• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends: Season 4 World Championship (Sep 17 - Oct 19)

Last year's Worlds was a step back from season 2. The wildcards ate up a huge proportion of group games, and the top seeds got automatic seeding into the QFs, which were Bo3, meaning three seeded teams went out after 2/3 games. This year looked to be much better, and so far it's turning out that way, with a ton of dramatic matches featuring teams of every region (other than the wildcards) and the highest level of competition yet seen.

I've been convinced by the longer-form format taking place in multiple countries. Having the playoffs in Korea makes them that little bit more special - every encounter will only feature teams to have earned the right to play there by qualifying through both their own country and then through their group in Taiwan/Singapore. I can only imagine their hype and nerves when they reach Busan, and, for some, Seoul.

Byi0qPDIMAEkic2.jpg:large

Opiate

I think what we're seeing is that Korea and to a lesser extent China are butting up against the ceiling of the potential skill limit (Both individually and as a team) in LoL, which means that EU and NA teams should very gradually even out as their infrastructure improves. If Korea can't really get much better, then they're no longer a moving target. Note that I'm not saying that EU/NA will one day be better than Korea, I'm saying that eventually we should see a world finals where we can imagine a team from China OR Korea OR US OR EU winning because there are players from each region which can reasonably compete.

I think we're still some time off from that (I.e. at least a couple seasons) and it's possible I'm simply wrong. It's just what my eyes are telling me while watching this.

I think what we're seeing is that Korea and to a lesser extent China are butting up against the ceiling of the potential skill limit (Both individually and as a team) in LoL, which means that EU and NA teams should very gradually even out as their infrastructure improves. If Korea can't really get much better, then they're no longer a moving target. Note that I'm not saying that EU/NA will one day be better than Korea, I'm saying that eventually we should see a world finals where we can imagine a team from China OR Korea OR US OR EU winning because there are players from each region which can reasonably compete.

I think we're still some time off from that (I.e. at least a couple seasons) and it's possible I'm simply wrong. It's just what my eyes are telling me while watching this.

I think you're right.

At the moment it's not a lack of raw mechanical skill in the best players that separates the regions, but infrastructure and the development of players.

Korea has this vastly better infrastructure and seasoned coaches from other eSports that they can use to develop their players.

Once EU and NA catches up in that regard everything will be a lot closer. It's already a lot closer this year than it was last year, to be honest.

Yeah. NA has stepped up their game big time this year, even if it's not 100% perfect. This worlds should be a very good wake up call for EU too.

Season 5 should be amazing.

Leezard

I think you're on the right track. Korea has been ahead in terms of strategy before, but the western teams are catching up while Korea has not been able to innovate and get even more ahead.

It is easier to catch up by copying strategies than to innovate after all.

Makareu

So today we had :
- a 70 min game with a 1hp nexus
- more fuel to the NA vs EU argument
- a pentakill
- the most improbable perfect game ever
- no one locking a qualification

I have been entertained !

And about the region level, i think there is still a big problem for the western teams against the koreans. The lack of decisive shot callers past mid game. I feel that the next step when building a team will be to ensure a spot for a shotcaller even if its mechanics are not on par.

Love that fnatic lost that omg game. There's nothing better than an EU butthurt shitstorm. Seriously, check the reddit threads about the "game breaking bug." It's delicious.

Edit: I don't say this because I hate eu as a region or anything their fans just love to complain.

zkylon

zkylewd
seems like the kabum guys have a much better attitude than dark passage

just enjoy being able to scrim to korean teams and the whole thing, take what you can back home and have fun

and well the asian honeys

People claim that kha's home guards shouldn't have activated when soaz was trying to finish the nexus and that's why fnatic lost the game.
lol ok

i really like fnatic but u know backdoors are risky things so it can go either way, sad that fnatic didn't get that awesomely fnatic-y win but u know it was a really hype moment so i enjoyed it anyways

and like obviously they lost for many more reasons. even a few minutes ago they could've gotten the three inhibs down instead of getting caught 4v5 after that weird red buff steal

whoever's mad about that loss has 70 minutes of footage of fnatic playing pretty crap to look for reasons

seems like the kabum guys have a much better attitude than dark passage

just enjoy being able to scrim to korean teams and the whole thing, take what you can back home and have fun

and well the asian honeys

lol ok

i really like fnatic but u know backdoors are risky things so it can go either way, sad that fnatic didn't get that awesomely fnatic-y win but u know it was a really hype moment so i enjoyed it anyways

and like obviously they lost for many more reasons. even a few minutes ago they could've gotten the three inhibs down instead of getting caught 4v5 after that weird red buff steal

whoever's mad about that loss has 70 minutes of footage of fnatic playing pretty crap to look for reasons

B-b-but if it was gambit riot would have remade!!!

Just because it was a 70 min game doesn't mean that a glitch didn't potentially lose Fnatic the game. They were 1 hit from winning the game, so if the glitch occurred, it lost them the game.

Edit: Of course, the decision has been made, so Fnatic's fans gotta hold that salt.

zkylon

zkylewd
yea after watching the videos it def looks like a bug as ppl are replicating it without the hexdrinker

in any case it'd be nice if they streamlined the mobi boots/homeguard thing so it's less case specific

Rurunaki

Just because it was a 70 min game doesn't mean that a glitch didn't potentially lose Fnatic the game. They were 1 hit from winning the game, so if the glitch occurred, it lost them the game.

Edit: Of course, the decision has been made, so Fnatic's fans gotta hold that salt.

Claiming a team won because of a glitch takes away so much from that team. OMG deserved that win and Fnatic deserved praises for that game as well. However, don't just say "Team A won because it glitched." That's so insulting to the players and the analyst desks already pointed out, Soaz played the backdoor wrong -- he should've ridden the Winions to victory by using the equalizers on the enemy minions and not trying to delay a Kha'zix that could just jump out of it.

Edit: People calling that hexdrinker/homeguard bug as gamebreaking comes off very salty that or doesn't know the meaning of "gamebreaking."

Claiming a team won because of a glitch takes away so much from that team. OMG deserved that win and Fnatic deserved praises for that game as well. However, don't just say "Team A won because it glitched." That's so insulting to the players and the analyst desks already pointed out, Soaz played the backdoor wrong -- he should've ridden the Winions to victory by using the equalizers on the enemy minions and not trying to delay a Kha'zix that could just jump out of it.

Edit: People calling that hexdrinker/homeguard bug as gamebreaking comes off very salty that or doesn't know the meaning of "gamebreaking."

I disagree. The game LITERALLY came down to 1 hit off the nexus. Yea, OMG won that, but if that recall bug was legitimate, it actually affected the outcome of the game in a significant manner. I'm not saying OMG didn't deserve it, but to say its not a bug and that it had no effect on the outcome of the game is ridiculous. Any other game? Maybe. But the nexus was 1 hit away from Fnatic winning the entire game.

Macattk15

Fnatic won the game if Soaz ulted the creeps. Fnatic won the game if Cyanide didn't auto a minion. Soaz flashing to a spot where he took isolated damage from Kha'zix has nothing to do with any bug, poor decision making.

Blame the bug, blame nerves, blame poor play. Whatever. Fnatic lost.

zkylon

zkylewd
as far as remakes are concerned it's complicated cos many times there's been vision bugs that resulted in teams sneaking barons or something like that so it's not like every single time there's been a game deciding bug rito has chosen to remake the game

this case is a lot less clear than the darien thing but also a lot more important

i dunno

clemenx

Banned
Eh, just treat it as a blown call in any other sport and fix that shit for the future. People calling for a replay are being ridiculous.

Macattk15

There is quite a big difference between player decisions and bugs that are out of the hands of players.

Riot said working as intended. Not a bug in their eyes. (Yeah yeah I know Riot is going to say not a bug obv) .... there has ALWAYS been bugs as recall seems to cast in my opinion.

Fnatic fans should ask their team to play better instead of looking for any possible reason to blame the loss on anything else.

Leezard

Eh, it's not really a bug though. Like Nick Allen wrote in his decision, it breaks on damage and not in combat. Damaging a shield does not count as damage, it is consistent with other interactions on damage (I can't remember which one it is though, Garen or MF passives, maybe?).

This is not about Fnatic's play. Its about a bug that had a game changing impact. People on Reddit have already proven that there was a bug (Khazix lost HP): this picture should show it.

I'm not saying Fnatic couldn't have played it better. But to suggest that a bug like this did not contribute to their loss is ridiculous.

Riot can do whatever they want, its their decision. They just come off looking inconsistent. Gambit vs SK gets remade but this game of much greater importance does not? Okay.

idlewild_

The Gambit vs. SK situation was a bit different. The game was paused and Fredy122 pointed out the bug right after it happened. By the LCS rules they were supposed to be offered a remake of the game. If they had not paused and pointed it out the game probably would not have been remade even if reddit blew up about it later.

brian!

it's prtty funny that there are so many threads about this on reddit
thousandz of ppl saying HE TOOK DMG THO!!

prtty sure homeguard just doesn't deactivate during the cashed in back animation
just like taking damage doesnt stop the b

Looks to me like the Kog ultimate hit before Kha'Zix based (but during the half-second immunity where a recall cannot be stopped even though damage can still be dealt). This means that homeguard activating was the correct outcome, since the damage was taken before Kha'Zix reached his fountain. Therefore, no bug.

CRS

Looks to me like the Kog ultimate hit before Kha'Zix based (but during the half-second immunity where a recall cannot be stopped even though damage can still be dealt). This means that homeguard activating was the correct outcome, since the damage was taken before Kha'Zix reached his fountain. Therefore, no bug.

The issue people are having is that it takes 6 or 7 seconds of not taking damage for homeguards to activate. Nick Allen's explanation is Kha'Zix's Maw shielded the damage and therefore did not take any damage and was able to use homeguards. But what people are saying now is that Kha in fact did receive damage with the 2 HP loss so Homeguards shouldn't have activated, regardless if this was before he reached the fountain or after.

bokn

Banned
yea after watching the videos it def looks like a bug as ppl are replicating it without the hexdrinker

in any case it'd be nice if they streamlined the mobi boots/homeguard thing so it's less case specific

There is quite a big difference between player decisions and bugs that are out of the hands of players.

The issue people are having is that it takes 6 or 7 seconds of not taking damage for homeguards to activate. Nick Allen's explanation is Kha'Zix's Maw shielded the damage and therefore did not take any damage and was able to use homeguards. But what people are saying now is that Kha in fact did receive damage with the 2 HP loss so Homeguards shouldn't have activated, regardless if this was before he reached the fountain or after.

Sorry guys it's not a "bug".

It's a clarity issue - Homeguards/Recall is worded poorly. The likely problem is that if you recall, Homeguards will always activate. This is simply how its programmed - hence it is not a bug, but 'intended effect' because that's exactly how they wrote it. What I want to see is somebody deal damage to somebody without maw but fail to stop the recall - if they still get homeguards.

Alternatively, if it is readily reproduce-able by regular means then how can it be a bug if it ALWAYS HAPPENS. A bug is an unfortunate error. This is something that didn't happen the way that riot said it should, but it always happens. It is the game. And if it is the game, pro players should know that if you fail to interrupt a recall but still deal damage that the person will still get their homeguard effect.

CRS

The likely problem is that if you recall, Homeguards will always activate.
Because you haven't taken any damage, not because you recalled.

Alternatively, if it is readily reproduce-able by regular means then how can it be a bug if it ALWAYS HAPPENS. A bug is an unfortunate error.

Nope, this is wrong.

Top Bottom