• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseZao

This is one of those parody posts, right?

It's just OG soda cop. I think the problem is just that people play the game for different reasons (and there are different skill levels ofc). Playing in-houses probably leads to the issues in premade gaf5 games. Everybody* has a more casual mentality in an in-house, but then if you transition to premade5s, that doesn't really work.

I haven't played in gaf games for awhile, but I'd agree with soda that if you want to play premade 5s, you should be trying your best and looking to learn from mistakes and get better. Maybe not everybody has the best way of catering this criticism to your personality, but you should at least be utilizing voice chat to call mia, for help, buffs, dragons, etc. That can be done without game skill.

If you just wanna hecaround, ARAMs are perfect for you.

I want to spend it getting all the champs but I'm going to wait for individual sales to pick them all up. I only have 30 champs to go.

Yeah, I have about that many left on my main acct. I'm still treating it like it's "paid RP," so I'll be waiting for sales as well. There are only a handful of champs that I really want left anyway. Guess the rest will be to fill out my other acct, or just splurging on some skins.

scy

Maybe this is a stupid question, but if your mechanics are as horrible as you make them out to be, how come you do so well in 3v3? Didn't your team hit diamond like twice in the last few months? If you have barely played at all, have horrible mechanics, and yet hit diamond once or twice, does 3v3 just have a different competitive environment or something?

Because some of it is an exaggeration. Generally speaking, I'm just missing basic ward-hops and overlooking free EW harasses. Then there's just bad mid lane mechanics of not shaping lanes for ganks and not keeping the lane where I want it. Not roaming enough and/or not roaming enough without losing much in cs. Just things like that where I'm fairly confident I was better at a year ago than I am now.

JesseZao

Because some of it is an exaggeration. Generally speaking, I'm just missing basic ward-hops and overlooking free EW harasses. Then there's just bad mid lane mechanics of not shaping lanes for ganks and not keeping the lane where I want it. Not roaming enough and/or not roaming enough without losing much in cs. Just things like that where I'm fairly confident I was better at a year ago than I am now.

Time for a new clone. #46 is about to expire.

brian!

playing with gaf has gotten to the point where almost every single game feels like an uphill struggle while missing limbs, where key roles regularly move past the point of just losing lane to feeding it and becoming useless. it is honestly worse than solo in many respects where it shouldn't be. a lot of the frustration arises from the complete lack of knowledge that many players posses. when so many of you are incapable of properly filling half the roles in the game champ select can feel like pulling teeth. guess what, it is not okay that so many of you cannot play every role. to compound matters even within those roles are limited champion pools, with which many of you still seem mechanically incompetent and unaware.

awareness in general is at an all time low. i can no longer count the number of times even within a single night where the enemy positioning will be pointed out followed by someone on my team dying. the channels for communication might as well be non-existent. warnings are not heeded, opportunities regarding objectives or ganks are not responded on, and even in spite of being so self-absorbed most players tend to be incapable on their own, wandering off to the spots on the map where they will be most useless. the most reliable thing about gaf games is that it will have players who are almost completely lacking map presence.

i don't care about winning or think i am good/above these mistakes. i understand that people can have tough lanes and lose. that's okay. but the experience of play is simply consistently unpleasant, completely lacking in both coordination and common sense. i would rather not play with people who think it's okay to feed a lane just because it's lost.

i mean a gaf game for me has always been harder than a solo q game, like I've always confusingly had better results communicating in solo, seem to play better in solo, etc. I get how playing with gaf can be frustrating, but it's always seemd part and parcel, like the experience has always revolved around giving up x amnt of game knowledge for ?. In ~2 years of doing it I have never come to expect something like a higher level of play or enhanced coordination or whatever. It's good that you have identified that it's really unpleasant for you though, because I've been through cycles of people putting their heads together and trying to figure out why this happens and I can tell you that a gaf team clicking together is dependent on a whole bunch of uncontrollable variables, like you are really rolling the dice every time you queue, if it might be the cause of potential grief it's probably better not to queue up to begin with.
prolly one of the most frustrating things for people is that this seems so easily solvable, but it's actually more complicated than any aspect of the game, like a lil mini game of getting the right people together at the right time

like something I work on during gaf games is my own consistency, but it's literally working on "gaf game" consistency because I can already willfully summon these things in solo q. a lot of the time I'll be kicking myself for doing x when I knew I should have done y, lots of hindsight commentary about my own play, because it's like I am watching my play outside of my own body, my beautiful beautiful beautiful body

I guess it's also telling that the best gaf game experiences I have are inhouses, where people don't really play or coordinate better but there is just more fun with all the recognizable names.

Maybe you guys just don't have any synergy together.

Some people you can play with so well together that you can act as one without needing to say anything at all.

With others you need to spell out everything and even then you get people who are on a completely different page than you on everything.

brian!

i dunno sometimes there's great synergy sometimes there isn't, with the same people. like we aren't pro players with one goal to focus on, just ppl who are different errday, sometimes it clicks and it's really really nice when it does, and sometimes it meshes horribly and that's awful for some people which is totally understandable.

xbroser, school me on the theory of when im in botlane and my options are to get that CS and eat a free AA or to just lose that CS and allow myself to be zoned.

brian!

aaa you gotta understand that I do enough teaching irl I already feel like a toolbag piece of shit
like I gotta work on mahself u kno

but every lane is basically amurrica, you take as much shit as you can for free and make the place ur at a place where you can exploit as much as you can, then when you set up ur zone you can invade other countries

Zukuu

Banned
I wouldn't take people playing poorly as a reason to not do something to be honest. Just sort of breeds bad habits if you expect to never be auto attack (or even neglect minion damage) harassed. Especially for how minor of a bonus MP5 is for lane.
It's roughly 220g worth of mp5. I play a rather safe and defensive Viktor mid most of the time. There are rare occasions where I'm in their AA range. Getting kills prior to level 6 and/or augment without jungle is nigh impossible unless they play dumb. You may laugh, but with mana reg yellows, I can laser almost on cool down without running dry. I don't see how combined with my playstyle, 9% less AA damage is worth giving that up. In certain matchups I'll use armor anyway tho.

drawkcaB

xbroser, school me on the theory of when im in botlane and my options are to get that CS and eat a free AA or to just lose that CS and allow myself to be zoned.

Depends on circumstances I imagine. Full health with a good amount of lifesteal to get back the health? Get the CS.

jerd

but every lane is basically amurrica, you take as much shit as you can for free and make the place ur at a place where you can exploit as much as you can, then when you set up ur zone you can invade other countries

Holy shit, I understand League now.

Snoopeh you lucky son of a bitch:

BT59UDMCcAAPPjg.jpg:large

DeadNames

Banned
So, anyone else expecting Nasus nerfs ?

Yup. Nasus is pretty silly atm. Build in life steal, AFK farm up top, teleport to a ward, R to become 2tanky, deal tons of damage with insanely farmed Q. Can't focus him because of ADC, but he still deals a lot of damage. I think altering his passive would make him a lot less frustrating to lane against and in teamfights.

If anyone is gonna be on in 30? I'd like to join in the GAF scrubbery. I never ever feed, but I occasionally get zoned out of a lane (fuck Singed).

Fwiw, I've only posted ~15 negative KDA's in about 300 matches.

Anyone know the mathematical formula used to calculate damage reduction from resists? I know resists aren't linear in this game, but I'd like to have a better idea of when it becomes less cost effective to stack more and more resists than pure HP. When the cost to add another 10% reduction no longer makes sense.

Also, when is the right time to pop botrk? Beginning of a fight? Middle? End?
Ideally, right at the start.

You pop it late when you don't feel like you were gonna win a fight and just use it as an escape.

Anyone know the mathematical formula used to calculate damage reduction from resists? I know resists aren't linear in this game, but I'd like to have a better idea of when it becomes less cost effective to stack more and more resists than pure HP. When the cost to add another 10% reduction no longer makes sense.

Basic idea: +1 Resist = +1% Effective HP

If you have 1000HP and 0 Armor, you have 1000 Effective HP.
If you have 1000HP and 50 Armor, you have 1000 (+50%) = 1500 Effective Physical HP
If you have 1000HP and 100 Armor, you have 1000 (+100%) = 2000 Effective Physical HP

Resists have diminishing returns in a sense that percent penetration (Last Whisper / Void Staff) really cuts through them. Likewise, stacking health has diminishing returns in a sense that HP% damage cuts through them.

Ty sir. Will give this a once over.

It's true of every MOBA and every real team sport I've ever played. It's why you'll never see me bitch at anyone (though poking fun occasionally is fair game). Rather, I'm the guy on the team...sometimes the only guy on the team telling a feeding adc we'll buy them time so just keep farming. Or volunteering to buy wards if the support is obviously unable to afford them. Or telling people to stop bitching at each other because "we got this shit". Whatever can be done to keep spirits high. It doesn't mean there's always a good comeback, but it will never be from lack of effort. But I've also never voted to surrender either. It's not in my makeup.

If you're going to say something, let it be based on a vision of how to pull out a win with the current situation at hand and how you and everyone else can help make that happen. And always remember: the longer a match goes, the more time the other team is foolishly giving your team to make a big comeback. If you're behind, stall as long as possible. Your team may be one or two big items away from Ace'ing the other team. Been there, done that countless times.

You can always tell who has and who hasn't actually worked with others on competitive teams or been in leadership positions before. As a former multi-sport athlete and President of 3 of the largest student-run organizations at my university (Michigan @ Ann Arbor), I tell you all truly: you always get more out of people with honey than lemons, and there's nothing complicated about that.

garath

Riot stahp.

RxYO7AK.png

I'm 9lp from promo to gold. :(

edit: or maybe that Gold I vayne mid will carry the shit out of the game. Bot got stomped early but I didn't even need to look mid. Vayne crushed ahri. I got to help bot and top and secure dragons. Ownage.

DQACG0G.png

Blizzard

Banned
You will make it.

You still have 50 days til the end of the Season.
I thought September 31 was the cutoff, only 20 days. 50 days means I might actually have a chance if I learn a champion that I can be consistent with. I'm about 3 games from being demoted to Silver IV though.

If any nice person in platinum wants to volunteer to teach me a champion that can reliably carry, I would welcome spectating and advice.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
You will make it.

You still have 50 days til the end of the Season.

Getting into division 1 of a league takes no time at all. But that last promotion into a new league can take a ridiculous amount of time.

Soooo when does Zac get nerfed?

It's gonna be funny seeing Jax, Irelia, and Corki/Ezreal become popular again in S3 finals. It will be just like the good ol days.

garath

I thought September 31 was the cutoff, only 20 days. 50 days means I might actually have a chance if I learn a champion that I can be consistent with. I'm about 3 games from being demoted to Silver IV though.

If any nice person in platinum wants to volunteer to teach me a champion that can reliably carry, I would welcome spectating and advice.

I think it was Oct 31st end of season.

fake edit. Confirmed.. 10/31.

real edit: I don't even want to play anymore. Be still my heart.. a promo series....... Nerve wracking.

Telaso

Banned

Stop being so dumb and duo queue with me! That way i berate you in real time!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
That moment when you make a beastly play and realize that you don't have your recording software on.

Feels bad.

garath

You can do, man. Keep riding that Sej train.

Sej is as good as the Zac train. In fact I think I like her more. I love the mobility of Q and the CC of the ult. It's huge. My one kill that match was actually sniping a group of 4 of them with my ult in a bush over the wraith wall. Max range popped the low one. Hilarious.

She reminds me of old Vi.. just not as much damage. But makes up for it with the slows and tank.

drawkcaB

Sej is as good as the Zac train. In fact I think I like her more. I love the mobility of Q and the CC of the ult. It's huge. My one kill that match was actually sniping a group of 4 of them with my ult in a bush over the wraith wall. Max range popped the low one. Hilarious.

This is sort of what I was talking about yesterday when I wondering whether or not to keep trying Zac. I feel better playing Sej. It's one of those instances where you see what everyone else describes as OP and question what you're doing, whether you're maximizing your play or not. Yes, I miss the stupid long initiation range on Zac E, but everything else in Sej's kit is so good.

I also think a big part of her appeal, and I feel the same way about Naut, is the look and sounds of the champ. The *crunch* when you Q into someone, the *shatter* when you land a perfect ult. Hnnngng.

Mothman91

Guys I'm Gold V but too scared to play ranked often. I've thought about playing naked to relieve the anxiety but that doesn't seem practical. What do ?

I was like that when I got to Gold V. I slowly started playing with the mindset that I'm here to learn. Blind pick and regular draft mode wasn't cutting it out for me, so I started staying away from that. Depends on you though.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
That moment when you make a beastly play and realize that you don't have your recording software on.

Feels bad.
I did better than my adc as Sona and essentially carried my team. By the end I was wishing I recorded it. Not because I was doing well, but just cause it was silly.

garath

Guys I'm Gold V but too scared to play ranked often. I've thought about playing naked to relieve the anxiety but that doesn't seem practical. What do ?

I was like that when I got to Gold V. I slowly started playing with the mindset that I'm here to learn. Blind pick and regular draft mode wasn't cutting it out for me, so I started staying away from that. Depends on you though.

Yeah. Once I get to Gold V it's going to be a LOT easier to just play. Better matchmaking (usually lol), some stat tracking and the like makes it a better game to play. Especially when you're V of anything, don't worry about the numbers. Just play and they'll come.

edit:

Seriously riot. Stop pls.

Cxs3iKD.png

edit2: I'm going to keep posting the horrible matchup lolnexus shots because it's good luck. That one was a stomp.. 20 min surrender. Win number 1. 2 more to gold ugh... have to put it down for the night too. It will have to wait till Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom