• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxSpirit

SC2 is just tense. Once you get higher it feels like you're on a clock constantly and missing a step anywhere along the way will lose you the game. And then your armies fight and you're suddenly micromanaging the army field on top of everything. :x
To be fair it's all about routine. Like right now, SC2 is a major stressor for me. Need to get into practice again before ladder.

My personal approach: Starcraft 2 is like music. No use trying to play a tune when you can barely handle the instrument. So I start by learning an all out macro style vs hard CPU (vhard constantly does hard 1 base timings which is just stupid) and try to expand and max army at the same time until it's a non issue. And as Zerg, Creep spread on top. Fun challenge, see how fast you have 3 full bases with 200/200 army. Never supply block, never float resources, find good curve for army vs expand.

You can of course jump straight into ladder and learn there but that's going into a boxing ring without sparring and practice: you really wanna do that?

mercviper

You can of course jump straight into ladder and learn there but that's going into a boxing ring without sparring and practice: you really wanna do that?

That's pretty much what I did jumping out of the campaign and straight into the fire. I haven't played since the first 4 months after release but I was bordering between plat/diamond when I did. I find repeatedly playing against the computer boring and it was hard to find an equal match amongst friends, so I went to the ladder for most of my games. The stress is there but I find it kinda fun. :x

Blizzard

Banned
Eh I don't think so. My normal draft Elo was 1850 last June when lolmatches was still up and running. My wins over losses has increased by 150 since then. People who spectate my games will understand the shit I go through in ranked. People suiciding, refusing to group up and tower diving at unnecessary times when people are pinging to b.
I'm not meaning to be a jerk, but the point about averages is correct, right? Unless you're one of the unluckiest people in LoL, some games will have people suiciding on the other team (feeding you), and some games will have YOUR teammates suiciding. Over the course of hundreds of games, it should average out. If you've played 200 ranked games and are still 1500-1600, that's very likely your current skill level in my opinion. Same with me and 1200. I'm not purely a victim of bad teammates, even when I'm not making mistakes myself. And there are things like the scoreboard I quoted, sometimes you win basically 4v5 (oddly enough because of an ADC and support combo in that case).

In season 2, I went from 1200 to 1600elo in 2 days with nothing but adc and I could have probably kept going but solo queue was boring at the time because I rather play with my friends and GAF.
How many ranked games had you played at the time? If you were 1200 elo, you were presumably out of placement. Even if you were still playing early enough to get +/- 18 elo per game, rising 400 elo would require 20-23 games if you won every single one of them. Did you play like 25-30 ranked games in two days? :O Crazy grind.

Waiting for the inevitable bruisers vs bruisers
I think it's almost here with the warmogs. I guess the question is whether warmogs can counter assassins. :p I feel like some people stack health or armor to counter assassins, and at least at my elo you can probably run into teams who will still destroy an assassin (whether with farmed carries or bruisers) if you jump in and you lack initiation other than yourself.

scy

Honestly, I found WC3/SC2 ladder grinding to be stressful due to my own problems. WC3, I kept remaking accounts due to wanting to see how far I could get before a single loss; SC2, I had nobody to practice with so it took awhile before I felt comfortable to go into ladder.

Somehow, these both come together to form my LoL ranked anxiety.

I'm not meaning to be a jerk, but the point about averages is correct, right? Unless you're one of the unluckiest people in LoL, some games will have people suiciding on the other team (feeding you), and some games will have YOUR teammates suiciding. Over the course of hundreds of games, it should average out. If you've played 200 ranked games and are still 1500-1600, that's very likely your current skill level in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm in agreement on this. Sometimes you get bad teammates, sometimes they get bad teammates. What does suck, though, is when you do extremely well in a game and have it lost by someone else. One can make the argument that you could do more to prevent that mistake from happening (and, really, you probably should be trying to somehow) but it's not always possible. Sometimes, your team just screws it up for you.

...this, however, isn't a solo queue thing. We have it in GAF premades too. We make a terrible baron call. Someone gets caught farming too far. We engage staggered. We don't peel for the ADC. Something happens that causes the game to be lost (or at least removing any advantage we had).

Rising in elo is about being consistently good from game to game. It sucks to look at it from the long-term perspective but that's kind of the way it is.

Now to be able to take my own advice

garath

Rushing Warmog's on Katarina? Que?

Voyboy has kind of made this popular. He likes playing tanky built assassins top like Katarina and Akali, rushing Warmogs, sunfire, etc.

Warmogs is pretty strong in general right now. It's a good defensive item for midgame.

edit: I'm enjoying the games at IEM but they have SO much downtime between matches. It's kind of maddening.

scy

Watching these games it's.. olaf olaf olaf... I'm surprised he's not been getting nerfs.

attachment.php

true damage bitches

Blizzard

Banned
Honestly, I found WC3/SC2 ladder grinding to be stressful due to my own problems. WC3, I kept remaking accounts due to wanting to see how far I could get before a single loss; SC2, I had nobody to practice with so it took awhile before I felt comfortable to go into ladder.

Somehow, these both come together to form my LoL ranked anxiety.

Yeah, I'm in agreement on this. Sometimes you get bad teammates, sometimes they get bad teammates. What does suck, though, is when you do extremely well in a game and have it lost by someone else. One can make the argument that you could do more to prevent that mistake from happening (and, really, you probably should be trying to somehow) but it's not always possible. Sometimes, your team just screws it up for you.

...this, however, isn't a solo queue thing. We have it in GAF premades too. We make a terrible baron call. Someone gets caught farming too far. We engage staggered. We don't peel for the ADC. Something happens that causes the game to be lost (or at least removing any advantage we had).

Rising in elo is about being consistently good from game to game. It sucks to look at it from the long-term perspective but that's kind of the way it is.

Now to be able to take my own advice
I know we never agree about anything but I agree about these points:

1. Even when I know I shouldn't stress so much about a game, it's so frustrating when you feel a game is an easy win, but other people throw the game by suiciding alone etc.

2. I agree that rising in elo is about being consistently good from game to game. That's what I generally try to aim for. Sometimes picking a metric can have side effects though. For a while I tried to improve my CS as mid lane (which is a good thing to do) but now I am programmed to farm any minions, jungle or otherwise, humanly possible. So sometimes I'm taking those away from teammates, and sometimes I'm farming when I should be dancing in lane before a teamfight.

EXGN

Really good play by M5. In the event of a three-way tie at 1-2, the team that wins the fastest wins the tie-breaker. They picked an early game comp and got the 25-minute win. I think MYM beat Curse really fast as well, so I'm not sure if that's quick enough.

I don't want to say lane Elise...but it's lane Elise.

It's the player, not the champ. Flame regularly plays top Elise as well and dominates (even beat an Olaf in the semifinals as Elise). Olaf got an early level 2 from his pushing, which enabled Blaze to win the 2v2 for first blood. Gave him the early advantage.

garath

So Curse out. 3 way tie between Gambit Gaming (ex-m5), MYM and Curse all at 1-2 in the group. Guess the IEM rules is whichever team won fastest wins the tiebreaker. I don't think I'm a fan of that rule but it is what it is.

Curse beat Gambit, MYM beat Curse, Gambit beat MYM. So funny.

Ferga

"ADC too bad"

Say that to chaox hitting rank 1 and 2

Merc is pretty good at leona tho

Well he never played in 1500s. And on his smurfs, he doesn't adc at all most of the time.

People don't know how to peel for adcs. Thy just let then die and blame them for the game now.

mercviper

Well he never played in 1500s. And on his smurfs, he doesn't adc at all most of the time.

People don't know how to peel for adcs. Thy just let then die and blame them for the game now.

Didn't he do that grind from 1-30 and then proceed to hit diamond with the account at the end of S2? I thought he adc'd most of that, but all I remember is Chaox saying, "Oh my gooooooooooooood" repeatedly.

scy

Didn't he do that grind from 1-30 and then proceed to hit diamond with the account at the end of S2? I thought he adc'd most of that, but all I remember is Chaox saying, "Oh my gooooooooooooood" repeatedly.

He played a lot of "whatever I feel like" in it. The big difference is that the games would usually start and someone would go "OSHIT IT'S CHAOX" and the game would revolve around him. I don't think he really had any ragers in his games.

He even had some games where he really shouldn't have won due to playing poorly (one of the Karthus games) but did because his team actually worked together.

From what I watched of it he played like half top and half adc. And yea he was complaining a lot more while playing ADC compared to top.

Blizzard

Banned
Secret ranked strategy, rename yourself Cha0x or Ch4ox.

Somewhere there is a youtube video with some cheesy movie and some line like "They're eating him! And then they're going to eat me! Oh my gooooooood."

If I had that link I'd share it here!

Secret ranked strategy, rename yourself Cha0x or Ch4ox.

Somewhere there is a youtube video with some cheesy movie and some line like "They're eating him! And then they're going to eat me! Oh my gooooooood."

If I had that link I'd share it here!

Sure both of them are taken, but they just watch him stream and see his name and try to que when he does if they can.

garath

I remember him playing a LOT of Talon in that grind too.

See, play Talon, gain ELO.

scy

In the latest game update, we rolled out a second beta test of a new matchmaking change that is live in all territories. This change will increase your average queue time by about 30 seconds, but we hope the benefits are worthwhile.

--

The matchmaker will now take into account the Number of Wins a player has in every matchmade queue (Normal SR, Normal TT, Ranked Solo/Duo, etc).

This means that for the first few minutes, the matchmaker will attempt to find teammates and opponents that have a relatively similar Number of Wins as you in addition to trying to find teammates and opponents that also have a similar skill rating. However, this does not mean it's impossible to get matched into a game with a large difference in Number of Wins--it's just more rare.

We need your help! Please give us feedback on the changes.

PS - RiotKiddington was the dev that did most of the work.

So that happened.

scy

I--what? What do my TT wins have to do with SR?? :<

What TT wins?!

:x

To be fair, I think the point is that someone who has 1000 wins in X Queue has a certain baseline level of mechanical skill that carries over regardless of where they're at. The problem then becomes that this ignores the metagame differences between the queues.

I'd hope they get weighted differently depending on the queue though. That is, Blind, Draft, Ranked Solo, Ranked 5s SR all factor more towards SR than they do for TT and the same for TT factoring for SR. And then lol Dominion, I guess. Even something as simple as Total Wins = (Related Queues * 1.0) + (Unrelated Queues * 0.5) could be useful here.

I think it's also trying to fix the differences between, say, 10 wins 1800 Elo and 500 wins 1800 Elo. Basically trying to solve the smurf problem, I guess.

mercviper

What TT wins?!

:x

To be fair, I think the point is that someone who has 1000 wins in X Queue has a certain baseline level of mechanical skill that carries over regardless of where they're at. The problem then becomes that this ignores the metagame differences between the queues.

I'd hope they get weighted differently depending on the queue though. That is, Blind, Draft, Ranked Solo, Ranked 5s SR all factor more towards SR than they do for TT and the same for TT factoring for SR. And then lol Dominion, I guess. Even something as simple as Total Wins = (Related Queues * 1.0) + (Unrelated Queues * 0.5) could be useful here.

I think it's also trying to fix the differences between, say, 10 wins 1800 Elo and 500 wins 1800 Elo. Basically trying to solve the smurf problem, I guess.

My 2 TT wins will completely throw off my SR matchmaking!
Or really, it's the other way around. :x

I just thought they had a similar system in place already, but it only looked at the current map's win total, as opposed to all matchmaking queues. Throwing in other maps don't really make sense to me. Is smurfing even a problem?

scy

My 2 TT wins will completely throw off my SR matchmaking!
Or really, it's the other way around. :x

I just thought they had a similar system in place already, but it only looked at the current map's win total, as opposed to all matchmaking queues. Throwing in other maps don't really make sense to me. Is smurfing even a problem?

Well, the most likely target is the 1200 (+/- 150-200 Elo) bracket. So "eternal 1200" players aren't with people who are playing their first ranked game or whatever. To try and remove people who "lucked" into their Elo from getting matched up with people who "belong" there. You know the 1500 player who got carried 5 games or something.

I'm still not quite sure why the every queue is a factor but I guess it's for the same reason with new TT Ranked 3s team getting queued with literally anybody. Or something.

Dunno. Just trying to find the rationale behind it.

Oh god. I don't want to play with other 250 win people.

Keep in mind that your hidden Elo is still a factor. If you play with other 250 win people, then they have the same Elo as you.

I'd be more worried about the person with 2500 wins and the same Elo as you. That is, if you think your Elo is bad and all :x

Tenck

So just started yesterday, and I've found Blitz to be such a fun hero. Coming from Dota 2 is really difficult too. Minions are so tiny, and I'm hovering over heroes and seeing if my cursor turns red to see if they're enemies.

Is there any other hero with a skill shot, or one who's as fun as Blitz?

Edit: Also any tips on things I should avoid doing as a new player.

Ferrio

Banned
So just started yesterday, and I've found Blitz to be such a fun hero. Coming from Dota 2 is really difficult too. Minions are so tiny, and I'm hovering over heroes and seeing if my cursor turns red to see if they're enemies.

Many many many characters have skillshots. Blitz's is one of the most satisfying though.

You might like lux.

IsayFever

If you're on NA, join us in the NeoGaf chat room. Instructions can be found in the OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom