• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

But you don't have to carry your games to get higher elo, you just have to be good enough to make a slight difference that will average out when you play a lot of games. The other team have to deal with the same shit and if you're really at a skill above 1500 elo and you've played 50+ games since getting there, you wouldn't be there anymore. Stop deluding yourself. You are a 1500 elo player. And the reason you are stuck there is because you're not improving because you pay more attention to your teammates mistakes than your own. Sorry, but somebody had to tell you at some point.

I make huge differences as a jungler, but the burden of carrying always falls upon my team mates. I can serve them kills on a platter, but if they don't itemize correctly or play well, we're going to lose. How in any way can I influence them to play better? It's up to them to play well, because I know I can play well 75% of the time. That's why League is a team game, and that's why solo queue is hell sometimes, because you do everything you can to try to make your team win, but they refuse to, whether it be because of skill level or stupid shit like disconnects, troll picks and terrible map awareness.

I'll even do quick summaries of the games I lost recently in ranked:

Maokai (Jungler) - Malphite tried counter jungling me, top and mid rotated and Pantheon, our mid, got first blood. He proceeded to get out cs'd and somehow gives up 2 kills solo to the Elise mid. Our bottom (Kogmaw) gets raped by the opposing Leona (because it's Kogmaw). We made one bad play by diving bot and killing Sivir, but besides that, I don't know how both Pantheon and Kogmaw played so terribly. Pantheon pushed his lane so much that I could only gank top and bot, killed top once, and managed to kill bot once before Elise snowballed all over us. (Merc was in this game with me)

Cho'gath (Jungler) - Zed disconnected 1 minute into the game, proceeded to disconnect every other minute, he is level 2, Rumble is level 7. Game is lost from there, basically I either sit top and prevent Rumble from pushing, or I watch all the other lanes lose because it's 3v4 without me helping. (Merc was also in this game)

Cho'gath (Jungler) - Our support (Taric) insisted on leading into team fights and getting picked off constantly, instead of peeling for our AD. We won early game, but once team fight started, he constantly did this, and we basically lost the game.

Basically, in each of my losses, all it takes for one or two bad players to drag down everyone else on their team to prevent you from winning.

Ferga

Cannot patch the game. Oh well, see you guys in S3.

Or if the Thresh patch magically works then.

It was a kayle patch for new login. Thresh will probably be tomorrow or day after.

And Neki is 100% right. And being there for your team isn't enough to raise your Elo. You have to make plays. You can farm up to 400cs in 30minutes and have a full build but if your team has nothing then the enemy will just focus you first. No matter how fed you are, you can't 1v5

And I'm not saying that you should fight them 1v5 but they will focus you first.

Ken

Whatever patch it is, my update always stops at 99% and gives me some unhelpful message that points me nowhere.

Snowman

It was a kayle patch for new login. Thresh will probably be tomorrow or day after.

And Neki is 100% right. And being there for your team isn't enough to raise your Elo. You have to make plays. You can farm up to 400cs in 30minutes and have a full build but if your team has nothing then the enemy will just focus you first. No matter how fed you are, you can't 1v5

And I'm not saying that you should fight them 1v5 but they will focus you first.

The other team(on average) will be just as bad as yours though?

Ferga

The other team(on average) will be just as bad as yours though?

I feel like we play a different game.

The team who groups up first will win. You have no control over when people will group because people don't like taking instructions.

It's a game of chance when it comes to solo queue.

Snowman

I feel like we play a different game.

The team who groups up first will win. You have no control over when people will group because people don't like taking instructions.

It's a game of chance when it comes to solo queue.

The other team will on average have to put up as just as much shit as you even if you don't see it because of your bias. I agree, individual games are pretty dependent on chance but over a lot of games it'll average out. If you are even slightly better, when it all averages out you should come out ahead, and your elo will increase. I don't see how this is hard to understand.

Ferga

The other team will on average have to put up as just as much shit as you even if you don't see it because of your bias. I agree, individual games are pretty dependent on chance but over a lot of games it'll average out. If you are even slightly better, when it all averages out you should come out ahead, and your elo will increase. I don't see how this is hard to understand.

No. Teams are never even. There will never be a game where everyone has equal kills/cs or gold and there is always simply being outmatched and out picked.

And read neki's post and my post from before. These games are not winnable because certain players simply give up when they don't do well in lane and want to throw for a faster loss. And some people are just clueless out of laning. And if you think these people don't exist then you haven't played much of solo queue

You only have 50% to win or lose.
You can win-lose-win-lose etc.
you will stay at a point unless you are able to make good calls and iniations. It is up to your team to listen and follow up. The game isn't just about playing, it's about improving your mechanics and then playing them out.
You can practice all you want but unless people help you to win and perform adequately, you are going to lose.

It's like saying that a student can simply attend class and do nothing outside of it and expect to improve their grades.
No
They need to do something. Players need to do something in solo queue to stand out and help their team. You can't expect to stand around farming and hope to win.

You see 2 people at bot? Pink ward baron and take that shit.

See jungler ganking your top lane? Pink ward dragon and do that shit

See people out of position taking buffs? Group up and push the tower.

You can't expect to win by not making plays.

Boken

Banned
Is there any way to like, download a standalone patch or something and update from that.
Did reinstalling work?
What's this camera snap you can disable? I've never seem to have noticed it.
It's when you die then respawn, camera auto moves to base.
IEM stream laggy !! It sometimes stops for a second or two. :(
It's good now though!

And wow, AZB's jungle control at the start was incredible.

scy

While I agree with the point you're trying to make here (the idea of "elo hell" is bullshit), it's worth noting that solo queue eventually comes down to one thing: Who makes a mistake first. If you're really fed and trying to make the plays but someone on your team does something dumb, it's hard to still pull out a win.

It's really hard to not be irritated when what should be a sure win becomes a loss because of your teammates doing something dumb. However, it's quite arrogant to ignore the fact that the enemy team just as likely had someone doing something dumb. Which is why it's probably more accurate to say: Solo queue comes down to who capitalizes on a mistake first. There's always mistakes on both sides so it comes down to who gets more off using those mistakes.

So, basically, solo queue complaining about the other team using your team's mistakes.

EXGN

M5 picks the Curse of the Sad Bullet Time combo, Genja doesn't get Black Cleaver.

At any rate, the Korean teams have been playing against this comp from months now and they know how to beat it: Either split push with a Nidalee/Shen/etc., or pick comps that can live through the initial burst. AZB is using the latter strat, with Mundo (mass HP regen), Olaf (break CC), Lulu (huge HP burst), KhaZix (OP LAWL) and Caitlyn (can fight from far back enough she won't get hit by the CC/damage).

Looks like M5 was one step behind for once in their career.

Edit: Whoops.

Feature

Banned
Khazix is fucking OP. The damage he outputs is stupid combined with his easy escape. Also kayle was on the M5 team , not azb ^^. They had khazix.

scy

M5 picks the Curse of the Sad Bullet Time combo, Genja doesn't get Black Cleaver.

Is it really Curse of the Sad Bullet Time if you don't get the BT/BC combo?

Khazix is fucking OP. The damage he outputs is stupid combined with his easy escape. Also kayle was on the M5 team , not azb ^^. They had khazix.

Soon they'll nerf his E reset (along with his W damage) and then I'll be sad. My poor Mecha Gundam Scyther.

Honestly, though, his damage output is only great against single-targets that are isolated. His kit just takes advantage of nearly every situation. His W gives him something to do while waiting for a target to be isolated; beyond that, it's a great source of AoE damage that forces teams to either just deal with the damage or to split up ... which leads right into an isolation scenario. His ult is almost perfectly timed to allow for his AA+Q cooldown (+ reapplying passive) so he's basically never actually in danger when up close and never has to facetank while waiting for his burst to happen.

If anything happens to him, it'll probably be along the lines of higher mana costs and higher W cooldown along with some numbers tweaks. Most likely would be -W Damage, +W Cooldown, and +E mana cost. Kha'zix is rather mana starved since his full all-in combo can take 300+ Mana so kind of forcing the Sheen (or Manamune) route for Kha'zix would probably be the best way to deal with him balance wise. Force him to spend more time poking and restrict him by Mana even more.

Or nothing happens and I can be happy with Mecha Gundam Scyther leaping around some more.

Edit: On that note, I should really take advantage of the "OP" champions I know how to play before they get nerfed.

garath

Is it really Curse of the Sad Bullet Time if you don't get the BT/BC combo?

Soon they'll nerf his E reset (along with his W damage) and then I'll be sad. My poor Mecha Gundam Scyther.

Honestly, though, his damage output is only great against single-targets that are isolated. His kit just takes advantage of nearly every situation. His W gives him something to do while waiting for a target to be isolated; beyond that, it's a great source of AoE damage that forces teams to either just deal with the damage or to split up ... which leads right into an isolation scenario. His ult is almost perfectly timed to allow for his AA+Q cooldown (+ reapplying passive) so he's basically never actually in danger when up close and never has to facetank while waiting for his burst to happen.

If anything happens to him, it'll probably be along the lines of higher mana costs and higher W cooldown along with some numbers tweaks. Most likely would be -W Damage, +W Cooldown, and +E mana cost. Kha'zix is rather mana starved since his full all-in combo can take 300+ Mana so kind of forcing the Sheen (or Manamune) route for Kha'zix would probably be the best way to deal with him balance wise. Force him to spend more time poking and restrict him by Mana even more.

Or nothing happens and I can be happy with Mecha Gundam Scyther leaping around some more.

Edit: On that note, I should really take advantage of the "OP" champions I know how to play before they get nerfed.

The new nerfs should help a little. His W's slow was definitely OP. They've toned that down a little bit. And they toned down some of his burst damage.

I don't think they'll ever do away with the reset and his W is already really mana hungry. They'll probably just keep lowering damage :(

Macattk15

Bring a vision of utopia to Runeterra with legendary Aether Wing Kayle, now available in the store for 1820 RP.

I bought it and used her in 2 games.

I think the skin could be better, particularly the legs. The particle effects and the recall animation are ace however. Wings are also cool.

erragal

In all the Khaz talk lets not forget the just as OP Olaf. It's even scarier when they're on the same team because they synergize so well together. Scary times...that's why I ban them both in solo queue right now.

scy

We need to discuss the actual biggest nerf in the patch: You can't Flask when on the platform anymore. why riot why

The new nerfs should help a little. His W's slow was definitely OP. They've toned that down a little bit. And they toned down some of his burst damage.

Honestly? A 10% slow is all that matters. Any kind of speed disadvantage puts things in your favor for a pursuit. Quite frankly, the only the time the slow is relevant is when chasing someone who Flashed and I'm waiting on my E cooldown. In every single other possible situation, all that really matters is "make me a little faster than them" so I can auto, run ahead, auto, run ahead, etc. without losing a step. It's why I run 21 Utility on him.
Also because 10-21 Offense is lackluster

I don't think they'll ever do away with the reset and his W is already really mana hungry. They'll probably just keep lowering damage :(

If anything, it'll be changed to half cooldown reduction on Assist, full reduction on Kill. But then "gg ez ks me no reset" so ... eh.

And, yeah, his W is fairly Mana intensive. To the point that it's actually pretty hard to W poke and keep 200 Mana for his all-in (2Qs, E, R; 300+ Mana if you want to point-blank W in there too). Especially since his base Mana is so bad (300 at Level 1, +40/Level). Lowering his Q damage puts more emphasis on poking so we'll see what that really means.

Honestly, Flask giving more Mana now may just equalize things here.

In all the Khaz talk lets not forget the just as OP Olaf. It's even scarier when they're on the same team because they synergize so well together. Scary times...that's why I ban them both in solo queue right now.

Any hard diver works really well with every Assassin, really; Singed, Olaf, Elise, etc. all do that really well, though Olaf gets the added bonus of "lolCC?" with him. The point of the diver is to split the team and splitting the team gives the assassin the safe opening they need. Kha'zix just gets even more out of it than normal :x

garath

Ditto. I ban Kha'zix unless I'm first pick (and then usually the other team does it)

We need to discuss the actual biggest nerf in the patch: You can't Flask when on the platform anymore. why riot why

Honestly? A 10% slow is all that matters. Any kind of speed disadvantage puts things in your favor for a pursuit. Quite frankly, the only the time the slow is relevant is when chasing someone who Flashed and I'm waiting on my E cooldown. In every single other possible situation, all that really matters is "make me a little faster than them" so I can auto, run ahead, auto, run ahead, etc. without losing a step. It's why I run 21 Utility on him.
Also because 10-21 Offense is lackluster

If anything, it'll be changed to half cooldown reduction on Assist, full reduction on Kill. But then "gg ez ks me no reset" so ... eh.

And, yeah, his W is fairly Mana intensive. To the point that it's actually pretty hard to W poke and keep 200 Mana for his all-in (2Qs, E, R; 300+ Mana if you want to point-blank W in there too). Especially since his base Mana is so bad (300 at Level 1, +40/Level).

I've enjoyed starting tear just for the extra mana unless I'm mid and am going to get blue buffs frequently.

The slow is huge for teamfights too. Evolved W can hit almost the whole team and they're really easy to engage on. I wouldn't be surprised if they reduced the duration of the slow too. It's so strong.

edit: Wow. 4 minute tower for MYM. Curse off to a rocky start.

http://www.twitch.tv/esltv_lol/new

edit2: 2 towers at 8 min. Jungle Kayle is destroying CRS.

scy

I've enjoyed starting tear just for the extra mana unless I'm mid and am going to get blue buffs frequently.

Purple side Kha'zix is my favorite top lane Kha'zix. Steal blue buffs all day.

The slow is huge for teamfights too. Evolved W can hit almost the whole team and they're really easy to engage on. I wouldn't be surprised if they reduced the duration of the slow too. It's so strong.

True. I was thinking more in lane for the slow or for when picking people off. As a sieging tool, the slow really helps set up team fights. His W is just really good in every situation.

Sunfire on Kat

??????????????????????????????

Health + Armor is justified against MYM's comp, but the combine cost could've went to Sorc Shoes.

scy

Well, Sunfire Cape is 160 Damage per Sinister Steel cooldown (@0% CDR) which is ~640 AP worth of scaling. Alternatively, it's almost one extra Sinister Steel worth of damage (Rank 5 is 180 Damage) per cooldown. It's not the most absurd item to build on Kat. Especially if it's a top lane one or vs AD Mid.

It also gives her the health to just chase for more Ws and increases the time she's around for more resets which is where her damage actually comes from.

MYM's comp is just so strong. Zyra, MF, Wukong, Kayle just have so much synergy

Wukong top, Kayle mid, Amumu jungle, Zyra/MF bot. ohgodtheaoes

Is it the Korean-style AP/ASPD Kayle? Nashor's + Liandry's?

IsayFever

Because Veigar.

I'd imagine the change is because Rhux has good laning (that is, 1v1) mechanics but just lacks the experience. They're hoping for that to pay off in the long-term.

Maybe.

He got stomped by Wukong. Then again he did pick Ziggs

garath

He got stomped by Wukong. Then again he did pick Ziggs

To be fair they all got stomped. Kayle was having a field day in saint's jungle, they lost bot tower in 4 min, top in 8 and mid shortly thereafter. They were rotating lanes constantly and roaming hard. It was just way too much for curse to keep up with.

Those Kayle ults also.

mercviper

Why is that? Never played SCII.

SC2 is just tense. Once you get higher it feels like you're on a clock constantly and missing a step anywhere along the way will lose you the game. And then your armies fight and you're suddenly micromanaging the army field on top of everything. :x

I make huge differences as a jungler, but the burden of carrying always falls upon my team mates. I can serve them kills on a platter, but if they don't itemize correctly or play well, we're going to lose. How in any way can I influence them to play better? It's up to them to play well, because I know I can play well 75% of the time. That's why League is a team game, and that's why solo queue is hell sometimes, because you do everything you can to try to make your team win, but they refuse to, whether it be because of skill level or stupid shit like disconnects, troll picks and terrible map awareness.

I'll even do quick summaries of the games I lost recently in ranked:

Maokai (Jungler) - Malphite tried counter jungling me, top and mid rotated and Pantheon, our mid, got first blood. He proceeded to get out cs'd and somehow gives up 2 kills solo to the Elise mid. Our bottom (Kogmaw) gets raped by the opposing Leona (because it's Kogmaw). We made one bad play by diving bot and killing Sivir, but besides that, I don't know how both Pantheon and Kogmaw played so terribly. Pantheon pushed his lane so much that I could only gank top and bot, killed top once, and managed to kill bot once before Elise snowballed all over us. (Merc was in this game with me)

Cho'gath (Jungler) - Zed disconnected 1 minute into the game, proceeded to disconnect every other minute, he is level 2, Rumble is level 7. Game is lost from there, basically I either sit top and prevent Rumble from pushing, or I watch all the other lanes lose because it's 3v4 without me helping. (Merc was also in this game)

Cho'gath (Jungler) - Our support (Taric) insisted on leading into team fights and getting picked off constantly, instead of peeling for our AD. We won early game, but once team fight started, he constantly did this, and we basically lost the game.

Basically, in each of my losses, all it takes for one or two bad players to drag down everyone else on their team to prevent you from winning.

I don't even want to think about that Zed game. Even if he was relevant to the game I'm pretty sure I lost it for us with how poorly I played in that one.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
SC2 is just tense. Once you get higher it feels like you're on a clock constantly and missing a step anywhere along the way will lose you the game. And then your armies fight and you're suddenly micromanaging the army field on top of everything. :x

I don't even want to think about that Zed game. Even if he was relevant to the game I'm pretty sure I lost it for us with how poorly I played in that one.

It wouldn't be the first time those kinds of situations happen. It happens to everyone merc. It's all good!

Eh I don't think so. My normal draft Elo was 1850 last June when lolmatches was still up and running. My wins over losses has increased by 150 since then. People who spectate my games will understand the shit I go through in ranked. People suiciding, refusing to group up and tower diving at unnecessary times when people are pinging to b.

So yeah. I win my bot lane more than 90% of the time. You can ask 1/4 of GAF and they will tell you it's true. But the adc position cannot single handedly carry a game in season 3 with the itemisation nerfs and the rise of assassins. In season 2, I went from 1200 to 1600elo in 2 days with nothing but adc and I could have probably kept going but solo queue was boring at the time because I rather play with my friends and GAF.

Getting one shot by a under farmed assassin is not fun right now. I've started to play panth and zed recently and I am now winning most of my games. It's not because I'm a bad player; it's because the game is just stupidly ridiculous and easy when you play an assassin. Therefore it is fucking impossible to win a game without a team to peel and fight FOR you and not for their own k/d stats when you're adc

And I also rarely focus on a win. I always improve my csing every game and improve on my poking.

In the end, this is my goal as well. I want to improve upon myself as a player and not make dumb mistakes. As long as I am learning and improving, then I can handle losing elo. Of course, winning is always nice. I would rather play ranked because the games are "serious" as opposed to normals. That isn't always the case though haha.

erragal

This team lineup. Olaf, Wukong, MF, luLu, Zed. What a team for GBG(M5). I can't see how they can possibly lose this game. Maybe if Ryze gets snowbally and becomes a huge midgame force, but that seems SOOO unlikely.

IsayFever

Lesson I've learnt in 1500: supports carry games harder than adcs.

I Janna, I playmaker huehuehue. Seriously though, I carry from bot lane while Rex carries from top lane. The days of our dynamic adc/support combo are over sadly. ADC is just too bad these days.

bjaelke

This team lineup. Olaf, Wukong, MF, luLu, Zed. What a team for GBG(M5). I can't see how they can possibly lose this game. Maybe if Ryze gets snowbally and becomes a huge midgame force, but that seems SOOO unlikely.

So very unlikely. The Russians know what they're doing.

scy

I Janna, I playmaker huehuehue. Seriously though, I carry from bot lane while Rex carries from top lane. The days of our dynamic adc/support combo are over sadly. ADC is just too bad these days.

In all honesty, top/mid is the best way to duo carry a game at low-to-mid elo ranges. They hit their stride earlier and exploit mistakes better at these stages of the game.

The chances of duoing and getting both are pretty much huehuehuehuehue.

"ADC too bad"

Say that to chaox hitting rank 1 and 2

Merc is pretty good at leona tho

Personally speaking, there comes a point where ADC (and, likewise, support) take off for their ability to carry a game. It's just at low elo free-for-all playstyles that make it harder to be an ADC.

Boken

Banned
I like to tell myself that GBG is merely copying MYM's strat. They're not here to win, theyre here to steal/learn/practice and that the real M5 is waiting for the real s3

edit: tho i dunno why they hate black cleaver so much

erragal

That team fight was really fun. Almost turned around on MF ult/olaf damage but Ryze is being a midgame force and not being focused down properly by M5. Not to mention great Caitlyn positioning. What a bad throw by GBG.

garath

Didn't they rename the team because M5's owner got arrested or something? Same team otherwise?

M5 ran out of money basically. The team stayed the same (except the support guy? or did he just change his name?) but got picked up by a new organization - Gambit Gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom