• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've suddenly gotten hooked on the MOBA scene after years of avoiding the learning curve and getting crushed. Been going back and forth between dota2 and LoL. While I love the the overall theme from dota2 (mature dark fantasy) and the better overall production from valve..LoL has me hooked. I can't stop playing.

The gameplay seems to be easier to get into and I'm getting more attached to the champions in LoL. Xin, Riven, Alistar, Amumu are all a ton of fun.

I'm looking for some recommendations on your favorite characters? I'm going to focus in buying the 1350 IP toons to maximize my value. Thinking Evelynn, Cho'gath, TF and Amumu next. Who else should I focus on? (I have Ashe, Garen, Nunu, Yi, kayle)

Summoner name: ars2x add me to the list please and if anyone wants to help a beginner let me know.

I hope you didn't buy Alistar since he's free along with Tristana, plus an ugly skin for each.

You should get an AP Carry. Evelynn and TF are good choices. They have great lane sustain and amazing ganking capabilities. Down the 450IP, Ryze is a tanky mana carry. Cho is a versatile champ who can do like nearly every role in the game so he can't be counterpicked.

If like irritating the hell out of the enemy you might enjoy Teemo. Irritating to fight, and irritating throughout the game. His ult is basically free wards that hurt a lot if you step on them, and slows you a ton. You will get focused because everyone hates that annoying rat.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm looking for some recommendations on your favorite characters? I'm going to focus in buying the 1350 IP toons to maximize my value. Thinking Evelynn, Cho'gath, TF and Amumu next. Who else should I focus on? (I have Ashe, Garen, Nunu, Yi, kayle)
Mundo? Mundo.
Your only choice is to become a Poppy master now.
Your avatar...

Blizzard

Banned
I think I'd almost rather not have too many creatures since I don't like the style and creatures of DOTA 2 much compared to the humans and humanoids of LoL (and anthropomorphized animals like warwick). When there are lots of creatures or monsters I feel like they A) I may not like their styles as much and B) they will all get mecha skins and I won't be able to tell what's going on.

Did I hear the word boobs?

Fvx5RZDiCc3KkTs8PYzjd6AMXGe9SoQhqbWUrpga.jpg

bjaelke

Any updates on a possible Karma rework? Haven't really had a chance to follow the scene lately but it appears that I now own her.

Gather round folks, and hear the legendary tale of Riven the Carry.

HU8A5.jpg

The dastardly Warwick Dc'd after he got invaded at blue and gave away first blood. Although Riven battered Garen up top, it looked like all was lost when Fizz started trouncing out Akali in mid. Bot lane was doing fine in lane phase, kill trade was pretty even although luckily the enemy Nami got the kills and not Ez. However, The mighty Lee Sin started ganking bot, and Fizz picked some more easy kills.

Then, when lane phase broke, Riven the Carry shone like a beam of glorious light, vanquishing all in her path, or at least setting up all the kills.

Indeed, Riven carried the game to the point where even Akali got fed, picking up an easy quadra at the end.

Her 3 comrades were carried hard.

But who was this "Riven the Carry"? Well, children, it was I. The legendary Riven the Carry.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
My brother borrowed my account when I was gone and that was his way of saying thank you.

It's not all bad man, I actually won a game as Karma once! Of course 3 people on the other team disconnected half-way through the game but that's only because they feared the Mantra.

J0dy77

I hope you didn't buy Alistar since he's free along with Tristana, plus an ugly skin for each.

You should get an AP Carry. Evelynn and TF are good choices. They have great lane sustain and amazing ganking capabilities. Down the 450IP, Ryze is a tanky mana carry. Cho is a versatile champ who can do like nearly every role in the game so he can't be counterpicked.

If like irritating the hell out of the enemy you might enjoy Teemo. Irritating to fight, and irritating throughout the game. His ult is basically free wards that hurt a lot if you step on them, and slows you a ton. You will get focused because everyone hates that annoying rat.

Thanks for the reply. I did pick up Evelynn last night, took me a littel while to realize I should be spamming hate spike. Also, not sure why I couldn't use it while in stealth at times. Have to get some better burst items on her for the increased damage. Is it better to open or close with her ultimate?

I picked up Alistar since I don't have a facebook account, not a huge deal for me. I do have Ryze already and will probably go Cho, Amumu and TF next (not sure on the order).

Is Lee Sin that good? Should I just bank the points for him?

Thanks for the reply. I did pick up Evelynn last night, took me a littel while to realize I should be spamming hate spike. Also, not sure why I couldn't use it while in stealth at times. Have to get some better burst items on her for the increased damage. Is it better to open or close with her ultimate?

I picked up Alistar since I don't have a facebook account, not a huge deal for me. I do have Ryze already and will probably go Cho, Amumu and TF next (not sure on the order).

Is Lee Sin that good? Should I just bank the points for him?

I wouldn't pick up Lee Sin until you really get into the game. He's one of the more high skilled champs to play.

J0dy77

I wouldn't pick up Lee Sin until you really get into the game. He's one of the more high skilled champs to play.

But I'm pro already? I own the beginner bots like nothing. ;)

I don't plan on picking up any of the higher cost characters unless they go on sale. Picked up Riven last week and will do the same for Lee Sin. How's Jayce, worth the price while he's on sale?

Loving Evelynn, the burst and surprise value are real nice.

Is it better to open or close with her ultimate?
As much as possible, you should open with the ultimate.

Usually, she goes Deathfire Grasp > R > E > QQQQQQQ. You can also use W if you're going it for the kill, but it leaves you with less escape options.

During lane, Eve basically pushes the lane by spamming Q. Once it's pushed enough she roams to other lanes to gank, then goes back to her lane.

Jayce is also one of the more fiddly champions, but the skill ceiling is nowhere as high as Lee Sin.

If you're already owning beginner bots you should move on to intermediate. They still pose a threat of beating you if you don't snowball and end the match quickly.

Cathcart

But I'm pro already? I own the beginner bots like nothing. ;)

I don't plan on picking up any of the higher cost characters unless they go on sale. Picked up Riven last week and will do the same for Lee Sin. How's Jayce, worth the price while he's on sale?

Loving Evelynn, the burst and surprise value are real nice.

Jayce has a great kit. He basically has 7 abilities so you're never completely off cooldown, there's always something he can do. He can be melee, he can be ranged, he's got a knockback and an amazing poke. He's a solid top lane pick and you could also play him mid.

Design-wise he is like the worst champion in LoL. So generic and boring. He's like Buzz Lightyear but without being funny, if you can imagine that. The full metal skin is alright cause it looks kinda like a Metroid skin but it's still not worth it because you can still see the boring through the metal.

scy

Jayce has a great kit. He basically has 7 abilities so you're never completely off cooldown, there's always something he can do. He can be melee, he can be ranged, he's got a knockback and an amazing poke. He's a solid top lane pick and you could also play him mid.

While he does have all that, he's not amazing (/dominating) in lane anymore. He's less of an engage/disengage fighter now and more a poke with a good disengage. His early game is mediocre (unless he's given free harass) and he doesn't bring a lot in late game fights for many compositions. For instance, if the comp is dive heavy, he doesn't really add much to it by virtue of how his kit works. He's at his best in a team where he can safely Cannon QE poke for awhile.

Gather round folks, and hear the legendary tale of Riven the Carry.

I really wouldn't get a Frozen Mallet on Riven. Her E scaling means she wants to prioritize mostly AD (especially since it's leveled last). Especially now that it's more cost efficient than ever. Black Cleaver -> Bloodthirster -> Last Whisper / Randuin's (order depends on priority).

If you really want the Phage proc, get it from a Warden's Mail -> Randuin's.

Open with it. Evelynn is best suited as someone who tries to make things happen across the map. Look for opportunities to appear in bot or top lane when the enemy is pushed beyond the middle of the lane (e.g., closer to your tower than theirs). Use her W once you're around detection range and Ult->Q->E->QQQQQQ->E->QQQQQQ->E->...

Basically, never stop pressing Q when you're in a fight. Even if you're retreating from a fight, keep hitting Q. It has no cast animation so it doesn't slow you down.

Always Q. Always. Just hammer the key.

As for not being able to use it when in stealth ... er, you should never be able to use it while not visible barring being in a bush. The range is too low (500) so you should be well within detection range (700). It's a really short range skill. If nothing is in range, you can't use the skill so keep that in mind as well.

I really wouldn't get a Frozen Mallet on Riven. Her E scaling means she wants to prioritize mostly AD (especially since it's leveled last). Especially now that it's more cost efficient than ever. Black Cleaver -> Bloodthirster -> Last Whisper / Randuin's (order depends on priority).

If you really want the Phage proc, get it from a Warden's Mail -> Randuin's.

Was just going for some durability and damage, as well as the Phage proc. Worked pretty well if I'm honest.

scy

Just commenting that it's not the most efficient route for Riven. She doesn't desperately need Health early game and her high mobility sort of negates the usefulness of a slow anyway. It's more apparent now when the difference between a Phage and a BF Sword is less than 100 gold (1465 Gold vs 1550 Gold). With how Riven's all-in combo works (R, E animation cancel + gap close, QWQQ with autos weaved), she doesn't really need the slow.

If it worked, it worked. I'm just saying.

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone else been lagging like crazy every few games over the last 2-3 days? I've seen people on both teams complaining about it. Some people may lag out, others may crash, others may merely lag...and it's not like "oh I have 400 ping" lag most of the time, it's more like "I have 80-180 ping like semi-normal yet it feels like 500+ ping and sometimes things will speedwarp around". Someone described it as "desync lag".

Also I'm assuming it's unrelated, but I noticed an annoying thing recently while playing ARAM: If Lee Sin hits Q on someone, he can do the Q + W combination to damage and retreat so quickly that as far as I can tell, there is literally NO animation. The damage just appears, and Lee Sin appears at the retreat location with the shield. I don't know if it's a glitch, if it's an artifact of the aforementioned lag, or what, but the player I was playing against did it maybe 4 different times.

Ken

Has anyone else been lagging like crazy every few games over the last 2-3 days? I've seen people on both teams complaining about it. Some people may lag out, others may crash, others may merely lag...and it's not like "oh I have 400 ping" lag most of the time, it's more like "I have 80-180 ping like semi-normal yet it feels like 500+ ping and sometimes things will speedwarp around". Someone described it as "desync lag".

Also I'm assuming it's unrelated, but I noticed an annoying thing recently while playing ARAM: If Lee Sin hits Q on someone, he can do the Q + W combination to damage and retreat so quickly that as far as I can tell, there is literally NO animation. The damage just appears, and Lee Sin appears at the retreat location with the shield. I don't know if it's a glitch, if it's an artifact of the aforementioned lag, or what, but the player I was playing against did it maybe 4 different times.

I'm not sure if the second part of Q does damage if he does W immediately. I've had a few Lee Sins do that to me top lane recently where it was difficult to land an AA on them too. The good news is they're burning energy and two abilities to do minimal damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom