• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercviper

i do man, but its so frustrating teaching 4 players how to play while playing perfectly myself and still get shit on for every little mistake (sometimes it wasn't even really a mistake). i'm no pro and i know that but i'm better than bronze 5, as i said my friends are all around 1800 elo and i'm usually the best of us if we play teams.

:<. Alternatively, if it's the derpiness of 4 players, run a duo with a friend and the both of you can carry together. you'll get marginally better teammates that will maybe not build 3 warmogs + AP items on ADC, and both of you can carry since the ELO average is like 1300.

Some tips. Seriously. This is what I do in ranked.

1.) Talk if only necessary. Congratulate good stuff such as a team member getting a kill. If someone dies, don't say anything harsh. Keep it simple and the chat environment positive.

2.) Don't juggle learning and trying to teach players. In fact, don't even do both. Think of ranked as an exam in ways. What you learn in normal and other ranked is what you're being tested on. It's a ground to prove your skills. Not learn more than show off.

3.) Learn at least 3 roles for ranked. Don't whine about you not getting a role and stuff and try to adapt to your team's environment. When in doubt, just don't talk.

4.) Learn at least 3 champions for each role in case they get banned, picked, or countering opponents.

5.) Use pings.

I think he's already doing these things.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
:<. Alternatively, if it's the derpiness of 4 players, run a duo with a friend and the both of you can carry together. you'll get marginally better teammates that will maybe not build 3 warmogs + AP items on ADC, and both of you can carry since the ELO average is like 1300.

The average might be lower now.... Not by much but just a little.

I think he's already doing these things.

You never know mang.

brian!

wait how many ppl are making fantasy teams that are theoretically good and how many are just making weird ass teams I need to know

kayos90

What are you even saying.

When everyone transferred to the new ranked model, Gold people ended up being in silver and such. Unless it was something with the transfer, I assumed that the ranked average was brought down. Sort of like a while ago when they had ranked tiers before season 2 ended, my elo went up. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just what I noticed.

wait how many ppl are making fantasy teams that are theoretically good and how many are just making weird ass teams I need to know

Oh boy.

mercviper

When everyone transferred to the new ranked model, Gold people ended up being in silver and such. Unless it was something with the transfer, I assumed that the ranked average was brought down.

That's just a redistricting of what ELO ranges the corresponding tiers were. It didn't mean your ELO fell.

Sort of like a while ago when they had ranked tiers before season 2 ended, my elo went up. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just what I noticed.

wat?

Edit: I think you're trying to address how the ELO you were at represented a different % of the population you were higher than on the ladder because of change over time. I'm not talking about that at all and that statistic doesn't have anything to do with matchmaking.

mercviper

Ah. I can see that.

Yeah. It went up 40 or so points. I was lower than 1250 but I went to 1280 or so

That sounds like the soft reset and that'd be because you were below average and they were bringing you closer to it for when you started placement matches for S3. Doesn't affect anything.

Edit: Anyway, I just realized you misinterpreted my post earlier. I meant that the average with him and one of his 1800 friends would be near the 13-1400 level which, if they're both playing with the mechanical skill of 1800, is easy to carry through.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So I want to play my first PvP Matches. What do I need to know to not completely scrub it up more than I already will? I hear about stuff like picking/counter picking, jungle ganking (hell jungle-ing in general, Baron, etc. that simply doesn't come up in bot games (baron I've taken down a couple times actually when people were just wanting to fuck around and get kills, but yah).

I already know the game has a reputation for its playerbase being a bit... toxic, so I'm a little scared of going in and completely fucking up.

I *plan* on playing Cho'gath. In bot games I've been mainly running him top lane, following various builds I've seen online.

scy

i do man, but its so frustrating teaching 4 players how to play while playing perfectly myself and still get shit on for every little mistake (sometimes it wasn't even really a mistake).

I would personally never think that I'm playing perfectly. Even if the team feeds and all is lost, still should be finding things you could have done better to have helped.

i'm no pro and i know that but i'm better than bronze 5, as i said my friends are all around 1800 elo and i'm usually the best of us if we play teams.

Just to note, just because you're in Bronze 5 doesn't mean you're against Bronze players. You're still matched vs your MMR, not your placement.

That said, not entirely sure how relevant "best of us" in premades really is. A lot of how you carry games in solo queue is different than in premades, especially if it's a role like ADC where you can get by with good peels.

I mean, sometimes you have to learn the rough ways to win and that's snowball champs and early dominance rather than playing for the long-term.

Unless it was something with the transfer, I assumed that the ranked average was brought down.

Regardless of how it works, this isn't what merc was saying. He meant that it averages the MMR between the duo when determining matchmaking.

So I want to play my first PvP Matches. What do I need to know to not completely scrub it up more than I already will? I hear about stuff like picking/counter picking, jungle ganking (hell jungle-ing in general, Baron, etc. that simply doesn't come up in bot games (baron I've taken down a couple times actually when people were just wanting to fuck around and get kills, but yah).

Ward. And then actually watch your ward. It does nothing to ward an area and then never actually pay attention to it. Get into the habit of watching the mini-map periodically. Get in the habit of calling mias
and having them ignored
and did I mention pay attention to the mini-map? You should do that.

Timing of towers and objectives (Dragon, Baron) will just kind of happen. It's hard to really give a hard and fast answer to this as it varies a lot. Just play games and you'll start to pick up on when you should take a tower and when objectives are free-to-take or easily contested. It's more an experience thing than set rules.

I wouldn't worry too much about counter-picking sort of things in low level games. Unless they're a smurf, you generally won't see too many people familiar enough with a champion that these sort of "this kit vs that kit" discussion really means much. Personally, I used my 1-30 time to just play a champ I liked and to figure out how to read my opponent so I can get a feel for what they're trying to do as a player (e.g., being able to tell when you're being baited for something, how they'll prioritize last hits or harass, etc.).

I already know the game has a reputation for its playerbase being a bit... toxic, so I'm a little scared of going in and completely fucking up.

Just ignore people. Easier said than done but it's the simplest solution :x

kayos90

That sounds like the soft reset and that'd be because you were below average and they were bringing you closer to it for when you started placement matches for S3. Doesn't affect anything.

Edit: Anyway, I just realized you misinterpreted my post earlier. I meant that the average with him and one of his 1800 friends would be near the 13-1400 level which, if they're both playing with the mechanical skill of 1800, is easy to carry through.

I thought they put a cap on elo difference if you are duo queueing. Anyway sorry for the misunderstanding... I read it completely wrong...

Regardless of how it works, this isn't what merc was saying. He meant that it averages the MMR between the duo when determining matchmaking.

Yeah. I got that last part. No need to reiterate.

mercviper

So I want to play my first PvP Matches. What do I need to know to not completely scrub it up more than I already will? I hear about stuff like picking/counter picking, jungle ganking, Baron, etc. that simply doesn't come up in bot games (baron I've taken down a couple times actually when people were just wanting to fuck around and get kills, but yah).

I *plan* on playing Cho'gath. In bot games I've been mainly running him top lane, following various builds I've seen online.

Don't worry about picking/counter picking. Just play who you're best at that can deal with the guy you're laning against best.

Jungle ganking is basically ward the river while laning when someone isn't visible on the map. This is 90% of the time true if they have a jungler(someone running smite as a summoner would be the easiest way to tell), and 90% of the time false when they don't.

Baron is a game-sense decision that will come to you as you play more. Generally the best time is when you have 2 dps + tank still up and you've aced the enemy team.

If you fuck up, you fuck up. Ignore the jabs and focus on playing better next game.

If you plan on playing Cho, then play Cho. Have a backup option in the rare case Cho gets banned/picked before you can.

I thought they put a cap on elo difference if you are duo queueing.

I don't see how that's possible in any way that isn't a benefit. Riot wouldn't literally not allow you to duo with a friend. If they capped the difference such that they only play 1500 ELO for MMR, then he still have better teammates. If it's such that they're matchmade against 1200 players then it's even easier to carry.

To be fair you hadn't responded yet.

The people who pick champs just because they are a counterpick with out actually understanding why they are a counterpick are annoying. Had a game where our mid picked Kass because some website said that it was a counter to Brand. Kass got stomped and then spent the whole game talking about how the site was wrong and that he can't do anything.

scy

I didn't see his edit since I had that pulled up for awhile. I was going to edit in the bit on "beaten" but forgot and instead just responded to Zerokku.

I'm just an asshole.

The people who pick champs just because they are a counterpick with out actually understanding why they are a counterpick are annoying. Had a game where our mid picked Kass because some website said that it was a counter to Brand. Kass got stomped and then spent the whole game talking about how the site was wrong and that he can't do anything.

Yeah, counterpicks are because a kit works well against their kit. You still need to understand how to play it. And you have to take into account that many people know their champ's counterpicks and have some idea of how to play it. Just playing a counter means nothing if you don't know what you're doing.

There's no hard counters in this game. You will never win a matchup by simple fact that you picked X against Y.

mercviper

You will never win a matchup by simple fact that you picked X against Y.

Not sure if I can completely agree with this if you're talking about just the lane and no jungle help.

Anyway, the real reason I responded is to ask you if I should buy Waifu Emblem.

scy

Not sure if I can completely agree with this if you're talking about just the lane and no jungle help.

I can't think of any counter-pick that cannot be outplayed (or any counter-pick that cannot be played poorly, however we want to look at it) :x

I probably should've put in more details: You'll never win a lane (with no outside influence) simply because you picked X into Y. You still have to execute it. There's certain counters that are easier to execute, yes, but you still have to actually do it.

A counter-pick means you have an inherent advantage, not a guaranteed win.

Anyway, the real reason I responded is to ask you if I should buy Waifu Emblem.

You should, if only so all of us are too busy with waifus instead of LoL.

mercviper

I can't think of any counter-pick that cannot be outplayed (or any counter-pick that cannot be played poorly, however we want to look at it) :x

I probably should've put in more details: You'll never win a lane (with no outside influence) simply because you picked X into Y. You still have to execute it. There's certain counters that are easier to execute, yes, but you still have to actually do it.

A counter-pick means you have an inherent advantage, not a guaranteed win.

Just certain matchups I can think of as Annie that I don't even want to touch. e.g. LeBlanc/Cassiopeia/6+ Kassadin. To counterplay those I think they'd have to use all their spells farming and only autoattack me. :p

scy

Just certain matchups I can think of as Annie that I don't even want to touch. e.g. LeBlanc/Cassiopeia/6+ Kassadin. To counterplay those I think they'd have to use all their spells farming and only autoattack me. :p

I was going to edit in some guesses as to which Annie match-ups they were :x Only two I could think of were LeBlanc and Kassadin lol

Edit: And, yes, you basically have to hope LeBlanc and Kassadin silence is down AND your Flash is up (and they don't know) AND you can single rotation burst them AND you can BEATEN BY A LITTLE GIRL taunt them.

Who am I kidding, that last one is a given.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm so bad at kiting, I think I'm gonna stop playing Caitlyn, I just suck with her if I don't get peels. I'll just play Graves in Ranked, even if I win with Cait I just can't manage her painfully bad midgame.

My fantasy team:

iDUskUK1DTUyP.png

Would probably make completely different picks if I could choose korean players.

garath

Have you tried Eve or Singed against Teemo? Youre not hitting 6 without going home twice.

Teemo early is going to stomp any melee char. Especially one without a ranged ability to farm with. Darius and Singed are good examples.

But if you don't let him snowball, and avoid taking too much harass, you can start stomping the little yordle later.

That said, anyone can beat anyone else if they are good enough. I would always rather play a champ I am good with than a "counter pick". I've played Darius against Teemo before and won because I'm pretty good at Darius and I know his weaknesses and what I would do against a big early damage ranged champ. It's not easy, but I'd be better off with that than some champ that I'm completely unfamiliar with.

kayos90

I didn't see his edit since I had that pulled up for awhile. I was going to edit in the bit on "beaten" but forgot and instead just responded to Zerokku.

I'm just an asshole.

Nah dude. I was never implying that you were an asshole. Just saying that there was no need to reiterate since I have yet to respond. I know I misunderstand things sometimes so I'm glad that you felt the need to clarify. Thanks.

I don't see how that's possible in any way that isn't a benefit. Riot wouldn't literally not allow you to duo with a friend. If they capped the difference such that they only play 1500 ELO for MMR, then he still have better teammates. If it's such that they're matchmade against 1200 players then it's even easier to carry.

Well, I'm trying to rationalize so don't bit my head off but I think it's because they didn't want lower ELO players playing in something above them and causing a lost game regardless of MMR. I mean... if they don't have that cap then great but iirc that's what I heard last year. Who knows.

No need to reiterate unless I post and I still don't get it.

scy

Have you tried Eve or Singed against Teemo? Youre not hitting 6 without going home twice.

Singed vs Teemo is early aggression. If you're going back, you're taking free harass rather than pressuring him. Brush juke when you cs and punish out of position with a flip and chase; he's far too squishy to actually try and orbwalk the pursuit. After 6, you just keep track of the shrooms and proxy farm if you have to.

Eve doesn't care about what happens in lane :x Lose lane? Win every other lane. Win lane? Win every other lane. Neutral lane? Win every other lane. Win every lane? Win every lane.

Nah dude. I was never implying that you were an asshole.

Didn't say you did. It's a joke about myself.

Just saying that there was no need to reiterate since I have yet to respond.

Here's the thing, is it reiterating if I didn't even know someone else said it? I mean, I guess so (and I should've gotten that Edit: beaten in there, I guess) but I just didn't check to see if merc had responded at that point.

mercviper

Nah dude. I was never implying that you were an asshole. Just saying that there was no need to reiterate since I have yet to respond. I know I misunderstand things sometimes so I'm glad that you felt the need to clarify. Thanks.

Well, I'm trying to rationalize so don't bit my head off but I think it's because they didn't want lower ELO players playing in something above them and causing a lost game regardless of MMR. I mean... if they don't have that cap then great but iirc that's what I heard last year. Who knows.

No need to reiterate unless I post and I still don't get it.

He didn't read my edit so he didn't think he was reiterating.

Sounds plausible regarding the cap. But I think it's just as unfair to put someone 600 ELO higher in a game they shouldn't be in.

Edit: quick google search doesnt mention a cap anywhere

zkylon

zkylewd
I also shouldn't play top lane! How did I get so bad at this game lol?

Simple things to not get harassed: buy wards, call your mias, don't feed (this sometimes can't be helped but if you're losing, buy defensive items, just let your tower go down, ask for help, and if not, c'est la vie), try to be competitive on CS and overall play safe.

Also you're gonna to eventually fuck up and feed and people are tell you they hope you die, that's inevitable, so learn not to care about it, and just focus on learning and having fun. Some people have mental issues and can't understand a game's a game, so just ignore them.

On counterjungling, counterpicking, counterganking counterpushing and counterwhatever, those things are more high level stuff that you don't care about right now. Just learn how to play with your favorite champions and focus on having fun and just slowly learn that stuff. It's a lot to swallow right away.

kayos90

He didn't read my edit so he didn't think he was reiterating.

Sounds plausible regarding the cap. But I think it's just as unfair to put someone 600 ELO higher in a game they shouldn't be in.

edit: quick google search doesnt mention a cap anywhere

Yes. I know he was thinking he wasn't reiterating. That's why I said clarify in the other post.

I definitely agree. Honestly, I don't know if what I said was real or not. Unless someone has a post verifying this or a test, idk. lol

EDIT: kk.

scy

Anyway, as far as I'm aware, the duo queue formula is just (Elo1 + Elo2 + 100) / 2 with no upper or lower bound. This does mean that, yes, a 2000 Elo queuing with a 1000 Elo means that the total is around the 1550 mark.

But it is worth noting that the system is weighted so that it errs on the side of the higher Elo player. Also, you're more likely to go against another duo queue.

Edit: These edits from me + new posts from merc (or the other way) are really just restating each other. So bad at this posting thing ;_;

This last page is so confusing. o_O

It totally is.

garath

Just go for it. I never played any bot matches when I started, I just jumped straight in and started sucking. I built 2 boots for goodness sakes.

Just ignore people that are rude (they're low ELO smurfs that think they walk on water because they know what CS is) and play the game. Learn as much as you can and don't get frustrated. By the time you get up in the 20s of levels you'll feel pretty good about it all.

Blitzzz

are any of you guys in the same league? wondering if I should finally pop into the gaf channel and add you guys before finishing up my placements (2-2 in preseason and went on vacation)

kayos90

K this is my lineup. My first time doing Fantasy anything so I"m not sure how this works but w/e.

ADC - imaqtpie
Support - Edward
Top - Voyboy
Middle - Shushei
Jungle - Diamondprox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom