• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT9| Stealing Abilities From Inferior MOBAs since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomShoe

Banned
Because when going against Riven in a melee meta you'll pick something equally dumb.

Fuck Riven. She actually made me pick up Gnar as my new main.

Gnar is so good vs. Riven, I haven't lost a match vs. her yet. Just E away when she tries to come at you and poke with QW until she wastes her mobility. The only other option to approach is to flash in, but who would be bad enough to get caught by that? Gnar is just good in general. Brutalizer + Sunfire + SV = One tanky mofo. I always like to build into Ghostblade with him because of the attack speed boost to proc my passive and the armor pen because Gnar doesn't AD scale as well.

Tizoc

Fuck Riven. She actually made me pick up Gnar as my new main.

Gnar is so good vs. Riven, I haven't lost a match vs. her yet. Just E away when she tries to come at you and poke with QW until she wastes her mobility. The only other option to approach is to flash in, but who would be bad enough to get caught by that? Gnar is just good in general. Brutalizer + Sunfire + SV = One tanky mofo. I always like to build into Ghostblade with him because of the attack speed boost to proc my passive and the armor pen because Gnar doesn't AD scale as well.

Shouldn't you build Trinity as his 2nd item or is better to tank up first?

TomShoe

Banned
Shouldn't you build Trinity as his 2nd item or is better to tank up first?

I did build trinity as like my 4th after boots, but 3800 was too much gold for what it offered. Brutalizer -> Ghostblade (or LW) helps Gnar scale to mid late game much faster since it's cheaper and most of my offense in small skirmishes as Mini Gnar will be to kite and proc my passive as many times as possible.

I still get Trinity if I'm really fed, but Ghostblade is probably the safer option.

Tizoc

Because when going against Riven in a melee meta you'll pick something equally dumb.

Like what exactly? I play mainly team builder and more often than not I go up against Rivens.

full tank with brutalizer is the strongest build.
Interesting, I've mainly gone Youmuu>Trinity>Tank, but I'll try that out. Should I just go brut and tank up or should Finish youmuu first?

how does riven give any toplaner right now a hard time lol

Well what's the suggested strategy to dealing with her in general?

TomShoe

Banned
Like what exactly? I play mainly team builder and more often than not I go up against Rivens.

Interesting, I've mainly gone Youmuu>Trinity>Tank, but I'll try that out. Should I just go brut and tank up or should Finish youmuu first?

Well what's the suggested strategy to dealing with her in general?

Just don't let her get her combo off on you and you're golden.

I normally build Brutalizer <-> Sunfire <-> SV(Depends on if I'm behind or not and whether the opponent is AD or AP, boots before 3rd item) -> Mercs <-> Ghostblade -> Randuins <-> Warmog's

Tizoc

Just don't let her get her combo off on you and you're golden.

I normally build Brutalizer <-> Sunfire <-> SV(Depends on if I'm behind or not and whether the opponent is AD or AP, boots before 3rd item) -> Mercs <-> Ghostblade -> Randuins <-> Warmog's

Interesting, I've gone an AD+Tank hybrid, not necessarily a pure tank build. Wouldn't BoRK as his last attack item be good though so it gives his Mega form some much needed atk spd?

drawkcaB

what would those changes exactly accomplish?

Guaranteed damage on activation of W without giving Nautilus's early game ganks more power. Also avoids Maokai'ing him - putting him top lane and then receiving subsequent nerfs that hurt his jungling, or some or such unintended consequence (not that top Naut wouldn't be fun, it probably would).

Jeff-DSA said:
Yes, it is. It's easily the worst role right now.

I dunno, I enjoy it now that I've gotten more used to teleport. Sion, yo. I find it less frustrating than jungling and the rewards seem more in tune with my expectations.

Newt

Guaranteed damage on activation of W without giving Nautilus's early game ganks more power. Also avoids Maokai'ing him - putting him top lane and then receiving subsequent nerfs that hurt his jungling, or some or such unintended consequence (not that top Naut wouldn't be fun, it probably would).

I dunno, I enjoy it now that I've gotten more used to teleport. Sion, yo. I find it less frustrating than jungling and the rewards seem more in tune with my expectations.
It's just a the concentration of toxic champions like Gnar and Liss that don't have to take any risks.

TomShoe

Banned
Interesting, I've gone an AD+Tank hybrid, not necessarily a pure tank build. Wouldn't BoRK as his last attack item be good though so it gives his Mega form some much needed atk spd?

Again, that's up to you. Ghostblade's active gives +40% attack speed and +20% movespeed for 6 seconds, good for chasedowns combined with Gnar's slow and jump. I never really considered his attack speed that much as mega Gnar considering a lot of his damage is dealt with his ult and QW since his AD doesn't scale well. I rely on armor pen for most damage. I'd rather go with Ghostblade since it's cheaper and it has armor pen for tank busting and attack/movement speed buffs for going after carries.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I reinstalled LoL a few days ago but haven't been able to play any games due to an error that I can't connect to the server. Not sure what the issue is. I can spectate games fine, but when I queue up for a game and lock in my champion the screen goes black and gets stuck in a loop of trying to connect to Riot's servers. Anyone know what the issue is? I'm on Windows 8.1.

Newt

I reinstalled LoL a few days ago but haven't been able to play any games due to an error that I can't connect to the server. Not sure what the issue is. I can spectate games fine, but when I queue up for a game and lock in my champion the screen goes black and gets stuck in a loop of trying to connect to Riot's servers. Anyone know what the issue is? I'm on Windows 8.1.
I've had the same issue, but it fixed itself. Try repairing your client.

Tizoc

AD Naut...
http://www.twitch.tv/oyunbrostv
He got killed by Fiora

Again, that's up to you. Ghostblade's active gives +40% attack speed and +20% movespeed for 6 seconds, good for chasedowns combined with Gnar's slow and jump. I never really considered his attack speed that much as mega Gnar considering a lot of his damage is dealt with his ult and QW since his AD doesn't scale well. I rely on armor pen for most damage. I'd rather go with Ghostblade since it's cheaper and it has armor pen for tank busting and attack/movement speed buffs for going after carries.

Cool, thanks for the info.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ori confirmed for backup-dancer tier.

huh?

i can't imagine how much sanity it cost to grind that much ip.
you can't really grind in league, it's just slowly buying them thru normal play

i have never payed for a single champion either

i see. that's true that right now if u buff someone too much you risk them turning into top laners

Riven is a pretty damn shitty solo q pick nowadays though.

In the Sona Lichbane game last night we had a first pick Fiora top. The other team countered with Riven. Even with a bunch of ganks our Fiora still got fed pretty hard.

lQ0fofp.png

Bronze V Sona.

Tizoc

In the Sona Lichbane game last night we had a first pick Fiora top. The other team countered with Riven. Even with a bunch of ganks our Fiora still got fed pretty hard.

lQ0fofp.png

Bronze V Sona.

This is me in fucking reverse.
I mean I get the novelty of going AP on Sona, nobody wants to be this utility fellow that just heals people and does 0 dmg.

Its actually extremely viable considering in his minignar form. It almost makes him a hyper carry.

Wait, Ghostblade on Gnar? That seems...weird.

I was suggested that on GAF itself, and I've been rushing it first item for a long time whenever I am Top Gnar.

Bacon

I don't understand why ranged top laners haven't always been in meta? Don't they naturally counter nearly any melee top laner?

Fiora is pretty rough for Riven.

I don't know top lane matchups well but our Fiora was saying Riven should be able to win, so I dunno.

32 minute sightstone rush op

That and the Aegis only came after points where it looked like we were losing and I said "you know we might have a chance if someone besides me would ward" or "you know what would help? if we had like an Aegis of the Legion or an Ardent Censor".

I don't understand why ranged top laners haven't always been in meta? Don't they naturally counter nearly any melee top laner?

In the old GP5 item days it used to be easier for "tanky dps" champs to mass up on GP5 items so they could out sustain ranged heroes while gaining more gold passively. Plus like everyone had a gap closer it felt like so your range didn't mean shit.

zkylon

zkylewd
I mean I get the novelty of going AP on Sona, nobody wants to be this utility fellow that just heals people and does 0 dmg.

iSXEJ9b5bS3Vc.gif

well, the best ranged top laners right now are relatively recent like gnar and lizzy, or received changes that made them better as solo laners like lulu.

not just any ranged champion is played top lane, they usually have to have a pretty decent escape since they're gonna be overextending so hard. you can't like play ori top or whatever

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Yea! That Janna champ is so worthless, probably has a terrible win rate too.

Bacon

Yea! That Janna champ is so worthless, probably has a terrible win rate too.

I think he means more that a lot of people don't like playing champs who don't get the glory of kills and stuff. No one in their right mind would call janna worthless

zkylon

zkylewd
I think he means more that a lot of people don't like playing champs who don't get the glory of kills and stuff. No one in their right mind would call janna worthless
don't play support then?

why would anyone play support then complain about not getting kills -__-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom