• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

Rengar or Kha'Zix for top lane? I'm torn between the two. Kind of leaning towards Rengar, he looks like TONS of fun.
1238908_10153312500180556_263324165_n.jpg

Eh, I'd day Garen is more. Garen is just silence to spin 2 win.

Oh for fucking sure. I played him a few times for the first time this week. It almost felt like cheating after having spent most of my time with champs like Syndra and Irela. Q --> E --> R and win. No skill required at all. Just the ability to recognize an opportunity.

In other news, I'm almost to 6300ip again. Trying to decide between Lee Sin (4800), Darius, Zed, and Zyra. I've never played any of them. If it matters, I'm good with skill shots. Anyone entertaining is fine. I've seen a lot of Zed and Zyra in pro play, so I was leaning towards one of them.

DeadNames

Banned
Oh for fucking sure. I played him a few times for the first time this week. It almost felt like cheating after having spent most of my time with champs like Syndra and Irela. Q --> E --> R and win. No skill required at all. Just the ability to recognize an opportunity.

In other news, I'm almost to 6300ip again. Trying to decide between Lee Sin (4800), Darius, Zed, and Zyra. I've never played any of them. If it matters, I'm good with skill shots. Anyone entertaining is fine. I've seen a lot of Zed and Zyra in pro play, so I was leaning towards one of them.

If you want my input, I think Zed is going to get nerfed after worlds. Hard. Lee seems very fun to play and I was actually thinking of picking him up. Darius seems... meh IMO. Not much depth to his kit.

I don't think Zed needs to be nerfed that hard as long as they demolish BoTRK. His silly split pushing is what pushes him over the edge from being pretty OP to dear lord in heaven ban this fucker.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't think Zed needs to be nerfed that hard as long as they demolish BoTRK. His silly split pushing is what pushes him over the edge from being pretty OP to dear lord in heaven ban this fucker.
I don't see what they could do to BotRK that would have that big of an impact on Zed.

Blizzard

Banned
More notes about LP gains and mysterious math that perhaps only Boken understands:

Streaks of winning winning 7/10 or 8/10 games, and/or multiple games in a row, gets gains like +4 +4 +4 +5 +6. Losing 3 games in a row goes like -5, -7, -9, but then winning goes like +14, +7 (not sure about this one), +4.

However, after going back to I think +4 for two games after the streak of losses, at around 49 LP in Silver 1, I won a game today and got 11 LP.

So my current theories are one or more of the following:
* Having 3 Gold V on the other team (despite their presumable low MMR) and 0 Gold on my team affected the LP gain.
* Having a duo on the other team, and no duo on my team, affected the LP gain.
* My being first pick and winning affected the LP gain.
I just disproved two of these theories. After going like +4, +4, +11, I won a fourth game in a row...+4 again.

BUT, this latest game was also against 3 Gold V players when we only had Silver players. So that theory wasn't valid. I was first pick yet again, and picked jungle first without trading yet again, so that theory wasn't valid either.

One difference was that last game it was (5 solo) vs (3 solo, 2 duo), but this game was (3 solo, 2 duo) vs (3 solo, 2 duo). I suppose it could all be down to MMR as well, but I would expect matchmaking to put me against similar MMR players. I don't think it would be clamping either, since all of those games would have been in the 49-64 LP range, 4 consecutive wins, only a continuous progression.

So I don't see any very good explanation for the +11 LP game in the middle of four +4's or +5's, unless it's the solo/duo thing. Professor Boken, any more ideas?

DeadNames

Banned

The Bork seems to be the source of many problems...

Also his passive helps with his splitpushing/farming. He's too faceroll with his passive IMO.

I don't see what they could do to BotRK that would have that big of an impact on Zed.
Get rid of the attack speed and make the active do current % health instead of max - basically go back to how it was before it got buffed - I guess? Make it less "just buy this item" and more "okay they're stacking health, BoTRK time". Buff the passive and base AD to compensate, I dunno.

Hurts both his burst and split pushing big time without nerfing him directly.

Blizzard

Banned
Really weird moment of the day, assuming this was legit:

Alex Ich apparently just added me to his friends list as he was leveling a smurf during relax time before playing tomorrow with Gambit BenQ?

They were asking if I was someone else, some odd name like sjolk5. They said they were kind of disappointed that I wasn't, and talked for a bit about that they were leveling up the account in preparation for season 4, playing to relax, etc.

They said Gambit was playing at 4 p.m. tomorrow but then apparently deleted me before I could wish them good luck. So I guess I'll never know how/why he found my name, lol. I've been playing nothing but ranked so I couldn't even have accidentally played with him.

Boken

Banned
Isn't Rengar getting nerfed soon?
hes getting "reworked" - but im sure hes going to be really strong after the rework, just cos of his core concept of this asshole hunter guy who runs fast n stealths.
AND hes a solo queue super star right now. just watch some rengar only videos.

strong now, strong after rework. nothing to lose.
Really weird moment of the day, assuming this was legit:

Alex Ich apparently just added me to his friends list as he was leveling a smurf during relax time before playing tomorrow with Gambit BenQ?

They were asking if I was someone else, some odd name like sjolk5. They said they were kind of disappointed that I wasn't, and talked for a bit about that they were leveling up the account in preparation for season 4, playing to relax, etc.

They said Gambit was playing at 4 p.m. tomorrow but then apparently deleted me before I could wish them good luck. So I guess I'll never know how/why he found my name, lol. I've been playing nothing but ranked so I couldn't even have accidentally played with him.
cool.

If you want my input, I think Zed is going to get nerfed after worlds. Hard. Lee seems very fun to play and I was actually thinking of picking him up. Darius seems... meh IMO. Not much depth to his kit.

i remember when they nerfed zed once. then everybody thought he was trash. then dade dominated OGN with him. now everybody plays zed. now dade sucks.

DeadNames

Banned
hes getting "reworked" - but im sure hes going to be really strong after the rework, just cos of his core concept of this asshole hunter guy who runs fast n stealths.
AND hes a solo queue super star right now. just watch some rengar only videos.

Sweet. Would you recommend him over Kha'Zix? Rengar seems like a better version of him.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
What's a good way to learn a new champion? Just ARAM and learn whoever I get? Or do a bot game to screw around?

Just play normals. Or 1 bot match if you literally have no idea what a champ does.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just play normals. Or 1 bot match if you literally have no idea what a champ does.

I've literally only played Annie, Anivia, Graves, and Veigar. I played one game as Singed a few years ago, too.

E: As such, I don't know ANYTHING about the champions, haha.

JesseZao

I'd say dominion is the most efficient mode to try new champs. You start lvl 3 so you can try all abilities right away and the matches are the fastest.

Blizzard

Banned
I've literally only played Annie, Anivia, Graves, and Veigar. I played one game as Singed a few years ago, too.

Bot games won't hurt then. You can still get win of the day IP from them, though the selection of enemy champions is a bit limited.

If you don't care as much about the SR map and you just want to dive into champions, ARAM is one way to learn mechanics. :) You start at level 3 like dominion.

Boken

Banned
Sweet. Would you recommend him over Kha'Zix? Rengar seems like a better version of him.
yeah. Khazix is better at assassinating multiple times in a team fight due to multiple stealth + resets + damage dependant on only one ability, but Rengar is much much better at killing a single target. and has better laning.
he just started this game dude

i recommend trying them out in co-op vs ai (intermediate)

I'd say dominion is the most efficient mode to try new champs. You start lvl 3 so you can try all abilities right away and the matches are the fastest.

Bot games won't hurt then. You can still get win of the day IP from them, though the selection of enemy champions is a bit limited.

If you don't care as much about the SR map and you just want to dive into champions, ARAM is one way to learn mechanics. :) You start at level 3 like dominion.
I dont think you guys remember what it is like to start out playing this game. he doesnt need the extra confusion of multiple map types and layouts. i remember trying to teach my gf a few months ago and dominion was so confusing to her she spent more time on the map than on the champion.

@nicoga: just try them in coop vs ai if youre not confident :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks guys - sounds like I'll do bot matches. I feel like if I just throw the game on beginner and play for 15-20 minutes or so, I should at least have a base understanding of the champion.

Ferga

When I started out, I just went normals and played free week champions all the way to 30. I was completely new to moba as well (well, i played 2-3 games of dota but I completely sucked and learnt nothing from it).

I learnt the aoe and tank meta and what champions did by the time I got to level 15.

I think most new players just press buttons and hope for the best. If you took the time to read your skills and become aware of what's happening in the game, then you'll slowly learn how to play the game.

There are things that work and don't work. Find them.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
When I started out, I just went normals and played free week champions all the way to 30. I was completely new to moba as well (well, i played 2-3 games of dota but I completely sucked and learnt nothing from it).

I learnt the aoe and tank meta and what champions did by the time I got to level 15.

I think most new players just press buttons and hope for the best. If you took the time to read your skills and become aware of what's happening in the game, then you'll slowly learn how to play the game.

My worry with doing this is how important items are. I still don't really know them all, so I never know what to buy. That's annoying in that I feel like I can VERY easily gimp myself and my team if I don't buy the right items to compliment me.

DeadNames

Banned
My worry with doing this is how important items are. I still don't really know them all, so I never know what to buy. That's annoying in that I feel like I can VERY easily gimp myself and my team if I don't buy the right items to compliment me.

ATM itemization is pretty bland. Not many items are used. When was the last time anyone saw Eleisa's Miracle?

The recommended items are generally OK.

EXCEPT for champions with Machete as a recommended starting item. There are some champs who are good in lane but has Machete as a recommended start item (IIRC Rengar and Tryn). Do not buy Machete since you won't be jungling for a while. It is absolutely useless outside the jungle.

ATM itemization is pretty bland. Not many items are used. When was the last time anyone saw Eleisa's Miracle?
I get it on Soraka/Sona in ARAM. Love baiting enemies with Heal+Barrier+W+R+Locket+Seraph.

Boken

Banned

it really depends on how you learn whether you like diving in head first or being very prepared by doing a coop vs ai game.
ironically, itemisation is so subtle its actually harder to explain than dota items are

generally though, the option is whether to go for damage or survivability - depending on how you think the character should play

check out your champion on: http://gameinfo.oce.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/

generally your abilities will scale off "ability power" or "attack damage" - so you buy either of those to increase your damage. if you do that youll already be ahead of people starting out, and you'll be able to discover the sutbtleties as you go along.

in regards to surviability, generally, front line champions will have to have some (unless your character is an "assassin" class) which is a choice between hp or resistances(magic or armor).
you can simply tell which resistances you will need by checking your death recap after you die - even easier is to press tab and see what items the enemy is buying. if they are buying ability power items, they are generally dealing magic damage (magic resist) - if they are buying attack damage items they are generally dealing physical damage (armor)

Unless you're being reworked by Scarizard.
on a related point, certainlyT has a habit of making really strong champions (due to inbuilt mechanics) - zed, zyra, darius, thresh. his next champion is after Vi's sister. itll be a good champion to invest in for your solo queue stock market

Pastry

Banned
How many games are in a promo series? Just got qualified for my promo series to move up to Silver 2, only been playing ranked for like two days.

Subtle

Well I'm done with League. Such a frustrating little game. I think I'll spend my days on Animal Crossing for the time being...

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Well I'm done with League. Such a frustrating little game. I think I'll spend my days on Animal Crossing for the time being...

That's what they all say. And yet everyone crawls back eventually.

Zynx

Welp, just started playing this game thanks to the SKT vs KT clashes. Never thought being an old BW fan would affect me like this.

I've got one question for now, just in case anyone here knows the answer. The animation of pouring flames for Annie's incinerate (W) can be interrupted and cut short earlier than normal by giving another command. Does cutting off the animation early reduce the damage done?

Newt

Welp, just started playing this game thanks to the SKT vs KT clashes. Never thought being an old BW fan would affect me like this.

I've got one question for now, just in case anyone here knows the answer. The animation of pouring flames for Annie's incinerate (W) can be interrupted and cut short earlier than normal by giving another command. Does cutting off the animation early reduce the damage done?
No, the damage remains the same.

Blizzard

Banned
Every once in a while you get people who don't seem like jerks.

Last night there were two enemy junglers that kind of made me feel bad. A Riven was like "you guys didn't leave me anything" after we killed her at red buff and I might have stolen her blue buff later on. And then an Elise jungler and/or her top laner were like "I hate you Sejuani your ganks are so annoying :(" because I kept showing up where they were about to gank and counterganking. My teammates loved it but I felt kind of like I was ruining some little kid's night. Ranked makes us all into cruel people.

Then tonight my teammates in a game were like "everyone please honor sej" "sej team captain" "ty for silver 2" "we like you sej".

(preempting soda cop, yes homeguard is probably a waste of money, but I think in at least a couple of situations I was trying to race back to save a tower or save teammates before they got jumped on...and yes locket may not be the best, but in a couple of situations I might have needed MR but didn't have enough gold for negatron, so I figured I might as well try to build it for the CDR and MR and slight shield)

I suppose I'm due for another big losing streak, but overall I'm still very slowly trending upwards, so I will keep trying.

Mothman91

Had a WW that went jungle. He was doing horribly and someone pointed out that he built a tear on him. Next thing you know, we surrender and I look at the post game info, he actually sold it lol.

Boken

Banned

LoL is the only place for old school BW clashes now!

Neat fact: most spells have an after animation that can be cut short with no detriment. auto attacks too, but coming from bw/sc2 you're probably accustomed to that

Blizzard

Banned
LoL is the only place for old school BW clashes now!

Neat fact: most spells have an after animation that can be cut short with no detriment. auto attacks too, but coming from bw/sc2 you're probably accustomed to that
People have to be careful with autoattacks though, correct? I think even after whatever Riot patched, Corki, for example, will play the missile fire animation for an autoattack, but it will do no damage if you cancel it with a move command too early. Or at least I think this is the case since I think I have not done minion damage when I expected to.

Zynx

Thanks for the answers, guys.

So far I've played maybe a dozen or two games: a few coop vs bot, and the rest normals, and I haven't experienced much of the negativity that I've read about. Just one game where our team was winning but one guy ragequit and we had to surrender, and another game where two teammates bickered immaturely while we totally crushed the other team. The rest of the games have been either quiet or friendly enough.

But it seems I've suddenly run into a lot more players on smurf accounts and generally much more skilled players than me after hitting level 9.

Boken

Banned
Thanks for the answers, guys.

So far I've played maybe a dozen or two games: a few coop vs bot, and the rest normals, and I haven't experienced much of the negativity that I've read about. Just one game where our team was winning but one guy ragequit and we had to surrender, and another game where two teammates bickered immaturely while we totally crushed the other team. The rest of the games have been either quiet or friendly enough.

But it seems I've suddenly run into a lot more players on smurf accounts and generally much more skilled players than me after hitting level 9.
people are just extra careful about the negativity because its a pretty impressionable experience.

The game might still be trying to find your matchmaking position - seems like you've been doing well recently to be hitting smurfs at level 9

People have to be careful with autoattacks though, correct? I think even after whatever Riot patched, Corki, for example, will play the missile fire animation for an autoattack, but it will do no damage if you cancel it with a move command too early. Or at least I think this is the case since I think I have not done minion damage when I expected to.
the patch was meant to fix that, you have to be careful sure, but the bug only really happens once every 100 autos or something.

Every once in a while you get people who don't seem like jerks.

Last night there were two enemy junglers that kind of made me feel bad. A Riven was like "you guys didn't leave me anything" after we killed her at red buff and I might have stolen her blue buff later on. And then an Elise jungler and/or her top laner were like "I hate you Sejuani your ganks are so annoying :(" because I kept showing up where they were about to gank and counterganking. My teammates loved it but I felt kind of like I was ruining some little kid's night. Ranked makes us all into cruel people.

Then tonight my teammates in a game were like "everyone please honor sej" "sej team captain" "ty for silver 2" "we like you sej".

(preempting soda cop, yes homeguard is probably a waste of money, but I think in at least a couple of situations I was trying to race back to save a tower or save teammates before they got jumped on...and yes locket may not be the best, but in a couple of situations I might have needed MR but didn't have enough gold for negatron, so I figured I might as well try to build it for the CDR and MR and slight shield)

I suppose I'm due for another big losing streak, but overall I'm still very slowly trending upwards, so I will keep trying.

I'd like to watch one of these live. is that possible in League?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Get rid of the attack speed and make the active do current % health instead of max - basically go back to how it was before it got buffed - I guess? Make it less "just buy this item" and more "okay they're stacking health, BoTRK time". Buff the passive and base AD to compensate, I dunno.

Hurts both his burst and split pushing big time without nerfing him directly.
taking attack speed off botrk just makes it stronger on zed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom