• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yea, just play whatever then. At that level, there are more things that impact the outcome of the game then the meta.

If I just do top Jax no matter what, other than pissing people off, it'd hurt my gold accumulation depending upon who is up there too?

EXGN

If I just do top Jax no matter what, other than pissing people off, it'd hurt my gold accumulation depending upon who is up there too?

That's only assuming you and whoever you're up top with can kill every single minion. When you're that low a level, last hitting is still something many haven't grasped the concept of yet (from my experience).

So no, having two people top isn't optimal, but if you aren't playing at top form, then it doesn't really matter anyways. In fact, at low level, I would even say the 2v1 lane has a bigger advantage. I still run in to level 30s that can't handle 2v1s.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Only if you're top notch at CSing, which I doubt you are. Your exp will take a hit for sure though.

Either way, I'd potentially be weaker than I should at X point in the game and get frustrated at the role?

Seems like being flexible is the best option for the team and learning roles.

Just too much to learn at once and divided.

scy

Generally speaking, low level games will be two top so you just kind of deal with the fact that you have a lane partner that is constantly trying to steal your kills. Likewise, your opponent will also have this problem so you're both going to be in an equally awful position. Just think of it as an extra challenge for getting last hits!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Generally speaking, low level games will be two top so you just kind of deal with the fact that you have a lane partner that is constantly trying to steal your kills. Likewise, your opponent will also have this problem so you're both going to be in an equally awful position. Just think of it as an extra challenge for getting last hits!
haha.

You played diablo 3 right? I think I asked some questions there. I'm just used to the type of learning where you focus on one class and spec for as long as you want and don't have any unintended handicaps or uneven nerfs.

Ferrio

Banned
Either way, I'd potentially be weaker than I should at X point in the game and get frustrated at the role?

Seems like being flexible is the best option for the team and learning roles.

Just too much to learn at once and divided.

Well when it's a 2v1 it becomes a kill lane, if you can get some early game kills then it should even out. If you let it go too long without getting kills you'll be out leveled/out cs'ed by both the single top and enemy jungler.

Blizzard

Banned
haha.

You played diablo 3 right? I think I asked some questions there. I'm just used to the type of learning where you focus on one class and spec for as long as you want and don't have any unintended handicaps or uneven nerfs.
Since LoL is a team game and there are usually 4 (or all 5) roles in the game, you pretty much can't do that. You can ask nicely and get top in most of your games, maybe -- but consider that you might run into someone else in the same situation you are, who is trying to practice 100% top games. Since there is no option to queue by role, you may want to try to learn maybe two roles at once instead of one.

Core Zero

Us new players should really group up, I'm level 12.

As for duo lane gold, it probably doesn't hurt to build a gold per 10 item (or 2) for a buffer. I usually do if my lane partner is good and doesn't dive the enemy team and die at level 1. Of course, I'm inclined to the support role anyways, but I'd say in half my games at least, no one is following the meta to any real degree. I've seen plenty of APs call bot or top.

scy

haha.

You played diablo 3 right? I think I asked some questions there.

Yeah, I lived in the Diablo 3 thread for awhile. Haven't been around much recently, however.

I'm just used to the type of learning where you focus on one class and spec for as long as you want and don't have any unintended handicaps or uneven nerfs.

The problem with low level League is that games will basically be "five people split between three locations." As you gain levels, it'll become five split between four locations (gaining a Jungler) and then eventually five split between all five roles (an actual Support player). So the journey to 30 will be through a lot of different sorts of metas that you have to adapt to.

However, basic lane mechanics (how to last hit, how to trade, when to push when to not, etc.) are still the same. You can always work on the "basics" of how to play the game, regardless of how the lane dynamic itself works out.

Alternatively, you can play Dominion and learn how to play a champion without really worrying so much about lane roles. It's not quite the same due to a lot of different underlying things (starting at level 3, better passive gold gain) but it'll at least let you learn how to control champions.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Since LoL is a team game and there are usually 4 (or all 5) roles in the game, you pretty much can't do that. You can ask nicely and get top in most of your games, maybe -- but consider that you might run into someone else in the same situation you are, who is trying to practice 100% top games. Since there is no option to queue by role, you may want to try to learn maybe two roles at once instead of one.
I need to gather this info up.

Can someone edit this with all the potential roles these champs can do and the lane?

Annie-
Ashe- ADC(bot)
Jax- Bruiser(top)
Alistar-Tank(top)
Cho-Gath-
Dr. Mundo-
Janna-Support(bot)
Katarina-
Miss Fortune-ADC(bot)
Skarner- Jungler
Vayne- ADC(bot)
Viktor-
Ziggs-

inky

Alistair is better played jungle/support.
Cho Gath is versatile, he could go top, jungle or even mid (but this one is less common).
Mundo jungle or top.
Katarina mid or top sometimes.
Viktor and Ziggs go mid.

Why not just make a list of new players and low level smurfs so you can buddy each other.

And they can use my referral code so I can get a new rune page =D

scy

Can someone edit this with all the potential roles these champs can do and the lane?

Annie - Mid
Ashe - ADC
Jax - Bruiser
Alistar - Jungler, Support
Cho-Gath - Jungler, Top, Mid
Dr. Mundo - Jungler, Top
Janna - Support
Katarina - Mid
Miss Fortune - ADC
Skarner - Jungler
Vayne - ADC
Viktor - Mid
Ziggs - Mid

Ken

Annie-
Ashe- ADC(bot)
Jax- Bruiser(top)
Alistar-Tank(top)
Cho-Gath-
Dr. Mundo-
Janna-Support(bot)
Katarina-
Miss Fortune-ADC(bot)
Skarner- Jungler
Vayne- ADC(bot)
Viktor-
Ziggs-

Annie - AP mid.
Ashe - ADC bot
Jax - Bruiser top, bruiser jungler
Alistar - Support bot, support jungler
Cho Gath - Tanky top, AP mid, jungler
Dr. Mundo - Tanky jungler
Janna - Support bot
Katarina - AP mid, AP top
Miss Fortune - ADC bot
Skarner - Jungler
Vayne - ADC bot
Viktor - AP mid
Ziggs - AP mid

zkylon

zkylewd

Annie-
Ashe- ADC(bot)
Jax- Bruiser(top)
Alistar-Tank(top)
Cho-Gath-
Dr. Mundo-
Janna-Support(bot)
Katarina-
Miss Fortune-ADC(bot)
Skarner- Jungler
Vayne- ADC(bot)
Viktor-
Ziggs-

Annie- AP mid
Ashe- ADC(bot)
Jax- Bruiser(top)
Alistar-Support, Jungler
Cho-Gath- tanky AP mid, tank top, jungler
Dr. Mundo- jungler, tanky top but mostly jungle
Janna-Support(bot), AP mid, but you won't see her often
Katarina- assassin AP mid
Miss Fortune-ADC(bot)
Skarner- Jungler
Vayne- ADC(bot)
Viktor- AP mid
Ziggs- AP mid

edit: FUCK

scy

tho, what day does free champs change out? lolz.

Tonight is the last night for this rotation.

Edit: New Free Week:

Galio - Mid
Riven - Top
Morgana - Mid
Blitzcrank - Support, AlwaysFuckingBanned
Singed - Top
Sivir - ADC
Ashe - ADC
Olaf - Top, Jungler
Talon - Don't.
Lulu - Support

zkylon

zkylewd

Edit: New Free Week:

Galio - Mid
Riven - Top
Morgana - Mid
Blitzcrank - Support, AlwaysFuckingBanned
Singed - Top
Sivir - ADC
Ashe - ADC
Olaf - Top, Jungler
Talon - Don't.
Lulu - Support
Talon - zky's bane T_T

edit: Riven too lol

Galio plays AP Top fine too.

Singed sort of works as jungler. Okay clear times but the ganks will force flashes and he can avoid getting counterjungled.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
thanks a lot bruhs, this cheat sheet will help a lot.

tho, what day does free champs change out? lolz.
Today or tommorow.
Lulu - Support
We'll see about that.
Talon - Don't.
Oh, I can finally post this and it'll be relevant.
6dz1w.jpg

scy

Talon - zky's bane T_T

edit: Riven too lol

Pft, no recognition for OP AP Janna, the queen of 2v1s.

Edit: NM, Zyk got it covered.

I didn't want to get into off-role matchups that work (e.g., Mid Riven, Top Galio, Mid Janna, etc.). Just sticking with the general roles you see for them.

We'll see about that.

Lulu top is a blight.

Oh, I can finally post this and it'll be relevant.

Pretty much.

In all seriousness, Talon works in mid lane as an anti-caster Assassin. He just lacks the items in the game to really make him shine long term for the game so he's really just an anti-laning phase anti-caster assassin.

inky

Level 5 jax ganks too scary.. against Cho almost lvl 10 =S

Reminds me of a recent game I had as jungle Alistar. After being invaded early and losing blue, the top lane was a Jarvan vs Jayce (my teammate, who was losing hard) and he was about to recall at 25% health when I show up around level 8. Didn't ping or anything, just got there to cover the lane and stop it from being pushed, then Jayce jumps out of the brush to hit Jarvan with the mace thingy and gets insta-killed thinking I was there to gank or something. Even Jarvan goes in all chat: "thanks for giving him the confidence to jump back in, Ali".

How the fuck do people not realize they are at a disadvantage, even in a 2v1 situation?

FoxSpirit

Pffft, I am Level 25 and have 20 normal wins. Yep, yep.
As the only hardcore bot player, here are my thoughts/suggestions:
*)Bot games are better than their reputation. The goal is not to win, it's to completely dominate. Bots give you a ton of oportunities practicing how to secure a kill. If you don't get good farm vs bots, you also need to practise this more.
*)Easy bot games are great for trying out new chars. No matter how bad, you can't loose it for the team. Some ranked players say that's what normal is for, I disagree.
*)Medium bot games are unfair. I am not certain of the income mechanics but basically, if your teams go even you will loose by minute 30. Unlees constantly killed bots in medium will just outitemise you hard and then win from pure damage and resiliance.
There are virtually no comebacks here unless your team suddenly shows it's really ace in defense.
*)Bot teamwork is actually decent and often better than that of low level players. I am not kidding.
*)Bot games don't require wards since bots use no brush. This leads to bad warding habits in normals.
*)Bots are terrible at zoning defense. Their offense is okay for the most but they do take damage like they want it.

You can learn a lot of stuff in bot games if you set your goals right.

Though that one match I had recently, my normal win no 20... couldn't have had that against bots. Will post a report and replay this eve. All I will say is, this match is almost instructional. Never give up, never surrender ;-)

Kenai

Pffft, I am Level 25 and have 20 normal wins. Yep, yep.
As the only hardcore bot player, here are my thoughts/suggestions:
*)Bot games are better than their reputation. The goal is not to win, it's to completely dominate. Bots give you a ton of opportunities practicing how to secure a kill. If you don't get good farm vs bots, you also need to practise this more.
*)Easy bot games are great for trying out new chars. No matter how bad, you can't loose it for the team. Some ranked players say that's what normal is for, I disagree.
*)Medium bot games are unfair. I am not certain of the income mechanics but basically, if your teams go even you will loose by minute 30. Unlees constantly killed bots in medium will just outitemise you hard and then win from pure damage and resiliance.
There are virtually no comebacks here unless your team suddenly shows it's really ace in defense.
*)Bot teamwork is actually decent and often better than that of low level players. I am not kidding.
*)Bot games don't require wards since bots use no brush. This leads to bad warding habits in normals.
*)Bots are terrible at zoning defense. Their offense is okay for the most but they do take damage like they want it.

You can learn a lot of stuff in bot games if you set your goals right.

Though that one match I had recently, my normal win no 20... couldn't have had that against bots. Will post a report and replay this eve. All I will say is, this match is almost instructional. Never give up, never surrender ;-)

I can agree with this, especially the bolded. The interesting thing about bots is that they have some f'ing fantastic CC chains, but will usually mess up by either completely ignoring your initiator or wasting all CC on them, while a smarter human team would CC/use whatever moves to aim straight to the most dangerous people (the ADC/APC). However, actually seeing a CC chain is pretty damn rare outside of an actual put-together team over vent or mumble. Bots are also quite "aware" of the map, more than anyone should be. You will be beamed/arrowed/bombed/dirged from offscreen way more than you thought possible. I've even had a Blitzcrank bot grab me from the jungle through the trees (which I raged about the rest of the game).

Besides learning 0 about Jungling/jungler protection unless I bothered to be said jungler, the only real "bad habits" I picked up that were exclusive to Bot games vs lowbie normal/ranked queues was pushing too far too quick (bots rarely punish you for this and are not usually subtle about it when they do head for your lane) and feeling completely out of place when I got purple side instead of blue (probably the worst thing about bot only games to me).

Bot games have their place.

Bought Taric. Laned with Graves. Never before have I appreciated Vayne's squishiness. A stun plus around 2-3 autos with graves cut Vayne's health in half. We were mopping bot until enemy decided to keep ganking us... like 4 v 2 ganks which got Kat really fed early on. Still, I'm really glad Graves was good at laning. I don't think he missed much cs.

Heart stopping moment: Veigar instagibs Kat then Vayne gets combo'd to death. Enemy retreats. Teammates chase Pantheon around the jungle. He then ults right into our towerless Nexus and gets it to 20% health before we stopped him. We went all in afterwards, but around the middle of the map Jax and Garen turn at a corner. Oh man the enemy only had one turret nexus left and 2 allies remaining but Jax and Garen decides to do DRAGON. I was so exasperated at them. While my char was still moving I was pointing out that we had an eternity to push to victory already

mobes on morde op

Damn Draven is a mustachioed monster truck. I'm horrible at catching axes and still doing really well with him. I like to max E 1st; the base damage is about as good as any other similar ad carry attack spell and they don't come with up to 40% slow. You're less reliant on catching axes that way. But then if you do, things just get crazy.

Strong and fun with a unique mechanic; yes please.

garath

Damn Draven is a mustachioed monster truck. I'm horrible at catching axes and still doing really well with him. I like to max E 1st; the base damage is about as good as any other similar ad carry attack spell and they don't come with up to 40% slow. You're less reliant on catching axes that way. But then if you do, things just get crazy.

Strong and fun with a unique mechanic; yes please.

I do like that the latest champions they've been releasing have been trying to break the mold a little bit and have a little bit higher learning curve than just Q-W-E-R over a champion.

Decided to play some free Kat last night on my smurf, but someone else instalocked her. Vayne and MF get picked and the only other guy without a champ starts whining and swearing that our team comp sucks. I'm tempted to throw the game by picking Ashe or another carry but decide on Alistar at the last moment.

Whiny guy picks Cho and AFK's at the start. Sidenote: is that banner a new feature (people who swear lose 13% more games)? So it's 4v5.

I buy wards and head bot. Vayne solos top.

The other team has Janna AND Leona (old meta?) supporting. They both ended up building Shurelya's and Locket of the Solari. :lol

Long story short, we managed to win even though their Warwick kept trying to BD. Vayne tells me it's the first time she had an actual support (that's low-level play for you).

I think my smurf has more honor than my main. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom