• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

I think people really underestimate the damage he can do if you're getting your passive to proc between each ability. He is also pretty safe with his e + movespeed, his abilities ranges are pretty huge and he has really good waveclear too.
All of that is true, but during laning and mid-game he runs out of mana fast. He can easily be bullied during laning because of these high mana costs, gimping his post-laning potential.

Holy shit she's fucking fast.
Her passive looks decent. Not super above average though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
i played jinx last night. she is a really weird champion and it is hard to grasp what the kit means until you play her.

as it is she has no real burst damage. the Rocket Launcher Q actually feels super weak for being the auto-attack that drains mana. instead jinx's damage comes out from the super high attack speed boost she gets off minigun. if you are in a fight you will always be looking for an opportunity to be using the minigun. there is no way you max q last either, because the attack speed boost is so high. whether it gets maxed before w remains to be seen. e felt like one point wonder.

zap is a very strange skillshot. the wind up time combined with the very low width single target bolt make it hard to hit what you want. i'm not sure how useful it will be to peel for yourself even unless you hit with flame chompers first.

her ultimate is technically global but it doesn't really lend itself well to being something you shoot across the map to snipe people with. instead it both zap and death rocket felt like abilities that were useful for cleaning up targets that were out of attack range but still nearby.

i don't really see the uses for rocket launcher q in most situations outside of wave clearing or poking targets. even using it to poke seems dangerous on the range it puts you into. jinx will probably be someone looking for small skirmishes in team fights where she has a positional advantage. once kills start to get picked up she has the potential to just move around the battle extremely fast which removes some of the limiters of her short range auto.

she is really fucking cool. She's honestly a tremendous amount of fun. Like I said, can't remember the last champ that was just that fun to use. All her abilities, jokes, animations, VO etc. are great.

scy

Seems like it just gives her a guaranteed escape from taking objectives and to make her absolutely crazy in teamfights.

I think I'd have preferred a more damage-based passive for her but, eh, it serves a purpose I suppose.

dimb

i saw dan dinh talking about her q and he's kind of wrong. you can't really build up minigun attack speed and switch over to rocket launcher to make use of that. they don't feel like abilities that play off one another, instead it's more of a situational thing.

rakhir

she is really fucking cool. She's honestly a tremendous amount of fun. Like I said, can't remember the last champ that was just that fun to use. All her abilities, jokes, animations, VO etc. are great.
That last champion that was fun in every aspect was probably Vi, don't you agree?

Snowman

All of that is true, but during laning and mid-game he runs out of mana fast. He can easily be bullied during laning because of these high mana costs, gimping his post-laning potential.

Disagree, try running some mana regen runes on him and just use abilities conservatively, make sure you're getting your passive proc off on them too after nearly every ability and you can out-trade and out-poke in lane pretty easy.

i played jinx last night. she is a really weird champion and it is hard to grasp what the kit means until you play her.

as it is she has no real burst damage. the Rocket Launcher Q actually feels super weak for being the auto-attack that drains mana. instead jinx's damage comes out from the super high attack speed boost she gets off minigun. if you are in a fight you will always be looking for an opportunity to be using the minigun. there is no way you max q last either, because the attack speed boost is so high. whether it gets maxed before w remains to be seen. e felt like one point wonder.

zap is a very strange skillshot. the wind up time combined with the very low width single target bolt make it hard to hit what you want. i'm not sure how useful it will be to peel for yourself even unless you hit with flame chompers first.

her ultimate is technically global but it doesn't really lend itself well to being something you shoot across the map to snipe people with. instead it both zap and death rocket felt like abilities that were useful for cleaning up targets that were out of attack range but still nearby.

i don't really see the uses for rocket launcher q in most situations outside of wave clearing or poking targets. even using it to poke seems dangerous on the range it puts you into. jinx will probably be someone looking for small skirmishes in team fights where she has a positional advantage. once kills start to get picked up she has the potential to just move around the battle extremely fast which removes some of the limiters of her short range auto.

Agree with pretty much all of this.

W and rockets are pretty good cleanup tools. Use the long range and slow on W and the extra attack range and damage on rockets to pick up a kill, and use your passive to chase down people with the insane movement speed.

Also rockets can AoE crit with no damage fall off. So there's that.

She's an incredible cleanup merchant and duelist.

The ult is great for firing into enclosed spaces like dragon pit and baron pit etc.

That last champion that was fun in every aspect was probably Vi, don't you agree?

Yeah, probably. I thought Zac would be that but the novelty wore off. Probably Vi and Draven before her.

scy

i saw dan dinh talking about her q and he's kind of wrong. you can't really build up minigun attack speed and switch over to rocket launcher to make use of that. they don't feel like abilities that play off one another, instead it's more of a situational thing.

Well, it's at least something to utilize when they get from her Minigun range. It's still something to aim for: Using the ASPD for the one Rocket attack at least.

That last champion that was as fun in every aspect was probably Vi, don't you agree?

Zac is probably the last one, I think.

Edit: Darn, guess not :x

Disagree, try running some mana regen runes on him and just use abilities conservatively, make sure you're getting your passive proc off on them too after nearly every ability and you can out-trade and out-poke in lane pretty easy.

Honestly, you give up too much running Mana Regen runes. Just too easy to be punished for that in a lane that has so much mixed damage.

Really, his mana problems aren't that excessive to look for rune/mastery options for them. The upcoming tweaks should be enough for that.

dimb

Well, it's at least something to utilize when they get from her Minigun range. It's still something to aim for: Using the ASPD for the one Rocket attack at least.
i guess, but you are going to lose your stacks and you don't gain much from switching to rocket launcher unless someone is out of your range.

The speed from her passive seems cool, but I really think it could be something better and more useful.
She already has like 4 passives in her Q. They gave that passive to make sure her kit doesn't get overloaded with passive effects.

I hated it at first but it's really, really cool in practice.

Newt

I don't see how you can disagree. Early on he has enough mana for 5-6 abilities. Are you planning on sacrificing armour for mana regen seals?

Snowman

Honestly, you give up too much running Mana Regen runes. Just too easy to be punished for that in a lane that has so much mixed damage.

Really, his mana problems aren't that excessive to look for rune/mastery options for them. The upcoming tweaks should be enough for that.

I copied a runepage sneaky uses on some champions where he takes 5 mana regen glyphs instead of magic resist ones and it's pretty much perfect on Lucian. And I run 21/5/4 on pretty much every adc so there's that too.

Snowman

I don't see how you can disagree. Early on he has enough mana for 5-6 abilities. Are you planning on sacrificing armour for mana regen seals?

Because I've played him quite a lot and find while he definitely does have mana problems, as long as you use his abilities conservatively and well you can generally come out ahead in lane.

Copying ADC pro builds is complicated because a lot of time they'll be considering a 2v1 lane.

You don't need MR if you're up against a melee bruiser, but it's gonna help against agressive supports so they don't kill you.

Boken

Banned
1YjjNeh.png
helloooooo jynz

scy

i guess, but you are going to lose your stacks and you don't gain much from switching to rocket launcher unless someone is out of your range.

Right, you use it when they're leaving your range. Not something to weave into trades or anything.

Edit: Which I now realize is what you were saying Dan Dinh was saying to do. Not sure if that's something to look to do since the stack downtime isn't worth 10% damage in any way that I can see.

I copied a runepage sneaky uses on some champions where he takes 5 mana regen glyphs instead of magic resist ones and it's pretty much perfect on Lucian. And I run 21/5/4 on pretty much every adc so there's that too.

I just can't see giving up the Health for pretty much anything in Utility. From the times I've played him in lane, the mana costs were an annoyance, sure, but I could do well enough in lane without going out of mana.

dimb

Right, you use it when they're leaving your range. Not something to weave into trades or anything.
It feels weird to have that in the kit when you have Zap and Rocket ult to deal with enemies outside of your range. It just seems very situational.

Snowman

Copying ADC pro builds is complicated because a lot of time they'll be considering a 2v1 lane.

You don't need MR if you're up against a melee bruiser, but it's gonna help against agressive supports so they don't kill you.

I get that but I'm pretty sure it works out okay if you run flat MR for the other 4 glyphs. I can see it being pretty bad against something like corki, but I haven't had much trouble as far as I can remember.

like I said, I feel like the use cases for rockets are 1 or 2 long range pokes in lane, and then at the end of a team fight use Zap and rockets or ult to pick up your first kill, then use the massive move speed and minigun or ult to clean up the rest.

Snowman

I just can't see giving up the Health for pretty much anything in Utility. From the times I've played him in lane, the mana costs were an annoyance, sure, but I could do well enough in lane without going out of mana.

The little bit of extra mana regen you get is pretty good on some adcs, you should try it.

Newt

I get that but I'm pretty sure it works out okay if you run flat MR for the other 4 glyphs. I can see it being pretty bad against something like corki, but I haven't had much trouble as far as I can remember.
Sona, Fiddle, Leona and Nami all do a lot of magic damage.

dimb

Well, just get the one auto-attack before the W and Ult.
oh, it is definitely something useful just for the option, but it just feels weird to have the rocket launcher being more like a last resort than something you would want to use much in fights.

scy

oh, it is definitely something useful just for the option, but it just feels weird to have the rocket launcher being more like a last resort than something you would want to use much in fights.

Years of FPS games have ruined the image of the RPG.

Once teamfights start it's a 110% damage critting AoE, though, so I guess it's more of a lategame stance to be used once you have AS from items?

Blizzard

Banned
Wow, a ton of posts on Jinx to catch up on. I thought this was kind of funny reading through everything:

Sounds like she'll spike around 6, 7, 9 area. Part of the reason I see for the BT is because of this, honestly. Let her have the option of staying at long range with early points in Q while remaining relevant damage wise off her W through tAD scaling + all the natural Q ASPD.
Feel like it would just make her ultimately weaker in lane to build a non-Damage item that early, honestly.
With all the movement and ASPD she gets anyway, Shiv just makes more sense. Like, PD is rarely the better choice for basically any ADC honestly.

[...]

Shiv will still ultimately be more damage in the long run, honestly.

Scy, you need to be honest with us, honestly.

Snowman

Sona, Fiddle, Leona and Nami all do a lot of magic damage.

I feel like you're treating me like I'm stupid and just blindly copied this build. I know which supports do magic damage. I was just saying if there was a corki in lane too that's the only time when I could see having less MR being a problem. But I haven't found it to be one in all the time I've been using this set-up so I dunno.

scy

Once teamfights start it's a 110% damage critting AoE, though, so I guess it's more of a lategame stance to be used once you have AS from items?

Not sure how often people are clustered where you're hitting them with that + It's not really the ADCs job to do AoE damage.

Jinx + Runaan's Hurricane = Love?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzjLN3hTFcY

hard to say.

pls no

Edit: And it's not working as he's saying in the video. If it was, Sona would be taking ~620-ish damage per attack.

Edit2: Unless the Runaan's + Q interaction is tagging +10% to the Hurricane bolts damage rather than her AD.

She already has like 4 passives in her Q. They gave that passive to make sure her kit doesn't get overloaded with passive effects.

I hated it at first but it's really, really cool in practice.

Yeah, it's really a matter of power budget. You want a champion's passive to be "cool" and fun, and preferably to offer gameplay interactions, but you don't necessarily always want it to be powerful if the rest of their kit is already "over-budget" for damage. A great example is Diana: her passive is actually budgeted with more power than most champion's active abilities, but only because she loses that damage on having a non-damaging E and a low-damage W and a single-target, relatively low-damage ultimate.

At the moment a lot of Jinx's power budget is obviously being spent on Zap! so I'm curious to see if that gets moved around at all. I would expect, at the very least, for the scaling to be changed to be more level-dependent.

Newt

I feel like you're treating me like I'm stupid and just blindly copied this build. I know which supports do magic damage. I was just saying if there was a corki in lane too that's the only time when I could see having less MR being a problem. But I haven't found it to be one in all the time I've been using this set-up so I dunno.
I'm not trying to come off as treating you as stupid. I listed those champions as a significant problem for you that comes along with ditching all that MR.

Not trying to make this heated, lol.

dravenkata.gif

scy

Scy, you need to be honest with us, honestly.

I qualify everything I say. Rarely do I have sentences without something like that.

Edit: @MR in lane: Do note that it's like ~4% damage taken that is being discussed about. At low levels, this is like maybe 2-3 damage off a hit.

Snowman

I'm not trying to come off as treating you as stupid. I listed those champions as a significant problem for you that comes along with ditching all that MR.

They really aren't though. Like at all.

Edit: Sorry, it's frustrating because I've played hundreds of games now with this set-up and never had much problem with getting hit with too much magic damage.

dimb

the damage boost feels inconsequential. the aoe radius isn't really enough to warrant using it for that. most of the time you just want to burn down whoever is closest to you on and ad carry. once minigun stacks are up you are hitting more than twice as much as you would with the rocket launcher.

Boken

Banned
Not sure how often people are clustered where you're hitting them with that + It's not really the ADCs job to do AoE damage.

pls no

Edit: And it's not working as he's saying in the video. If it was, Sona would be taking ~620-ish damage per attack.

Edit2: Unless the Runaan's + Q interaction is tagging +10% to the Hurricane bolts damage rather than her AD.
I'm on my phone so I can't see anythjnf

It'd be easier to get 3 people on the enemy team to stand together to make the splash more predictable

Somebody get on it, for science

scy

I'm on my phone so I can't see anythjnf

It'd be easier to get 3 people on the enemy team to stand together to make the splash more predictable

Somebody get on it, for science

My queue time keeps jumping up.

Based off dodgy math, I'm looking at being on sometime tomorrow.

Edit: But just from watching it, the particle effect is displayed but if it was dealing 110% of her AD, the explosion would be two shotting the Sona and the minions would all be dying. They're not, however. There's some smaller numbers going about though so it could be 110% of the Hurricane number I suppose.

I don't have a lot of time so I decide to play a bot Dominion game to get my first win.

First game I decide to try Zed. I don't do too well, but our Lucian builds randuins and our Ryze is level 6 and keeps going AFK. We lose.

I play again and pick Riven. I'm first by a country mile, defending and capping two points by myself. The rest of my team sucks though and we lose again.

I finally win in the next game, even though our Garen built Hurricane.

Should've just played SR.

bjaelke

My queue time keeps jumping up.

Based off dodgy math, I'm looking at being on sometime tomorrow.

Edit: But just from watching it, the particle effect is displayed but if it was dealing 110% of her AD, the explosion would be two shotting the Sona and the minions would all be dying. They're not, however. There's some smaller numbers going about though so it could be 110% of the Hurricane number I suppose.

That would make the most sense. Full scaling on all 3 rockets would be fixed before release.

I skipped 2000 spots in the queue but the time still went up.

Boken

Banned
I suggest we just sit in this thread indefinitely for a while, at least until season 4 starts and we can get new info into the OT

puzzle dragons is already at page 240 so it shouldnt be a big deal.

this message is mostly for KAYOS

in other news, here are the groups for the korean WCG qualifiers. OGN will begin their coverage on oct 14
wcg-groups.png

Of course you want the attack speed from the minigun if you're in a situation where you can freely auto-attack with impunity, but if nothing else that Q range is a godsend for late-game sieges/defenses on inhibitor turrets. You basically get to have your cake and eat it too: play like a hyper-carry in open field team fights, and siege like a Trist/Cait in defensive stands. You may not do either one quite as well, but there's a lot of value in being able to do both sufficiently. I know if there's one thing I hate about playing Vayne it's getting stuck in a siege situation and being scarcely able to take safe hits on their turret, or completely unable to contribute to the meaningful defense of my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom