• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Guys, what is the best connection speed to stream?

My computer has no issues streaming in 1080p or 720p, but I have noticed that, even with the wifi in my own house, the people living get some freezing issues because the bitrate is a bit high.

If you have a decent connection and fast speed (anything above a solid 4mb down) then there shouldn't be any issues, especially if you are using a wired connection.

So what's best for streaming? Will 1080p turn away low connection speed peasants? I really have no idea about the specs of the average viewer or LoL player.

zkylon

zkylewd
Guys, what is the best connection speed to stream?

My computer has no issues streaming in 1080p or 720p, but I have noticed that, even with the wifi in my own house, the people living get some freezing issues because the bitrate is a bit high.

If you have a decent connection and fast speed (anything above a solid 4mb down) then there shouldn't be any issues, especially if you are using a wired connection.

So what's best for streaming? Will 1080p turn away low connection speed peasants? I really have no idea about the specs of the average viewer or LoL player.
Twitch allows you to pick your own video quality, so if people are getting laggy video on higher resolutions they just need to turn it down a notch.

I kinda wish TwitchTV supported 540p, so we could get at least one good sub-HD resolution.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Twitch allows you to pick your own video quality, so if people are getting laggy video on higher resolutions they just need to turn it down a notch.

I kinda wish TwitchTV supported 540p, so we could get at least one good sub-HD resolution.

Ah, that's cool. Every time I view my own videos it doesn't give me an option, just defaults it to the highest setting, and it seems to do that everyone on my IP too, Logged in or not.

Not having to worry about it is cool.

Game 4 of Xin Spree Go!

Anyone here go from a 3DS to a 3DS XL? Debating picking one up for FE.
I had both. Sold my original.

XL has weaker speakers, cheaper stylus and cheaper looks overall. The pixel density is undoubtedly worse. Bigger screen is totally preferential and not an upgrade. Battery is a bit better specially in sleep mode.

I had a lot of second thoughts about selling my original when I put them side by side. The pixel on the original is just much better.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The original 3DS is the best, even though the bigger screen on the XL is easier on the eyes.

My Xin-Spree ends at game four. As you can see, I held my own although I didn't farm minions... at all. Big mistake there, but I found it hard to find an opportunity to do so.

Got a few cheap kills in early and put me ahead, but I suspect the enemy team caught up quickly with my teammates dying - one time I ventured up to the top land the enemy was two levels above me, scared me shitless. A few careless mistakes, a few ganks and I think I died too much, I suspect the enemy was gunning for me at times, so I'll have to re-watch and be sure.

The enemy Xin had the upper hand in every encounter, so props to him.

Ken

When you start getting some real team comps you'll hopefully get your own lane of minions.

On the other hand people will be more aggressive in calling for solo lanes and insta-locking top/mid picks.

Anyways I guess I'll pass on XL for now. Already have a white and black original 3DS and it looks like there's no white 3DS XL in America yet.

oh look what got bumped

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505634&page=2 SHOULD I BUY A 3DS XL.

Roybr

Got a 3DS XL as a gift just in time for my Fire Emblem. One of my favorite series.

Today i was at work, and i had to get some papers for one guy. I check the papers and they were outrageous! His name was TARIC. In my mind i kept saying gems for 50 minutes straight

So, I'm just starting to play... and I need some suggestions to choose a champion... (I'm a total noob).

I found Ahri interesting. (I have always liked foxes. So, you can assume I have some affinity to foxes...) How could you not?

But I don't want to make a bad choice just for that...

Enlighten me with your wisdom LoLGAF!

garath

You only get to pick resolution if the streamer is a partner or part of a partnered network. I would suggest 720p.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So, I'm just starting to play... and I need some suggestions to choose a champion... (I'm a total noob).

I found Ahri interesting. (I have always liked foxes. So, you can assume I have some affinity to foxes...) How could you not?

It is kind of hard to go wrong when it comes to learning new champions. I would really recommend just kind of going through everybody that's free for a few weeks and finding what you like. It'll also give you a better understanding of what every champion is capable of when you fight against them.

zkylon

zkylewd
The original 3DS is the best, even though the bigger screen on the XL is easier on the eyes.

My Xin-Spree ends at game four. As you can see, I held my own although I didn't farm minions... at all. Big mistake there, but I found it hard to find an opportunity to do so.

Got a few cheap kills in early and put me ahead, but I suspect the enemy team caught up quickly with my teammates dying - one time I ventured up to the top land the enemy was two levels above me, scared me shitless. A few careless mistakes, a few ganks and I think I died too much, I suspect the enemy was gunning for me at times, so I'll have to re-watch and be sure.

The enemy Xin had the upper hand in every encounter, so props to him.
A kill with the basic bounty nets you 300g, which is about 20 minions (15g each) or less as the game goes on. If you get that ahead without farming, imagine how much you could outitemize your enemies if you did farm.

If you weren't even in your lane to miss on the last hits, you lost on a lot of experience, too.

Bottom line, farming like your life depends on it is always good. Even if you don't reach the ideal 100 minions by 10' and 220 by 20' (which I think is just impossible), you should be at least try to outfarm your enemy laner.

Kenai

Aesthetics matter, but so do how the characters play. You will quite likely suck with most (all) characters at first, so after some serious practice try them all again periodically even if you don't like them the first few times.

Tristana and a skin are free from FB, Alistair from Youtube (both solid champs), and then the others rotate around. Try every toon you can, find ones you like, and then branch out. Don't go by point value, even the low cost champs can be quite good. Wait til the ones you are interested in rotate to free week to prevent buyer's remorse.

It is kind of hard to go wrong when it comes to learning new champions. I would really recommend just kind of going through everybody that's free for a few weeks and finding what you like. It'll also give you a better understanding of what every champion is capable of when you fight against them.

But I suppose there are some champions that are more noob friendly than others... ? I'm really bad in making choices.

Aesthetics matter, but so do how the characters play. You will quite likely suck with most (all) characters at first, so after some serious practice try them all again periodically even if you don't like them the first few times.

Tristana and a skin are free from FB, Alistair from Youtube (both solid champs), and then the others rotate around. Try every toon you can, find ones you like, and then branch out. Don't go by point value, even the low cost champs can be quite good. Wait til the ones you are interested in rotate to free week to prevent buyer's remorse.

I think you're right. Anyway, tomorrow I'll ask some friends that do play LoL about how they started, so tomorrow when I've more time, I can play tomorrow much more.

Doing a little research, it seems like she got really nerfed since release, specially her ultimate ability. So... what are the good-average choice of this week, in your opinion?

zkylon

zkylewd
You only get to pick resolution if the streamer is a partner or part of a partnered network. I would suggest 720p.
Ah, didn't know this.

Ahri has a kind of a high skill level, not that high, but requires some positioning that might be hard to get right at first.

Why not try the free champs first, while you build some IP to be able to buy whoever you want?

There's a pretty good selection of free champs right now: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/new-free-champion-rotation-preseason-week-11

But I suppose there are some champions that are more noob friendly than others... ? I'm really bad in making choices.
You can't go wrong with free. Pick one of the free ones that you like how it looks and just play. The only free champion I'd say is hard to play this week would be Riven, and even with Riven I assume you'll do well in low levels (and she might teach you some good game dynamics) so just pick whoever you like and play.

More often than not it's not worth it to spend 6300 IP/whatever RP on a champ if you don't know how she plays.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Doing a little research, it seems like she got really nerfed since release, specially her ultimate ability. So... what are the good-average choice of this week, in your opinion?
Ahri is still fine. Definitely try Katarina and Lulu this week if you can.

garath

Worst LoL night in awhile. I can handle shitty teams and losses but I hate it when I play poorly. Finally get to play mid again and my khazix gets spanked by a kennen mid. I manage to keep up farm and start to make a comeback but my team just couldn't get it going.

Then I picked alkali thinking it was zed mid, instead it was rumble. That was my worst alkali lane ever. I got a little help from my jungler which turned into a rumble double kill at level 4 and it went downhill from there. I finally started to be able to push him back and started getting 4 man ganked. Rumbles damn flamethrower sucks so much.

Terrible terrible games. Its been so long since I've actually been able to play mid I thinkbive forgotten how to play it! Lol.... :(

Sigh. Just venting.

zkylon

zkylewd
She's fine, I imagine she might've benefited a lot from Liandry's, now that I think about it.

From this week, the AP mids, Kat's easy, Ziggs is fun, Malzahar is OP.

Ken

Wow. Lost to a Kassadin support. Game should have been ours but Garen went derp mode and started blaming everyone for no reason and doing his own thing. And then the throws by him. Gets caught in jungle and then blames everyone.
Asral joined the room.
I3EA5TM0D3 joined the room.
Skûll joined the room.
LordQuasimoto joined the room.
ddm101 joined the room.
Corgi the Chloe joined the room.
LordQuasimoto: lol
ddm101: GAREN GO FUCKIN DIE
I3EA5TM0D3: nice come back team
ddm101: PLEASE
LordQuasimoto: ^
ddm101: JUST DIE
LordQuasimoto: and they want to report me
ddm101: i dont care iof i get ban
ddm101: just die
ddm101: bicth
rXnProlific: report kass
rXnProlific: troll
LordQuasimoto: k
LordQuasimoto: if yo ureport
LordQuasimoto: me entire team
LordQuasimoto: for verbal abuse
ddm101: stfu
ddm101: garen
ddm101: you LITLLE
ddm101: SHIT
ddm101: GO FUCKIN FUCKK YOURSELF
ddm101: AND DIE

Dodge if you get LordQuasimoto on your team. Sigh.

And yeah, Garen is still as useless as ever. Just going to dodge whenever I get one on my team.

Kenai

For me personally, I learned best from the lowbie champs. Annie mechanics beg you to practice last hitting minions, Soraka is a solid (if a bit boring) support, Ashe is very "simple" (passive) to play, and Garen is nice and "safe" top lane as far as melee champs go. Between those and the various free champs you can get a basic idea. Some of my favorite characters (Ziggs, Fizz, LeBlanc, Fiora, Draven) I disliked very much/did horribly with my first couple of tries, especially when I was newer, and I still mess up on them more than I care to admit.

Fair warning, though: even champs in the same role can have very different play-styles and builds, so don't necessarily go by role if you end up finding a champ you like. Watching the speculate channel or Youtube to look at champs and seeing other use them sometimes helps too, but ultimately it will be what you like best, or what clicks, or both.

Then again, you might fall in love with a skin/character style so much you force yourself to learn said champ. I can think of a few people who fit that description (myself included).

Snowman

Even if you don't reach the ideal 100 minions by 10' and 220 by 20' (which I think is just impossible

Holy shit is that really what I should be aiming for? I'm always really proud of myself if I manage 100 by 12 minutes. Guess I need to up my game!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Played Kayle since apparently she's becoming a FoTM lately. She's amazing mid lane.

support is so EZ
u just
u just walk up
PRESENCE
where u goin nunu

Too much truth.

scy

AP/ASPD Kayle is just pretty strong. She'll probably be nerfed somehow. The loss of Mana Regen on her build path may help for that but just means buy a mana pot for early game.

She's fine, I imagine she might've benefited a lot from Liandry's, now that I think about it.

New DFG is a bigger deal for her probably. That and hyper mobility really helps. Keeps her from getting instantly destroyed!

zkylon

zkylewd
Holy shit is that really what I should be aiming for? I'm always really proud of myself if I manage 100 by 12 minutes. Guess I need to up my game!
100 by 12 minutes is very good. That's technically how much CS you should have, but it doesn't ever happen, even in pro matches.

Something like 80 by 10 and 150 by 20 sounds a little better.

New DFG is a bigger deal for her probably. That and hyper mobility really helps. Keeps her from getting instantly destroyed!
Yeah, probably. I stopped playing her with DFG because why play a champ that can burst one enemy when you can play Ori and just burst them ALL MWAHAHHAHAHAAH

Or lasers.

BlazinAm

I like how people don't understand what I am doing when I throw my lantern out as Thresh. I want to get you out of the ganking situation that you are in. ughhh

zkylon

zkylewd
My only consolation on shitty streak nights such as this is that at least I'm not playing on the League of Corgis.

Also I'm now going to eat cake.

Chocolate cake.

mercviper

100 by 12 minutes is very good. That's technically how much CS you should have, but it doesn't ever happen, even in pro matches.

Something like 80 by 10 and 150 by 20 sounds a little better.

Uhh 80 by 10 minutes is a reasonable benchmark because you have 2 minutes w/o creeps. in the next ten minutes you should have another 100 if you keep the pace. Doing really well means you should have 200+ by 20 minutes. Using 150 is really subpar by 20 minutes.

zkylon

zkylewd
Uhh 80 by 10 minutes is a reasonable benchmark because you have 2 minutes w/o creeps. in the next ten minutes you should have another 100 if you keep the pace. Doing really well means you should have 200+ by 20 minutes. Using 150 is really subpar by 20 minutes.
Well I'm just saying "reasonable" numbers, not something competitive or anything.

Personally I've never managed to get 200 CS by 20 minutes and I just don't see it ever happening, even with the champions I farm the better, like Orianna or Lux, I'll rarely get to 300 CS by the end of a 40 minute match. I don't see many other players reach that either, so I really think 200 CS by 20 minutes is unrealistic for any normal player.

I imagine I could improve my CS a lot by managing downtimes between fights, dragons, ganks, etc. better, doing Wraiths more often, being better at farming under tower and just straight taking time to farm after laning phase, but really I don't see 150 is really subpar unless you're comparing yourself to a pro or whatever.

mercviper

Well I'm just saying "reasonable" numbers, not something competitive or anything.

Personally I've never managed to get 200 CS by 20 minutes and I just don't see it ever happening, even with the champions I farm the better, like Orianna or Lux, I'll rarely get to 300 CS by the end of a 40 minute match. I don't see many other players reach that either, so I really think 200 CS by 20 minutes is unrealistic for any normal player.

I imagine I could improve my CS a lot by managing downtimes between fights, dragons, ganks, etc. better, doing Wraiths more often, being better at farming under tower and just straight taking time to farm after laning phase, but really I don't see 150 is really subpar unless you're comparing yourself to a pro or whatever.

I'm just saying, if you think 80 by 10 minutes is reasonable, then 180 by 20 minutes is also reasonable. My CS is terrible too. 200 by 20 is something we should all strive for, or in this case, 180 by 20, regardless of skill level. It's a basic skill that's fundamental to getting better in this game and something that everyone should practice.

If you're going to lower the 20 minute benchmark to 150, then you should lower the 10 minute benchmark to 65 to match it. Getting 180 @ 20 is only matching the pace you set by claiming 80 @ 10. Keep in mind that 200 CS @ 20 is out of ~234 creeps not counting the jungle, so that's an ~85% claim to the CS. 150 out of 234 is ~65%, leaving plenty of room for improvement. Also keep in mind that asking for 80 @ 10 is out of ~107 creeps, which is much closer to the 'impossible' odds that you say 200 @ 20 is. If you can find 80 @ 10 acceptable then you should find 180 @ 20 just as good.

Booo

Merc only has his voice. boooo.

Where's the cheering and shouting

I think it's because I route the mumble output to my headset instead of the speakers. :<

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It should be noted that farming from 0-10 minutes is not the same as farming from 10-20. Lanes start breaking down, you're needed elsewhere, you're getting ganked/camped, gotta watch out for that level 6+ jungler, etc.

Ferga

Jungle cs is more like 120-150cs at 20minutes.

Anymore, you're taking too much cs from lanes or you're farming too much and not helping laners or counterjungling.

I think people in solo queue in lower-medium elos stop farming after laning and only farm when lanes start pushing in. So there will only be one player who has reasonable cs.

And the team who doesn't group up or groups up last will usually lose a lot of objectives. So much that they will be too behind to actually group up and fight when they realise that they have to group. So it becomes a turtle game where there is a player who complains and gives up and starts throwing. That's why I beg for people to group up and catch other teams off guard in solo queue.

But in premade 5s, i trust GAF to not get caught so we can all farm up and group up to defend when we need to when the enemies try to push and lose farm from other lanes.

Neki

Jungle cs is more like 120-150cs at 20minutes.

Anymore, you're taking too much cs from lanes or you're farming too much and not helping laners or counterjungling.

I think people in solo queue in lower-medium elos stop farming after laning and only farm when lanes start pushing in. So there will only be one player who has reasonable cs.

And the team who doesn't group up or groups up last will usually lose a lot of objectives. So much that they will be too behind to actually group up and fight when they realise that they have to group. So it becomes a turtle game where there is a player who complains and gives up and starts throwing. That's why I beg for people to group up and catch other teams off guard in solo queue.

But in premade 5s, i trust GAF to not get caught so we can all farm up and group up to defend when we need to when the enemies try to push and lose farm from other lanes.

lol trust gaf premades

only person you can trust around here is boken

boken's ability to complain

Playing LoL at 130+ FPS is weeeeird. Great, but weird.

Didn't realise how much detail you lose even going down to high settings. I saw a Blood Lord Vlad while playing on my new machine yesterday and I've never seen some of the effects before. Tides of Blood looks amazing.

Need to try my Eternum Nocturne.

1080p, everything maxed and ~130 fps is a massive difference from 1440 x 900 @ high, 30-50 fps.

scy

I'm just saying, if you think 80 by 10 minutes is reasonable, then 180 by 20 minutes is also reasonable. My CS is terrible too. 200 by 20 is something we should all strive for, or in this case, 180 by 20, regardless of skill level. It's a basic skill that's fundamental to getting better in this game and something that everyone should practice.

If you're going to lower the 20 minute benchmark to 150, then you should lower the 10 minute benchmark to 65 to match it. Getting 180 @ 20 is only matching the pace you set by claiming 80 @ 10. Keep in mind that 200 CS @ 20 is out of ~234 creeps not counting the jungle, so that's an ~85% claim to the CS. 150 out of 234 is ~65%, leaving plenty of room for improvement. Also keep in mind that asking for 80 @ 10 is out of ~107 creeps, which is much closer to the 'impossible' odds that you say 200 @ 20 is. If you can find 80 @ 10 acceptable then you should find 180 @ 20 just as good.

Of the two SR games last night, I'm angry that the Kayle one only had ~160cs @ 20m.

I somehow had 190cs as Thresh. ;_;

Then again, that game was a complete stomp, despite our best efforts to throw it.

Anyway, I'm out of practice with farming and I still hold myself to 80/200 benchmarks. And I try to minimize some factors (e.g., kills, harass, etc.) so I don't use them as excuses. Yes, my cs ability is impacted by negative things happening like ganks and dying but I shouldn't really "Well, I had 150cs BUT I got a kill!" I should have better cs WITH the kill. It's almost never "cs or kill" situations. I can always do better while accomplishing the same things.

It should be noted that farming from 0-10 minutes is not the same as farming from 10-20. Lanes start breaking down, you're needed elsewhere, you're getting ganked/camped, gotta watch out for that level 6+ jungler, etc.

10m-20m lane farming is when I find it easiest to farm, generally speaking. Better wave clear options and lane dominance is already established, etc. Roaming is a factor, yeah, but that's generally after hard pushing to their tower and then going. You don't tend to lose much cs doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom