• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lane gank, go through jungle to tribush, show up at bot to instill the fear onto their bot lane , ask bot to get pink, get pink yourself

From my experience showing up doesn't do anything other than let the other enemy lanes know where you are. The expectation being that if you gank/show up at all you get a kill/force a flash/ or force someone to go back to base. Otherwise you pose no threat because you are not doing anything that's threatening and you are losing out on farm/experience.

Assuming your approach is warded, you can't get an immediate successful gank unless the laner destroys the ward, because if you destroy it yourself your location will be revealed and naturally the enemy(s) in lane will play defensive because they know you're there.

This is all under the assumption that the person asking for the gank is expecting an immediate successful gank, which is 95% of gank requests in solo queue. This does not apply to players who do not ward or do not pay attention to the wards they place.

Barring absent-minded players, the only way I can see ganks against warded lanes and attentive players working is if you are Lee Sin, or a jungler with high mobility and/or long range initiation, like Rammus, Sejuani, Nocturne, or Hecarim along with the laner(s) assistance.

Most of the time when I see "I NEED GANKZ NAOW!!!!" though it's because the teammate in question is losing/low on health and can't really help out in a gank without dying.

The 2 p's of jungling. Presence and Pressure

I think my first response covers this.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
welp, shyv vs naut turns out to be as easy as i expected it to be.

i dont think he got a single buff beyond his starting blue. 4 level difference at the 20 minute mark.
cass hits like a truck though...

zkylon

zkylewd
What about Rengar? Is Rengar cool?
He seems pretty good, but I like him better top, where he can constantly make use of brushes to bully his lane to victory. Also he's fucking annoying since you're constantly calling mias because he's never in sight and you never know when he might use his ult.

I'm weirded out I'm getting asked opinions on tops/junglers, I'm terrible at both haha

COOLDOWN: 90 / 80 / 70

Without any cooldown reduction.
Cho's Q is 9 seconds. Rammus and Ammumu have 10ish second ganks. Waiting for, say, 50 seconds to get another chance at a decent gank seems too much for my tastes, is all.

They have other uses and their ganks are a lot more deadly/easy but still.

From my experience showing up doesn't do anything other than let the other enemy lanes know where you are. The expectation being that if you gank/show up at all you get a kill/force a flash/ or force someone to go back to base. Otherwise you pose no threat because you are not doing anything that's threatening and you are losing out on farm/experience.

Assuming your approach is warded, you can't get an immediate successful gank unless the laner destroys the ward, because if you destroy it yourself your location will be revealed and naturally the enemy(s) in lane will play defensive because they know you're there.

This is all under the assumption that the person asking for the gank is expecting an immediate successful gank, which is 95% of gank requests in solo queue. This does not apply to players who do not ward or do not pay attention to the wards they place.

Barring absent-minded players, the only way I can see ganks against warded lanes and attentive players working is if you are Lee Sin, or a jungler with high mobility and/or long range initiation, like Rammus, Sejuani, Nocturne, or Hecarim along with the laner(s) assistance.

Most of the time when I see "I NEED GANKZ NAOW!!!!" though it's because the teammate in question is losing/low on health and can't really help out in a gank without dying.
Yeah I don't think ganking and not getting a kill/tower/burnt flash is worth it on 90% of the times. It's cool if you want to take some pressure off a lane or force a base so you can snatch dragon or something but otherwise I find it's pretty useless. Guy just backs off, loses 10 creeps, goes back.

Also I have no fucking idea how to gank bot lol.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This makes me sad. Jungle ww is great when you are new and have no runes like me.
Just play Fiddlesticks or something.
welp, shyv vs naut turns out to be as easy as i expected it to be.

i dont think he got a single buff beyond his starting blue. 4 level difference at the 20 minute mark.
cass hits like a truck though...
Consider yourself lucky or playing against someone unskilled. Shyv is so useless right now.

Snowman

If one of your lanes is a bit behind early on, "just showing up" can actually help quite a bit, at the very least it forces the enemy to back off and let your teammates get some cs, which obviously isn't anything crazy, but if you're near the lane anyway, and you've killed all the jungle creeps on that side of the map, it's probably worth your time.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Do Wolves > Blue > Wraiths > (Either level 2 mid gank or wait for wolves) > Red > (Gank top or mid or bot)

Golems do just as much damage as red, so I wouldn't do them before red.

Also, this is your set path, but once you hit level 3, you should gank based on what lanes need help/camping, and what lanes are low/gankable.
I don't do red before golems because I don't think it's safe to do without smite, both for yourself and your buff.
compared to naut? i did wraith/red/wolves/blue and still got to his red before he did. its just a horribly shyv favoured fight.
I would still probably take Naut over Shyvana. Sounds like he was just bad. In most situations counter jungling just isn't very valuable or worthwhile right now and Shyvana has no other strengths.

zkylon

zkylewd
If one of your lanes is a bit behind early on, "just showing up" can actually help quite a bit, at the very least it forces the enemy to back off and let your teammates get some cs, which obviously isn't anything crazy, but if you're near the lane anyway, and you've killed all the jungle creeps on that side of the map, it's probably worth your time.
Yeah, taking off pressure is kinda good but a kill in a tied lane can push things in your favor and then you got that guy roaming or getting fed, etc.

It varies match to match, but rule of thumb is that kill>no kill, right? :)

I don't do red before golems because I don't think it's safe to do without smite, both for yourself and your buff.
Yup, I guess I'll move to wolves->blue->wraiths->golems->red->gank->wraiths/wolves->gank/base.

For some reason I always forgot about this before today...

Macattk15

Holy shit that's brutal. Q's apparently nerfed a bit too.

Also, new Kayle skin is BAWS. Lightsaber? YES PLEASE

Playing just one role isn't ever good. You might be really good at playing that guy but it serves to know many different champions and to understand the trials and tribulations we all go through.

I know I'm finding enlightening to play jungle for the first time.

I'd buy the new Kayle skin if she didn't suck.

Feature

Banned
Should the banner item be able to promote an enemy minion so you can make the minions push the lane in your favour (towards your own tower)? I think that would add some incentive on buying that item.

Macattk15

Kayle is seeing a lot of play (and bans) in OGN so she can't be all bad.

I played her mid in a game yesterday hybrid AD/AP and beat a Zed with her by leveling Q>R>E>W priorities.

I could pump out damage but I was pretty squishy.

Maybe I should try building her like I would build a tanky top?

IsayFever

I played her mid in a game yesterday hybrid AD/AP and beat a Zed with her by leveling Q>R>E>W priorities.

I could pump out damage but I was pretty squishy.

Maybe I should try building her like I would build a tanky top?

Or try building her correctly....

Got my first bugsplat yesterday night when trying to pm a friend through the league taskbar icon thing.

Had to restart pc and got in game at 4 min mark. was 2.5 levels behind by the time I got in bot lane. Miserable game. I couldn't take advantage of Leona's early game advantage because of being underleveled.

i played my first five ranked and won them comfortably with good stats then my friend convinced/nagged me to play duo queue and he's terrible so we lost four games. now i'm scared to play out my last game and get crappy elo. should i just roll a new account or can i climb up again?

Willectro

Banned
I tried out Darius last night for a couple games and he is pretty decent. I would imagine some people would argue he is OP.

I want to try out Jax sometime this week.

y2dvd

Pfft, I'm complete shit and I post in here all the time.

It's kinda weird for me. It's like I was too ashamed to post here because I know I can do better lol.

I get bored of playing one role really quickly, but I wanna get really good at one instead of just getting slightly better at all of them slowly, help?

The only way to excel at a role is to keep practicing it. The good thing is at least it sounds like you're decent at the other roles that is pretty necessary in solo queue unless you have a 5 man team and can always get the role that you want. Sure, it can be boring to play one role but hey, it depends on how much dedication you want to put into it.

garath

What about Rengar? Is Rengar cool?

Since his nerfs he's been a little tougher to play but Rengar was one of my go to junglers. His clear is a little slower than some others until his W gets levelled sufficiently but his ganks are great. He has a stealth, a slow and some great damage output.

You can build him assassin and go for the carry every teamfight or build him tanky and try to be the focus. His heal nerf makes the latter a little tougher but he's still around.

Plus they're tweaking him soon.

Intense game on right now. Azubu teams playing each other in a bo5. Currently game 4. Going to game 5!

http://www.twitch.tv/ongamenet

I can't believe this series is still going.

Guess not for much longer.. Madlife OP

You know what I just learned is OP as fuck on Twisted Treeline last night?

AP Soraka with Torch. Jesus.

Built Kages + pot, boots, rushed torch, then rylais, cap, glacial shroud, negatron, finish frozen heart, finish abyssal.

Two turrets down by 10 mins, huge farm and level advantage. She can even wipe out jungle camps fast.

Even my teammates that kept suiciding into Zyra ults couldn't throw the game hard enough.

The thing that makes her ridiculous is the mana regen on the map plus the lack of healing nerf like in Dominion. AOE % of health shred with torch is dildos.

Finally got to play Thresh. I kinda enjoy him. His Q is absolutely nothing like Blitz. I went RWEQ. His passive feels kinda significant. Still don't know the internal cooldown for his Q passive.

scy

Truth is: yes, it's hard, but not impossible, and just because I show up in your lane doesn't mean we need to get a kill.... we can damage the enemy forcing them to burn a flash or even recall, I can zone the enemy out for a bit for free farm or lane push.

While a successful gank can just be damaging the laner, forcing a Flash, etc. etc., it's still hard for a Warwick to actually do any of that pre-6 against an aware opponent. At best, you'll force some breathing room due to presence. That CAN be enough for a lane but if they were behind already, this may just end up getting them out of a safe zone near turret. Sometimes, leaving a lane pushed to turret is the best call.

...well, assuming they know how to farm under turret, anyway. Or the laner can't just dive them anyway.

Jungle is not all about ganks, it's about providing another solo lane, creating a fear of the unknown, and capitalizing on the enemies mistakes, sometimes coming down and standing in the enemies warded bush can be enough to get into their head.

The first half of this is very true. You're about giving another solo lane and being an unknown entity across the map. Which is why the latter part of that doesn't quite ring true. That's looking at it too much from that lane's perspective only. Showing up in top lane somewhere means that my jungler can counter jungle or counter gank my lane or gank elsewhere on the map. Is your location (and time) really worth a lane getting reset to neutral position? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Then again, you did say sometimes yourself so, hey... :x

At least that's what I think... being lvl 20 and all.

Yeah, if I come across harsh on this it's not really my intent. Just that there's a point where "showing up" ends up being too costly. If you appear top lane and they back off for it, the other two lanes can potentially react similarly. I'll keep a jungler top as long as I reasonably can if it means everyone else can do something with that.

Now, if most of your lanes are winning, showing yourself somewhere doesn't really matter too much. Like, a mid lane that's already being pushed back and forced into passivity won't really be able to take advantage of the enemy jungler appearing elsewhere. Or if you've already counter jungled their jungler and put them behind so that they can't actually help the lanes when they show up. Situations like these you can just "ohai, here I am" to free up a lane and to otherwise just be imposing.

But I need it now! "Need a gank" should be about situations as a whole (e.g., getting shoved to turret and can't farm under it, no ward in river, etc.) and not about urgency (e.g., I'm at half life and they're diving me ohgoditburnswhydidjunglerfail).

Like, if I'm asking for a gank, it tends to be when my lane is just starting to get pushed back, not when I've been sitting under it for awhile. Jungler needs time to actually get there so they should be made aware of gank opportunities as they develop, not when they're already developed.

It's kinda weird for me. It's like I was too ashamed to post here because I know I can do better lol.

I only recognize people by their elo. And their shame.

mercviper

Holy shit that's brutal. Q's apparently nerfed a bit too.
The E nerf is the brutal one. :<

The gank will fail if it's warded though. What do you propose they do?

Buy a pink/oracle and kill it while you're nearby farming. Go back to the jungle and gank after 30 seconds, or immediately gank even if they know you're there. Some people stay and let you move up further when you kill their wards, likely because they thought it died naturally and/or didn't see you.

While true, if bot lane has every approach warded then they're spending a huge portion of their resources to maintain that coverage early on. And even then if you coordinate with bot lane you can have them begin an engage and come in while they're pre-occupied, either from behind or in lane.

Yeah, unless the enemy is super low on hp, just tell them to go back and heal and be ready to gank when they get back. Also, don't wait for requests. Assess the lanes, and choose the best one to gank if possible. In general, if they're pushed up to the enemy turret, they don't need your help anyway for a gank. If they're closer to your team's half of the map or even, that's a possible gank opportunity where a successful gank will push the lane into your favor.

Are we still spreading this nonsense? If you skip wraiths with a blue start and go straight to red, you'll have near enough 100% HP left with a pot or two and be ready for a gank and you'll hit level 3 fast enough that the solo lanes should still be level 1 when you get to them.

Yeah, if I come across harsh on this it's not really my intent. Just that there's a point where "showing up" ends up being too costly. If you appear top lane and they back off for it, the other two lanes can potentially react similarly. I'll keep a jungler top as long as I reasonably can if it means everyone else can do something with that.
Yeah, this is one thing with junglers. They're threatening because they can pop out at any moment. If you know the enemy jungler is very far away, you can play a lot more aggressively in your lane. People ask or mention the last sighting of the enemy jungler so they can gauge for how long they can play more aggressive.

scy

The E nerf is the brutal one. :<

Yeah, that'll hurt her burst a lot for kills. The ult change is negligible from a gank perspective and just forces her ult to be used on initiate late game. Honestly, it's not AS big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

I mean, even at half health, Eve can REQQQQQQ a kill pretty easily. It's not like halving her ult damage there means you'll survive her jumping on you. I mean, you were half dead anyway.

Buy a pink/oracle and kill it while you're nearby farming. Go back to the jungle and gank after 30 seconds, or immediately gank even if they know you're there. Some people stay and let you move up further when you kill their wards, likely because they thought it died naturally and/or didn't see you.

"Where did our river ward go?"

Every.

Time.

Yeah, this is one thing with junglers. They're threatening because they can pop out at any moment. If you know the enemy jungler is very far away, you can play a lot more aggressively in your lane. People ask or mention the last sighting of the enemy jungler so they can gauge for how long they can play more aggressive.

Then again, I've definitely had those occasions where I see the jungler come top and just assume he left and then I die to the gank.

Because who the fuck camps that bush for two minutes.

Blizzard

Banned
Are we still spreading this nonsense? If you skip wraiths with a blue start and go straight to red, you'll have near enough 100% HP left with a pot or two and be ready for a gank and you'll hit level 3 fast enough that the solo lanes should still be level 1 when you get to them.
Are you talking about Shyvana? I think some champions still get low on red. Thanks for the tip about skipping wraiths though. That sounds helpful if a team helps kill wolves and blue.

Regarding spotting where the jungler is, that's the same sort of thing why an enemy (even mid-lane) Eve can be annoying. I know I have the bot lane warded, but of course that doesn't help against Eve, so if Eve isn't on the map then I need to be cautious or I might suddenly be ganked from behind or something.

Regarding camping a bush for 2 minutes, I have had that done to me as well, probably also in top lane, and I respect that. It takes true dedication and trollishness to hang out in a top bush that long just to screw over an enemy top laner. Sure it reduces XP, but if the allied top laner does not rage about it, killing the enemy top laner might result in top tower being taken or something, so I think it could be a good move in some situations.

scy

A truly dedicated camper.

Place Ward in river. 20 seconds later, see enemy Jungler enter bush. Alright, I'll be passive a bit and let the lane come up. Never see jungler leave the bush so just assumed they backed in it. Ward has ~20s left on timer, might as well do something while I still know I'm s--whatthefuckwhyareyoustillhereohgodstophittingme.

Sitting in a bush for the entire ward duration :(

mercviper

Are you talking about Shyvana? I think some champions still get low on red. Thanks for the tip about skipping wraiths though. That sounds helpful if a team helps kill wolves and blue.

I'm talking about all junglers with a machete/5 pot blue start. I usually run this especially if I get a smiteless pull because of how quick it is.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm talking about all junglers with a machete/5 pot blue start. I usually run this especially if I get a smiteless pull because of how quick it is.
Do you use attack speed or lifesteal runes when jungling, or do you do enough damage to stay alive? One of my biggest problems while jungling is, if I recall correctly, I might use nearly all my pots making it through wraiths or golems, unless my team provides a lot of help on wolves and blue.

Do you use attack speed or lifesteal runes when jungling, or do you do enough damage to stay alive? One of my biggest problems while jungling is, if I recall correctly, I might use nearly all my pots making it through wraiths or golems, unless my team provides a lot of help on wolves and blue.
Really champ dependent. I'd rather use armor quints than either ASPD or lifesteal quints if champ is squishy.

scy

She doesn't suck, she can actually counter a lot of tough guys top, it's just that her kit is weird as hell.

She scales hard, which is one of her strengths. And one of the few people to really utilize AP/ASPD stuff.

What did they do to her E?

+20 Damage per Rank, down from +25 Damage per Rank (e.g., 35/55/75/95/115 instead of 35/60/85/110/135).

Edit: Just to clarify, that's per-hit. So +40 Total Damage per Rank instead of +50.

mercviper

In general, attack speed reds, armor yellows, mr/lvl blues and MS quints. Some other champions get different runes, but that's what I use normally. If you get ZERO help on blue then yes, likely you will have to use all your pots before red, especially if you go the long way with Wo->B->Wr->Go->R. You should still be healthy if you instead run a path like Wo->B->R though, but w/o help on blue you'll likely end around 80% hp with zero pots.

+20 Damage per Rank, down from +25 Damage per Rank (e.g., 35/55/75/95/115 instead of 35/60/85/110/135).

Edit: Just to clarify, that's per-hit. So +40 Total Damage per Rank instead of +50.

To clarify further, the nerf means her max rank E was reduced by 40 damage.

scy

If you get ZERO help on blue then yes, likely you will have to use all your pots before red, especially if you go the long way with Wo->B->Wr->Go->R. You should still be healthy if you instead run a path like Wo->B->R though, but w/o help on blue you'll likely end around 80% hp with zero pots.

We need to stop spoiling our junglers and let you solo blue instead of staying until ~500 HP. Man up yo.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
How to play 3DS for first 20 minute of the game:

1. Put down all 3 wards in river/tribush/lane bush
2. Randomly throw out 2 grabs
3. OOM - time to waifu emblem.
4. Continue to throw out grabs during enemy turns as you regen mana, make sure it never hit.

I am ready!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Fuck yall, Sleeping Dogs is where it's at. I'm breaking everyone's records!

(I should really finish Dark Souls, but fuck tomb of the giants and that jackal asshole. I killed that punk and then plummeted to my death.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom