• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends World Championships 2015 |OCT 1-OCT 31|

The fact two bans out of 6 have to go to Morde/GP every game just shows how desperately they need to add more bans to champ select.

Although now if they could, they would be able to completely wreck a jungler's pool with Gragas disabled.

Eh, it's just a stupid patch. They screwed up big time with the World's patch.

The rest of Season 5 was just fine.

AcridMeat

Banned
Eh, it's just a stupid patch. They screwed up big time with the World's patch.

The rest of Season 5 was just fine.
They did, and it soured pick/ban for the biggest tournament of the year, the more reworks and champions they add the more likely they screw up balancing again. It's time to update pick/ban phase.

I think people are banning them simply because they havent practiced enough with/against them since they were released so close to Worlds. Not necessarily because theyre OP.

GP and Morde saw the biggest changes out of all the Juggernauts.

I think someone explained (near the start of the tournament) that most teams think GP is a very bad pick into Mordekaiser so they don't want to leave both up. Mordekaiser accerelates the game with his dragon pushes and faster experience for him and his support, while GP wants a slow, farm heavy game to maximise his gold. Fnatic did leave both up against EDG, but they drafted extremely defensively after that and were holding out for the late game. Most teams probably don't have the confidence to attempt that.

kenbo

I think someone explained (near the start of the tournament) that most teams think GP is a very bad pick into Mordekaiser so they don't want to leave both up. Mordekaiser accerelates the game with his dragon pushes and faster experience for him and his support, while GP wants a slow, farm heavy game to maximise his gold. Fnatic did leave both up against EDG, but they drafted extremely defensively after that and were holding out for the late game. Most teams probably don't have the confidence to attempt that.
I heard the other way around

People say that Morde is a bad pick into GP because Morde has to walk into barrel range every time

but I see that Morde accelerates games and so that works against GP

Therefore, they work well against each other, you just have to draft well.

Teams just need to grow a pair on red side seriously.

Lol. Getting killed by a flash auto isn't kitable.
So morde is only relevant every 5 minutes??

The fact two bans out of 6 have to go to Morde/GP every game just shows how desperately they need to add more bans to champ select.

Although now if they could, they would be able to completely wreck a jungler's pool with Gragas disabled.
No, it shows how Riot needs to balance their game more aggressively leading up to worlds

Anyone know what the bug is?
If it affects Gragas, Ziggs and Lux, the one thing they share is the barrel/mine/trap.
There's a very slim chance that if you throw a Gragas Q it'll disappear and be stuck without being able to cast it again until you restart the client. I assume that affects Lux E and Ziggs satchel as well

Anyone know what the bug is?
If it affects Gragas, Ziggs and Lux, the one thing they share is the barrel/mine/trap.

spells that you can trigger early (barrel/mine/trap) sometimes get stuck and the game thinks it hasn't gone off yet but it already did meaning you can't cast that spell anymore.

nobody really knows when it happens, riot can't reproduce it.

Don't get me wrong, I agree, but I'm not confident in them doing that anymore.

Why are people so against more bans in champ select?
Because they'll just be used for targeted bans, changing effectively nothing about what is bad about the current draft while making games more boring because you'll never see stuff like Niels getting Kalista or Fenix getting Azir anymore.

Proper drafting is a skill. More bans will just dumb it down because now you get to ban overpowered stuff and also shut down specific players in the enemy team with no compromise whatsoever.

They did, and it soured pick/ban for the biggest tournament of the year, the more reworks and champions they add the more likely they screw up balancing again. It's time to update pick/ban phase.

It's not the solution.

If you look at that other game's major tournament, there are 10 heroes with 75%+ Pick/Ban rate, and it has less characters. League doesn't even have 6 champions with that 75+ Pick/Ban rate. 10 bans isn't going to do anything but stifle team comp creativity.

Imagine if a team targets the ADC for bans, there are only 16 Marksmens viable to pick. What are you left with if most of them are banned out or counterpicked?

10 bans work for that other game because the lane roles aren't the same as League. GP and Mordekaiser are just anomalies that could have been prevented if Rito had this patch in a month before summer split end.

AcridMeat

Banned
Definitely understand what both of you are saying, (haha "that other game...") I'm just supremely frustrated by this tournament and it's perma-morde/gp bans that lead to the blue advantage.

I mean I guess the hope is they learn their lesson and don't push a huge patch like this again without ample time to tune it.

Definitely understand what both of you are saying, (haha "that other game...") I'm just supremely frustrated by this tournament and it's perma-morde/gp bans that lead to the blue advantage.

I mean I guess the hope is they learn their lesson and don't push a huge patch like this again without ample time to tune it.

Well, at least the picks have been more diverse than they were last World's. The current meta is offering more diversity, but might be a result of GP/Morde being banned all the time.

72 picks so far versus the 50 picks of last year's Worlds.

zkylon

zkylewd
at this point it's abundantly clear it was a mistake to do the patch so close to worlds, but fortunately something that can be easily fixed for next years

i think champion diversity has been partly due to less amount of bans but rito should be properly credited for actually pushing that through all year.

i'd like to see numbers to be certain but i'm pretty sure it's been the year with most champion diversity in a while, thanks to a lot of disruption from rito with like the jungle changes, the ap itemization rework, the juggernaut and tank item stuff, and lots of reworks in general.

i think it's been a really succesful year for league as a game despite this worlds hiccup

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'd rather them not do all the bans in the beginning so that way it mixes things up a bit. like dota2 did.

I like Fnatic's odds against KOO. Huni's shown he knows how to handle Fiora in lane, at the very least on Riven, and presumably he also knows the match-up on Darius at a minimum. There's no practical way to ban out both, especially red side. I also feel like Fnatic's more likely to pick Kench than ban him, which will probably scare KOO off the Ashe pick entirely in one or more games.

Fnatic's default compositions work fairly well into KOO's, and there just aren't enough non-generic bans available in this meta for them to pick their way out of that problem if Fnatic's smart about it, especially when Fnatic has blue side. I don't really feel like Kuro has any significant edge over Febiven, either.

Kuro is a considerably weaker mid than Febiven IMO.

Leezard

I think top and bot lane are indeed receiving the most attention right now. Not that we haven't seen mid lane carrying though, just look at Febiven's latest Leblanc game.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think top and bot lane are indeed receiving the most attention right now. Not that we haven't seen mid lane carrying though, just look at Febiven's latest Leblanc game.
i forget which one was it, i think he had a good and a bad leblanc game, but febiven's been one of the stars of the tournament for sure, specially since he's had a lot of versatility and individual success. it's not like faker that's just playing random shit and feeding and getting carried

but it's been a top/adc centric tournament which makes sense in a tank meta, mids get more of a utility role

to me it kind of sucks cos midlaners are usually the most mechanically skilled players and the most fun to watch. watching uzi or imp or piglet at their primes might've been impressive but it's certainly nowhere near as fun as an midlaner duel (i think godv had a really good ekko vs azir outplay) or just a wombo combo like xpeke's ori against kt

fiora play has been awesome tho

Leezard

i forget which one was it, i think he had a good and a bad leblanc game, but febiven's been one of the stars of the tournament for sure, specially since he's had a lot of versatility and individual success. it's not like faker that's just playing random shit and feeding and getting carried

but it's been a top/adc centric tournament which makes sense in a tank meta, mids get more of a utility role

to me it kind of sucks cos midlaners are usually the most mechanically skilled players and the most fun to watch. watching uzi or imp or piglet at their primes might've been impressive but it's certainly nowhere near as fun as an midlaner duel (i think godv had a really good ekko vs azir outplay) or just a wombo combo like xpeke's ori against kt

fiora play has been awesome tho

Febiven had that game against AHQ where he had limited success with LB (some really nice kills such as jumping on Jinx exactly when Tahm Kench spit her out), getting killed some and then finally when Fnatic has lost 3 inhibs he pretty much oneshot Jinx which won Fnatic the game. That's the bad game I think.

He had that game against EDG where he went 8-0 and it was a pure stomp as well.

I still think we see some beautiful Anivia play and some nice Azir plays, but it's no Faker vs Ryu Zed duel, that's for sure. Watching Fiora is also nice.

Faker has been playing late game scaling insurance champs, so he doesn't carry until late game, which they never really get to. He still has huge affect on the game by destroying his lane opponent in CS.

zkylon

zkylewd
Febiven had that game against AHQ where he had limited success with LB (some really nice kills such as jumping on Jinx exactly when Tahm Kench spit her out), getting killed some and then finally when Fnatic has lost 3 inhibs he pretty much oneshot Jinx which won Fnatic the game. That's the bad game I think.

He had that game against EDG where he went 8-0 and it was a pure stomp as well.

I still think we see some beautiful Anivia play and some nice Azir plays, but it's no Faker vs Ryu Zed duel, that's for sure. Watching Fiora is also nice.
ah that's true, in one of the anivia games peke was a joy to watch.

but they've been mostly very tame plays by midlaners this worlds, which kind of makes me sad

Faker has been playing late game scaling insurance champs, so he doesn't carry until late game, which they never really get to. He still has huge affect on the game by destroying his lane opponent in CS.
speaking of, fuck ryze and everything about him

what a shitty champion

zkylon

zkylewd
not really, ryze is just a shitty champion and it's a pity to see someone as talented as faker just passively farm and then mash buttons with him

wish he was playing something that wasn't garbage

tho faker played pretty terrible with azir so maybe it's for the best

not really, ryze is just a shitty champion and it's a pity to see someone as talented as faker just passively farm and then mash buttons with him

wish he was playing something that wasn't garbage

tho faker played pretty terrible with azir so maybe it's for the best

Don't worry, in three years they'll "remake" him again and he'll be Fine(tm).

Faker's picks so far:

3x Ryze (vs. EDG twice, vs. AHQ)
1x Azir (vs. H2K)
1x Olaf (vs. BKT)
1x Karthus (vs. H2K)
1x Twisted Fate (vs. BKT)
1x Lulu (vs. AHQ)
1x Kassadin (vs. AHQ)

cHinzo

Would be really sad to see a Kr vs Kr finals. Hoping for an upset here. This is the best chance to reach the finals in years.

My preference for finals:

SKT vs Fnatic

or

SKT vs Koo

I absolutely don't want OG vs Fnatic because like the LCS Split, I expect current Fnatic to just walk all over them making it a fairly boring finals.

NSESN

My preference for finals:

SKT vs Fnatic

or

SKT vs Koo

I absolutely don't want OG vs Fnatic because like the LCS Split, I expect current Fnatic to just walk all over them making it a fairly boring finals.

LCS final were really competitive, SKT vs Koo was a big stomp the last times they met

I think it has to be Fnatic for the finals to be at all competitive. As much as I love KOO I just can't see them matching up to SKT. Faker will destroy Kuro.

Top Bottom