• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

The idea is not to play a champ for the first time in ranked....... Would you want to play with a teammate who is trying a champ for the first time in ranked??

Play it in normals.

BTW, this was not Riot. This was a huge campaign of players asking for it.

I play all my champions in ranked first, because normals are a joke and don't convey the same atmosphere

not really a big issue, one time I played a champion for the first time with GAF and they got mad at me, so I'm not even supposed to play in normals.

Boken

Banned
I play all my champions in ranked first, because normals are a joke and don't convey the same atmosphere

not really a big issue, one time I played a champion for the first time with GAF and they got mad at me, so I'm not even supposed to play in normals.

thats what ARAM is for neki, god.

scy

Full premades in general convey a similar atmosphere. And then the high MMR Normals are fairly serious, until you get the give-no-fucks premade
that still wins

Bots obviously.

If it's an older champion, at least have some kind of idea about the skillset and/or build. That's my only real concern. The whole, "First time playing this champion so I built derp and didn't know what these skills do" kind of thing is a little ... eh?

But then, we get things like "Wait, Morgana shield only blocks magic damage?" and we laugh and never let it die.

Edit: Quinn stuff:

No naked midriff. On the level of covered she runs about an Iron Solai Leona level of clothed-ness. No plate armor though. Or very little at least.

I just realized that the least covered released character I've worked on has been Skarner..

..I don't know what that means but there you have it.

Oh jeeze, asking the artist about mechanical flavor, this will end well..

That said, I find her auto attacks EXTREMELY satisfying. Some of that is animations and VFX, other parts of it are sound, crisp and snappy, and the other part, the novel part, is the special sauce that's a cornerstone of her auto attacks.

I'd rate her a 10 but that's me also being terrible at this game and squealing with joy when I effectively last hit one minion out of fifty.

Full premades in general convey a similar atmosphere. And then the high MMR Normals are fairly serious, until you get the give-no-fucks premade
that still wins

Bots obviously.

If it's an older champion, at least have some kind of idea about the skillset and/or build. That's my only real concern. The whole, "First time playing this champion so I built derp and didn't know what these skills do" kind of thing is a little ... eh?

But then, we get things like "Wait, Morgana shield only blocks magic damage?" and we laugh and never let it die.

So sad. Kiunch can't even defend himself.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I think we'll know if you stop posting.

NIi3wMZ.png

scy

why are they teasing quinn that much? just show her.

I think they're going with this for a release schedule:

Week 0: Champ release.
Week 1: Nothing.
Week 2: Tease new champion.
Week 3: Unveil new champion / Champ on the PBE.
Week 4: Champ release.

So basically a week of nothing, a week of teasers, a week with the champ on the PBE, and then release.

Also, more teasing == greater hype == more first week purchases == Fuck, 7800 IP? Better use RP == $$$ == Fuck Teemo.

Also, more teasing == greater hype == more first week purchases == Fuck, 7800 IP? Better use RP == $$$ == Fuck Teemo.

seems like the first one they did this. at least as long as i can remember. thresh was on PBE for a good while too. man the wait for a new ADC is loooong.

garath

I think they're going with this for a release schedule:

Week 0: Champ release.
Week 1: Nothing.
Week 2: Tease new champion.
Week 3: Unveil new champion / Champ on the PBE.
Week 4: Champ release.

So basically a week of nothing, a week of teasers, a week with the champ on the PBE, and then release.

I'll buy her if she's halfway decent. I'll buy the bundle if the second skin is good to boot.

I really want another ADC I enjoy.

Ferrio

Banned

I don't mind people playing champs their new with, I do mind if they've never played them before (ie don't even understand the mechanics of their skills). Go into a bot game, get a feel for the skills first, auto attack ranges/speed etc.

Usually I just make a custom 1v5 game and go romping around with the champion.

zkylon

zkylewd

What you're saying is just dumb, there's elo in normals too and people are just as serious and rage just as much, but at least you're not toying with everyone's hard earned LP that way.

If you wanna try a champ use bots, normals or dumbinion. Don't be part of the problem.

Edit: Quinn stuff:
Man, so much tease, all of it super awesome. OUT WITH IT ALREADY

I think we'll know if you stop posting.

NIi3wMZ.png
Shit scy, we're well past saving.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
What you're saying is just dumb, there's elo in normals too and people are just as serious and rage just as much, but at least you're not toying with everyone's hard earned LP that way.
Imma disagree.

I would care more about people picking free week champs in ranked if most of them weren't already so bad with the champions they regularly play. Really, picking champions you own isn't a big deal in most situations.

I don't own Xin Zhao. I've played him once yesterday. I could easily pick him in ranked and win regularly.

I JUST HAD MY GREATEST GAME EVER.

Out of the thousands I've played, this is now my best of them all. We were 2-10 at eight minutes. Middle inhib down at 20. We had no towers AT ALL by 35 minutes. My Tresh was bad, gave Trist three kills early. I was 2-1-2 for a long, long time. No wards on the map.

We were FUCKED. On top of that, Lux was 1-6 early, feeding Morde, the one guy who could pose a giant threat to me in team fights.

What did I do?

I WENT BEASTMODE. I got a triple kill off a cocky dragon rush by the enemy team, bought wards, was polite as hell to everyone despite them feeding, and just played as safe as possible.

We caught them a few more times, getting baron twice in a row with two of our inhibs down.

The last part of the game was an epic base race. Diana got caught by Trist bot while we were all retreating to defend their last desperate push against our nexus. I flashed over the wall and Q-R-ignited her for the kill, just barely getting her with the last tick of my ignite.

At that point, we had three in the base defending against a four man push with no inhibs and just the nexus turrets. I had to make the call. I picked up my giant balls, threw them over my shoulder, and went for the win.

Pushed the bot lane in entirely. Their Taric that died during their last rush respawned and came right at me, stunned, exhausted, wasted lots of time. But I got him and continued, taking the middle inhib.

Then when I was at 50%, Trist SOLD HER ORIGINAL BOOTS, bought new boots, AND enchanted them with homeguard just to get to me in time to stop me. She jumped right on me, ulted me into both nexus turrets, and we dueled. I won by maybe two auto-attacks since I was fed to hell and had warmogs. The push on our base failed when Diana got up and aced their team. Lux met me in their base at this point.

Both turrets fell, and right as the rest of the team was getting up, their nexus fell.

I carried the FUCK out of this ranked game. Lux went legendary by the end, but she was 1-6 at one point.

Also, if someone wants to go Diana top and takes heal and ignite, just save yourself the trouble and dodge. JESUS.

lolgravesgreatestgame_zps662680ef.png

zkylon

zkylewd
Imma disagree.

I would care more about people picking free week champs in ranked if most of them weren't already so bad with the champions they regularly play. Really, picking champions you own isn't a big deal in most situations.

I don't own Xin Zhao. I've played him once yesterday. I could easily pick him in ranked and win regularly.
C'mon dude, who do you think you are? I bought Anivia, got fed as fuck the first two times I played her and would still not run her ranked. You know what happened? On my third match someone who actually knew what he was doing handed my ass to me. A few more matches with Anivia and now I'm getting fed regularly just because I know her strengths and weaknesses and all those little nuances and quirks you learn after you play a champion for extended periods of time. I finally picked her on ranked the other day because the situation was right and did pretty great.

It's handicapping your team for no other reason that because you think you're too good for normals. It's also shitting on your team comp since you're picking a champion only because you want to try him, not because it's the best suit for your team strategy.

bought wards, was polite as hell to everyone despite them feeding, and just played as safe as possible.
You're making all of us proud bro.

Macattk15

I JUST HAD MY GREATEST GAME EVER.

Out of the thousands I've played, this is now my best of them all. We were 2-10 at eight minutes. Middle inhib down at 20. We had no towers AT ALL by 35 minutes. My Tresh was bad, gave Trist three kills early. I was 2-1-2 for a long, long time. No wards on the map.

We were FUCKED. On top of that, Lux was 1-6 early, feeding Morde, the one guy who could pose a giant threat to me in team fights.

What did I do?

I WENT BEASTMODE. I got a triple kill off a cocky dragon rush by the enemy team, bought wards, was polite as hell to everyone despite them feeding, and just played as safe as possible.

We caught them a few more times, getting baron twice in a row with two of our inhibs down.

The last part of the game was an epic base race. Diana got caught by Trist bot while we were all retreating to defend their last desperate push against our nexus. I flashed over the wall and Q-R-ignited her for the kill, just barely getting her with the last tick of my ignite.

At that point, we had three in the base defending against a four man push with no inhibs and just the nexus turrets. I had to make the call. I picked up my giant balls, threw them over my shoulder, and went for the win.

Pushed the bot lane in entirely. Their Taric that died during their last rush respawned and came right at me, stunned, exhausted, wasted lots of time. But I got him and continued, taking the middle inhib.

Then when I was at 50%, Trist SOLD HER ORIGINAL BOOTS, bought new boots, AND enchanted them with homeguard just to get to me in time to stop me. She jumped right on me, ulted me into both nexus turrets, and we dueled. I won by maybe two auto-attacks since I was fed to hell and had warmogs. The push on our base failed when Diana got up and aced their team. Lux met me in their base at this point.

Both turrets fell, and right as the rest of the team was getting up, their nexus fell.

I carried the FUCK out of this ranked game. Lux went legendary by the end, but she was 1-6 at one point.

Also, if someone wants to go Diana top and takes heal and ignite, just save yourself the trouble and dodge. JESUS.

lolgravesgreatestgame_zps662680ef.png

So Lux obtained 15 kills without dying a single time after starting 1-6? I'd say she turned the game around as well and that the opposing team was garbage but was just fed early on by even worse people.

dimb

C'mon dude, who do you think you are?
Someone who can play no skill FotM junglers if I have to. What is even the point of your anecdotal story? Owning a champion doesn't ensure skill or familiarity.
It's handicapping your team for no other reason that because you think you're too good for normals. It's also shitting on your team comp since you're picking a champion only because you want to try him, not because it's the best suit for your team strategy.
Could it not be that it fits the team comp best but you haven't bought the champion yet? There are no absolutes. In the ranked game I played with Neki that I just posted in here the Shen had no idea what he was doing or what to build. Dude has a god damn Tiamat and we won because we had a great comp for team fights that chained multiple types of CC.

zkylon

zkylewd
Someone who can play no skill FotM junglers if I have to. What is even the point of your anecdotal story? Owning a champion doesn't ensure skill or familiarity.
My point is countering your own, owning a champion doesn't ensure skill or familiarity, sure, (nothing does) but not owning him ensures otherwise.

Also you're now talking about easy champions, so basically it's not about free champs anymore, it's about no skill champs, which I wouldn't say is most situations.

At best you're so good at the game and the champion is so easy you can do well with literally zero experience but really that's a dumb way to see the game.

Could it not be that it fits the team comp best but you haven't bought the champion yet? There are no absolutes. In the ranked game I played with Neki that I just posted in here the Shen had no idea what he was doing or what to build. Dude has a god damn Tiamat and we won because we had a great comp for team fights that chained multiple types of CC.
You would've done better if the guy knew what the hell he was doing and, more importantly, it would've saved you much grief.

dimb

I just see a more open roster facilitating better picks for your team and offering more opportunities to trade. No champions in League are hard enough that being new to them is world ending. There are champions I own I am terrible with. There are champions I don't own that I am good with.
You would've done better if the guy knew what the hell he was doing and, more importantly, it would've saved you much grief.
No. It was a fun game and it's okay if people don't understand everything about the champion they play. Also I went 7/0/17, can't do better than that.
Yes, I could have.

League Fantasy Draft stuff is calculated for the first week. If you are planning to continue on it you have to draft a new team every week. I have no idea who half of these people are.

zkylon

zkylewd
I just see a more open roster facilitating better picks for your team and offering more opportunities to trade. No champions in League are hard enough that being new to them is world ending. There are champions I own I am terrible with. There are champions I don't own that I am good with.
There's no champion that doesn't benefit from experience. Even a single match is a pretty big boon to knowing the feel of autoattack animations, mana and cooldown management, knowing when you're gonna get blown up in a second and when you can take on three guys on your own, etc.

It's not world ending and you can do well without it, no one's saying otherwise?, just don't see the point of going into ranked, where people are gambling their rankings, with a handicap if you already have plenty of other places where to try new champions out. I used to try new champions against bots and I've moved on to normals because of what you said, I'm good enough to be able to play a champion for the first time against real people in normals and do alright.

I just don't want to add more venom to ranked, that's all.

League Fantasy Draft stuff is calculated for the first week. If you are planning to continue on it you have to draft a new team every week. I have no idea who half of these people are.
Seems like either I'm too dumb for that site or something's not working, so w/e :/

Agkel

good god, can they please take thresh off the list of free champs!!! Bunch of derps picking him up just feeding the other team forcing me to buy wards for lanes and late game because they refuse to even after telling them constantly for 15 min +!!!!. It pisses me to no fucking end!

I may just take this week off, seriously!

I'm really new to this game and so far the community makes this game 10x harder for me then usual. I've been playing with a friend who's easing me into it and I'm doing fine with his guidance. So I finally thought I was good enough and took on a whole team of bots by myself and other bots and once again did well.

So then I finally thought I could go online... which maybe wasn't a good idea. Ppl in the chat are telling me to go top, asking if "I'm bot," and telling me to signal more. I didn't know what any of this meant so I was just playing and hoping we won. I'm not sure what else happened because I quit out of embarrassment of my noobness and the insults throughout the game (I didn't know how to use chat so i couldn't even talk back).

So I learned 2 lessons in this experience.
1) I'm not EVER playing online except with a friend
2) The beginner difficulty is my best friend

Hopefully I'll get this and be able to enjoy it fully, but for now I'm sticking with my friends.

zkylon

zkylewd
my ign is soda cope, thx for asking.
Hah, what makes you think he means you?

That's kind of admission of guilt if you ask me lol

I thought he meant me :p

I'm really new to this game and so far the community makes this game 10x harder for me then usual. I've been playing with a friend who's easing me into it and I'm doing fine with his guidance. So I finally thought I was good enough and took on a whole team of bots by myself and other bots and once again did well.

So then I finally thought I could go online... which maybe wasn't a good idea. Ppl in the chat are telling me to go top, asking if "I'm bot," and telling me to signal more. I didn't know what any of this meant so I was just playing and hoping we won. I'm not sure what else happened because I quit out of embarrassment of my noobness and the insults throughout the game (I didn't know how to use chat so i couldn't even talk back).

Hopefully I'll get this and be able to enjoy it fully, but for now I'm sticking with my friends.
Don't be so easily discouraged, we're all terrible on our first matches. Focus on not dying and you're already on the right path.

garath

That initial learning curve is pretty tough. Generally people will take "lanes" and that's where they will play the beginning of the game. You have top, mid and bottom (bot). In low level games, typically you'll see 2 people top lane and 2 people bot lane and one mid. Later in levels it will be a solo top and one person will be designated jungler. He will kill the neutral camps for money and experience and roam to help the lanes.

To chat just hit enter and start typing.

This page sheds a little more light on the general flow of the game and terminology, etc.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/learn/new_user_guide

There's a lot of good info on the main league of legends page under game info->gameplay as well.

dimb

good god, can they please take thresh off the list of free champs!!! Bunch of derps picking him up just feeding the other team forcing me to buy wards for lanes and late game because they refuse to even after telling them constantly for 15 min +!!!!. It pisses me to no fucking end!

I may just take this week off, seriously!
I can't wait for that to be me.

mercviper

Yeah I'm probably gonna drop it because once a week is too much maintenance for me.

mercviper

Is it really that much maintenance? Maybe I just don't understand how Fantasy league works... Don't you just make up a team that you think will be good?

Your team gets reset every week. I just don't want to log in every week, re-evaluate the team costs, and then pick and choose between who I consider overcosted/undercosted this time around. When you give me so many options I either do it in 2 seconds or I agonize over it for an hour plus. The only times I do it in 2 seconds are when I don't give a shit, and I don't feel like agonizing over fantasy choices, so I'm just gonna drop it altogether.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
You team gets reset every week. I just don't want to log in every week, re-evaluate the team costs, and then pick and choose between who I consider overcosted/undercosted this time around. When you give me so many options I either do it in 2 seconds or I agonize over it for an hour plus. The only times I do it in 2 seconds are when I don't give a shit, and I don't feel like agonizing over fantasy choices, so I'm just gonna drop it altogether.

Ah. That's what you mean. I can understand that.

mercviper

Nah. Other people aren't involved so I'm dropping it. Part of the fun is to talk about it with people and be active about the activity. If they're dropping it, I see no incentive to stay.

I'd just rather spend the time gaining support with waifus.

In league related discussion, I haven't even seen Quinn's skills and I already want her day one. I think their new model is working pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom