 out of 6 or so games doing this because we are almost always 1 level above the other team and CV shuts down ganks.

So far Trynd, Shy, Darius, Riven, and Xin seem really strong at this role. Trynd especially...man, I've been getting farmed and just shitting on everything. It's like I get to a point where the enemy team literally cannot ace us because I am always left standing. It was much crazier for him on the old TT but he still does well here.

scy

So far Trynd, Shy, Darius, Riven, and Xin seem really strong at this role. Trynd especially...man, I've been getting farmed and just shitting on everything. It's like I get to a point where the enemy team literally cannot ace us because I am always left standing. It was much crazier for him on the old TT but he still does well here.

Trynd is pretty easy to shut down early game but he really does become a goddamn monster late game.

The other four are all some of the best picks in TT :x Darius is in his own tier.

Blizzard

Banned
Is anyone else continuing to have horrible lag off and on for the last four days? Some games it's fine, then last game again I would have Ezreal's Q and autoattacks apparently firing but not doing damage, and then things would be fine, and then clicking a ping would have a 2-3 second lag, and then clicking a ping would be instant...I almost wish it would just stay constant so I could at least adjust for it.

Right now PVP chat works, but the client thinks it's connected, I can't start a game, can't close the client, etc. X(

Guesong

Welp, Riot Games support is so slow in this holiday season.

Bought the Digital Collector Pack + a couple of on-sale heroes shortly before New Year, and now they all vanished from my Owned Collection despite clearly having being bought in my purchase history. And they all say "Not Refundable" now.

A quick glance at the forums tell me I'm not the only one, but it's a real bummer. I was really looking forward playing some Zilean, and now I must wait.

Blargh.

IN OTHER NEWS, I oddly find myself really enjoying LoL. I'll try to catch you guys on Mumble as soon as this problem is resolved.

Welp, Riot Games support is so slow in this holiday season.

Bought the Digital Collector Pack + a couple of on-sale heroes shortly before New Year, and now they all vanished from my Owned Collection despite clearly having being bought in my purchase history. And they all say "Not Refundable" now.

A quick glance at the forums tell me I'm not the only one, but it's a real bummer. I was really looking forward playing some Zilean, and now I must wait.

Blargh.

IN OTHER NEWS, I oddly find myself really enjoying LoL. I'll try to catch you guys on Mumble as soon as this problem is resolved.

Maybe you'll get some bonus RP for the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom