• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Cold Stream looks kind of terrible, plays pretty badly, and has really awkward design.

I keep getting stuck on rocks, and everything looks so plain. Like the map was made for HL2 Deathmatch or something. It just lacked any sort of detail that you find in Swamp Fever, a similarly styled map.

Also way too many explosions.

Also I get stuck on rocks and random ledges and the design of the map doesn't really feel progressive. Sometimes it was difficult to tell which way we were suppose to go.

Mr_Zombie

Botolf said:
Anyone play Highway to Hell recently? It's a user campaign that came out recently, has highly polished visuals and excellent level design. It's definitely deserving of official status.

Is there any place, other than l4dmaps.com, where I can download it? I've tried to download the map from the site several times now and the archive is always corrupted :/

You know what I want to see in Cold Stream...

The CSS weapons unlocked for everyone. And this is for several reasons
1. Cold Stream is a terrible map, and adding the L4D campaigns is more exciting than Cold Stream. If I were paying for the DLC (PC gamer), I don't think I would be very happy with the value.
2. Valve is lazy and will not make new weapons. We did not get new weapons in the Sacrifice, and this disappointed me.
3. The weapons exist, are in the game, have animations and sounds, plus icons. All they need is some minor tweaks and to fix a few small graphical glitches and they're done. On top of that, practically nobody knows they exist, so it's a win win. For most people, it'll be 5 brand new weapons to add more value to the DLC
4. German L4D2 isn't even censored anymore
5. We got the bat in the Passing unlocked for everyone.

I made a SPUF Thread about this, and I was hoping more people noticed it.

vertopci

Or they could tell the mapmaker to get the fuck out because he fucking sucks at mapmaking, then can the map because it fucking sucks, and then get a competent mapper to make a community map.

Problem solved!

edit: also stop capitalizing the v in my name you god damn bastards.

vertopci said:
Or they could tell the mapmaker to get the fuck out because he fucking sucks at mapmaking, then can the map because it fucking sucks, and then get a competent mapper to make a community map.

Problem solved!
The ending is hilarious. I just watched it on YouTube, I hadn't actually beaten the campaign because it's god awful.

helicopter crashes for no reason > RANDOM FOREST FIRE YOU NEVER SEE > lol just kidding, here's a new helicopter instantly

It seems like the first helicopter explodes just to have an explosion. And when you get to the slow-motion part, I seriously thought my game was glitching and I was lagging like crazy. Who puts slow-motion into a game that never had slow-motion before?

It's like it doesn't want to have a story, but at the same time, the creator wants some kind of dramatic story cloned from every other map in the entire game.

That's why I want CSS weapons. At least new weapons would make the superior other campaigns feel different and new :(
And a hunting knife... uhh... fits into the forest. Yea, there's the real justification!

GriffD17

Popped this in again the other day just for giggles. I still haven't gotten through the campaigns, and can't seem to get a decent pub group. If anyone is still playing this or up for playing on the 360, shoot me a message. GT griffd17

Conceptor

vertopci said:

Problem solved!

edit: also stop capitalizing the v in my name you god damn bastards.

what about vertop ci?
Thing I miss: our games :(. Things I don't: That clone dude!!
Feels good to be able to finally post in this thread, though at this point it seems kinda moot..

Divius

I fucking hate public games at times.

Was playing a random game of Dark Carnival Campaign Realism on Normal (I know, I know) and these 3 guys would keep running off alone getting into trouble, while I basically had to use my superman hearing to find out where the heck they were, since no one responded to either my voice nor chat, and save them quickly before they'd die. For me it was kinda fun, since it formed a bit of a challenge which Realism Normal doesn't do for me anymore.

Then I failed to save this guy once, despite me saving him 3 times before from smoker/jockey and a gangrape-horde, only to have him kill us all in the next saferoom while he was yelling 'Motherf*ckers!' at us through his mic.

*sigh*

Then again, this afternoon I had quite a fun public Versus game.

What does L4D2-gaf think of Scavenge btw? I have literally played it for only 20 minutes, so I still need all of the Scavenge-related achievements and have no idea if it actually is any fun since no one from my friends plays it.

&Divius said:
What does L4D2-gaf think of Scavenge btw? I have literally played it for only 20 minutes, so I still need all of the Scavenge-related achievements and have no idea if it actually is any fun since no one from my friends plays it.

Scavenge is awesome. The mall map is overused but classic. It's a nice twist on Vs.

An-Det said:
Somehow I have never played it. It seems cool, but I've never booted up the game and gone 'fuck yeah let's play Scavenge!'.

You should. I was hooked on it for months.

An-Det

The mutation changes every 2 weeks right? I really want to play some Survival Versus but had zero time last week.

&Divius said:

Somehow I have never played it. It seems cool, but I've never booted up the game and gone 'fuck yeah let's play Scavenge!'.

Qatar

Same for me, I'm so addicted to L4D, but for Scavenge, I played it once and never played it again, when I launch the game I only think of playing the campaign

ameratsu

Agreed that scav is awesome. Only downside (when I actively played it) was that most people only wanted to play the mall level.

vertopci

Conceptor said:
what about vertop ci?
Thing I miss: our games :(. Things I don't: That clone dude!!
Feels good to be able to finally post in this thread, though at this point it seems kinda moot..

Dude con

con dude

hi

MNC

Seems like a good place to ask:

I'm running Left 4 Dead 2 on the highest of the high on my new laptop but I don't get any dynamic shadows from flashlight. This actually happens with Half Life 2 Episode Two as well. What gives? :(

i finally picked this up after plowing through the first one for many months but i cant help not feeling that certain feel of wanting to plow through the campaign online like I did part1. maybe its becuase i keep being teamed up with people who stray off or what.

vertopci

Sega1991 said:
I'm surprised there's a tournament scene for L4D given a heavy portion of the game centers around some sort of adapting randomization.

The shitty version of the game does. The awesome version doesn't.

Sibylus

Banned
MNC said:
Seems like a good place to ask:

I'm running Left 4 Dead 2 on the highest of the high on my new laptop but I don't get any dynamic shadows from flashlight. This actually happens with Half Life 2 Episode Two as well. What gives? :(
What version of DirectX are you running?

Playing on the 360, anyone interested in hooking up for some games? i just hate public games.

i always play hexpert, sometimes in realism sometimes not, and mostly campaigns. A bit rusty as i popped this in just today after some months of inactivity, but it's a favourite, and i finished both left4deads on expert

Sibylus

Banned
Mandoric said:
Wow, that last community map is really amazing. Each level has its own unique gimmick or two.
I take it you mean Suicide Blitz 2? I agree, it's really high quality work, even features a bonus Portal 2 course hidden away on the finale. This, I Hate Mountains, and Highway to Hell are three excellent candidates for getting into the game next.

Teknoman

Should get a flood of new people with today's deal. The newest mutation (Lone Gunman) sounds kinda cool. Nothing but you and your magnum vs zombies? Lets do it.

Teknoman

So how is the random community when playing campaign these days? Been wanting to blast some zombies for awhile, and a big sale night seems as good a time as any.

Also i'm surprised no one has made a decent RE2/RE3 inspired map surrounding the Raccoon city police department and Nemesis acting like a tank.

Palmer_v1

If there are any folks new to the game, a friend and I need 2 more novices to run some campaigns with tonight. Trying to avoid people who have the levels completely memorized, as getting lost is part of the fun to me.

Flunkie

Banned
Been away from the game for awhile, just installed it again due to Cold Stream. It's not that great. What are some of the best community maps that you guys are talking about?

Palmer_v1 said:
If there are any folks new to the game, a friend and I need 2 more novices to run some campaigns with tonight. Trying to avoid people who have the levels completely memorized, as getting lost is part of the fun to me.
Depends on how late you're going to start. Steam ID: Flunkie

Teknoman

Palmer_v1 said:

Count me in too:

Steam ID: Teknoman I havent played normal maps in so long, it'll be fun to experience them all over again.

Palmer_v1

Alright, I sent you guys steam invites. Tygell is my profile name i think. Just waiting for my friend to finish whatever he's doing atm.

Flunkie said:
Been away from the game for awhile, just installed it again due to Cold Stream. It's not that great. What are some of the best community maps that you guys are talking about?

If you think Cold Stream is bad now, try to consider that it's actually vastly improved compared to the original release.

Good fan campaigns? Hm.

Highway to Hell
I Hate Mountains
Death Aboard
One4Nine

Sounds like people really like Suicide Blitz 2, as well. I haven't tried it myself.

Teknoman

In the Nevada Desert, the U.S. Army have built a Military base around an ancient 'alien tomb' and after years of trying have managed to open it. Four survivors heard rumors of a fortified safe zone in the base, but have no knowledge of the tomb nor what will await them upon arrival...

Yeah, I think I need to play One 4 Nine. I hate mountains seems cool too. Any decent arctic/snow maps?

I've been playing I Hate Mountains 2 quite a bit and thought of giving a mini-review: in a word, it's brilliant. It could probably be an official campaign in L4D1 if Valve allowed it.

The set piece in the church was really unnerving to fumble your way through because of the layout, and it ended with a satisfying boom. The ending rescue scenario was well designed with lots of areas from which to make your last stand. The map was spacious enough to manoeuvre without hitting team mates and didn't have any empty feeling areas. Plus points awarded because I also didn't get lost once despite there being split paths and seemingly complex catacombs - the goal was always clear.

The graphical design of the map felt really genuine and consistent - no weirdly clashing locales like in some other community campaigns (such as the Mardi Gras right down the street from a mid-western hospital - wtf). Dark wooded areas created the perfect atmosphere which reminded me of Blood Harvest (and to an extent, Alan Wake lol). I loved the heavy rain storm, complete with loud effects and gorgeous lightning. The thing I like most of all is that this map doesn't really feel modded - there's no fan service, stupid tat or shit that looks like three guys made in one afternoon. It's all very professional looking.

The only minor complaints I have is that it's a bit shorter than other campaigns, but it's oh so sweeter and doesn't overstay its welcome with half-baked ideas. It is also a bit on the easy side, but I only played on normal and I assume it gets even better on advanced or expert. It's probably a good sign of difficulty balance actually since it can cater to everyone.

9/10, and i'd pay 540 allards for it if this was on 360

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I thought One 4 Nine was kinda shoddy. Better than Cold Stream, but no where near as polished as Mountains. Suicide Blitz really caught me off guard and it's stellar. There are a couple generic bits, but most of it is pretty damn creative. Death Aboard was about on par with One 4 Nine.

Gonna grab Highway to try out this week though, thanks for the heads up on that.

Teknoman

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I've been playing I Hate Mountains 2 quite a bit and thought of giving a mini-review: in a word, it's brilliant. It could probably be an official campaign in L4D1 if Valve allowed it.

The set piece in the church was really unnerving to fumble your way through because of the layout, and it ended with a satisfying boom. The ending rescue scenario was well designed with lots of areas from which to make your last stand. The map was spacious enough to manoeuvre without hitting team mates and didn't have any empty feeling areas. Plus points awarded because I also didn't get lost once despite there being split paths and seemingly complex catacombs - the goal was always clear.

The graphical design of the map felt really genuine and consistent - no weirdly clashing locales like in some other community campaigns (such as the Mardi Gras right down the street from a mid-western hospital - wtf). Dark wooded areas created the perfect atmosphere which reminded me of Blood Harvest (and to an extent, Alan Wake lol). I loved the heavy rain storm, complete with loud effects and gorgeous lightning. The thing I like most of all is that this map doesn't really feel modded - there's no fan service, stupid tat or shit that looks like three guys made in one afternoon. It's all very professional looking.

The only minor complaints I have is that it's a bit shorter than other campaigns, but it's oh so sweeter and doesn't overstay its welcome with half-baked ideas. It is also a bit on the easy side, but I only played on normal and I assume it gets even better on advanced or expert. It's probably a good sign of difficulty balance actually since it can cater to everyone.

9/10, and i'd pay 540 allards for it if this was on 360

Guess i'll snag 2 instead of the first one. Anyone tried Wormwood or any other space based maps? Void looks like it'll be cool when finished.

void--preview-mission_21939.jpg

Is there a second I hate mountains? Also had no idea people could design custom bosses! More campaigns need stuff like that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Teknoman said:
Is there a second I hate mountains?
"This is it! No, we ain’t speaking about the Michael Jackson post-mortem movie but about the Left 4 Dead 2 version of I Hate Mountains subtly dubbed I Hate Mountains 2! We are hereby releasing the 1.2 version of both Left 4 Dead 1 and Left 4 Dead 2 versions of the campaign."

Angry Fork

I want to get more into this game but have heard horror stories of people treating you like shit if you don't know all the perfect places to go and so on. The game was kind of already spoiled for me because the first time I played through the campaigns was with experienced people so I didn't get to feel the surprises and learn from my mistakes. Any servers that just play casually and don't care if noobs come in? Not necessarily for versus but for campaign stuff.

Teknoman

Angry Fork said:
I want to get more into this game but have heard horror stories of people treating you like shit if you don't know all the perfect places to go and so on. The game was kind of already spoiled for me because the first time I played through the campaigns was with experienced people so I didn't get to feel the surprises and learn from my mistakes. Any servers that just play casually and don't care if noobs come in? Not necessarily for versus but for campaign stuff.

I'd like to think there are, but for the most part, if you join the two L4D GAF groups and just invite others to join, you should have tons of fun. At least that should be the easiest way to find people to play that wont scream "OMG NOOB GO RIGHT AHRUAD!" through your speakers/headset.

Fixed the link for Highway to Hell so it points to the Left4Dead 2 version, incidentally.

I agree that One4Nine wasn't like, super great, but I thought it had enough charm - that being said, it runs out of steam about halfway through the campaign and sort of languishes in very similar-feeling environments. The ending is also kind of weird, but enjoyable in sort of a "what the fuck was that" way.

I Hate Mountains and to a lesser extent Highway to Hell could basically pass for Valve campaigns, though. Unfortunately both of them are kind of busted as far as Versus Mode is concerned. If you're just playing campaign, though, they're plenty fun.

There's also Dead Before Dawn, but I personally found that to be seriously overblown. Lots of pretty custom assets, but sloppy as hell as far as polish is concerned. They re-released the campaign three separate times over the course of a year or so and STILL managed to rush the final release out without fixing simple things.

Top Bottom