• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT9| Stealing Abilities From Inferior MOBAs since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Of course, the one fucking ranked game me and my team are doing pretty damn well is the one where the EUW server shits itself and now we're stuck with a firewall error and at best will get a loss prevented.

The previous losses? Perfect service.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with this garbage.

Second Ekko game

MmtRZRd.jpg

This is probably my favourite champion in a long time. So much fun. Ezreal is annoying to lane against. Hard to catch him in the sphere for a stun cos he just uses Arcane Shift.

Jeff-DSA

Second Ekko game

MmtRZRd.jpg

This is probably my favourite champion in a long time. So much fun. Ezreal is annoying to lane against. Hard to catch him in the sphere for a stun cos he just uses Arcane Shift.

I played him last night and wrecked house. I think that his burst is stupid strong (like LeBlanc's is), but his skills are harder to land than hers or many other big bursters. To land the W, it's pretty tough, and his Q can be avoided much like Ahri's orb. He's super strong right now because people don't know what they're doing against him, but I think he'll settle in just fine. Maybe some minor scaling nerfs, but if they dodge your abilities, you can't do much.

Ekko's E lets you take down towers and inhibitors way too fast though. That's straight silly how quickly you can tear through a base in the late game.

Nev

Banned
Of course, the one fucking ranked game me and my team are doing pretty damn well is the one where the EUW server shits itself and now we're stuck with a firewall error and at best will get a loss prevented.

The previous losses? Perfect service.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with this garbage.

The salt is real tho.

If you get a bugsplat you won't reconnect unless you restart the client, at least that's how it is for me. It's garbage that you're forced to do that anyways. 600m $ a year; can't make a working client. Better release new Renekton/Irelia/Lee Sin skins.

The salt is real tho.

If you get a bugsplat you won't reconnect unless you restart the client, at least that's how it is for me. It's garbage that you're forced to do that anyways. 600m $ a year; can't make a working client. Better release new Renekton/Irelia/Lee Sin skins.

it wasn't the servers, he got drophacked.

xezuru

Working on getting IP for my next character, when it comes to champs I actually want to use Mid/Jungle/ADC are hurtin.

When it comes to ranked carry / fun ratio what do you guys recommend?
Lookin at: Nautilus, Lucien, Ekko, Quinn(lol), Olaf????
Mid is probably hurting most, since most AP's seem boring to me until super high IP range investment.

Only champs I currently like playing out of my small pool is pretty much:
Riven huehuehue
, Irelia, Leona, Zac-ish, Kalista, Gragas, Ezreal (used to really like him but not this split, I hate blue tear builds.)
No idea how to play Elise now, way back when I did play her she was braindead fun.

Remember when you had to worry about people invading jungle at the start of a game? You used to have to be nervous when you went to your second buff because lee could be there waiting to kill you?

So glad those days are mostly over. Someone invaded in a game I played the other day and I was just like jesus who does that what season is this.

Jeff-DSA

Remember when you had to worry about people invading jungle at the start of a game? You used to have to be nervous when you went to your second buff because lee could be there waiting to kill you?

So glad those days are mostly over. Someone invaded in a game I played the other day and I was just like jesus who does that what season is this.

Who were you jungling with? Certain junglers are still good to invade early.

Bacon

Yeah, depends on matchups but for the most part it's not much of a concern anymore

I hope they don't butcher Ekko. Like he's definitely a bit overtuned, and some of it is people not knowing how to play against him, but he's so much fun to play that I hope he's at least viable after whatever nerfs they do. I really don't want to see him Yasuo'd.

Jeff-DSA

I hope they don't butcher Ekko. Like he's definitely a bit overtuned, and some of it is people not knowing how to play against him, but he's so much fun to play that I hope he's at least viable after whatever nerfs they do. I really don't want to see him Yasuo'd.

They probably will tune him down a bit, but I hope they at least wait long enough to let people figure out how to deal with him. He actually has tons of counterplay options, but people are just going to whine about his burst.

Who were you jungling with? Certain junglers are still good to invade early.

I was actually supporting, but it was a full team invade before buffs spawned. It's not like it changed the game but it was just a mild annoyance.

edit: just checked champion.gg and noticed that lucian has the lowest winrate for ADCs. Is he really that bad now?

Jeff-DSA

edit: just checked champion.gg and noticed that lucian has the lowest winrate for ADCs. Is he really that bad now?

That surprises me, actually. Miss Fortune is in such a bad spot that I don't know how she's winning at a higher rate. I played Lucian a few times lately and he felt fine.

xezuru

Putting balance numbers aside for the actual balancers, I would tone down the Ult healing to half at least, it's ridiculous to get that much AoE damage on something that has (potential) zero committal (worded it wrong but you probably get it), and I would make the stun area always be visible when in the area like shaco jump, the potential to stun a huge area for nothing is way too high.

Jeff-DSA

Putting balance numbers aside for the actual balancers, I would tone down the Ult healing to half at least, it's ridiculous to get that much AoE damage on something that has (potential) zero committal (worded it wrong but you probably get it), and I would make the stun area always be visible when in the area like shaco jump, the potential to stun a huge area for nothing is way too high.

How about instead of a heal he gets a shield for the damage taken during that time? The stun is fine, it's pretty hard to land already.

garath

They will tune his numbers but I doubt they'll do anything like that to the actual kit. The kit is creative and fun.

You're a little backwards on the ult. zero commitment? If he wants to land it, it's literally complete commitment. It won't hit anyone if he's using it as an escape. If he's using it to nuke a group he's a) appearing in the middle of them with no more ult and b) it's hugely telegraphed. The enemies can literally watch his shadow move onto them.

The stun area is large but it is a THREE second delay. That's massive. AND he has to be in it when it hits.

Hopefully they won't touch him for awhile. He has a lot of counterplay that people obviously aren't working with yet.

Einbroch

Banned
Sorry, Ekko's kit is just unreal. He's gonna get Yasuo'd. You simply cannot have that much CC with that much damage and mobility. He's LB on steroids.

A passive that scales to absurd damage, a slow, another slow or stun, a double dash, a blink/shield/damage.

I can't wait, either. Super unfun to play against.

Jeff-DSA

On the other hand, Ekko is in big trouble if he gets CC'd. He simply can't survive it. And unlike Yasuo, he doesn't have a good way of dealing with ranged poke in lane besides just trying to constantly win trades. It's not easy to farm with him in the first few levels.

xezuru

The size/vision does matter for the stun, regardless of the three second delay, it's an insane zoning tool for objectives, the vision change doesn't change it that much, it just prevents situations like a Baron steal, it's hard to counterplay a stun that reach the whole pit that you only see at last second. Ekko as he is probably has the most options around baron than I can think of a champ, so that's pretty cool.

Blizzard

Banned
Sure, aram is for fun and relaxed games, but I'm baffled when people do really bad builds and answer "it's fun" when you ask about it. What's the fun in buying useless stats? It's like all those ashe and varus players that build tear; you're not mana constrained, why do you think it's more fun to deal less damage?

I won't get mad at an aram though.
ARAM is pretty much the only PVP situation where I feel like I can try crazy dumb builds if I want to. 20 minutes is minor, and it's nice to do it against humans instead of bots. It's also not a balanced mode as far as I know, so I'm not super worried about that.

If I were playing in a hardcore premade ARAM group then I'd try to do something optimal, but I feel like that defeat the point of ARAM a little bit.

garath

The size/vision does matter for the stun, regardless of the three second delay, it's an insane zoning tool for objectives, the vision change doesn't change it that much, it just prevents situations like a Baron steal, it's hard to counterplay a stun that reach the whole pit that you only see at last second. Ekko as he is not probably has the most options around baron than I can think of a champ.

Ziggs
Bard
Braum
Gragas
Hecarim
Lissandra
Rumble

Lots of champs have ranged abilities that can cover majority of the baron/dragon pit with CC and/or damage. Some are even instant! His range on the stun isn't even that big. If you're doing baron with Ekko up and don't have wards then that's that.

I'm not trying to say the guy is perfect or anything but we're acting like he has no counterplay to this kit. I strongly believe some numbers will be tuned but let's stop talking about gutting intelligent, highly mechanical champs pls. The stun is a good example. If you are going to add more vision to it, then you need to reduce the amount of time to fire. It takes quite a bit of prediction to use it on anything that's not a stationary target.

I agree with garath.

Ekko is probably overtuned numbers wise but it takes skill to play him and his kit has a lot of counterplay, a lot of which will come to light even more once people figure out how to play him.

Blizzard

Banned
It took 284 games to do it this season, but I'm finally at 50% wins again in ranked. op.gg says I've won 15 of my last 20 ranked games, but climbing is still very slow with 17 LP gains due to my low MMR.

Nekofrog

Banned
it's probably pretty tough to balance a champion that has:

a dash and a blink on one ability
movement speed buff
time rewind teleportation

probably best not to give one champion all that stuff

garath

Nail. Hammer. Head.

Almost as bad as acting like he has tons.

I dunno man. Every example that's been posted so far (video, text example, etc) is hugely telegraphed and people either : don't understand what Ekko does or don't respect what he can do i.e. late game no MR, stand in his shadow, group up in a pit with an Ekko within range, etc.

drawkcaB

it's probably pretty tough to balance a champion that has:

a dash and a blink on one ability
movement speed buff
time rewind teleportation

probably best not to give one champion all that stuff

It's fine to give a champion that stuff, particularly if you want to try your hand at a utility assassin, but despite what Riot said, neither Ekko nor the Ashe rework suffer from lack of damage to balance it all out. I'm always on the lookout for a utility heavy champion in my off-roles because that's what I'm comfortable with, but there's no point in buying him knowing he's probably months out from being in the right spot.

Ekko's potential as a counter initiator on the defensive side of a siege is absolutely disgusting. Makes Zyra look like a complete chump. Such counter play...

I dunno man. Every example that's been posted so far (video, text example, etc) is hugely telegraphed and people either : don't understand what Ekko does or don't respect what he can do i.e. late game no MR, stand in his shadow, group up in a pit with an Ekko within range, etc.

I don't go by hand selected gifs. I go by what I've seen in the roughly eight plat+ matches I've spectated with Ekko. He doesn't ooze counter play like lots of you claim, he can position himself and his abilities into lose/lose situations for his opponents. He's actually quite safe.

wiki said:
Enemies do not gain vision of the target area until the last 0.5 seconds.

So much counterplay.

wiki said:
and is slowed by 40 / 50 / 60 / 70 / 80% for 2 / 2.5 / 3 seconds[...]Ekko also gains bonus movement speed equal in strength and duration to the slow .

I said dat counterplay!

Jeff-DSA

It's hard to hit the stun. It is. Not only do you have have a long cast time, they can see it for half a second to react. On top of that, you have to get into the bubble to trigger the stun so even if you're using it to set something up in a team fight, you have to be on top of the other team. It's all a bit dangerous.

I do think that his ult does too much damage though. Being able to ult back to a couple of pursuing enemies and 100-0 them when you're below half health is a little silly.

Speaking of Ekko, which is a better 2nd item: Hourglass or Lich Bane?

What are you building first? Luden's? I would actually go Lich Bane first or at least get the Sheen before Luden's. My final build on him last night in the two I played went Sheen > boots > Lich Bane > finish Sorc's boots > Luden's > Rabadon's > Zhonya's > Morello's (but I think Abyssal should work well too). It may not be the best build, but man, I was dealing sick damage.

Tizoc

It's hard to hit the stun. It is. Not only do you have have a long cast time, they can see it for half a second to react. On top of that, you have to get into the bubble to trigger the stun so even if you're using it to set something up in a team fight, you have to be on top of the other team. It's all a bit dangerous.

I do think that his ult does too much damage though. Being able to ult back to a couple of pursuing enemies and 100-0 them when you're below half health is a little silly.

How often would you the opportunity to ult and damage enemies even come up?
I've only ever seen his ult used for escapes so far :p

garath

It's fine to give a champion that stuff, particularly if you want to try your hand at a utility assassin, but despite what Riot said, neither Ekko nor the Ashe rework suffer from lack of damage to balance it all out. I'm always on the lookout for a utility heavy champion in my off-roles because that's what I'm comfortable with, but there's no point in buying him knowing he's probably months out from being in the right spot.

Ekko's potential as a counter initiator on the defensive side of a siege is absolutely disgusting. Makes Zyra look like a complete chump. Such counter play...

I don't go by hand selected gifs. I go by what I've seen in the roughly eight plat+ matches I've spectated with Ekko. He doesn't ooze counter play like lots of you claim, he can position himself and his abilities into lose/lose situations for his opponents. He's actually quite safe.

So much counterplay.

I said dat counterplay!

3 seconds is how long it takes to fire. I mean, it's potent but short of people standing still, it's going to be a challenge to land it. I understand your anti-siege comment but what exactly is a slow going to do to break a siege of a stronger team? Landing the stun will be more important but that'll put him right in the middle of it all. Teams will probably have to avoid grouping up in the bubble diameter outside of a turret. I mean, it's big but it's not the size of a lane.

I can see them bringing the slow numbers down, 80% at max level is pretty high. Maybe lowering the duration if they leave the effected area, but .5 seconds is more than enough time for a flash or escape skill unless you're smack dab in the middle of it.

I guess it's a good sign that people are calling for pitchforks already. I'd rather a champ be over tuned and fun and bring him down than underpowered and boring from the get go.

Jeff-DSA

How often would you the opportunity to ult and damage enemies even come up?
I've only ever seen his ult used for escapes so far :p

In two matches I used it aggressively multiple times. If someone crosses your shadow, blow them up. At dragon, you're going to have a lot of opportunity in that tight space, same with Baron. Otherwise, it's mostly to kill someone who is greedy and chasing you. Those chase/kill opportunities will die off though as people realize that you're essentially giving up a kill by following Ekko with his ult up.

Einbroch

Banned
I guess it's a good sign that people are calling for pitchforks already. I'd rather a champ be over tuned and fun and bring him down than underpowered and boring from the get go.

Biggest problem with this is that 80% of the time you're not the one on the "fun" end, you're the one being styled on.

He's just not fun to play against.

I'm all for Ekko and his kit...if everyone else had a kit like his. I argued months ago for everyone having kits like Yasuo. They either need to remake every champion to be like old Yasuo/Ekko or not release champions like Ekko at all.

Blizzard

Banned
Biggest problem with this is that 80% of the time you're not the one on the "fun" end, you're the one being styled on.
How can this statistically be the case though? Surely people can't be on the non-Ekko team 80% of the time. It's going to be closer to 50-50, right?

Einbroch

Banned
How can this statistically be the case though? Surely people can't be on the non-Ekko team 80% of the time. It's going to be closer to 50-50, right?

I mean you personally. Everyone wants to play Ekko at the moment, so 80% of the time you're not gonna get him. I mean, it's not exactly 80%, but I have yet to play a game where people aren't instalocking him.

I just mean blind pick, not ranked. Ranked is for suckers.

Blizzard

Banned
I mean you personally. Everyone wants to play Ekko at the moment, so 80% of the time you're not gonna get him. I mean, it's not exactly 80%, but I have yet to play a game where people aren't instalocking him.

I just mean blind pick, not ranked. Ranked is for suckers.
Oh I see what you mean, blind pick so there will always be one on the other team, and it's hard to get him for yourself.

Tizoc

What are you building first? Luden's? I would actually go Lich Bane first or at least get the Sheen before Luden's. My final build on him last night in the two I played went Sheen > boots > Lich Bane > finish Sorc's boots > Luden's > Rabadon's > Zhonya's > Morello's (but I think Abyssal should work well too). It may not be the best build, but man, I was dealing sick damage.

When I was Jungle Ekko there was a point where I ran out of mana after a few engages lol.
Does Luden charge up faster when using his E?
Why not get Morello/Grail first though? Also would cooldown

Jeff-DSA

I didn't have mana issues, but I started Flask. Getting Sheen first turned me into a bully rather quickly. Your jungler needs to give you blue buff though. And yeah, his E helps build the Luden's charge up. So does his ult.

Again, I don't know what the optimized build path is on him, but it worked well for me.

garath

When I was Jungle Ekko there was a point where I ran out of mana after a few engages lol.
Does Luden charge up faster when using his E?

I think a sheen/Lichbane rush would benefit Ekko greatly. The extra mana + on hit proc will give him a nice spike and scale well throughout the game with the AP he'll be stacking on top of it. Zhonya's will be another core item as he'll put himself in danger a lot and the Zhonya's will help him position his ult or protect him after ulting.

From there raw AP is going to be potent. He has a lot of AP scaling.

Blizzard

Banned
So is 21/0/9 completely bad on mages now? I used that fairly often for Malzahar, but with only +75 mana and losing the mana regen, it feels rather painful now.

Tizoc

Lost this first ranked game. If I lose this 2nd one, I'm going Normals for a bit :V
Really bad kalista i was matched with :/

saying a champion has no counterplay the day after his release when people don't know how to play him is a farcical statement. Play him yourself and you'll see how much you get away with simply because your opponent doesn't know what to do. People just stand around and wait to get stunned, they don't look for the telltale signs of an ekko jumping towards you to jump on you, they don't really attempt to dodge the second hit of the Q, they don't pay attention to the clone for his ult etc.

I legit wonder how many people calling for his head and saying he has a broken kit have actually played it. Chances are if you played against an Ekko and got slaughtered it was your own dumb mistake.

His Q takes a while before it returns and you know it's going to do more damage to second time around so it's your job to avoid it.

The stun requires a 3 second activation with both Ekko and the enemy in it.

His ult literally has a clone following him that shows exactly where he'll be when he ults.

How you can say his kit has no counterplay or argue about its counterplay is beyond me. Yes his kit has a lot of upsides but they're not easy to hit. I guarantee you he'll be less overwhelming in the coming days and people calling for his head will look like fools. He's only been out for just over 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom