• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends: Season 4 World Championship (Sep 17 - Oct 19)

Hai's inability to pick a decent matchup against the Zed is worrying.

It happened in their first game against Shield as well. Talon just doesn't really do well in that match up.

Wow, wake up to an amazing end to the group stages. Absolutely fantastic to see C9 beat NJWS. Wow, that Alliance is out, honestly did not even consider the possibility of them losing to Kabum.

I'm so damn happy that C9 made it out of groups.

You know, no matter who wins or loses this game, I think this group stage has shown that C9 is still the best NA team. God damn, they play so damn good.

Leezard

You can't over commit like that C9, you don't have the mechanics for it. :(

Things were going so well.

I guess no NA team will go further than quarters this year. SSB vs C9, SSW vs TSM. It's not going to happen with their average level of play.

bokn

Banned
Oh man GG group stages boys

C9 were playing so beautifully from behind... Up until hai tried to collapse instead of taking the inhibs. Then they had to play so desperately. Gg

Gooong was a beast on Zed though. Wow.

Wow. what a group stage.

I hope the knockout stages are this good.

This tournament has been incredible so far.

unfortunately one side of the bracket just seems flat out better than the other

If C9 had mechanical gods, they'd be the best team in the world. Two games in a row they seemingly work out a strategy on the fly to come back against Najin Shield (the kite back, Rumble ult Twitch, Zed half-commit-to-bait-Kayle ult thingy, and now this crazy splitpushing while Janna stalls bases). Oh man, if they could get to 20 minutes with a lead!

Bracket looks like this:

SSW/TSM vs. SSB/C9

EDG/SHRC vs. NJWS/OMG

Sofo

I liked that Hai was still happy at the end, they truly meant it to just "do their best and have fun". I'm glad they got far and got to still enjoy, even if it has to feel bitter to not make it past.

gg anyway, it was a game that had me on my toes all the time. >_<

Leezard

Look on the bright side, it's still better than they've done the past year or two, right?

Not really. Last year C9 lost in quarters against Fnatic. I guess it's better that there are two NA teams in quarters than one, but it's just the same result as last year, which was a huge disappointment for NA fans. That disappointment was mostly due to that the over hyped C9 lost against an European team and that C9 only got to play against Fnatic and no other team. Group stages this year has already delivered.

I dunno guys, I think C9 can take atleast a couple of games of SSB. I expect SSW vs TSM to be a stomp but C9 plays incredibly smart and SSB is all about teamfights. If C9 doesn't choke like they did in this last game with their decision making, they definitely can give SSB a run for their money.

This year is the first time since season 1 that an NA team has advanced a round in Worlds, and the first time ever that an NA team has taken a game from a Korean team during a Worlds event.

Edit: TSM were seeded into QFs in Season 2, and C9 were seeded into QFs in Season 3, but they lost to Azubu Frost (0-2) and Fnatic (1-2) respectively.

Leezard

This year is the first time since season 1 that an NA team has advanced a round in Worlds, and the first time ever that an NA team has taken a game from a Korean team during a Worlds event.

C9 did get a bye into quarters last year, so if they lose in quarters it's still the same result as last year.

Beating a Korean team once is a huge achievement for C9 though. NA fans should be prooud.

I dunno guys, I think C9 can take atleast a couple of games of SSB. I expect SSW vs TSM to be a stomp but C9 plays incredibly smart and SSB is all about teamfights. If C9 doesn't choke like they did in this last game with their decision making, they definitely can give SSB a run for their money.

NWS are more comfortable than C9 when it comes to facing SSB, though. If this game was a decider in being eliminated from the comp I'm sure NWS would have shut up shop a lot sooner, conversley, the indecision in C9's play at times was woeful given they had the chance to avoid top seed.

bokn

Banned
Visual brackets:
jm82gRW.png

cGt0aP4.png
vs
O7cMKQ6.png

t1412326800z4.png

See y'all then

Type2

C9 had some tough odds to fight through to make but they did it. I do think they have a chance to advance through the next stage unlike tsm.
This tournament proves the Korean teams aren't that far ahead. Ssw had an easy group so I'm mot ready to call them beasts.
Lmq did pretty well hopefully they get a good coach.

zkylon

zkylewd
montecristo says that 16-3 thing in comparison to ozone and sword last year but ironically the rose-tinted glasses thing is on him cos last year's korea got a shitty representation because of their stupid point system. the strong teams like ktb and blaze got left out so no shit korea overall underperfomed

this year tho it's pretty hard to say that the best korean teams aren't at worlds. maybe kta had an off-night but shield demolished everyone getting at the gauntlet thingie, it's nothing like last years.

so tbh i feel like other regions are catching up ever so slowly, while koreans haven't really showed a stronger dominance than skt did last year. they'll prolly beat everyone and we'll get korean vs korean finals but i feel like saying koreans extended the gap is prolly not looking at the full picture of what happened last worlds

ed: like we can't know for sure if ktb and blaze/frost/whoever would've stomped everyone but i think it's safe to assume so the same way we assume the koreans are stomping everyone right now

Balb

C9 had some tough odds to fight through to make but they did it. I do think they have a chance to advance through the next stage unlike tsm.
This tournament proves the Korean teams aren't that far ahead. Ssw had an easy group so I'm mot ready to call them beasts.
Lmq did pretty well hopefully they get a good coach.

I don't see c9 advancing. In the three games they played against NWS they trailed in gold throughout. They won the second game with smart rotations but I don't think they can overcome the skill gap and win reliably in a bo5. I'll be rooting for them like crazy but I don't see them taking off more than one game.

I think ALL and FNC could have had an outside shot of winning if they played their best but they're out and deservedly so for inconsistent play.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
A bit late to posting in this thread, but

HAHAHAHAHA SUCK IT ALLIANCE

AWWWWWW YIIIISSSSSSSSS

I really hope this loss ruined the day for Alliance fans who spew that "Wild Cards shouldn't exist" bullshit.

Go home!

Edwardo

I was halfway thru the kabum vs alliance match when my friend texted me the all results from today, all excited and thinking I stayed up to watch the matches.

Saved me a couple hours on youtube I guess..........

confuziz

Banned
A bit late to posting in this thread, but

HAHAHAHAHA SUCK IT ALLIANCE

AWWWWWW YIIIISSSSSSSSS

I really hope this loss ruined the day for Alliance fans who spew that "Wild Cards shouldn't exist" bullshit.

Go home!

Wow this guy has some serious problems.

Didn't you go crazy in the WC thread as well?

Jeez..

garath

Too bad c9 couldn't pull out that tie break. Put SSW against NWS and take an easy win from OMG. They'd play SSW in the end anyways but would have been nice.

Type2

I don't see c9 advancing. In the three games they played against NWS they trailed in gold throughout. They won the second game with smart rotations but I don't think they can overcome the skill gap and win reliably in a bo5. I'll be rooting for them like crazy but I don't see them taking off more than one game.

I think ALL and FNC could have had an outside shot of winning if they played their best but they're out and deservedly so for inconsistent play.
Of the Korean teams it looks like ssw>najin>ssb so it's possible. If any na teams have surprise strategies those are coming out at this stage for sure.

Top Bottom