• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Yeah. Once I get to Gold V it's going to be a LOT easier to just play. Better matchmaking (usually lol), some stat tracking and the like makes it a better game to play. Especially when you're V of anything, don't worry about the numbers. Just play and they'll come.

edit:

Seriously riot. Stop pls.

Cxs3iKD.png

edit2: I'm going to keep posting the horrible matchup lolnexus shots because it's good luck. That one was a stomp.. 20 min surrender. Win number 1. 2 more to gold ugh... have to put it down for the night too. It will have to wait till Friday!

Heh, all the higher level people helping their friends get into gold and silver. It's probably only going to get worse as we get closer to 10/31.

Okay if there are no diminishing returns on resistances, is it fair to then say that resistances are always good investment over pure HP if you're sure there is one kind of damage type coming out of a team more than the other? That is to say, if the enemy ADC and physical damage top are the problem for your team, getting armor is going to be the best defensive option because the cost of adding more effective HP through armor in that scenario is less than it would be to get the same amount with pure HP in many cases because armor scales and flat HP is just that: flat. But resistance items become difficult to afford (or fit into a build) if the damage output type from the enemy team is more balanced. In that case or if you're the team damage dealer with low-ish HP (or maybe a starving support not named Leona), maybe flat HP is better. If you can only get one defensive item, anyway.

Or not. Thinking out loud. I need to do some actual maths. I'm being lazy. I know a lot of items combine damage and HP/resist or ability power and HP/resist, so putting together the right combination for a given match is dependent on a lot of shit. Just trying to work through the core theory before getting to specific items.

Newt

Okay if there are no diminishing returns on resistances, is it fair to then say that resistances are always good investment over pure HP if you're sure there is one kind of damage type coming out of a team more than the other? That is to say, if the enemy ADC and physical damage top are the problem for your team, getting armor is going to be the best defensive option because the cost of adding more effective HP through armor in that scenario is less than it would be to get the same amount with pure HP in many cases because armor scales and flat HP is just that: flat. But resistance items become difficult to afford (or fit into a build) if the damage output type from the enemy team is more balanced. In that case or if you're the team damage dealer with low-ish HP (or maybe a starving support not named Leona), maybe flat HP is better. If you can only get one defensive item, anyway.

Or not. Thinking out loud. I need to do some actual maths. I'm being lazy. I know a lot of items combine damage and HP/resist or ability power and HP/resist, so putting together the right combination for a given match is dependent on a lot of shit. Just trying to work through the core theory before getting to specific items.
Yeah, you're right. Resistances are more effective than HP.

scy

A combination of the two, with Health taking priority over Resistances first, are better than stacking just one. Their effects are multiplicative as far as calculating eHP is concerned.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
playing with gaf has gotten to the point where almost every single game feels like an uphill struggle while missing limbs, where key roles regularly move past the point of just losing lane to feeding it and becoming useless. it is honestly worse than solo in many respects where it shouldn't be. a lot of the frustration arises from the complete lack of knowledge that many players posses. when so many of you are incapable of properly filling half the roles in the game champ select can feel like pulling teeth. guess what, it is not okay that so many of you cannot play every role. to compound matters even within those roles are limited champion pools, with which many of you still seem mechanically incompetent and unaware.

awareness in general is at an all time low. i can no longer count the number of times even within a single night where the enemy positioning will be pointed out followed by someone on my team dying. the channels for communication might as well be non-existent. warnings are not heeded, opportunities regarding objectives or ganks are not responded on, and even in spite of being so self-absorbed most players tend to be incapable on their own, wandering off to the spots on the map where they will be most useless. the most reliable thing about gaf games is that it will have players who are almost completely lacking map presence.

i don't care about winning or think i am good/above these mistakes. i understand that people can have tough lanes and lose. that's okay. but the experience of play is simply consistently unpleasant, completely lacking in both coordination and common sense. i would rather not play with people who think it's okay to feed a lane just because it's lost.

I play ADC simply because it's the lane that I generally have the most fun with. I can play other lanes and I've been practicing with jungle. Trying to get better in both knowing all roles and being mechanically better. last night was bad cuz I really was lagging. I'm still having map awareness problems mostly because I don't look at the minimap. I just need to get into the habit of looking at it more and I'm trying. Sorry dimb. T_T

That last part though... do people really feed cuz it's lost? What the hell?

I think the worst of it is that this has almost always been the case but people respond poorly to being told it in any manner. Like, we have voice chat but it's not really used. It's just sort of there for people to filter out. Or get snarky remarks back to calls. People who don't want to actively get better but complain about it constantly. I don't really care when people lose their lane / get caught / do something dumb. Just work on doing better next time. Don't whine and complain about it. Don't make up excuses. Don't blame the game. Recognize what you did wrong and work on it.

Like, I get that my mechanics are horrible right now after basically playing no games the last ~6 months (my Kat looks like a Level 5 player ;__;) but, honestly, that's on me. I'm torn between wanting for us to play more games so I can just work on things but games at times are fairly frustrating depending on who's on. Which shouldn't be the case but, unfortunately, that's kind of how it feels right now.

If a person feels the need to tell what's wrong in any manner then I don't think that person has the best intentions. It should be done with a positive intent and positive action in mind. Even if the advice is right, if the person telling me has an attitude, I wouldn't want to deal with the person and the advice.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
People usually ask me why I'm still in silver 2.

Just did 3 rankeds, 3 losses. Feeders, afk tops and imbeciles all around as per usual. This is why i'm still in silver 2.

This fucking game.

kayos90

In all honesty, I just need to be more consistent. The problem is that I'll have really good games where I rarely miss cs but a vast majority of the time I just suck at csing. A lot of it is because I'm a person who hesitates a lot and is extremely fearful and top that off with how real world stuff affects me and it's often times a disaster. Oddly enough, I don't really like to trouble fellow gaf members with how crappy I play often times but at the same time I really enjoy playing with gaffers because I like some of the people I play with. Just... an annoying predicament. Anyway, that's what I primarily wanted to say.

If the other team is all AD/AP you should definitely lean toward resists than health.

But Health is still preferable in dealing with burst damage so most junglers/toplaners go for health in the mid game to tank better.

scy

If a person feels the need to tell what's wrong in any manner then I don't think that person has the best intentions. It should be done with a positive intent and positive action in mind. Even if the advice is right, if the person telling me has an attitude, I wouldn't want to deal with the person and the advice.

I think you're misunderstanding that line. I'm saying that it doesn't matter how it's said (constructive, insulting, whatever), people respond as if it is a personal insult. I try to be constructive about it at first but it's hard to keep at it when people get defensive at the slightest bit of discussion being brought up.

Edit: To clarify, I don't disagree with you. It should be done with positive intent and positive action in mind. I'm just saying that it's hard to keep doing that when the response to any kind of advice is like it is some kind of personal attack.

Wizman23

Banned
Wow whats up with all the log in screen/music changes lately? We got like 6 weeks of the same stupid ass Udyr skin change and now have 3 new ones within the same week. I like this a lot better. Vi rocking out was still the best one in my book.

Boken

Banned
I don't see any reason in this picture for him to feel lucky. Ugh.

Also, when is the right time to pop botrk? Beginning of a fight? Middle? End?
The nami is the lucky one
If anyone is gonna be on in 30? I'd like to join in the GAF scrubbery. I never ever feed, but I occasionally get zoned out of a lane (fuck Singed).

Fwiw, I've only posted ~15 negative KDA's in about 300 matches.
You should set your client to auto join the neogaf channel
Riot stahp.

RxYO7AK.png

I'm 9lp from promo to gold. :(

edit: or maybe that Gold I vayne mid will carry the shit out of the game. Bot got stomped early but I didn't even need to look mid. Vayne crushed ahri. I got to help bot and top and secure dragons. Ownage.

DQACG0G.png
That plat v player has the MMR of a silver player rofl. He probably paid for a boost
Viktor_Splash_3.jpg

Best husbando finally getting a skin
Viktor is basically Tony stark
Guys I'm Gold V but too scared to play ranked often. I've thought about playing naked to relieve the anxiety but that doesn't seem practical. What do ?
Logically it doesn't make any sense because you are already gold and unless you think you belong in bronze, you won't lose mmr. And if you really do suck, not playing doesn't change anything because next season you will be placed into bronze due to sucking.
So playing has two benefits:
-if you suck, you'll get Better, meaning gold will be easier next season
-if you don't suck you will increase your MMR for next season
Yeah. Once I get to Gold V it's going to be a LOT easier to just play. Better matchmaking (usually lol), some stat tracking and the like makes it a better game to play. Especially when you're V of anything, don't worry about the numbers. Just play and they'll come.

edit:

Seriously riot. Stop pls.

Cxs3iKD.png

edit2: I'm going to keep posting the horrible matchup lolnexus shots because it's good luck. That one was a stomp.. 20 min surrender. Win number 1. 2 more to gold ugh... have to put it down for the night too. It will have to wait till Friday!
This really just goes to show that people should stop whining about s3 rank, especially of those that are at division v

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Following boken's advice, I should really try to go as high as possible so i can get to gold easier next season

I'm aiming for plat but wouldn't mind Gold 1. Probably gonna get averaged into Gold 5 if I don't make it and Gold 1 if I do.

Boken

Banned
Following boken's advice, I should really try to go as high as possible so i can get to gold easier next season
you should quote it so more people read it
Whose ugly thumb is the one holding the pink cup in the new log in screen? Ewww.
vi's sister is a wonderful lady thank you very much
Come play Dota. We're much better and nicer. :)
;)
i stacked with some gaffers
normal skill tier dude keeps picking carry, sucking at wave control and complaining constantly
every dotagaffer is like this.

hp and resists are multiplicative so at some point getting more hp will be more effective for survivability (assuming a patchwerk style fight). and vice versa.

Mothman91

I'm aiming for plat but wouldn't mind Gold 1. Probably gonna get averaged into Gold 5 if I don't make it and Gold 1 if I do.

Me and you brother. I was in Gold 1 earlier and now i'm like one win away from my promo series into it which I failed yesterday.

WE GOTTA PUSH EACH OTHER, MOTIVATIONNNN.

Pancakes

Me and you brother. I was in Gold 1 earlier and now i'm like one win away from my promo series into it which I failed yesterday.

WE GOTTA PUSH EACH OTHER, MOTIVATIONNNN.

"If Soda Cop can do it, why can't I?"

JesseZao

I don't see any reason in this picture for him to feel lucky. Ugh.

Also, when is the right time to pop botrk? Beginning of a fight? Middle? End?

Indeed. He's posing for a picture of a random cosplayer.

Depends on champ and enemy I think. Vayne's pop it first, but you can also use it as a bait by sitting on it until you're <30%.

kayos90

I played an over hour game on ranked. The most intense game I've ever played and the best Draven game I've ever played. Holy crap. I fucking channeled Gamma's Draven. jeez.

that is exactly what gaf needs. more people playing adc.
uh, i don't see you on my list even. if i haven't played with people in awhile i am less conscientious about inviting them.

NOT ON YOUR LIST?

Bro. We've played together dozens of times. I even supported you when you went ADC and we stomped our lane. I carried the shit out of a bunch of those games as ADC myself as well.

I feel what you're saying about LOLGAF, though. I haven't played with you guys for a while since I've been doing a lot of 3s and many regulars seemingly defected full-time to ARAM, but I lost count of the amount of games when top or mid would be 0-4 in 10 minutes or someone kept getting caught over and over despite coaching and never changing their play, even after days of hearing the same stuff.

I don't really PLAY2WIN but people being stubborn and only playing one or two champs over and over that they suck with is a pain. I figure practice is for solo normals. When you play with other people, bring your A game.

garath

Yeah. Placements again in November. Get a decent enough MMR and get placed right back into gold.

I hold no illusions that I'm going to get to plat or anything this season but it would be nice to get off the fringe.

Ken

i left supergaf so you can invite someone else

i don't take this game seriously enough to be worth the spot in the ranked team

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
NOT ON YOUR LIST?

Bro. We've played together dozens of times. I even supported you when you went ADC and we stomped our lane. I carried the shit out of a bunch of those games as ADC myself as well.
I don't see you on my Friend's List. Unless your in game name is throwing me or something.

Mothman91

A great overview of the teams in group A (OMG,GGeu,SKTT1,TSM,LD) - covers players, history, level 1 strats, general strats and weaknesses.
link: [by cloth 5]

I read it earlier, a very good read for that group. Cant' wait for them to do the other group and the by group.

And also, what makes Zyra so good at support? She might be my next champion.

Boken

Banned
u guys wanna come play arr?

if i was gonna sub for an mmo, itd be wow

cant we just play decent f2p mmos like gw2, rift or swotor

card hunter is gonna be super cool. you should try it when it releases (which is like 12 hrs)

I read it earlier, a very good read for that group. Cant' wait for them to do the other group and the by group.

And also, what makes Zyra so good at support? She might be my next champion.

amazing auto attack range+animation for lane harass (super good in 2v1), decent poke with plants and spells, very good in defensive position (E gets harder to hit the further they are ;_;) and large aoe secondary aoe (really good defensively)

Ken

if i was gonna sub for an mmo, itd be wow

cant we just play decent f2p mmos like gw2, rift or swotor

card hunter is gonna be super cool. you should try it when it releases (which is like 12 hrs)

eh i have like 3 characters at cap in gw2 and i hit cap in swtor in a month so i think i'm done with those

they also aren't as pretty as arr

Blizzard

Banned
LP is so weird.

I'm almost demoted from Silver I, and I'm only gaining 4 LP per win instead of 7! Well, won an easy game. +4 LP!

Won a more difficult game...+2 LP!

Also, this is silver I in a nutshell (Jax got a pentakill, and Riven had been raging in allchat, telling them to play a real champion, calling people a homophobic slur for split-pushing, etc.):

Mothman91

LP is so weird.

I'm almost demoted from Silver I, and I'm only gaining 4 LP per win instead of 7! Well, won an easy game. +4 LP!

Won a more difficult game...+2 LP!

Also, this is silver I in a nutshell (Jax got a pentakill, and Riven had been raging in allchat, telling them to play a real champion, calling people a homophobic slur for split-pushing, etc.):

...lmao.

"stay silver zyra"

got dayummm

Boken

Banned
85cf27db32b631e5c25cd57585de7717.png

It begins. Korean teams have come over to NA for easy access to data free Riot money and world champ spots

Na Lcs to become like sc2 Na wcs

Boken

Banned
Are people honestly expecting anyone but Korea to win worlds?

Also where's that guide?
It's too big. I only have time to make a worlds OT. Maybe next season. Maybe I should ask for help

Btw that's a team of Koreans playing on North American servers and under an NA team name. They might try to qualify for LCS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom