• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have a newbie question:

I understand mid-lane champs as being able to solo mid. But top vs bot lane champs. What's the difference between each?

scy

I understand mid-lane champs as being able to solo mid. But top vs bot lane champs. What's the difference between each?

Top lane is another solo lane. It's a longer lane when compared to mid, however, so you tend to get more bruiser-y things there.

At low levels, you tend to see two people top because nobody jungles.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Top lane is another solo lane. It's a longer lane when compared to mid, however, so you tend to get more bruiser-y things there.

At low levels, you tend to see two people top because nobody jungles.

Is there any reason behind this? Or is just arbitrarily determined to be this way because it's the way people do it?

Bot lane is closer to dragon, so you usually want to have two people there to keep vision and pressure so the other team doesn't get it / can help when you want to get it. Since you're having 2 champs bot, you'll want one champ that scales more with farm than with levels - since he's sharing xp - who is usually pretty weak early and benefits the most from having someone support him - ad carries - and one champ that can do well with no items at all since all the gold in the lane goes to the adc - supports - and can waste money on wards to keep dragon control without losing effectiveness.

As for top lane, Baron control isn't important for a good portion of the game, so it isn't that important to have two people there unless you want to shut someone down. Also being a long solo lane, jungle ganks are far more common and dangerous so you usually send tanky fighters who scale more with levels than gold - since it's a very snowbally lane and any mistake can force you to hug tower and lose a lot of gold - that can survive said ganks or a ranged champ that can kite the other laner while still being somewhat safe from ganks - having an escape, a strong disengage or simply being able to farm from very far are key.

scy

Is there any reason behind this? Or is just arbitrarily determined to be this way because it's the way people do it?

1-1-2 + Jungle is to get the most gold out of the map. Bruisers tend to do better in the longer lane than squishier picks so they get the longer solo lane while APs/Assassins get the mid lane; two solo lanes also means you have two lanes that are getting a lot of EXP so, ideally, you have champions here that scale well with levels. Two bot gives better map control over Dragon. Due to having two people there, you want things that scale best with gold and not EXP so that's why you have ADCs over, say, a bruiser or AP there. The Support is generally something that doesn't need items to do their thing and, while they benefit from EXP, it's not a pressing matter for them. Realistically, your Support pick is something that offers something to a lane partner: Sustain, Damage Prevention, Zoning, or Kill Potential.

Those lanes are a lot more dynamic in competitive play but that's not really relevant to solo queue / less organized stuff.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thank you guys - makes a LOT more sense now. For my lowbie grind, I imagine it won't start to make a huge impact. But as time goes on, knowing the reason for this will make a big difference on me understanding why someone is going where they go.

LogicStep

Man I've had some cool games with LoLReplay running but apparently it's broken and crashes my game when I try to view a replay. Anyone know a fix? I can't seem to find one that's current.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
support is a good role to get. lots of people don't know how to do it right.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Man I've had some cool games with LoLReplay running but apparently it's broken and crashes my game when I try to view a replay. Anyone know a fix? I can't seem to find one that's current.

do you have special characters in your player name?

DeadNames

Banned
I feel like a huge tool asking this, but does anyone have a spare account they'd let me use? Were doing a 5v5 tonight and my main is banned :/ so runes or masteries or champions... Sorry :/

I just learned that I should shuffle my bans. I firstpicked Ahri then someone from the enemy team dodged after a few picks. I got placed in the queue again then did the exact same bans (J4, Zac, Amumu). The enemy did the exact same bans except for Ahri as their third, then proceeded to pick the same champs.

Did you record it in spectator view? There's an option in the program to do so. Otherwise it always crashes.

LogicStep

Did you record it in spectator view? There's an option in the program to do so. Otherwise it always crashes.

Hmm what do you mean?

edit: yes, in the program it has Record all matches in specmode checked.

The replay starts but after a bit before minions spawn my game crashes.

bjaelke

Does Riot do any giveaways to the viewers watching the streams? something similar to Dota's drop system etc.

Only if you actively participate on Twitter during the stream. You can win a gaming mouse(?) by asking/answering questions.

There might be a code given out at some point for a season 3 summoner icon.

not directly no (and the drop system is a sham anyway)

image.php

daripad

First Match I have played online and my internet is so shitty that I was disconected almost the whole game. Shame, I wanted to play this :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom