• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend was currently @ Gold I. 97 LP. Took him 4 games to go from 87 to 97. Getting 2 or 3 LP per game.

He lost 3 straight games. Now he is at 50 LP.

I myself was at 93 LP @ Silver I. Lost 5 in a row. Went from 93 all the way down to 67. Won a game then lost 2 more. The last two losses were I believe -19 and -18. Sitting at 29. Won 2 more. Back at 57 or 58.

Fucking brutal.

zkylon

zkylewd
Careful there, you might end up the star of some chronically awful Irish chick lit. There's too much already dude.
eh as long as I don't have to read it

Also Irish women are generally hideous. Just warning you zkylon. We don't have any of that South American flavour over here.
eh, I like redheads. besides the south american flavour is me, I don't need any more :D

My friend was currently @ Gold I. 97 LP. Took him 4 games to go from 87 to 97. Getting 2 or 3 LP per game.

He lost 3 straight games. Now he is at 50 LP.

I myself was at 93 LP @ Silver I. Lost 5 in a row. Went from 93 all the way down to 67. Won a game then lost 2 more. The last two losses were I believe -19 and -18. Sitting at 29. Won 2 more. Back at 57 or 58.

Fucking brutal.
yeah ranked is pretty fucking brutal and the promotion matches don't even leave you at 80 or 90 lp. like I lost the two matches and ended up with 60 lp. just fuck this shit, I'm not bothering anymore climbing that fucking mountain

Ashhong

yeah ranked is pretty fucking brutal and the promotion matches don't even leave you at 80 or 90 lp. like I lost the two matches and ended up with 60 lp. just fuck this shit, I'm not bothering anymore climbing that fucking mountain

Well it makes sense. You lose 2 games, you lose the LP for those 2 losses. It's only really bad for tier promotions imo

I do wish you didn't start at 0 at the next division though.

Shield. You can half the cooldown without increasing the mana cost. An absolute must-have with all the cc currently in the game/bot lane.

Sounds good, that's what I was doing. Only got one game in with her so I wasn't sure. I didn't even bother using W half of the time, is it even useful? She seems mana starved so I dont want to be spamming spells if I don't have to.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well it makes sense. You lose 2 games, you lose the LP for those 2 losses. It's only really bad for tier promotions imo

I do wish you didn't start at 0 at the next division though.
it's just terribly disheartening to have to win like 6 or 7 matches in a row to even get to a promotion match and then being set back so much.

all the while getting demoted is just a 3 or 4 bad game streak and you're out.

now I'm at like 40 or 30 lp and I just barely even feel like trying.

it's just terribly disheartening to have to win like 6 or 7 matches in a row to even get to a promotion match and then being set back so much.

all the while getting demoted is just a 3 or 4 bad game streak and you're out.

now I'm at like 40 or 30 lp and I just barely even feel like trying.

I know man, it is rough. But I really want Gold V. This stupid MMR lol. Eventually it will all balance out but how long will that take? Too long.

zkylon

zkylewd
to be honest the reality is that ranked just isn't for me.

ranked is for people that are good at carrying games by themselves and that play champions that are like that, and for people that really don't mind playing with strangers.

people like that no matter if they get bad streaks, if they're good enough they'll eventually rise up and get to gold or better.

that's not me, though, I'll never rage on anyone but I'll get down on myself easily, and just don't have the spirit to power through it.

I'd rather just play normals with my friends and tryhard there.

zkylon

zkylewd
You'll get there man. Rank is rage inducing but it makes the game have purpose to me. Normals are cool but there's no pressure and I can just fuck around. Ranked is for serious time.
my problem with that is that ranked actually is not serious at all. people just do whatever, often fuck each other over, throw for no reason, etc.

I really wish I could get the fifth player for my team, then I'd play ranked, but I'm tired of randoms and their quests for wasting my time and patience and faith in humanity.

also elementz vlog is depressing lol

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You'll get there man. Rank is rage inducing but it makes the game have purpose to me. Normals are cool but there's no pressure and I can just fuck around. Ranked is for serious time.

Haha I don't know if I'll ever get there. I play LoL to relax, and having a persistent score that keeps track of how well I'm doing would probably sap any inkling of fun I'm having in a game. I'd much rather just play with a bunch of people I know and play any random character that I enjoy.

Speaking of which, we should have some GAF in-house games. I think those would be great for blowing off some steam.

brian!

Saint's response to hellementz is pretty typical, like this whole discourse of "it's your job" coupled with "the way the job is done is in x way" has never been a good thing imo. hellementz will probably get replaced at some point because he doesn't fit that particular mode. people are jumping on him because he is showing weakness (actual emotion).

but I like this question being brought up, like who benefits from e-sports and who benefits from this stress/prison environment that seems necessary to become valorized in LCS. obviously riot mainly benefits, which is interesting considering pro-lol seems to have become "anti-fun" for those involved. it gives the lcs even more sinister vibes, even when considering how much of a farce it already is (teams getting media trained, casters in suits, etc.) but probably the most sinister thing is how fast all these things are being implemented and how fast people become acclimated to something essentially kind of weird

but like mcds im lovin it, I like people looking at Deman and saying wow he cursed such a pure showing of emotion and looking at hellementz and saying wow this emotion is not something I usually see so explicitly and people looking at saint saying he's right, some things dont fit in.

this is probably what a job interview w/ doublelift post e-sports would actually look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKcgXCaxXqw

Kacar

Hec says he has 80% win-rate, Ryze says he will counter the ahri mid.

First 2 hec ganks result in 2 Ahri double kills.

Game is over at 20 mins when I'm 5/1 top. Ahri finished 14/1 by 20 mins.

scy

With that said, I've started to pick up Sivir since she is supposed to be a counter to Cait who keeps getting picked in ranked, and she's really fun to use

I honestly wouldn't consider Sivir a counter to Caitlyn unless it's versus one that just feeds you Mana with Traps and such. She still has the superior range so she can, and should, bully you around with auto-attacks alone.

Speaking of which, we should have some GAF in-house games. I think those would be great for blowing off some steam.

The problem with GAF in-house games is not everyone is on the same page for them. Half the people wanting to try to win and the other half just not giving a fuck. Just ends up not working well in the end.

Which is a shame. We were talking about it last night that it'd be nice to have in-house games to play against each other as real practice sort of games. We just ARAM a lot instead and that's not as helpful.

to be honest the reality is that ranked just isn't for me.

ranked is for people that are good at carrying games by themselves and that play champions that are like that, and for people that really don't mind playing with strangers.

people like that no matter if they get bad streaks, if they're good enough they'll eventually rise up and get to gold or better.

that's not me, though, I'll never rage on anyone but I'll get down on myself easily, and just don't have the spirit to power through it.

I'd rather just play normals with my friends and tryhard there.

Hey man, I'm grinding my way up by playing support only.

I will get Plat before the end of season 3!

zkylon

zkylewd
Saint's response to hellementz is pretty typical, like this whole discourse of "it's your job" coupled with "the way the job is done is in x way" has never been a good thing imo. hellementz will probably get replaced at some point because he doesn't fit that particular mode. people are jumping on him because he is showing weakness (actual emotion).

but I like this question being brought up, like who benefits from e-sports and who benefits from this stress/prison environment that seems necessary to become valorized in LCS. obviously riot mainly benefits, which is interesting considering pro-lol seems to have become "anti-fun" for those involved. it gives the lcs even more sinister vibes, even when considering how much of a farce it already is (teams getting media trained, casters in suits, etc.) but probably the most sinister thing is how fast all these things are being implemented and how fast people become acclimated to something essentially kind of weird

but like mcds im lovin it, I like people looking at Deman and saying wow he cursed such a pure showing of emotion and looking at hellementz and saying wow this emotion is not something I usually see so explicitly and people looking at saint saying he's right, some things dont fit in.

this is probably what a job interview w/ doublelift post e-sports would actually look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKcgXCaxXqw
I dunno, if things are as saint says then the guy is really slacking off and not putting the work. elementz is not even that bad, that sona match was painful to watch but other than that he's there in the teamfights doing what he has to.

curse is a really weird team, none of the individual styles of the players seem to match the others, except voy and saint, I guess.

still it's very shitty to a) shit on your teammates behind their back, and b) go whine on reddit about it. just sort it out in private and then film it and sell it to gamespot like tsm does

Someone else from Ireland on LoLGAF? I never knew.

I was on West, but the mates I play with had been playing since before the server split and had free transfers. they got pissed off with West and switched. I got bored playing on my lonesome.

Ah right. Makes sense. Well, I am only new to be fair, started posting here in early March? I think. Maybe mid-February. I know some Irish GAFers all right, but none post in this thread. I play with Dobkeratops and a couple of others semi-regularly.

And it's the same server farm, same ping, so the connection is no different. Just the people. My God, the people... :/

I didn't know it was the same hardware. Derps. >.< I've heard that about the community there, although realising now that probably a lot of those anecdotes are from you...

I always thought Ireland was home to attractive, feisty redheads.

Technically it is. But they're few and far between, and getting rarer because red hair and associated traits is a recessive thing genetically. (Or so we keep hearing - "oh no the redheads are disappearing". It's as though they're trying to berate us all into being red-haired and only having babies with other red-haired people.)

eh as long as I don't have to read it

eh, I like redheads. besides the south american flavour is me, I don't need any more :D

Damn youuu and your swarth!

Kacar

I'm not just saying hooks, I'm talking lantern ganks and escapes, team wide shield every what 10 secs in teamfights, also the ulti. Just mega mega utility.

Also all it takes is a little mistake and you can be hooked, he doesnt have to hit every one in lane and it is easily dodgable, but when he does your locked down for 3 secs at least.

zkylon

zkylewd
he brings like ten times as much utility as blitz

literally blitz is his hook, that's about it.

thresh is the hook, the lantern to save or assist ganks, the team wide shield for towerdiving and teamfights, a massive aoe slow and a stun-ish displacement thing that can hit many people.

he's also ranged so he can actually deal damage (a lot, actually) and annoy in lane, doesn't have blitz' mana issues, gets defenses for free so the more the game extends the tankier he gets.

he's so stupidly op.

garath

The problem with GAF in-house games is not everyone is on the same page for them. Half the people wanting to try to win and the other half just not giving a fuck. Just ends up not working well in the end.

Which is a shame. We were talking about it last night that it'd be nice to have in-house games to play against each other as real practice sort of games. We just ARAM a lot instead and that's not as helpful.

I'd play an in-house. I only have significant time on Fridays though :(

he brings like ten times as much utility as blitz

literally blitz is his hook, that's about it.

thresh is the hook, the lantern to save or assist ganks, the team wide shield for towerdiving and teamfights, a massive aoe slow and a stun-ish displacement thing that can hit many people.

he's also ranged so he can actually deal damage (a lot, actually) and annoy in lane, doesn't have blitz' mana issues, gets defenses for free so the more the game extends the tankier he gets.

he's so stupidly op.

Blitz is a lot easier to play and a lot more silver level players play Blitz over Thresh. I ban Blitz over thresh just because of the quality of players I'm against.

Einbroch

Banned
Blitz, in my opinion, is so much better than Thresh at low level play. People don't know where to stand and people don't know what the lantern does. Hell, even Thresh players don't know how to play him that well at low levels. Do you activate Q again to jump in, throwing a lantern before you do so you can bring a teammate with you? Save that E for an ult so you can knock someone into it, maybe twice? Lantern flash combo takes amazing coordination. Just little intricacies like this make him have a much higher skill ceiling.

Blitz? Queue up the E, grab, pop-up, silence. There's no variation to his kit. Thresh is much more deadly in skilled hands, but at Silver (I'd argue Gold) and below? Blitz is so much stronger.

garath

New sale is up.

Galio 440rp
Blitz 395rp
Volibear 487rp

Northern Front Swain 375rp
Hyena Warwick 387rp
Gothic Orianna 260rp

No! Where's my Hecarim sale? Dammit Riot. They're taunting me with Volibear. I don't want to play boring bear.

Blitz, in my opinion, is so much better than Thresh at low level play. People don't know where to stand and people don't know what the lantern does. Hell, even Thresh players don't know how to play him that well at low levels. Do you activate Q again to jump in, throwing a lantern before you do so you can bring a teammate with you? Save that E for an ult so you can knock someone into it, maybe twice? Lantern flash combo takes amazing coordination. Just little intricacies like this make him have a much higher skill ceiling.

Blitz? Queue up the E, grab, pop-up, silence. There's no variation to his kit. Thresh is much more deadly in skilled hands, but at Silver (I'd argue Gold) and below? Blitz is so much stronger.

I agree with you 100%. I'm not afraid of thresh in high silver/low Gold. You'll face 1 in 20 great Thresh players that somehow are silver despite being that good. Blitz is simple mode and requires a lot less risk early game. Blitz doesn't all-in to do the CC, he pulls. There's a pretty big difference in the hands of a silver player.

mercviper

I honestly wouldn't consider Sivir a counter to Caitlyn unless it's versus one that just feeds you Mana with Traps and such. She still has the superior range so she can, and should, bully you around with auto-attacks alone.

I think the other problem with in-house is we dont have 2 consistent teams set up. whats the point of practicing a strat if everyone who learns it rotates out next game?

zkylon

zkylewd
anyone knows if hecarim is suddenly popular or something? like he's been a pick or ban on like 80% of my last 15 matches or so.

Blitz is a lot easier to play and a lot more silver level players play Blitz over Thresh. I ban Blitz over thresh just because of the quality of players I'm against.
that's alright, I personally don't mind blitz so much but it all depends on how comfortable you are against him

it doesn't really take much effort to click on the damn lantern, that's literally all the intricacies there is to him.

New sale is up.

Galio 440rp
Blitz 395rp
Volibear 487rp

Northern Front Swain 375rp
Hyena Warwick 387rp
Gothic Orianna 260rp
shitty skins :/

Plus we still have that problem in ARAM, because even less people take it seriously, while some people are trying.

Also in my experience, there's usually a disparity in skill and experience. To get ten people together, we're going to have someone with 300 wins.

Roles are frustrating too.

Einbroch

Banned
it doesn't really take much effort to click on the damn lantern, that's literally all the intricacies there is to him.

Tell that to all my teammates who dive in under the turret then don't click the lantern, ever.

Seriously, it's like they're all stupid. I even have to tell my friends over Skype "CLICK THE LANTERN" and they're always like "Oh shit, sorry, forgot".

I don't know if it's because it's such a foreign concept in this game or what, people just don't click it. Ever. It reminds me of a spell from WoW, Beacon of Light. When cast, put down a beacon that when clicked, healed a TON. Best heal in the game. But people wouldn't click it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Tell that to all my teammates who dive in under the turret then don't click the lantern, ever.

Seriously, it's like they're all stupid. I even have to tell my friends over Skype "CLICK THE LANTERN" and they're always like "Oh shit, sorry, forgot".

I don't know if it's because it's such a foreign concept in this game or what, people just don't click it. Ever. It reminds me of a spell from WoW, Beacon of Light. When cast, put down a beacon that when clicked, healed a TON. Best heal in the game. But people wouldn't click it.
eh, it's new, I had to wire my brain to remember it, and sometimes it's like zhonya's, I just forget, but it's not that hard.

and if you're playing with a premade on skype it's just ridiculous not to be able to coordinate dives or ganks with it.

Einbroch

Banned
eh, it's new, I had to wire my brain to remember it, and sometimes it's like zhonya's, I just forget, but it's not that hard.

and if you're playing with a premade on skype it's just ridiculous not to be able to coordinate dives or ganks with it.

People are dumb. What can I say. I'm only now getting to the point (and I play Thresh almost exclusively with my friends when we premade) where I can rely on them to understand what the lantern does.

garath

Plus we still have that problem in ARAM, because even less people take it seriously, while some people are trying.

Also in my experience, there's usually a disparity in skill and experience. To get ten people together, we're going to have someone with 300 wins.

I have 300 normal wins (well like 290 something) :)

zkylon

zkylewd
People are dumb. What can I say. I'm only now getting to the point (and I play Thresh almost exclusively with my friends when we premade) where I can rely on them to understand what the lantern does.
just drill them to use it. and tell them to use it. as adc/apc you're thinking on the intricate minutiae of right clicking/facerolling so it's easy to tunnel vision into those things.

yeah I appreciate the invites to aram but I'm tired of getting stomped by the A team all going to one side

fucking scy can play like 800 different champions

bakeray

just drill them to use it. and tell them to use it. as adc/apc you're thinking on the intricate minutiae of right clicking/facerolling so it's easy to tunnel vision into those things.
There's also a lot of collision issues with it, if someone is standing on it, or if there is a minion near by a lot of times i'll die diving while trying to click on the thing and I can't cus it's blocked by another object.

zkylon

zkylewd
There's also a lot of collision issues with it, if someone is standing on it, or if there is a minion near by a lot of times i'll die diving while trying to click on the thing and I can't cus it's blocked by another object.
that's counterplay afaik?

Ocho

Problem with Blitz over Thresh, is that one hook can win the game. Thresh has that, but not to the extent of Blitz'. Also, his AOE silence is a secure kill.

In gold elo, I'd rather lane Thresh over Blitz. Thresh lantern ganks are cool, true, but they are also easy to predict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom