• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.
From 1550 to 1375!

Doing my best to escape potato elo.

Currently at 1440.

I just want to get back to 1550 before the official start of S3.

Support only! Hard but fun!

Blizzard

Banned
I am currently experimenting with Rumble since buying him recently.

I often have terrible ults and make mistakes, and I lost the most recent game where I did this, but it is SUPER satisfying to be merrily laning against your opponent, maybe you both have about the same HP, and then the jungler comes in, and then you drop your ult, and you end up getting a double kill and not dying. WHAT IS GANK

Macattk15

I just hate the ELO I'm at right now.

I pick Brand mid.

"BRAND SUCKS OMG."

Proceed to go 17-5 and carry the game with him. Our Sivir sucked.

I pick Ziggs mid the game previous.

"OMG ZIGGS IS SO WORTHLESS AS A CHAMP, GONNA GET BEAT BY KAT SO HARD"

Proceed to go 12-2 and assist in carrying the game with our ADC.

That is currently my last 2 played games.

garath

I pick Brand mid.

"BRAND SUCKS OMG."

It happens. There's a bunch of pros in the mid elo range that know all the champs and matchups so well they'll know how the game ends even before it starts.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
From 1550 to 1375!

Doing my best to escape potato elo.

Currently at 1440.

I just want to get back to 1550 before the official start of S3.

Support only! Hard but fun!

You're insane.

I pick Brand mid.

"BRAND SUCKS OMG."

I can't remember the last time I saw an Ashe or Sivir actually do well.

Macattk15

You're insane.

I can't remember the last time I saw an Ashe or Sivir actually do well.

Neither of them are bad champs. They just shine in certain compositions more than others. I played Ashe the other day when no one had any massive gap closing abilities and I just kited all day when people walked towards me .... think I ended up being 7-0.

zkylon

zkylewd
Fiora
Katarina
Miss Fortune
Leona
Ashe
Ahri
Janna
Zyra
Lux
Orianna
Evelynn

Come on, guys, it wasn't that hard.
Ah, Leona, don't know why I didn't think of her.

Still, that MF's a stretch. Like for reals, pink hair, medium sized breasts, the lack of I'M GONNA FUCK YOU DEAD expression, the guy had it all wrong.

antitrop

So I played Diana mid again last night post-patch.

It went... very well. Very, very, very well. I didn't build a Nashor's Tooth on her (just straight up AP, was like close to 600 at Lvl 18), but I'm going to try that next time. I have a good feeling.

Ferrio

Banned

Still, that MF's a stretch. Like for reals, pink hair, medium sized breasts, the lack of I'M GONNA FUCK YOU DEAD expression, the guy had it all wrong.

That's not pink.. it's red... light red but not pink!. You people are blind!

It went... very well. Very, very, very well. I didn't build a Nashor's Tooth on her (just straight up AP, was like close to 600 at Lvl 18), but I'm going to try that next time. I have a good feeling.

Nashors isn't that great on her. Straight up AP is the way to go.

Ferga

Alright bot lane in 1400elo. Winning by 60farm at 20minutes.

get 5 man ganked 4 times in a row from our jungle. No help from mid or jungle because they were premade. End up 0/4 outside of laning with 30cs ahead but still blamed for losing.

yup not playing adc again.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Alright bot lane in 1400elo. Winning by 60farm at 20minutes.

get 5 man ganked 4 times in a row from our jungle. No help from mid or jungle because they were premade. End up 0/4 outside of laning with 30cs ahead but still blamed for losing.

yup not playing adc again.

I find that it's hard to carry in solo/duo queues as ADC because of the heavy emphasis on midgame wins in most games. It's pretty disappointing because ADC rarely has presence in midgame unless he's fed. I just gave up playing ADC in ranked/soloqueue as a result. I just play mid or top now because of it.

antitrop

Also, I need Thresh now. That motherfucker is going to get banned like Blitzcrank every single game.

I do pretty much nothing but Bot in SoloQueue ranked games:
amsMz.jpg

so something crazy happened today.

I went into a ranked game lobby. Everyone picked their roles with no bickering, and I got play jungle Amumu.

We get into the game and everyone exchanges pleasantries. Our AD is having really bad net problems, but we all say it's OK and Janna does her best at soloing. I gank top and get first blood with Singed, we all congratulate each other.

Janna solos fine against an Ashe and Vayne, I gank a few times and get fed. We're all having fun, complimenting each other. The other team meanwhile is raging hard, telling us all to report their team mates.

Myself, Singed and our Kennen got super fed, our Janna was awesome with her Q, we won.

I'm still not quite sure if I was actually playing League of Legends at all. We all even friended each other after. So surreal.

zkylon

zkylewd
So I played Diana mid again last night post-patch.

Why would you buy Nashor's on her? Iceborn Gauntlet gives you all you want on Diana (well a bit more mana than you might want) and it still synergizes pretty well with her passive.

Or just build full AP like I do: sorc's (merc's if you feel weak), rabs if you're winning, zhonya's/abyss if you're not, GA, GG

But it's good to know the de-nerf worked. I really wanted to play her again without getting griefed on champ select.

That's not pink.. it's red... light red but not pink!. You people are blind!
The guy that drew this is half-blind, that's for sure...

And seriously where's Sona...

antitrop

At the very least Thresh will be a better support release than fucking Nami...

Though I heard she's very good after this patch, I'll have to give her another shot.

antitrop

She needs to be. Biggest wet fish of a champion release since Syndra.

(sorry)
Syndra got a buff this patch, too.

Syndra
Transcendent
Now increases range on Unleashed Power by 75 at max rank
Scatter the Weak
Cooldown reduced at later ranks to 18/16.5/15/13.5/12 seconds from 18/17/16/15/14

Nami
Base movement speed increased to 335 from 330
Aqua Prison
Cooldown reduced to 14/13/12/11/10 seconds from 16/14.5/13/11.5/10
Tidal Wave
Missile speed increased to 850 from 750

And those seem like pretty solid buffs to Nami.

Syndra got a buff this patch, too.

Syndra
Transcendent
Now increases range on Unleashed Power by 75 at max rank
Scatter the Weak
Cooldown reduced at later ranks to 18/16.5/15/13.5/12 seconds from 18/17/16/15/14

Nami
Base movement speed increased to 335 from 330
Aqua Prison
Cooldown reduced to 14/13/12/11/10 seconds from 16/14.5/13/11.5/10
Tidal Wave
Missile speed increased to 850 from 750

And those seem like pretty solid buffs to Nami.

I meant at launch. Syndra has probably the highest single target damage in the game right now (shhhhhh don't tell Riot).

zkylon

zkylewd
My problem with Nami's ult is exactly her ult speed so this might be the buff I needed.

But yeah I think I'd rather buy Lulu.

antitrop

My problem with Nami's ult is exactly her ult speed so this might be the buff I needed.

But yeah I think I'd rather buy Lulu.
Lulu/Ezreal might be my favorite bot combination in the game right now.

All dat poke. I don't own Lulu, but when someone else takes her as support it's always just disgusting for the other team.

mercviper

I thought the wavy hair was a dead giveaway for MF.

Couldn't decide if the bartender was caitlin or leona.

Ferrio

Banned
I meant at launch. Syndra has probably the highest single target damage in the game right now (shhhhhh don't tell Riot).

It rivals veigar for sure, get a muramana and you're pulling veigar ult damage on everyone.. even non-ap champs.

I like syndra a lot. She's like an improved Cass.

Macattk15

ANOTHER ranked game where I pick Ziggs and my team tells me he isn't viable.

Proceed to go 18-2-11.

Do people not smartcast and miss people with his Q a lot or something? He's a mid with massive aoe damage and a pretty good escape or channel interrupter. A slow which either damages and slows or alters the path of oncoming champs.

Why is he not viable in so many minds against other AP mids?

Snowman

People who think the worlds out to get them and that they only ever get the bad players on their team make me laugh, you and the other team are gonna be dealing with the same shit, you just don't realise it because when you go 7/0 you think you're just being a badass motherfucker owning shit up when in reality it's because their support didn't buy wards and their adc is playing ez for the first time because someone stole his mid pick.

Even if you get shit people on your team one game and they don't, next game they'll have the terrible ones, it all averages out. People who say it doesn't must think the universe is out to get them or that they are just incredibly unlucky or something equally stupid.

Sorry, just sick of people not taking responsibility for their elo, if you play enough games, you're probably about where you need to be. Everyone thinks they should be higher than they are and most of them are wrong, you can choose to think you're the exception if you want, but maybe you should just try focusing on actually improving at the game instead of moaning?

Rant over, I'm just tired of people making excuses, there's nothing wrong with having a low-ish elo as long as you're aiming to improve/still having fun competing at your level.

Neki

People who think the worlds out to get them and that they only ever get the bad players on their team make me laugh, you and the other team are gonna be dealing with the same shit, you just don't realise it because when you go 7/0 you think you're just being a badass motherfucker owning shit up when in reality it's because their support didn't buy wards and their adc is playing ez for the first time because someone stole his mid pick.

Even if you get shit people on your team one game and they don't, next game they'll have the terrible ones, it all averages out. People who say it doesn't must think the universe is out to get them or that they are just incredibly unlucky or something equally stupid.

Sorry, just sick of people not taking responsibility for their elo, if you play enough games, you're probably about where you need to be. Everyone thinks they should be higher than they are and most of them are wrong, you can choose to think you're the exception if you want, but maybe you should just try focusing on actually improving at the game instead of moaning?

Rant over, I'm just tired of people making excuses, there's nothing wrong with having a low-ish elo as long as you're aiming to improve/still having fun competing at your level.

Not excuses, I'm just a 1600 player stuck in the 1500's, np.

Blizzard

Banned

I agree with this, especially if people have played lots of games. On the downside, if you only have time to play say one game every day or two, I'd say that it's possible to be lucky or unlucky with say, a streak of 4v5 games, and end up in a bad spot for a while.

To answer the intial elo question, there are I think 10 placement matches. I believe 1200 is normal/average, and if you go 50/50 in your placement matches you might end up around there.

antitrop

I went 1-9 in my placements and ended up at around 800.
I've worked my way back up to 1200 over the last few weeks, though. My goal is 1600 (or whatever the hell the equivalent of that would be in Riot's new system) before HOTS comes out in March.

Pretty much mirrors my ranked game experience when StarCraft II came out, as well. I went 0-5 Bronze league in that and then made it up to high Diamond within a month, and Master league after that. It's just slower to gain ELO in LoL than it is ladder points in SC2.

Anyone who says ELO-hell does not exist is completely full of shit and there is nothing they can say to make me think any differently. Even just the difference between 800 and 1000 elo is night and day, as far as people actually giving enough of a shit to attempt to try. My first 20 games of low-ELO Ranked LoL were nothing but disconnects, permanent AFKs, and trolling after Champ Draft. Eventually I was able to pull my ELO slightly high enough to get matched with team mates that were at least as serious as I was about trying to win and things have been going much better ever since.

Snowman

I agree with the not playing much thing, but if you don't have time to play much you probably won't be playing that competitively and then maybe it's just a good idea to stay away from ranked?

Snowman

Anyone who says ELO-hell does not exist is completely full of shit and there is nothing they can say to make me think any differently. Even just the difference between 800 and 1000 elo is night and day, as far as people actually giving enough of a shit to attempt to try. My first 20 games of low-ELO Ranked LoL were nothing but disconnects, permanent AFKs, and trolling after Champ Draft.

It's the idea of being "stuck" in elo hell which I think is crap, and by the sounds of it your own experience backs that opinion up.

antitrop

It's the idea of being "stuck" in elo hell which I think is crap, and by the sounds of it your own experience backs that opinion up.

You have no idea how fucking hard I had to carry to get out of 800 ELO. It might as well have been easier to start a new account and level it up to 30 again.

At least now at 1200 elo I feel like I'm somewhere around the same level of skill as my teammates and opponents, but at 800 I felt like Adam Sandler in Billy Madison.

Snowman

You have no idea how fucking hard I had to carry to get out of 800 ELO. It might as well have been easier to start a new account and level it up to 30 again.

At least now at 1200 elo I feel like I'm somewhere around the same level of skill as my teammates and opponents, but at 800 I felt like Adam Sandler in Billy Madison.

But you did get out, and the fact that you were better than the other people at that elo made you carry your games until your elo was more accurate, that's how it should work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom