• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT9| Stealing Abilities From Inferior MOBAs since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Easy solution to make more people play the game longer and give more customization: tie chroma unlocks to champion mastery and give every champion chroma skins.

Make them unlock one tier per chroma, charge 2000 IP per (or 250 RP).

Easy, cheap, and gives people a visible achievement for playing. Also quiets some skin complaints.

Hire me.
That would require Riot to put in extra effort, and would in theory make them less money since people would buy less skins.

Costs more, makes less! I mean, it'd be awesome for players, but yeah sounds rough from a business standpoint unless statistics show people will buy skins that way. :p

That would require Riot to put in extra effort, and would in theory make them less money since people would buy less skins.

Costs more, makes less! I mean, it'd be awesome for players, but yeah sounds rough from a business standpoint unless statistics show people will buy skins that way. :p

Actually the trade off would be people become even more invested into the characters they play. Blizz is smart for doing this, because they're so late into the MobA scene, so having something that invests a person into the character they play is a good way to retain players.

The mistake Riot made was introducing the character progression and Chroma skins so late. It's obvious they ripped both from Heroes of the Storm. The difference is, that in HotS both are integral to each character. Character progression unlocks you in game currency, icons, skins, and skin variations(That is, color sets like the Chroma pack.) It's all tied to the character progression system. They designed HotS with this in mind, so that's why it works so well.

Riot decided to say 'me too!' and tried implementing all of that...except it came out poorly. Instead of having good rewards like the HotS character progression(In game currency rewards, a 'master' skin, skin variations, icons), you get..........a little badge that pops up in game, a little icon on the loading screen...and I guess when you kill someone it looks a little bit different? Basically things that a player doesn't really want or care about.

And yeah, if Riot is trying to make the most profit possible for the game, chances are they won't do anything for the player for a long while. (And I could care less about the game modes they introduce, I feel it just takes away from the part everyone cares about by having sources work on these one-off modes.)

zkylon

zkylewd
kpop ahri is best ahri

if ur bad
true

kpop ahri is best ahri

well, not everything is that simple

say, champion mastery doesn't turn into money 1:1, but they still do it because it adds 'value' to the game

the big problem that riot has for giving free stuff and customization and crap is that their business model has historically been "charge for everything", which means that whenever they make something free a lot of ppl is gonna be at their throats for it

free chromas? but old skins were just recolors!
free avatars? but i payed like 500rp for this shitty thing!

so while doing things for free might add 'value' to the game, it also creates those problems with old players and if they start refunding everyone for the money they spent that's also complicated etc

i guess riot when stuck in that situation just goes on as usual since ppl seem to be ok with buying these things.

personally i think selling avatars is beyond ridiculous, and i'm not a fan of chromas in general, specially since the way they sell them seems very shitty to me, but not too fussed about the lack of free shit since what i'm interested which is skins is pretty reasonably priced for the awesome quality it is

Actually the trade off would be people become even more invested into the characters they play. Blizz is smart for doing this, because they're so late into the MobA scene, so having something that invests a person into the character they play is a good way to retain players.

The mistake Riot made was introducing the character progression and Chroma skins so late. It's obvious they ripped both from Heroes of the Storm. The difference is, that in HotS both are integral to each character. Character progression unlocks you in game currency, icons, skins, and skin variations(That is, color sets like the Chroma pack.) It's all tied to the character progression system. They designed HotS with this in mind, so that's why it works so well.

Riot decided to say 'me too!' and tried implementing all of that...except it came out poorly. Instead of having good rewards like the HotS character progression(In game currency rewards, a 'master' skin, skin variations, icons), you get..........a little badge that pops up in game, a little icon on the loading screen...and I guess when you kill someone it looks a little bit different? Basically things that a player doesn't really want or care about.

And yeah, if Riot is trying to make the most profit possible for the game, chances are they won't do anything for the player for a long while. (And I could care less about the game modes they introduce, I feel it just takes away from the part everyone cares about by having sources work on these one-off modes.)
i don't see how riot isn't "doing anything for the player for a long while"

like i listed before:

they made a new map, new champions, new ui, a billion skins (as shown above), new punishment system, champion mastery, special modes, lcs, patches every month...

out of those only champions and skins are things that are sold, the rest are things for free that riot makes to make their game more fun

Blizzard

Banned
I think the key question is, does Riot actually have a problem retaining players? Unless their player count stops climbing (last I heard it was higher than DOTA2 and climbing), I doubt they are too concerned about losing players.

Also, making people invest in a specific champion even more could add more problems in non-team-builder modes. That's the only mode where you can even guarantee a role. In ranked etc. you may be a mastery 5 level whatever with a skin, but chances are someone else may just override you and feed.

i don't see how riot isn't "doing anything for the player for a long while"

like i listed before:

out of those only champions and skins are things that are sold, the rest are things for free that riot makes to make their game more fun

Let's break it down

they made a new map, new champions, new ui, a billion skins (as shown above), new punishment system, champion mastery, special modes, lcs, patches every month...

new map is because the other map was a mess visually. It sucked, it was inevitable they would make a new map. So I wouldn't say it was 'for the players' as it was more for their presentation of the game.

New champions....that they sell. Some would say that the roster is bloated and fucks over balances with each champion they release. Others say that new champions come out OP to make a quick sell. This isnt' for the players, it's part of their business plan.

New UI? They fucked things over by making buffs display all the way to the left with little, barely visible small icons. Again, a given like the map remake.

A billion skins..that they sale. For money. It's not for the players, its' for business. The punishment system? Again, Blizzard and Valve have punishment systems as well. The Tribunal? It's been 'down' for how long? And even then it's just outsourcing punishments to the playerbase.

Champion Mastery..is literally nothing. I listed it's problem above.

Special modes just take resources they can be using to balance the game or do other things. But they're sparse enough that it isn't a problem.

LCS...again, all it does is make the tournaments proprietary, and again it's not something that directly affects an average players enjoyment of the game.

And patches are a given. If they stopped patching, people would probably stop playing sooner or later. Let's look at DotA, the patches are few and far, but when the patches come out, they are huge and usually well thought out/well patched. Or if you like analogies, Riots patching is akin to sticking a band aid over and over and over again on a cut. Yeah it happens frequently, but it's not the best thing you can do. Valve would be akin to taking the cut to a doctor, having to wait a bit, but getting it stitched up properly.

Yeah, Riot does some things for its players, but alot of them have their business and profit in mind. Yes, all games need to make a profit, but the way Riot does it is alot worse than what Valve does with DotA.(I've yet to form an opinion on HotS and their business, as it just came out, but they already offer alot out of the gate for virtually no buy-in.)

I think the key question is, does Riot actually have a problem retaining players? Unless their player count stops climbing (last I heard it was higher than DOTA2 and climbing), I doubt they are too concerned about losing players.

Also, making people invest in a specific champion even more could add more problems in non-team-builder modes. That's the only mode where you can even guarantee a role. In ranked etc. you may be a mastery 5 level whatever with a skin, but chances are someone else may just override you and feed.

True enough, but the bubble has to burst sooner or later for League IMO. Blizzard, the reason why their character progression system is so giving, again IMO, is because that's one way to retain playerbase when they're coming in so late to the scene. It's a smart business move on their part if it does what they want it to do. It's just that Riot said 'me too!' and made a poor copy paste when realistically they didn't need a system like that.

Newt

Context, this game a 4v4, we had no jungler and they had no support. Our jungler rejoined later near the end of the game. Vayne got zoned, and had 13cs at 13 minutes.
f0a340395881aa683cc6263ccb877e9b.png

d55e8e81f3f7c8a0ab203a2aba0e4893.png

ce08f25069e7d20f8ef27a3235f97e5e

aac1d53657a0ed34f6297885c72184f5

3460e40a51e1cfe724b456465593450f.png

fa8804a1fa04dae49fbf836e183f81e2.png

e4d44612f618287d28b2ff9cf1c3b39b.png

70e03c71330b10df834e9d62a6268e3b.png

3937c88660a08482e06eeffd682866b9.png

c0b03e68e6db4c7e48bbf20e2d70b796.png

edb743a399d23619fce6db2284f9a8fc

19ab7326428a0368086db88def23b374.png

5eab90c79f3bc773d97e268b2461f1df.png

zkylon

zkylewd
i think you're a bit delusional if u think league's popularity is a bubble that can burst. it's the equivalent of wow in the level of almost monopoly of the genre. league has ten times as many concurrent players as doto, i really don't see how you can think that riot is stressing out over losing players

i don't doto so can't comment on how they do their shit, but i'm confused on how riot can look good in your eyes if

awesome new map - bullshit, the map should be awesome already!
new ui - bullshit, the ui should be awesome already!
new champions - doesn't matter since they're selling them
new skins - doesn't matter since they're selling them
champion mastery - they don't give me free shit, so fuck rito!
special modes - i don't care about them so they're just waste of resources!
lcs - uhhh i don't even get your complaint about this one...
patches - suck cos they're not like doto. even if in doto there are champions with like 32% winrate and champions you can't even play in ranked or some shit...

so i'm kind of unsure if there's even a discussion to be had here because when riot does something they should've done that well in the first place, and if you don't care about it (lcs/special modes) then it doesn't matter

i think you're a bit delusional if u think league's popularity is a bubble that can burst. it's the equivalent of wow in the level of almost monopoly of the genre. league has ten times as many concurrent players as doto, i really don't see how you can think that riot is stressing out over losing players

i don't doto so can't comment on how they do their shit, but i'm confused on how riot can look good in your eyes if

awesome new map - bullshit, the map should be awesome already!
new ui - bullshit, the ui should be awesome already!
new champions - doesn't matter since they're selling them
new skins - doesn't matter since they're selling them
champion mastery - they don't give me free shit, so fuck rito!
special modes - i don't care about them so they're just waste of resources!
lcs - uhhh i don't even get your complaint about this one...
patches - suck cos they're not like doto. even if in doto there are champions with like 32% winrate and champions you can't even play in ranked or some shit...

so i'm kind of unsure if there's even a discussion to be had here because when riot does something they should've done that well in the first place, and if you don't care about it (lcs/special modes) then it doesn't matter

And in your eyes Riot can do no wrong...? Riot has issues, it's my point. If you want to have a discussion dissecting it, I'm free to do that. Yeah, League is extremely popular, but DotA is just up there. In China DotA is more popular than League IIRC, and China is a huuuuge country.

And again, you generalize my dissection of your 'they do things for players' post. 'The map/ui/whatever should be awesome already?'. No, it's an update. Alot of games do updates. DotA has done visual updates for some characters. HotS has done some visual updates for the characters. That you think 'it's all done for the player!' is a bit naive. And you're actually wrong about DotA not having playable champions, IIRC more DotA has had more characters played in their previous tournaments than League has(That is, there is a higher selectable pool of 'viable' characters for DotA than there is League.'

Hell, I'm watching LCS right now. Between these different groups that have played already, there are alot of characters crossed picked between these different groups and different games (Thresh, Nautilus, Reksai, Ryze). And you have the same bans on other viable characters.

(And yeah, Champion Mastery does suck because it was ripped from another game that had it implemented better.)

China is League's biggest region, what are you talking about lol

League is many times bigger than Dota 2 as far as playerbase goes, specially in China. Dota is in second place and is pretty close if not even when it comes to competitive play, but as far as the general populace? 1% of the entire human race plays League, it's not even a contest.

Is it? I remember hearing the opposite that DotA 2 was pretty damn big in China.
The latest chinese stats I can find from net cafes:

And considering League's peak concurrent player count is 10 times bigger than Dota's, I don't see how this situation possibly changed, specially since LPL has been growing massively in the past year or so. I mean, one Chinese streamer had over two million viewers one day last year.

The latest chinese stats I can find from net cafes:

And considering League's peak concurrent player count is 10 times bigger than Dota's, I don't see how this situation possibly changed, specially since LPL has been growing massively in the past year or so. I mean, one Chinese streamer had over two million viewers one day last year.

That's disgusting.

zkylon

zkylewd
playing lux into an all assassin comp is pretty painful

i hate normals

i hate this videogame lol

And in your eyes Riot can do no wrong...? Riot has issues, it's my point. If you want to have a discussion dissecting it, I'm free to do that. Yeah, League is extremely popular, but DotA is just up there. In China DotA is more popular than League IIRC, and China is a huuuuge country.
doto is not more popular in china than league, wtf are you talking about

where do you think most of league's millions and millions of players are coming from...

also no one denies riot has problems

it's the hyperbole that's annoying

Yes? 2 million people watching a streamer. Those are disgusting numbers. (unless it was a tournament stream, in which case it'd make sense. But one player?)

And don't take me wrong, I don't hate league. I like playing it. I just dislike Riot.
because some random guinsoo thing that happened a billion years ago and no one cares about or do you have a valid reason to dislike riot?

because some random guinsoo thing that happened a billion years ago and no one cares about or do you have a valid reason to dislike riot?

Well, that's one way to get me to ignore you when you're misrepresenting what I've said. Like holy shit, that's bad, I never mentioned Guinsoo once. Sooooo bad.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well, that's one way to get me to ignore you when you're misrepresenting my argument. Like holy shit, that's bad, I never mentioned Guinsoo once. Sooooo bad.

90% of the doters that show up here hate on riot because of something guinsoo did like a billion years ago

it gets tiring

glad you're not one of those den

my bad

90% of the doters that show up here hate on riot because of something guinsoo did like a billion years ago

it gets tiring

glad you're not one of those den

my bad

I've been playing League for 5 years(minus a year break I took last year.) You can look me up on league(same name as GAF name.) Sorry if it seems that I'm just hopping in and hating on League, but it happens I'm just critical of the decisions Riot makes.(Which isn't new, with Destiny I've criticized it just as much despite putting a shitton of hours into the game.)

garath

Mm. Khazix jungle didn't feel so bad. Course there weren't any super tanks on the other team. Clears are pretty slow till tiamat though.

killatopak

Gold Member
I have 9k ip and no idea who I want to buy. I like every lane.

iR1Bdo8.png

+ Zac

Riven is the most popular top lane pick for a reason you know?

I've played her in 300 games and I still haven't tapped into 50% of her potential. High skill ceiling.

If you like to bully people, I also highly recommend Renekton. He's a really good champ and he fits right in the tank meta.

Edwardo

Fioraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Hmm.. very possible

Will be better next patch when you can taunt with it

Donger and kog are must buys wardo. After that probably Viktor

I dont really like Kog. I do like his taunt tho hehe.

Donger might be a good choice.

Skarner is right there.

Ya he's tempting. I havent played him in forever so I might give him a go since he's free anyways.

Riven is the most popular top lane pick for a reason you know?

I've played her in 300 games and I still haven't tapped into 50% of her potential. High skill ceiling.

If you like to bully people, I also highly recommend Renekton. He's a really good champ and he fits right in the tank meta.

Meh. I refunded Riven a long time ago. She was fun at the time, but isn't rly that appealing to me now. I haven't played Rene since earlier in Season 4, but I guess I could try him again soon.

squadr0n

How are everyone's feelings toward Ekko now that he's been out for a bit? I actually shelled out for him and I never pay for heros right away. Does he need needed as bad as everyone says on reddit?

Blizzard

Banned
How are everyone's feelings toward Ekko now that he's been out for a bit? I actually shelled out for him and I never pay for heros right away. Does he need needed as bad as everyone says on reddit?
I've only seen a few times, but my general experiences are:

1. If I'm playing him, I can get kills, but if other lanes feed 10-20 kills before laning phase ends, it's hard for me to help them. This may just mean I'm bad at roaming, or that those games had bad luck.

2. If someone else is playing him on my team, they get kills, but they play with the Riven / Master Yi / Vayne style of chasing kills only, having a bad attitude, and ignoring all towers and dragons (ignoring split pushing Master Yi's). I'm not sure I've won a single game with an Ekko mid on my team other than myself, and I've lost most of the games where -I- play him.

Overall I think his win rates being under 50% at every level above gold, last time I checked, suggests he's not truly as overpowered as some would suggest. This may be especially true once people learn the W range and cooldown.

His numbers are high so he can indeed be annoying if a team chases through his ghost, or if he lands a full combo on top of an unprotected enemy.

My personal suspicion is that he will continue to be banned in something like 95% of my silver games, and that will only change if Riot nerfs something about him. Even if Riot nerfs something by 5 damage, making an almost meaningless change, that might be enough for the general attitude to turn around and stop banning him as much. I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom