• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also going to try out ranked for the first time later tonight.

What should I expect?

Prepare to play nothing but jungle and support if you care about team composition.

If you get a jangler, it'll be Yi or someone who never plays jungle but gets forced to play jungle and picks Warwick.

Boken

Banned
nah, i think placement in general is pretty good

youre more likely to queue with other placers, which means your team mates are hopeful, trying, and brave.

basically, theyre real people before bronze/silver/gold depression kills them

Snowman

What should I expect?

Expect to think everyone else is awful and that you'll blame it on shitty teammates when you get placed in bronze.

Hope that you'll realize pretty soon that you're just as bad but you just have a bias when it comes to noticing your own mistakes over other people's.

Then you can start playing ranked to get better and have fun.

brian!

expect to be plat 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subtle

First time ranked? Be prepared to play horribly. Just don't be scared. Yeah, placement matches were nice in the lobby for me since it's everyone's first time.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

What should I expect?

I got placed into Bronze 1 after placements. Now I'm in Gold 5. Don't get discouraged by where you get placed just play to improve and ranked will quickly become your favorite game mode.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I got placed into Bronze 1 after placements.
we are twins.
X2FOQKQ.jpg

Leezard

Duoing is a way to make the game easier if both you and your friend are better than your rating.

If your rating is near your skill level, duoing just makes the game harder.

I agree that duoing makes the game more fun though. I'm often ok with harder games if they are more fun.

Snowman

Duoing is definitely harder, think that can be a good thing though in terms of improving. Helps having someone to laugh with about the stupid mistakes you make and stuff too.

Ferga

Carry me to Plat. Together we can make Rex cry.

Hah.

Another 7 more wins then I'll be plat!
I've said this 10~ times in the past month. It's sad

Duoing is a way to make the game easier if both you and your friend are better than your rating.

If your rating is near your skill level, duoing just makes the game harder.

I agree that duoing makes the game more fun though. I'm often ok with harder games if they are more fun.

And this is pretty true. Met a guy a few weeks back in gold 1. We duoed and won 6 games in a row but then I had to go. I logged in the next day and he was plat 4 and didn't want to duo anymore :'(

Xater

So i tried playing some more League. I played it a couple years ago but didn't touch it since then. basically I forgot everything. There is some stuff I enjoy about it, like not having to worry about denying or buying TPs. Coming from DOTA2 though I still have some issues with the game. So I know how the basic meta of a MOBA works but once you start a game in LoL there is like no indication what hero is good for what. When I play DOTA2 I t least get information like who is a carry, who a support, who has a disable etc.

Ken

Where are you right now?

silva dos

So i tried playing some more League. I played it a couple years ago but didn't touch it since then. basically I forgot everything. There is some stuff I enjoy about it, like not having to worry about denying or buying TPs. Coming from DOTA2 though I still have some issues with the game. So I know how the basic meta of a MOBA works but once you start a game in LoL there is like no indication what hero is good for what. When I play DOTA2 I t least get information like who is a carry, who a support, who has a disable etc.

look at champion attributes (fighter, brawler, assassin, ranged etc). not always accurate but decent enough

Boken

Banned
Yeah, you can have a look at the champion tags which are pretty average at best. They've admitted it and it'll probably move closer to the Dota2 system soon.

Otherwise, during picks, you can click on portraits of all the champions picked by enemy team and friendly team and take a quick look at their tags and their abilities

Outside of pick stage, you can watch spotlights. In the game, all you can do is pay attention, I'm afraid. Or look at the items they're building.

Hah.

Another 7 more wins then I'll be plat!
I've said this 10~ times in the past month. It's sad

And this is pretty true. Met a guy a few weeks back in gold 1. We duoed and won 6 games in a row but then I had to go. I logged in the next day and he was plat 4 and didn't want to duo anymore :'(
Sounds like he carried those 6 duo wins

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Yeah, you can have a look at the champion tags which are pretty average at best. They've admitted it and it'll probably move closer to the Dota2 system soon.

Otherwise, during picks, you can click on portraits of all the champions picked by enemy team and friendly team and take a quick look at their tags and their abilities

Outside of pick stage, you can watch spotlights. In the game, all you can do is pay attention, I'm afraid. Or look at the items they're building.

When will Riot's theft cease? :'(

zkylon

zkylewd
izqlcny25Aocb.png

rofl surrendered at 20

played jungle diana, managed to get one good gank on reginaldo and things were looking up, but tortuga was fucking beast man, dude was getting doubles in bot every two fucking minutes

I'd be mad about the matchmaking if it weren't 7 am and I didn't get to play with some bad ass dudes. too bad I wasn't mid laning, would've been nice to get destroyed by regi himself

but like seriously 1k elo difference damn lol

Inskipp

This comes kinda late, but w/e. Had awesome ARAM's yesterday with EUWGAF. Last game ended on a sour note, but that's a minor stain on a good set of games.

Leezard

This comes kinda late, but w/e. Had awesome ARAM's yesterday with EUWGAF. Last game ended on a sour note, but that's a minor stain on a good set of games.

Yeah, good games. I'm a bit sad that I threw the last game after we controlled essentially all fights. I hoped that we would be able to stay in the game despite that until I realized that Ashe dc:ed as well.
who is in EUWGAF anyway?
Me (Euler in the lol client), Inskipp, Program_IX, Dobkeratops, and 'le bip' (I don't know his GAF name) at least. There are probably a couple of others I forget.

Inskipp

Yeah, good games. I'm a bit sad that I threw the last game after we controlled essentially all fights. I hoped that we would be able to stay in the game despite that until I realized that Ashe dc:ed as well.
I didn't even realize the Ashe dc'd. If that's the case, then there's no use pointing fingers at anyone. The enemy would have sniffed an opportunity to rush one way or another.

Also, iirc le bips gafnick is kSt.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Can't appreciate +20% ASPD when I already get 90% ASPD from BorK+PD. It's not a combo I normally build on ADCs. If I don't get BorK I go Berserker. I couldn't like Merc Treads on ADCs since if I get caught I'm already dead anyway.
1k gold on an item that won't make you do more damage for fifteen movespeed and a passive you don't need and you lose out on 20% attack speed.

having botrk and pd at the same time shouldn't happen until late game anyways. need the attack speed of greaves for mid game.

I actually skip straight to Zeal instead of Berserker if I can afford it. I don't feel that I need a lot of MS early game since it's usually just farming.

As for damage, depends really. As long you can attack without much threat, yeah Berserker trumps Swifties. There are just some cases where the extra MS would have helped you run farther back to position yourself better to keep your DPS on.

scy

How do you appreciate 15 MSPD with PD/SS anyway? Like, I'm not really sure what situation really says, "Hey, Swiftness would work really well here" when your biggest problem with attack kiting/orb walking/whatever terminology will be attack frames.

Berserker's are also really gold efficient and they're the cheapest Tier 2 Boots. 20% ASPD early on (around the timing of your first damage item) is also very nice. Their effect late game (3rd/4th item) is a bit less noticeable, sure, but there's also a reason why "7" item builds are ones that replace the Boots.

Edit: I suppose if it works for you then it works for you but it honestly seems more like a case of "all the upgrades aren't that big of a deal" rather than anything else, y'know?

Edwardo

Can't appreciate +20% ASPD when I already get 90% ASPD from BorK+PD. It's not a combo I normally build on ADCs. If I don't get BorK I go Berserker. I couldn't like Merc Treads on ADCs since if I get caught I'm already dead anyway.

Aren't you losing out on a bunch of damage with that?

Yeah I'm well aware how ASPD affects frames and kiting. It's just that sometimes extra MS lets me be ina better position to start DPSing.

I actually had 2 situations, and somehow I was Cait in ARAM in both cases. The games dragged so long everyone had at least 3000g surplus. They built extremely tanky and always dived straight at me. They were the likes of Olaf, Trundle and Singed. The extra MS helped me run back long enough for allies to soften them and force them to stop their chase and engage other targets.

In game 2, similar situation. They had 1 Vayne and 4 bruisers (Wukong, Voli, Trundle and someone), 6 items for everyone. If I get flipped by Volibear I'm dead. Having a Warwick in our team made picking Swifties over Berserker a no brainer for me specially given their slows.

ASPD definitely helps in kiting too, but the benefit of less attack frames doesnt kick in until you start attacking. Sometimes you just gotta run back and wait for them to blow majority of their CCs before you can start attacking. I had more than enough gold for a Zephyr/PD, but I wasnt happy at how low my MS was in comparison so I sold it back for Swifties again.

I think I need to reiterate thar I dont mean I will replace Berserker with Swifties. I just feel that in certain situations Swifties is a good alternative.

Edwardo

Wasn't there somewhere in the user cp that showed when people quote your posts? I cant find it anymore.

something something league of legends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom