• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT9| Stealing Abilities From Inferior MOBAs since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
I kinda wish LoL implemented the mix and mash looks of Dota 2 along with the preset skins.

i duno i hate how doto does skins, much more boring imo

i cant believe there was a time when nami had one skin and it was garbo

now she has like 4 and they're (mostly) garbo

i know she doesnt have 4, but there was a bug forever where her base skin showed up twice so i'm counting it

sushi nami is awesome wth

killatopak

Gold Member
i duno i hate how doto does skins, much more boring imo

No, I didn't mean how they look.( I thought the mix and mash would be nice but I got corrected).

I meant how the community can keep giving some stuff so there's a lot to choose from and something new is being sold regularly.

LoL does give skins but it's periodically and not daily/weekly like the ones in Dota 2. ( I don't play Dota 2 but it's what I see from my friends who do.)

If something like that could be implemented, it's possible that you can send some skins yourself like the ones when you use custom skin and Riot could then make a decision if it's worth selling or something. I remember something from my friend telling me that a custom skin became so popular that Riot was forced to release a skin that very much resembles the custom skin. ( I'm talking about Void Fizz)

The only thing I don't know is if they would also give the contributors a share of the profit.

Tizoc

Fuck it, gonna waste all my IP to get Jinx.

Also I'm thinking of switching up my Masteries for Supp Sona, prob. go 15 in Supp and 15 in Offensive.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
played two zyra games.
won two zyra games.
back to plat promo.

i love having a faithful waifu who will always carry me.

Nekofrog

Banned
played two zyra games.
won two zyra games.
back to plat promo.

i love having a faithful waifu who will always carry me.

lets be honest.

it was that quinn AD carry with the least amount of damage on the team (yes less than the full tank voli and the zyra support) that carried us. remember? REMEMBER?

zkylon

zkylewd
just had a weird ass normal game, lots of low level players on the enemy team

xerath had like 6 minions when i had 40, it was super weird

No, I didn't mean how they look.( I thought the mix and mash would be nice but I got corrected).

I meant how the community can keep giving some stuff so there's a lot to choose from and something new is being sold regularly.

LoL does give skins but it's periodically and not daily/weekly like the ones in Dota 2. ( I don't play Dota 2 but it's what I see from my friends who do.)

If something like that could be implemented, it's possible that you can send some skins yourself like the ones when you use custom skin and Riot could then make a decision if it's worth selling or something. I remember something from my friend telling me that a custom skin became so popular that Riot was forced to release a skin that very much resembles the custom skin. ( I'm talking about Void Fizz)

The only thing I don't know is if they would also give the contributors a share of the profit.

i duno i just like pretty skins dont really care who makes em :>

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
lets be honest.

it was that quinn AD carry with the least amount of damage on the team (yes less than the full tank voli and the zyra support) that carried us. remember? REMEMBER?
yeah, she got a triple kill so she must have been carrying us.

there's a replay on op.gg, rewatch that last fight. her 'carry' is hilarious.

TomShoe

Banned
Every time I hear about DOTA 2 having their International event, it makes me wish Riot would allow community creations to be sold on their site. It certainly would make them a lot more money since people wouldn't have to wait until Riot releases a skin. Considering they already have a huge dedicated fanbase, it would result in a veritable army of content creators making skins and chromas for their game. Valve has the creation system down pat, and Riot would make sooo much money by following them. Maybe they'd even have enough money to afford some damn East Coast servers.

But this is probably asking too much from a company 3x the size of Valve that can't be bothered to update a 5 year old client or even add a basic replay system. Gotta make that $20 Star Guardian Lux tho

Blizzard

Banned
Every time I hear about DOTA 2 having their International event, it makes me wish Riot would allow community creations to be sold on their site. It certainly would make them a lot more money since people wouldn't have to wait until Riot releases a skin. Considering they already have a huge dedicated fanbase, it would result in a veritable army of content creators making skins and chromas for their game. Valve has the creation system down pat, and Riot would make sooo much money by following them. Maybe they'd even have enough money to afford some damn East Coast servers.

But this is probably asking too much from a company 3x the size of Valve that can't be bothered to update a 5 year old client or even add a basic replay system. Gotta make that $20 Star Guardian Lux tho
I don't work at Riot, but I'm guessing the people who have the skill sets to make Lux skins are different from the people who would have the skill sets to program replay code.

It would be nice to have replays though. It is kind of weird that the client already unofficially supports them.

jerd

I'll just say again that replay.gg has worked perfectly for me so far. Not that it excuses our lack of replays, just that it's a fine option until we have an official one

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
replays have been done and working for years.

the problem is they want to keep it server side and they don't have the juice to support that.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Can the east coast get not-garbage ping first

TomShoe

Banned
i dont want league full of shitty hats like tf2 tyty

Trebek, I'll say "What is a filter system," for $400

Anything can be made from skins to chromas. A lot of content creators can make good stuff, and they all have to be pre-approved, so it's not like ppl are getting crap past the radar. Only the good skins can be sold.

I'll just say again that replay.gg has worked perfectly for me so far. Not that it excuses our lack of replays, just that it's a fine option until we have an official one

The only problem I have is that we shouldn't have to bother with 3rd party sites to record our replays for us when it should have been there in the first place. Much smaller companies can have better clients with all the features that should be mandatory. Yet the company of the largest game in the world can't even be bothered to devise their own, as they're much too busy shilling skins and trying to reach the magical $1B revenue mark. Riot is awfully slow moving as a company, even megacorps like Microsoft outpace them, and that's saying something

replays have been done and working for years.

the problem is they want to keep it server side and they don't have the juice to support that.

Can the east coast get not-garbage ping first

I'd love to see their expense report and find out just how much they're spending on server maintenance and how much is being spent on making skins.

zkylon

zkylewd
Tsundere

zkylon's the key 171 is a twin-tail style comes down to the waist of a B cup breasts and pink. By Moe elements princess, blankets, hwasangreul have.
duno half the words cos google translate but my bishoujo self is not bad

sadly not available in all regions

The only problem I have is that we shouldn't have to bother with 3rd party sites to record our replays for us when it should have been there in the first place. Much smaller companies can have better clients with all the features that should be mandatory. Yet the company of the largest game in the world can't even be bothered to devise their own, as they're much too busy shilling skins and trying to reach the magical $1B revenue mark. Riot is awfully slow moving as a company, even megacorps like Microsoft outpace them, and that's saying something
actually like u say its much quicker for smaller companies

making shit for millions and millions of players is a logistical nightmare

I'd love to see their expense report and find out just how much they're spending on server maintenance and how much is being spent on making skins.

this is just stupid reasoning

are you seriously suggesting riot is spending millions and millions of dollars in making three or four skins every couple months?

making skins is cheap and easy

building infrastructure for complicated systems that have to retroactively work on 10+ servers and support tens of millions of players is neither cheap nor easy

Trebek, I'll say "What is a filter system," for $400

Anything can be made from skins to chromas. A lot of content creators can make good stuff, and they all have to be pre-approved, so it's not like ppl are getting crap past the radar. Only the good skins can be sold.
im confused

you dont want riot to make skins

but you want them to make a whole system to curate skins and deal community-made skins

There's also the issue of Rito spaghetti code. Seems like they like to change something in the code model in every few patches, which explains why random things break. They'd have to ensure replays aren't aren't unplayable after a patch.

TomShoe

Banned
actually like u say its much quicker for smaller companies

making shit for millions and millions of players is a logistical nightmare

Yet Valve and their tiny team of 330 manage just fine. Sometimes I feel like Riot is just a poorly managed company in general. Disorganized vision and spaghetti code with random things breaking every patch. Many aspects need a serious overhaul.

this is just stupid reasoning

are you seriously suggesting riot is spending millions and millions of dollars in making three or four skins every couple months?

making skins is cheap and easy

building infrastructure for complicated systems that have to retroactively work on 10+ servers and support tens of millions of players is neither cheap nor easy

im confused

you dont want riot to make skins

but you want them to make a whole system to curate skins and deal community-made skins

Outsourcing is the key word here. Riot doesn't have to be the one to make the skins, they have a whole army of dedicated LoL players willing to become content creators in hopes of contributing to the game and/or making money. I'll say it again: Valve already has this system down pat. Letting the fanbase create content for the game could be a viable source of revenue for Riot, as well as allow for the generation of ideas for skins even the design team at Riot couldn't think of. The system to curate skins is a means to an end. They say they don't have enough money to maintain another set of servers, I'm just throwing ideas out there. Perhaps they could increase revenue if they increased their content output.

zkylon

zkylewd
i dont play doto so no idea about how it is in doto

but all saw the skins i saw were all super lame compared to league's

and there are already a really huge number of skin releases in league, and the process of getting hyped and all the teasing and anticipation and whatever is something that i really like that wouldn't work so well if you had like a huge store with millions of player made skins

i just don't think it's something league needs and not necessarily something i want (unlike say replays)

i wouldn't mind if rito did like contests for ppl to suggest skins and maybe vote on them or whatever but making this whole system is i think not worth the trouble

also while rito is pretty bloated as a company and obviously has a ton of inside bureaucracy that slows things down, you can't blame all of it on that. the shitty code dates all the way to 2008 and they actively fix and improve the code. rewriting an engine takes a shit ton of time.

i wish they were quicker i agree, but i duno if i'd rather if they were more like valve, considering how questionable almost everything about steam is

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
but all saw the skins i saw were all super lame compared to league's
They must be really terrible in Dota then...because like 99%+ of League ones in the last year and some are really not worth buying.

zkylon

zkylewd
They must be really terrible in Dota then...because like 99%+ of League ones in the last year and some are really not worth buying.

i mean, you might not like some of league's but they often have new animations, new vfx, a cool splash art and they dramatically change the character's style

this is probably kind of unfair cos i dont really know how to use the doto store to find the good stuff but some skins from the doto champions i liked

dota_item_the_corpse_maidens_set_large.c4872f81eb8ac96fb1df65bae81dbdc5fdbb55cf.png
dota_item_the_bone_scryer_set_large.6a1c749e8915a6b5e88a7a63a0ab82a90bbccc49.png

dota_item_regalia_of_the_mortal_coil_set_large.c3c0f65f638b60ba0eb077f0b8fab1d5bb64b91b.png
dota_item_augurs_curse_set_large.01b8a46a38573342abd795659464e09930bcc25d.png

it's like, not necessarily bad looking, but certainly less exciting than like a mahou shoujo skin or like dinosaurs or like mecha versionrs or gurren lagann or arcade or whatever

jerd

Boxer lee and cop Voli are my favorites in that span probably. I don't even remember many other recent ones and i love skins

Also love luchador braum but i think he's too expensive

Edit: actually id say the last 3 months or so have been forgettable but gold velkoz, blood moon elise, and the snow day skins were all good and that's the last 6 months

and there are already a really huge number of skin releases in league, and the process of getting hyped and all the teasing and anticipation and whatever is something that i really like that wouldn't work so well if you had like a huge store with millions of player made skins

also while rito is pretty bloated as a company and obviously has a ton of inside bureaucracy that slows things down, you can't blame all of it on that. the shitty code dates all the way to 2008 and they actively fix and improve the code. rewriting an engine takes a shit ton of time.

i wish they were quicker i agree, but i duno if i'd rather if they were more like valve, considering how questionable almost everything about steam is

The thing is, Riot sucks at prioritizing skins. I mean, Lux and Riven have gotten how many skins? Trundle BARELY got a new one where he's a constable. Then you have characters like Kennen, Taric, or Swain who haven't gotten skin in YEARS.

YEAAAARS. Y-E-A-R-S. 3 years for Swain, 4 years for Kennen/Taric. Fucking YEAAAARS.

Does Riven or Ahri REALLY need another skin? Does Lux really need another pandering skin?

Riot sucks at managing things. They just do. Whether it's the gameplay code, whether it's the logging in or connection issues, whether it's the air client that still breaks from time to time, whether it's their slow store page that is visually a mess, whether it's the issue of having to disable certain companies, Riot has issues.

Sure you can argue 'Well they have to serve millions!' Valve is doing just fine with DotA. Each champion or hero or whatever they call it has a multitude of skins, you never hear about any issues with the DotA client itself, hell I believe their tournament prize pool is the largest in Esport history.

....So what the hell is Riot doing with all the money they have? It makes me sad. It makes me sad that various champions are cool, but are just ignored and forgotten about because of the I don't know fuck you attitude Riot has.

The sad thing is, Lux, Riven, Ahri, Lee Sin or whoever the 'popular' champions are will keep getting skins more than other champions. Riots talked about the process they go through-Basically it's usually one artist working on their favorite hero, and then they pretty much decide through popular vote or whatever. Basically the more popular a hero is at the offices, the higher chances that people will work on it.

It's a goddamn mess.

Ocho

Whoever said Leona is a better Naut is wrong (imo). Argument is flawed when you compare the range of the hook and usability (engage/escape).

Newt

Leona was the easiest supports to do well with. The Naut came around. He's basically a Leona with less skill(shots).

killatopak

Gold Member
Even though Leona is my main support, I'm inclined to say that I have a harder time dealing with a Naut support than a Leona support when an enemy team uses them.

Leona's SS has a better impact on team fights though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom