• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT9| Stealing Abilities From Inferior MOBAs since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

drawkcaB

Tank meta tank meta tank meta. Tank meta? Tank meta! Grr tank meta...

There's so many opinions in the last few pages I could show are incorrect using actual data I don't know where to start, so I won't.

But I will say this - the development and lasting power of metas in LoL has more to do with how 95% of its players (pros included) calcify their thinking than Riot's balancing.

The state of the game is in solid shape if you take a minute to step outside the echo chamber.

Jeff-DSA

If you got a problem with tanks, just build magic and armor pen :V

Building to kill the tank often makes it harder to kill the other carries.

There would be NOTHING wrong with tanks being super tanky if they just didn't have so much CC and damage. I would be fine with super tanky and CC or super tanky and damage, but not super tanky with CC and damage. I think that's what most people feel. It's just not fun when you're not playing the tank.

zkylon

zkylewd
tanks are fine, a little op, specially agragas, but game's in a fairly decent spot right now

i'll prefer fighting sejuani out of the jungle than khazix every game

drawkcaB

This certainly seems fair.

Building to kill the tank often makes it harder to kill the other carries.

Nonsense. A longstanding issue with ADC itemization in LoL that has been talked about by Riot going all the way back to the beginning of S3 but never acted on is that tank busting items like Last Whisper and BotRK are almost as effective on softer targets as they are on tanks.

There would be NOTHING wrong with tanks being super tanky if they just didn't have so much CC and damage. I would be fine with super tanky and CC or super tanky and damage, but not super tanky with CC and damage. I think that's what most people feel. It's just not fun when you're not playing the tank.

There's nothing to back that up.

If you actually look at the numbers, all the supposed tanks that are destroying those poor defenseless squishies...aren't. If you look at the jungle stats for example, Sejuani and Gragas are in the bottom half when sorting junglers by damage dealt to champions. Amumu, Rammus, Jarvan, Shen, Zac, Nautilus (although 75% of Naut jungler are skilling him incorrectly)...they're down there too. The tanks that are well into the top half are the ones you think should be there, Dr. Mundo and Shyvana - trading CC for damage. Hecarim is just in the top half, but again that makes sense because while is knock back charge is good early in laning phase for ganks, come late game his CC is meandering.

Who is in the top spots for damage out the jungle? Assassins. And Fiddlesticks.

By and large, that trend you want that there should a trade-off between tankiness, damage potential, and crowd control, actually does exist. The outliers aren't even particularly pronounced.

Nekofrog

Banned
i don't care, i still love the tank meta and i main a champion that can't even put a dent into them late game even with true damage.

i love how it has completely forced a very real change in the way in which people approach team fights. you're in it for the long haul.

can there be tweaks made? yes. destroy gragas W pls.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
And the cycle of Ryze begins again.

Garbage->OP->Garbage->OP

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It at least fixed the login bug.
I cannot log in at all now. Gr8 fix.
Z9E9oAu.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
I cannot log in at all now. Gr8 fix.
I thought that's what I got before, until I restarted the client. But maybe it was a different popup?

On another note, ranked progress:

I'm 14-4 in Malz games in the last 7 days, but I'm starting to struggle. Mid silver was pretty smooth, but silver 1 is tough. I ran into a good Fizz and Rek'Sai, both of which aren't usually good in my games.

Grouping all-mid, especially early in the game, still seems to work well. The difference is, it seems a lot harder to convince silver 1 people to group than silver 2-4.

dimb

I thought that's what I got before, until I restarted the client. But maybe it was a different popup?
This is a new pop-up for me (and separate from the previous one) that I could not be resolve through any amount of fiddling.

Jeff-DSA

I'm 14-4 in Malz games in the last 7 days, but I'm starting to struggle. Mid silver was pretty smooth, but silver 1 is tough. I ran into a good Fizz and Rek'Sai, both of which aren't usually good in my games.

Grouping all-mid, especially early in the game, still seems to work well. The difference is, it seems a lot harder to convince silver 1 people to group than silver 2-4.

Keep riding that Malzahar wave. He's so strong in silver, man. I have like something like 70% win rates on Annie, Katarina, and haven't lost with Amumu or Nami. I should probably just buckle down hard and spam them until I get back to gold.

Jeff-DSA

Guys, I'm still starting boots and 4 pots on Katarina and building Haunting Guise first. I'm pretty sure nobody is doing that anymore, but I still feel like it's giving me a way better power ramp up in lane. From there I'm picking up the standard build (it ultimately pushes Void Staff back a bit), and I like it. I'm still sitting on a Luden's Echo before serious team fights or roaming takes place, so I think it's fine.

I ultimately end up with Liandry's (late upgrade), Luden's, Rabadon's, Zhonya's/Abyssal, Sorc's boots, and Void Staff. I still like that better than rushing Luden's due to how long it takes to get that first 1600 item and waiting forever for that first power spike.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Guys, I'm still starting boots and 4 pots on Katarina and building Haunting Guise first. I'm pretty sure nobody is doing that anymore, but I still feel like it's giving me a way better power ramp up in lane. From there I'm picking up the standard build (it ultimately pushes Void Staff back a bit), and I like it. I'm still sitting on a Luden's Echo before serious team fights or roaming takes place, so I think it's fine.

I ultimately end up with Liandry's (late upgrade), Luden's, Rabadon's, Zhonya's/Abyssal, Sorc's boots, and Void Staff. I still like that better than rushing Luden's due to how long it takes to get that first 1600 item and waiting forever for that first power spike.
I feel like its better to get gunblade as in the tank meta, most enemies just shrug off your attack and then counter you. Having sustain keeps you alive long enough to pop those resets.

Jeff-DSA

I feel like its better to get gunblade as in the tank meta, most enemies just shrug off your attack and then counter you. Having sustain keeps you alive long enough to pop those resets.

I know people are building Gunblade on her, I just can't make myself do it. I would probably take Vlad if I'm worried about a tank in their comp, but yeah, been seeing more Gunblade.

gunblade is garbo on kat because that minuscule sustain u get from spell vamp isn't going to save u vs doing more dmg despite dying

its better to get the burst off than to hope to sustain with ur high cd spells and bad life steal.

Jeff-DSA

gunblade is garbo on kat because that minuscule sustain u get from spell vamp isn't going to save u vs doing more dmg despite dying

its better to get the burst off than to hope to sustain with ur high cd spells and bad life steal.

Yeah, that's what I mean that I can't make myself do it. I'd rather die dealing more damage if it comes down to that. If they have any CC, you're probably going to die anyway. Might was well drop a nuke while you can with more AP.

But that's why I know that I'm a little hypocritical by building Haunting Guise first. It's not the fastest path to big damage.

TomShoe

Banned
Here We Throw Again (Here It Goes Again) - TomShoe

It could be ten, but then again
I can't remember half an hour since a quarter to four
Throw on your boots, the second side of Sum'ner Rif'
And you leave me with my mouse on the floor, hey!

Oh, just when you think you're in control
Just when you think you've got a hold
Just when you get on a roll

Oh here we throw, here we throw, here we throw again
Oh, here we throw again
I shoulda known, shoulda known, shoulda known again
But here we throw again
Oh, oh here we throw again

It starts out easy, something simple, something sleazy
Something inching past the edge of reserve
Now through the lines of the cheap Venetian blinds
Your lead is pulling off of the curb, hey!

Oh, just when you think you're in control
Just when you think you've got a hold
Just when you get on a roll

Oh, we throw, here it goes, here we throw again
Oh, here we again
But here we throw again

Oh, here we throw
Oh, here we throw
Oh, here we throw again

Oh oh
Oh, here we throw, yeah
Oh, here we throw again, hey hey
Oh, here we throw, alright

I guess there's gotta be a break in the monotony
But Jesus, when it rains how it pours
Throw on your clothes, the second side of Sum'ner Rif'
And you DC, yeah, you DC

Oh, here we throw, here we throw, here we throw again
Oh, here we throw again
But here throw again

Oh, here we throw, oh, here throw
Oh, here we throw again
I shoulda known, I shoulda known
But here throw again

Oh here we, oh here we
Oh here we, oh here we
Oh here we throw again

I shoulda, I shoulda
I shoulda, I shoulda
I shoulda known

Oh oh oh
I shoulda known
Oh, here we throw again

Thank you, Thank you

Blizzard

Banned
In 6 games in silver 1, I'm not sure I saw 5 mid more than once, in all 6 games. I'm probably experiencing confirmation bias or whatever, but it boggled the mind.

Out of those 6 games, I also had a Bard and 2 Master Yi players, all losses. I saw hardly any Bard or Master Yi in the entirety of Silver 2-4.

Edwardo

In 6 games in silver 1, I'm not sure I saw 5 mid more than once, in all 6 games. I'm probably experiencing confirmation bias or whatever, but it boggled the mind.

Out of those 6 games, I also had a Bard and 2 Master Yi players, all losses. I saw hardly any Bard or Master Yi in the entirety of Silver 2-4.

Might just be the timing for Bard. He's getting played a bit in lcs so I think that'll usually up their pick numbers. I do like Bard. I feel like I play well on him, but teammates usually comment that they don't see any Bards that often. So I usually have to clue them in on stuff like letting the med packs charge up, and to let me initiate first when were together.

Blizzard

Banned
Might just be the timing for Bard. He's getting played a bit in lcs so I think that'll usually up their pick numbers. I do like Bard. I feel like I play well on him, but teammates usually comment that they don't see any Bards that often. So I usually have to clue them in on stuff like letting the med packs charge up, and to let me initiate first when were together.
I think the Bard had one successful save, and one "Bard is helping" moment I saw -- missing all enemies with an ult, and freezing me (the tank) as I was trying to follow them.

Edwardo

I think the Bard had one successful save, and one "Bard is helping" moment I saw -- missing all enemies with an ult, and freezing me (the tank) as I was trying to follow them.

Ya that'll happen lol. I can definitely see ppl not loving a Bard on their team because even though a lot of champs can screw their team over by missing their abilities, Bard can especially do it because his ult affects teammates as well.

Nice tag btw lol.

zkylon

zkylewd
Zkylon do you hate Stattik Shiv as much as you hate Luden's?

no, stattik shiv adds something interesting to the game while having cool tradeoffs for buying it instead of pd (waveclear+burst vs higher dps). the choice between shiv and pd might not be the most nuanced in the game but it's a decision based on champion synergy and the unique stuff about the items

there's nothing like that about ludens echo. most mids don't need the extra waveclear so it becomes just another dmg item. the decision between deathcap and ludens is just a matter of whether your champion has shields or not.

also they didn't replace a much cooler item with stattik shiv

i just hate how uninspired of an item ludens is when you consider it replaced probably my favorite item in the game

no, stattik shiv adds something interesting to the game while having cool tradeoffs for buying it instead of pd (waveclear+burst vs higher dps). the choice between shiv and pd might not be the most nuanced in the game but it's a decision based on champion synergy and the unique stuff about the items

there's nothing like that about ludens echo. most mids don't need the extra waveclear so it becomes just another dmg item. the decision between deathcap and ludens is just a matter of whether your champion has shields or not.

also they didn't replace a much cooler item with stattik shiv

i just hate how uninspired of an item ludens is when you consider it replaced probably my favorite item in the game

rip in peppronis ionic spark shen

Is Manamune on Kha'Zix good?
I'd go with a no. Takes very long, and the nerfs to W damage + cooldown didn't help.

Tiamat/Hydra is core on jungle Khaz. The rest is situational.

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone else had worse ping since the patch? I think every single game today has been 100+, instead of 93. And normally with a slight change in display, actual ping is worse, so I sometimes see minions doing the lag catchup dance.

Also, I've seen 2 different people talk about Morgana's Q -- how it either looks way faster than it used to be, or is nearly invisible now. Did something change?

dimb

Morgana's spell effects were all revamped. The Q is very hard to read, particularly on Blackthorne.

Jeff-DSA

Morgana's spell effects were all revamped. The Q is very hard to read, particularly on Blackthorne.

Yes, you can barely see it.

I just played Dominion with some friends and that was awful. How do people enjoy that no vision nightmare of a mode?

Don't ban me.

Has anyone else had worse ping since the patch? I think every single game today has been 100+, instead of 93. And normally with a slight change in display, actual ping is worse, so I sometimes see minions doing the lag catchup dance.

Also, I've seen 2 different people talk about Morgana's Q -- how it either looks way faster than it used to be, or is nearly invisible now. Did something change?

No but I've been having random ping jumps for like 2-5 seconds then it's back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom