• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

But you did get out, and the fact that you were better than the other people at that elo made you carry your games until your elo was more accurate, that's how it should work?
It shouldn't be that hard to get out, but the fact that I was even that low in the first place.
The system just starts you out completely fucked in a way I've never felt on a competitive ladder before.

I'm hardly a decent player, but at least I played several hundred normal games AFTER hitting level 30 before attempting ranked. Most of the team mates I got at the beginning wouldn't feel comfortable in a Twisted Treeline match.

zkylon

zkylewd
Good thing I've never played ranked

What elo do you start at for the first time? 0?
I think you start around 1100-1200, give or take. You climb and fall very fast in the first few matches and then it goes down to about 10 elo per match.

People who think the worlds out to get them and that they only ever get the bad players on their team make me laugh, you and the other team are gonna be dealing with the same shit, you just don't realise it because when you go 7/0 you think you're just being a badass motherfucker owning shit up when in reality it's because their support didn't buy wards and their adc is playing ez for the first time because someone stole his mid pick.

Even if you get shit people on your team one game and they don't, next game they'll have the terrible ones, it all averages out. People who say it doesn't must think the universe is out to get them or that they are just incredibly unlucky or something equally stupid.

Sorry, just sick of people not taking responsibility for their elo, if you play enough games, you're probably about where you need to be. Everyone thinks they should be higher than they are and most of them are wrong, you can choose to think you're the exception if you want, but maybe you should just try focusing on actually improving at the game instead of moaning?

Rant over, I'm just tired of people making excuses, there's nothing wrong with having a low-ish elo as long as you're aiming to improve/still having fun competing at your level.
I dunno, elo is supposed to measure your play skill, not your skill dealing with griefers, feeders, afkers, etc. Those scum are rampant on ranked (to be honest I have had much better luck in S3 than S2), so really, there should be no elo for those people, just ban.

Also I wish the game would track how many wards you placed during a game and if you don't meet the minimum of, say, 1 per 20 minutes, you get a warning, and if you continue to do so, a ban. Just flush those people out because seriously they ruin the game for everybody.

If you want to mess around do it in normals, co-op, custom, you got tons of choices...

----

Also there's way too much pressure on your first 20 or so games to the point you can seriously fuck yourself over if you have a bad streak (seriously I had like 6 matches in a row with people AFKing in S2).

antitrop

Ya, really my point is that at sub-1000 elo a game loss usually doesn't even come down to the skill of any player in the game. It's usually whichever team doesn't have someone grief/disconnect/afk/intentionally feed will win. It's a completely different world.

It wasn't until I hit about 1000 that I was able to notice a tangible difference in the types of players I was being matched with, and I knew that I could queue a ranked game expecting it to be "fair", rather than going in knowing it's going to be a shitshow of random, unforseen bullshit and player bickering until someone's Nexus randomly explodes like at 800elo.

Blizzard

Banned
I went 1-9 in my placements and ended up at around 800.
I've worked my way back up to 1200 over the last few weeks, though. My goal is 1600 (or whatever the hell the equivalent of that would be in Riot's new system) before HOTS comes out in March.

You have no idea how fucking hard I had to carry to get out of 800 ELO. It might as well have been easier to start a new account and level it up to 30 again.

At least now at 1200 elo I feel like I'm somewhere around the same level of skill as my teammates and opponents, but at 800 I felt like Adam Sandler in Billy Madison.
I experimented early on in ranked and ended up going down to the 690-700 range. If I recall correctly, I then saw someone playing on someone else's account as Katarina in order to boost them back out. I said hey, Katarina seems cool (this was the pre-remake Katarina quite some time back), I started learning her, played tons of Katarina, had a 70% win rate with her at one point (with 100 ranked Kat games)...and still took like two MONTHS to gain the 500 elo back up to 1200. I think I've been in the 1100-1290 range or so ever since, which is probably where I belong.

So yes you can definitely get back out, it just takes forever when it's -11 per game, and I can understand how people can get frustrated especially when people go afk all game and there aren't any obvious consequences you can see.

And even with griefers or disconnects, 4v5 wins happen. Presumably a higher level player than me would win even those games, thus escaping even faster.

Blizzard

Banned
Is that what they call it now.
Well in the sense of starting ranked before I played enough normal matches to have experience, yeah. For instance I would go on a streak of playing AP Sion games, possibly trying to follow some guide. It wasn't HORRIBLE, and I don't think I would feed when I did it, but the chances of carrying a game that way are probably not very high.

Ken

Bring a vision of utopia to Runeterra with legendary Aether Wing Kayle, now available in the store for 1820 RP.

antitrop

Bring a vision of utopia to Runeterra with legendary Aether Wing Kayle, now available in the store for 1820 RP.
They got me for Pulsefire Ezreal and Eternum Nocturne, but not this one. Nope. NOT SPENDING THE MONEY. NOT DOING IT.
I'm going to go hide my credit card somewhere. At least Eternum Nocturne can breakdance.

And despite this one being Legendary, I think I still like Battleborn Kayle better.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Also I wish the game would track how many wards you placed during a game and if you don't meet the minimum of, say, 1 per 20 minutes, you get a warning, and if you continue to do so, a ban. Just flush those people out because seriously they ruin the game for everybody.
G9XE8.jpg
Can't remember the last time I had someone go AFK in a game. But I guess I don't play that much right now anyways, much more ranked. If you are in an ELO you don't think you should be in you ought to rise out of it. Anything you have to deal with the other team potentially does as well. You guys should probably ditch the victim complex.
If the system worked Summons would have stayed at 700 ELO.
Isn't this all changing soon anyways?

antitrop

All this ELO bullshit considered, Ranked League of Legends is still considerably less stressful than Ranked StarCraft II. My blood pressure is appreciating the break.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
All this ELO bullshit considered, Ranked League of Legends is still considerably less stressful than Ranked StarCraft II. My blood pressure is appreciating the break.

I agree. Laddering is soooooo much more stressful in SCII than ranking in LoL. Ugh.

zkylon

zkylewd
Also if post-ban you continue to not ward, off to the gulags with you.

And personally I'm quite pleased with S3, I can safely say I had shitty teammates but no more than in normals, which probably relates to my own shitty skill.

antitrop

I very, very, very much appreciate the Teleport and Recall animation icons they added to the minimap in the new patch.
Also, the new chat text seems more readable now and I remember them previously improving that even as recently as November, I think it was. Cool.
Wasn't too happy the new patch changed a bunch of my options back to Default values. Spent pretty much the course of an entire ranked match trying to get them all back to normal.

"DisableCameraSnapOnRespawn=1" is a god-send.

Also, fuck Riot for nerfing Ezreal's attack speed, even if only by .04. They nerfed attack speed enough already from S2->3. ADC used to mean something.

Can anyone tell me a good reason why they redid some of the voice overs of the announcer lady, making them worse? Why would they do that?

Blizzard

Banned
I agree that the new teleport and recall animations are nice. Also I really like the new ward icons. You can easily see where wards are, and at a glance tell which ones are pink and which ones are normal.

BlazinAm

Here are my last two matches :

eqsjK.jpg

evf9y.jpg

In the second game fancyCollin did not know what he was doing, when I asked him to build a warmog; he asked me if it was a dragon. Also he built a wriggles in lane.

I don't even care about getting win of the day anymore more but matches like these two are just so draining. Also i have like 36 wins on my bonus left....
I feel thta I should be more reactive to what my opponents are building. I know in the first game I should have went with more ad items but that second game... i am lost.

EXGN

Just call me EXGNostradamus. My post in the Reddit thread, ~6 hours before the match:

WE versus IG should be good. I'm expecting IG to bust out some sort of cheese, and I reckon Elise will either be banned or a priority support pick. XiaoXiao and Fzzf are both loving her as of late.

Definitely gotta give the edge to WE, but I could see this easily going into a split.

Match: http://www.twitch.tv/eslasia/b/357818423?t=14m03s

They should pay me with virgin Teemos for my insight.

BlazinAm

5 Warmogs Shen. Someoene was reading crackbaby's ARAM mundo guide.

Speaking of crackbaby, haven't seen him on mumble lately.

No, it's so zed can auto attack shen while riven auto attacks zed. Meanwhile, shen just q's super minions and nobody dies.
My worry was more Nidalee and Riven than Shen. Also that Orianna quit at the thirty minute mark. We manage to push from losing all the towers and hitting their top inhib. I think I should have played better, but I don't know what I should have built. I needed my ad up as high as possible while keeping high amounts of health to survive attacks.

Agkel

So this just happened:
6Leb8.jpg

-We had lost the match at the 30 min mark, we all knew accepted it and decided to keep fighting for funsies. No blames, no flames, just fun.

-At the 51 min mark a team fight forms up at our inner bot tower. I sacrifice myself with crows taking 1 down and everyone else to low hp. Our other 4 guys start chasing them all the way to the base.

-Yi and Teemo break off and do their mid inhib. We regroup. Once again they come mid and another lucky well placed crow attack, took 2 of them and our team got another one.

-We push mid and having everyone alive we managed to win. Such an amazing feeling to come back like that so unexpectedly.

Q8D3vil

So they released Kayle new skin as a Legendary.
Got to be the worst legendary in the game (At least compared to the newly released ones).

zkylon

zkylewd
What the fuck the Kayle skin is a legendary. Pissed....
Yeah, that's crazy dumb... it looks good but really should've been 975

Bought Arcade Sona off some dude on Ebay for $5.50. We'll see if I get ripped off heh but just the idea of beating Riot to some bucks fills me with joy.

Also bought Caitlyn and had a semi-good match with her. I was gonna get Vi but I got tired of Graves being my only carry, since I dunno what happened to Corki on S3 but he feels weak as all hell. She's pretty cool, I love when I see two weak guys, ult one of them and it's "save yourselves!" time lol...

Her default model and splash art are hideous as all hell (funny hat and all) so... Resistance or Sheriff? Prolly gonna go with Resistance, Sheriff is great in the splash art but the actual model looks drab and boring and Resistance at least has some blue plasma stuff on the gun magazine. Or something. I like blue.

Also this happened.

T_T

Boken

Banned
Yeah, that's crazy dumb... it looks good but really should've been 975

Bought Arcade Sona off some dude on Ebay for $5.50. We'll see if I get ripped off heh but just the idea of beating Riot to some bucks fills me with joy.

Also bought Caitlyn and had a semi-good match with her. I was gonna get Vi but I got tired of Graves being my only carry, since I dunno what happened to Corki on S3 but he feels weak as all hell. She's pretty cool, I love when I see two weak guys, ult one of them and it's "save yourselves!" time lol...

Her default model and splash art are hideous as all hell (funny hat and all) so... Resistance or Sheriff? Prolly gonna go with Resistance, Sheriff is great in the splash art but the actual model looks drab and boring and Resistance at least has some blue plasma stuff on the gun magazine. Or something. I like blue.

Also this happened.

T_T

More like arctic cait

antitrop

When ADC means something. Also holy fucking 0-15 Zyra. :(

Will people continue to tell me that Caitlyn counters Ezreal? NEXT TIME ON RANKED SOLOQUEUE

AM4zq.jpg

OZyJq.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
In SCII not only is there more micromanagement, but also there's no one else to blame for mistakes. (unless there's 2v2 laddering or something-- I've never tried it to know)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So they released Kayle new skin as a Legendary.
Got to be the worst legendary in the game (At least compared to the newly released ones).
Unique voice work, spell effects, etc. What did you really expect?

antitrop

People just blame race imbalances instead ;)
David Kim. (Lead Balance Designer for SC2)
He was semi-pro in Brood War and was picked up by Blizzard for that job in SC2. He played on the North American ladder at a high level for a long time after release.

I see Riot do similar things in the LoL community.

Blizzard

Banned
waro4js8.png

45-minute victory, 4v5 game basically since cho kept disconnecting and would end up walking into the enemy jungle, went 0/10/0 or worse before even any assists. Vayne had a quadrakill and kept us from losing.

Overall though, welcome to the league of warmogs.

Ferga

Sometimes when my brother plays (his around 900elo), he sometimes asks for me to carry him a few points. I pick akali and shaco and stomp my way through like 100elo in less than a hour. I've had a 16minute game on his account before. I was 20/0/0 ap shaco that game and killed turrets in 5hits with my lichbane.

In other words, Elo hell is different for everyone. 1500s is my hell while others may see hell in 1000. It's just a place where you can't carry yourself out of alone and your teammates don't play at your skill.

I mean I've mained adc for a year and a half and once I got to 1500, I just got stuck. I can't win with adc because people don't know what to do with a adc who is legendary/up by 50cs.

Today me and bind were duo at bot. We destroyed our lane. Mid also won. Top lost but the game was still very winnable. I mean we were ahead by 5k gold in 20minutes. But you know what happened?

The other 3 players on our team just started wandering around, chasing full hp targets into the Enemy jungle alone and getting murdered. This happened for about 10-15mins. When I asked why we weren't grouping even though I'm fed, they say;

"HOW CAN WE GROUP WHEN LEE IS TOP?????"

Context: The enemy Lee was split pushing top all game and our team kept trying (and failing. he didnt die once) to gank him through lane while the other enemies split push, got dragons/barons and getting easy kills by counterganks while me and bind sat there stunned at how bad the team was. I tried threats saying ill just quit if they don't want to group and suicide all game. The team just told me to stfu and leave already.

Lesson I've learnt in 1500: supports carry games harder than adcs.

Snowman

Sometimes when my brother plays (his around 900elo), he sometimes asks for me to carry him a few points. I pick akali and shaco and stomp my way through like 100elo in less than a hour. I've had a 16minute game on his account before. I was 20/0/0 ap shaco that game and killed turrets in 5hits with my lichbane.

In other words, Elo hell is different for everyone. 1500s is my hell while others may see hell in 1000. It's just a place where you can't carry yourself out of alone and your teammates don't play at your skill.

I mean I've mained adc for a year and a half and once I got to 1500, I just got stuck. I can't win with adc because people don't know what to do with a adc who is legendary/up by 50cs.

Today me and bind were duo at bot. We destroyed our lane. Mid also won. Top lost but the game was still very winnable. I mean we were ahead by 5k gold in 20minutes. But you know what happened?

The other 3 players on our team just started wandering around, chasing full hp targets into the Enemy jungle alone and getting murdered. This happened for about 10-15mins. When I asked why we weren't grouping even though I'm fed, they say;

"HOW CAN WE GROUP WHEN LEE IS TOP?????"

Context: The enemy Lee was split pushing top all game and our team kept trying (and failing. he didnt die once) to gank him through lane while the other enemies split push, got dragons/barons and getting easy kills by counterganks while me and bind sat there stunned at how bad the team was. I tried threats saying ill just quit if they don't want to group and suicide all game. The team just told me to stfu and leave already.

Lesson I've learnt in 1500: supports carry games harder than adcs.

But you don't have to carry your games to get higher elo, you just have to be good enough to make a slight difference that will average out when you play a lot of games. The other team have to deal with the same shit and if you're really at a skill above 1500 elo and you've played 50+ games since getting there, you wouldn't be there anymore. Stop deluding yourself. You are a 1500 elo player. And the reason you are stuck there is because you're not improving because you pay more attention to your teammates mistakes than your own. Sorry, but somebody had to tell you at some point.

bjaelke

So apparently IEM starts today. Gambit Gaming (M5) vs Azubu Blaze is the first game. Not a bad way to start the weekend.
Bruiser top, bruiser mid, bruiser jungle, duo bruiser bot new meta.

Someone on KT Rolster B has been reading GAF. Jarvan, Irelia, Lee Sin, Khazix...and Annie.

Ferga

But you don't have to carry your games to get higher elo, you just have to be good enough to make a slight difference that will average out when you play a lot of games. The other team have to deal with the same shit and if you're really at a skill above 1500 elo and you've played 50+ games since getting there, you wouldn't be there anymore. Stop deluding yourself. You are a 1500 elo player. And the reason you are stuck there is because you're not improving because you pay more attention to your teammates mistakes than your own. Sorry, but somebody had to tell you at some point.

Eh I don't think so. My normal draft Elo was 1850 last June when lolmatches was still up and running. My wins over losses has increased by 150 since then. People who spectate my games will understand the shit I go through in ranked. People suiciding, refusing to group up and tower diving at unnecessary times when people are pinging to b.

So yeah. I win my bot lane more than 90% of the time. You can ask 1/4 of GAF and they will tell you it's true. But the adc position cannot single handedly carry a game in season 3 with the itemisation nerfs and the rise of assassins. In season 2, I went from 1200 to 1600elo in 2 days with nothing but adc and I could have probably kept going but solo queue was boring at the time because I rather play with my friends and GAF.

Getting one shot by a under farmed assassin is not fun right now. I've started to play panth and zed recently and I am now winning most of my games. It's not because I'm a bad player; it's because the game is just stupidly ridiculous and easy when you play an assassin. Therefore it is fucking impossible to win a game without a team to peel and fight FOR you and not for their own k/d stats when you're adc

And I also rarely focus on a win. I always improve my csing every game and improve on my poking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom