• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laughed so hard at an ARAM game I just had. I was playing Karma and got to REALLY low health (~100) so the entire enemy team jumped on me. Cue Karma shield, AP Janna Shield, Seraph Shield, Locket and Barrier which filled my entire HP bar with white. Even enemy Alistar laughed at the retarded amount of shields I suddenly gained. I think I gained around 1600 amount of shield at that moment.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
How we decide everything in gaf games

dkizD7k.png

14/3/4 Garen effort not enough. :-(

Lucian had no AD runes and built a shiv instead of an IE...or a BT...or anything else that makes sense.

Life is hard. As it turns out, even with 60% resists, 40% damage reduction and 4200hp, you just can't tank everything forever.

Maybe should have bought a damage item or two? Cleaver / IE is quite nice on Garen.

I had an IE and a Cleaver. and a sunfire, and a spirit visage, and bloodmail.

Garen does have a hard time actually carrying the game. Some damage will help, but it's tough unless you get really ahead.

wasn't trying to. just ended up where I got 6-slotted first and the adc didn't know how to build his champ.

Leezard

I had an IE and a Cleaver. and a sunfire, and a spirit visage, and bloodmail.

wasn't trying to. just ended up where I got 6-slotted first and the adc didn't know how to build his champ.

Ah, I see. Yeah, people not knowing how to build an adc will often ruin your chances at a decent mid-late game.

Ah, I see. Yeah, people not knowing how to build an adc will often ruin your chances at a decent mid-late game.

him
r2r.png

me
bx32.png

He went botrk --> shiv and as such, did no damage midgame. frozen mallet was just insult to injury, really. At the end, he had no more than 250 physical damage. Tops.

edit: on a side note, I like 3v3. it's kind of...a microwave for learning champs. all fighting, all the damn time. I hate the fact that there are no wards on TT...but regardless, learning how to use those combos on brand new champs is easy because there's a chance to use them every 40 seconds. lol

Boken

Banned
I am EUW.

Also how should I get back into this? Focus on just a few characters I have already unlocked or play around with all of them?

These are the champions I own:

bildschirmfoto2013-09hcsdq.png

euw are a pretty friendly bunch. im sure they'd be willing to show you around.

as for what you have, i think annie is a very fun and quintessentially "mage"

(are you level 12 yet)

katarina is hella fun too, but only if you know whats going on because you need to dodge a lot of shit with her (melee mage)

vlad is vlad, farm farm farm. crappy early game, great late game.

ashe is okay, good if youre a control type player as shes a utility carry with slows and global initiate skill

Ferga

Had a guy beg for thresh first pick to trade. The banner picks thresh.

And then at the end of champ select, he didn't trade and just typed: fuck you i'm mid noob.

This is going to be an interesting game.

Diamond 5s baby.

Boken

Banned
Had a guy beg for thresh first pick to trade. The banner picks thresh.

And then at the end of champ select, he didn't trade and just typed: fuck you i'm mid noob.

This is going to be an interesting game.

Diamond 5s baby.

lol thats clever

edit: i see this is going well
why isnt nasus and kat lane swapping???!

Xater

euw are a pretty friendly bunch. im sure they'd be willing to show you around.

as for what you have, i think annie is a very fun and quintessentially "mage"

(are you level 12 yet)

katarina is hella fun too, but only if you know whats going on because you need to dodge a lot of shit with her (melee mage)

vlad is vlad, farm farm farm. crappy early game, great late game.

ashe is okay, good if youre a control type player as shes a utility carry with slows and global initiate skill

Yes I am level 12. Most of my play time so far has been with Veigar who I though was pretty straight forward to understand. trap guys and nuke the shit out of them.

Boken

Banned
Yes I am level 12. Most of my play time so far has been with Veigar who I though was pretty straight forward to understand. trap guys and nuke the shit out of them.
annie is even more straight forward. get stun passive up, and blow people up.

flash is integral to annie's play.

shoutout to the euw duders, diprosalic, dobkepetobotps programix n co

Ferga

Well that was one of the worst games of my life. Somehow the 0/6 trolling katarina convinced the entire enemy team to report me for not helping her feed more kills.

I have all chat shut off so it was weird reading the post game lobby and getting that "you got reported message".

Boken

Banned
She wasn't trolling that much when I was watching. It's a pretty tough lane for Kat. Probably got really frustrated and took it out on you

Terrutas

Neo Member
Well that was one of the worst games of my life. Somehow the 0/6 trolling katarina convinced the entire enemy team to report me for not helping her feed more kills.

I have all chat shut off so it was weird reading the post game lobby and getting that "you got reported message".

Report is the worst buzzword I've ever seen. People throw it around like candy, it's as if they feel they have some sort of power over you, as in when they report you you instantly get banned. It makes no sense.

Also, anybody know when world's starts today?

le bip

Neo Member
bip so important he has two entries. I approve.

Actually I asked how to fix that, but nobody answered. I'm thinking about making a third entry though.

Draven, Twitch. Trist for solo q is really meh.

Why would Tris be meh for soloq? She's by far the safest adc in the game, and she still is an hypercarry. Her mid game issues are largely solved by the botrk into last whisper build, and she doesn't even suffer from the lack of attack speed since she has her q. Really, she doesn't lack of anything: range, wave clear, escape (with a reset on assists, lol), knockback, grevious wound, attack speed steroid (and an insane one too).

We have a reasonably(?) large NeoGAF channel on EUW. Just open the chat room thing (middle of three buttons in botom right of client) and join channel -> 'NeoGAF'. You may want to check out Boken's LoLGAF people thing too. We play games whenever Dobkeratops isn't online. >:D

Actually I asked how to fix that, but nobody answered. I'm thinking about making a third entry though..

le bip | le bip | Bronze V CARRY ME PLS

LogicStep

I started using Teemo and I really like that I can basically play any role with him. Have only tried mid and top but apparently he can fill any roll. AD teemo is beast. Tried 2 different ap builds and an ad build and ad is my favorite so far.

Boken

Banned
I started using Teemo and I really like that I can basically play any role with him. Have only tried mid and top but apparently he can fill any roll. AD teemo is beast. Tried 2 different ap builds and an ad build and ad is my favorite so far.

ap teemo is definitely superior to ad teemo

your bombs arent even annoying if youre ad teemo

LogicStep

ap teemo is definitely superior to ad teemo

your bombs arent even annoying if youre ad teemo

I like AP Teemo's shrooms but everything else I like better as AD. The build I'm using is reliant of a lot of attack speed. Is there something similar for AP? Or better yet, what would be a good AP build?

scy

him
r2r.png

me
bx32.png

He went botrk --> shiv and as such, did no damage midgame. frozen mallet was just insult to injury, really. At the end, he had no more than 250 physical damage. Tops.

edit: on a side note, I like 3v3. it's kind of...a microwave for learning champs. all fighting, all the damn time. I hate the fact that there are no wards on TT...but regardless, learning how to use those combos on brand new champs is easy because there's a chance to use them every 40 seconds. lol

There's no Bloodthirster on TT, it's replaced with Sanguine Blade. Which he built. His build really isn't that illogical. Shiv is a good mid-game spike item (and helps wave-clear) and BotRK gives Lucian a pseudo-escape. Sanguine and BotRK is a little wasted, however, but it's not the worst thing ever. I'm willing to bet he picked up Mallet since he wasn't getting peeled for. Like, his ideal build would have most likely been Sanguine -> Shiv -> IE -> LW (reverse these two if necessary due to enemy builds).

As far as your build goes, I wouldn't have picked up the Bloodmail. Or probably the IE, honestly. And I'd have to ask what you were doing in teamfights. You have an ADC on Treeline so your goal is to protect him, not dive the enemy.

Edit: To add, normally you do not have an ADC on Treeline. On top of that, your team is just a lot worse off than theirs. They can have their Kha'zix and Darius just go in with Brand catching people / his ult is really good while your team doesn't really have much to do besides take that engage and fight it out.

Merovin

There's no Bloodthirster on TT, it's replaced with Sanguine Blade. Which he built. His build really isn't that illogical. Shiv is a good mid-game spike item (and helps wave-clear) and BotRK gives Lucian a pseudo-escape. Sanguine and BotRK is a little wasted, however, but it's not the worst thing ever. I'm willing to bet he picked up Mallet since he wasn't getting peeled for. Like, his ideal build would have most likely been Sanguine -> Shiv -> IE -> LW (reverse these two if necessary due to enemy builds).

As far as your build goes, I wouldn't have picked up the Bloodmail. Or probably the IE, honestly. And I'd have to ask what you were doing in teamfights. You have an ADC on Treeline so your goal is to protect him, not dive the enemy.

Edit: To add, normally you do not have an ADC on Treeline. On top of that, your team is just a lot worse off than theirs. They can have their Kha'zix and Darius just go in with Brand catching people / his ult is really good while your team doesn't really have much to do besides take that engage and fight it out.

You'd be surprised, a lot of the challenger teams for TT either run two lanes and a jungler, or a support/adc lane with the top lane. Quinn, Ezreal or Vayne are the main adc's for TT.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
i would never trust a lolking guide that someone doesn't link to their profile on. also, literally hurricane.

Eesh, got destroyed mid as Fiddle versus Karthus. Xin ganks were kills every time from level 2. :( Got Zhonya's eventually but was still useless. Feels bad after four wins in a row. Worst part is I didn't even pick mid, I filled after everyone else picked.

And I genuinely thought Fiddle would be good against Karthus.

scy

You'd be surprised, a lot of the challenger teams for TT either run two lanes and a jungler, or a support/adc lane with the top lane. Quinn, Ezreal or Vayne are the main adc's for TT.

The EU meta is still closer to the support/carry top lane but it's mostly being phased out for the jungle and two solo lanes as far as I know. Leona is a strong enough support pick to almost be worth giving up the jungle farm :x

The exception being the three ADCs you mention but they're still not super common and they still get run in a jungle + solo lane setup. Vayne is a nightmare, Ezreal is a hassle, and Quinn is a fairly good bully in lane. Hence why I said generally speaking, you do not have an ADC. If you do, it's usually a comp designed around them, not something like Garen/Kayle/Lucian :x

Edit: Basically, ADCs on TT aren't a "well, you have one" case. There's comps for them, yes, but it's not an always thing.

Eesh, got destroyed mid as Fiddle versus Karthus. Xin ganks were kills every time from level 2. :( Got Zhonya's eventually but was still useless. Feels bad after four wins in a row. Worst part is I didn't even pick mid, I filled after everyone else picked.

And I genuinely thought Fiddle would be good against Karthus.

Skittles outdamages drain I think. Could be wrong.

Report is the worst buzzword I've ever seen. People throw it around like candy, it's as if they feel they have some sort of power over you, as in when they report you you instantly get banned. It makes no sense.

Also, anybody know when world's starts today?

The worst word is 'toxic' and everything that spawned from it.

And I've gotten those warnings before, the 'HI YOUR'E HAVING A BAD DAY' message before. I just ignore them and continue on with calling people idiots. I can't help it if I call a 2/12 varus an idiot for feeding and getting caught. I can't help it for calling trolls idiots.

His problem was he had no damage dealing. That's what happens when someone with no AD runes (with the starting sword thing he had all of 60dmg) picks an adc and prioritizes attack speed over actual damage. The problem I have with the build is that he built it like it was a normal 5v5 match and he had someone else along with him to provide dps and more to take damage than just one person. As you said, an IE is absolutely essential at some point, and knowing you have a tank means you as an adc need to get your damage in order. When you have <200 damage after the enemy bullies all hit 150-200 armor and stack 2500+ HP, you aren't doing much. As you said, the Shiv is for wave clear, but we didn't need wave clear items. We needed damage to cut through tanks and bullies, because the longer fights have to go against a Kha and a Darius, the worse your odds of winning become. It didn't help that we had no real burst dps, but that wasn't the biggest issue.

As for team fights, I was looking for an opportunity to blow up Brand (first pri) or/then Kha (secnd pri) and draw all the attention to me. Which worked regularly. I told them all to stay behind me and let me initiate. Bloodmail was my last real pickup to tank for as long as possible. 4200 HP seems like it should just be enough, but maybe more armor would have given me more eHP, but I'm not sure. I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about it. IE was a replacement for some damage item I bought earlier to compensate for the adc not having one. Someone has to deal some crits. I would have preferred he had it, or to have a couple on the team. To be honest, I think Lucien was playing Lucien because he's free at the moment and didn't have a great feel for how to use or build the champ. Emphases on using. Also, Kha is pretty good at sneaking behind and attacking. There were more than a few times Lucien had winnable 1v1's that he tried to run away from where he let a guy right-click him to death from behind. There were times when he would E to rush in, losing his escape mechanism, and then not be able to create space for himself when need. Trademarks of people who don't know a champ well enough.

That said, what would you have recommended over the IE or Bloodmail? I felt like 4200hp and 60% resists (+40% dr) should be enough tank if the other champs are dealing any kind of damage, but they both built attack speed instead. Speaking of which, I recommended Kayle build a LW when she asked after she finished the Botrk and tooth. I think she forgot, but that may not have been a great recommendation in general. Idk. And I recommended Lucien build an IE, which I guess he never got around to. Also, was the gameplan of asking the other stay in the back while I go on Kha/Brand, draw as much fire as possible and kill one of those two then deal with whoever's left not a good plan? Or, how would you have approached the fights? Since neither Kayle nor Lucien had any meaningful amounts magic resist at all, I felt like getting rid of their hardest CC and aoe AP damage dealer for them was the best thing to do. In theory, I felt like Lucien with his E and Kayle with her W should be able to kite the melee guys, and I think they were getting a feel for that later, but it came a bit too late for them. I feel like if you're going to go glass cannon (let alone to have two of them in a 3v3 mode), you really need to be comfortable with your champ and how to make space. Especially when there are no disables on the team to bail you out.

I think the only way your build would have been better is to replace Bloodmail with Randuin. It would help with peeling and is good against 2/3 ADs. The rest is just playing better and hoping your teammates play well. Kayle should have been able to deal with Darius herself.

I think the only way your build would have been better is to replace Bloodmail with Randuin. It would help with peeling and is good against 2/3 ADs. The rest is just playing better and hoping your teammates play well. Kayle should have been able to deal with Darius herself.
Gotcha. I've never reheard of that item. Lots of learning yet to do. :-(.

I think Kayle was struggling to use her ults effectively, but I wasn't paying much attention. She did mention missing some.

scy

His problem was he had no damage dealing. That's what happens when someone with no AD runes (with the starting sword thing he had all of 60dmg) picks an adc and prioritizes attack speed over actual damage.

I don't necessarily disagree with this. BotRK is one of those items that is in theory decent for Lucian but you're better off with a bigger AD item and a bigger dedicated ASPD item. Hence why Sanguine Blade (BT for SR) -> Shiv is ultimately a better use of the gold. Especially in a situation where Armor is increasing faster than HP since BotRK doesn't offer much here.

Like, I don't think you're wrong that the builds aren't ideal for the situation. BotRK/Sanguine/Shiv/FM screams to me that his ideal goal to survive fights was kite backwards and lifesteal it off. Dropping the FM for LW would have made that a lot easier, especially with two other people to keep space for him instead of needing FM.

As you said, the Shiv is for wave clear, but we didn't need wave clear items.

It helps with that but the bigger part of it is how fast Lucian stacks it and what kind of damage spike it provides when you get it early on. It's a far better low item situation pick-up than, say, PD. And an arguably bigger spike in damage than an AD item here.

As for team fights, I was looking for an opportunity to blow up Brand (first pri) or/then Kha (secnd pri) and draw all the attention to me. Which worked regularly. I told them all to stay behind me and let me initiate.

Your team really didn't want to force a teamfight, just take their engage and kite backwards since you have two hyper scaling characters in Lucian and Kayle. You being separated from them with something like a Kha'zix and Darius in play is just not really ideal. Your ability to dive and kill someone is far weaker than Kha'zix and Darius is a monster if he gets his hands on someone squishy. In a better team setup, yes, you'd want to be removing their carry but you don't really have the ability to do that as Garen.

Now, if they weren't diving your team and were just trying to deal with you as you were diving then that should be a fairly ideal situation for your team, though they weren't really building for this. Like, their builds are more for longer fights so they wanted to not be diving and trying to score kills that way. But it doesn't sound like they were mechanically capable of doing that.

That said, what would you have recommended over the IE or Bloodmail? I felt like 4200hp and 60% resists (+40% dr) should be enough tank if the other champs are dealing any kind of damage, but they both built attack speed instead.

The IE isn't completely awful depending on when you got it. If you were ahead early on, which your score kind of seems to indicate, it could have been picked up earlier and more pressure on the map done through it. Twisted Treeline is more about what pressure is put on the map early on and turning leads into being immovable in lane isn't really that helpful.

Randuin's would have been better than the Bloodmail if only for the slow you could get off of it.

Speaking of which, I recommended Kayle build a LW when she asked after she finished the Botrk and tooth. I think she forgot, but that may not have been a great recommendation in general. Idk.

If Kayle was going for that style of dirty fighting, she'd have been better off with Nashor's + Wit's End + Liandry's, though I'm not sure if that's the best call here really. And Last Whisper isn't really that big of a deal for her since her damage isn't primarily physical, more that the build (Nashor's BotRK Rageblade Zephyr) is just pretty much terrible. It's offering very little, especially against a team with Frozen Heart(s).

I feel like if you're going to go glass cannon (let alone to have two of them in a 3v3 mode), you really need to be comfortable with your champ and how to make space. Especially when there are no disables on the team to bail you out.

Generally speaking, you have more offensive builds on TT, not less offensive ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom