• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

vertopci

_Bro said:
I have zero understanding of the multiplayer match interface on PC. You guys are playing confogl and I can't figure out how to do that.

Custom maps? Holy shit, you're blowing my mind.

To play other configs, you have to have a server. Then just run some commands and the server is set to confogl configuration.

If you're on PC add me on steam and we'll play confogl sometime.

afternoon delight said:
I've downloaded 2 evil eyes, The Last Stand port job, and I Hate Mountains. Any other suggestions for mod-campaign based excellence?

I second all the campaigns posted above me, and Dead Series is pretty good too.

ameratsu

MoFuzz said:
Pfft, confogl is for n00bz. I roll with vanilla and the amount of skill necessary to p0wn is way more than some stupid ass mod.

You think you know what's best for the game moreso than Valve?

lawl

I sort of agree. I am against modded server when they are changed in ways that makes the game easier -- usually through random and haphazard changes to the base versus ruleset. I always use your bolded statement to berate them because it amazes me that some random l4d2 server admin knows what a Valve game needs better than Valve. I guess I don't apply this same scrutiny to confogl changes because I like how they form a cohesive whole, though I wouldn't want to play that config exclusively.

For two good teams, realism is more fun than vanilla versus. You're right though that it's harder to destory a team playing vanilla vs than confogl because the massive amount of items that are given out at almost every step of the map, so the si team will have to really be on top of things to defeat a good survivor team. I like realism versus a lot more than regular versus though when I'm playing with a team, which is almost always.

I wouldn't mind playing with some of you though.

How can I share my steamid without making viewable by anyone who visits the forum?

vertopci

ameratsu said:
How can I share my steamid without making viewable by anyone who visits the forum?

Hide it in an email tag. [email = STEAMIDHERE][/email] but remove all the spaces in the tag.

Also Fuzz was just trolling. He loves confogl!
I think

q_q

vertopci said:
Hide it in an email tag. [email = STEAMIDHERE][/email] but remove all the spaces in the tag.

Also Fuzz was just trolling. He loves confogl!
I think
I don't know I'm kind of skeptical of confogl. Vanilla has built in balance instruments that keep it from being too hard to play one side or the other. Confogl and other mods like it interrupt that balance and make it way too hard on survivors.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've also been playing this for the first time on PC. It runs, looks and controls remarkably better than the 360 version but I have no one to play with, so if anyone needs a potential co-op partner who kinds of sucks, add me (ID in gaf profile).

can't wait for L4D1 campaigns to be carried over

vertopci

q_q said:
I don't know I'm kind of skeptical of confogl. Vanilla has built in balance instruments that keep it from being too hard to play one side or the other. Confogl and other mods like it interrupt that balance and make it way too hard on survivors.

No vanilla has gameplay made to keep people with less than 20 hours balanced. Anymore and the balanced is fucked in every way. Basically play more vs and you'll see how wrong what you said is.

Hell even on confogl people make it to the saferoom 90% of the time on most maps.

q_q

vertopci said:
No vanilla has gameplay made to keep people with less than 20 hours balanced. Anymore and the balanced is fucked in every way. Basically play more vs and you'll see how wrong what you said is.

Hell even on confogl people make it to the saferoom 90% of the time on most maps.
Not sure what you're talking about. I have over 200 hours of l4d2 and I can tell you certifiably that confogl messes with the natural balance of the game. But hey if you like unbalanced stacked games then more power to you.

ameratsu

q_q said:
Not sure what you're talking about. I have over 200 hours of l4d2 and I can tell you certifiably that confogl messes with the natural balance of the game. But hey if you like unbalanced stacked games then more power to you.

I'm with him in that vanilla l4d2 versus is too easy for experienced players. The 'natural balance of the game' just doesn't work when you have a survivor team that knows what they're doing. There's too many health items, spawns take too long, tier 2s are very powerful, witches are too easy.

It's not perfect, but confogl addresses some of the shortfalls of vanilla versus. I like realism versus, though it has problems too.

vertopci

q_q said:

Then the only games you have ever played are pub games.

Play a real game of versus with actual coordination and you'll see how broken as shit vanilla is. The infected are weak as shit compared to the survivors due to melee spam, shitload of throwables, health items everywhere, tier 2 spam, etc. I could go on and on.

q_q

vertopci said:
Then the only games you have ever played are pub games.

Play a real game of versus with actual coordination and you'll see how broken as shit vanilla is. The infected are weak as shit compared to the survivors due to melee spam, shitload of throwables, health items everywhere, tier 2 spam, etc. I could go on and on.
Tier 2 is probably the only thing that makes tanks livable in this game. Also health kits and melee weapons make the game more balanced for survivors. I have played plenty of l4d versus games against serious opponents and also in a few tourneys, I know what I'm talking about. If you play against a decent infected team, cofogl makes it nearly impossible to be effective as survivors. Maybe you just haven't had much experience against a good infected team.

q_q said:
Tier 2 is probably the only thing that makes tanks livable in this game. Also health kits and melee weapons make the game more balanced for survivors. I have played plenty of l4d versus games against serious opponents and also in a few tourneys, I know what I'm talking about. If you play against a decent infected team, cofogl makes it nearly impossible to be effective as survivors. Maybe you just haven't had much experience against a good infected team.
I miss the :lol smiley. Also L4D2 sucks.

The Lamp

I don't think the game was intended for Survivors to easily make it to the end of any level in Versus. The point system suggests that it's supposed to be rare and valuable to make it all the way to the end of a level. At least that's what I think.

What is confogl? I'm interested.

vertopci

q_q said:

Ok look, it's as simple as this: You suck at L4D2. Sorry bro but that's a simple fact. Also, I don't know wtf kind of tourneys you play because tourney standard is confogl. And in those tourneys, teams SURVIVE. Because they don't suck. Like you do.

The Lamp said:
I don't think the game was intended for Survivors to easily make it to the end of any level in Versus. The point system suggests that it's supposed to be rare and valuable to make it all the way to the end of a level. At least that's what I think.

What is confogl? I'm interested.

It's a mod for versus mode. Forces tanks every map, kits are replaced with pills, tier 2 removed, reduced spawn timers and a bunch of other stuff. Basically balances out the game for people who aren't terrible at it.

q_q

vertopci said:
Ok look, it's as simple as this: You suck at L4D2. Sorry bro but that's a simple fact. Also, I don't wtf kind of tourneys you play because tourney standard is confogl. And in those tourneys, teams SURVIVE. Because they don't suck. Like you do.
Come at me bro. I'll be happy to play you in vs any time so long as its not on confogl. If you want a fair game, I'll play you in a vanilla versus match. Just bring three friends with you buddy. Let me know.

vertopci

q_q said:
Come at me bro. I'll be happy to play you in vs any time so long as its not on confogl. If you want a fair game, I'll play you in a vanilla versus match. Just bring three friends with you buddy. Let me know.

All I hear is "WAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAA I suck at survivor and can't survive maps"

I've also been playing this for the first time on PC. It runs, looks and controls remarkably better than the 360 version but I have no one to play with, so if anyone needs a potential co-op partner who kinds of sucks, add me (ID in gaf profile).

can't wait for L4D1 campaigns to be carried over
Added. Let's play some games this week before vacation time, cool avatar guy. I have a mic and pretty much prefer advanced/expert runs. Haven't ventured into VS or scavenge.

Feels good man to have DLC downloaded automatically.

Sibylus

Banned
Probably noticed by everyone ever, but the wording of the poll would suggest Crash Course is coming in the DLC as well. Perhaps the blog post was a typo?

Also, re: Versus. If both teams survive constantly, I feel that it just drags the game out and it becomes a bit tedious. If the humans are expending every bit of health to get to the saferoom, that's exciting and is more of a high stakes situation. So I can enjoy vanilla or Realism Versus when it plays like that, I'm fine with confogl as well (as the experience often goes like that). I have Coop for when I want to survive the campaigns often.

vazel

Banned
Can't believe someone's arguing for vanilla. Vanilla heavily favors survivors. A competent survivor team that use their mics will almost never go down in vanilla. Looks like someone has only played pub games. I think there's a website out there that hooks you up into l4d matches with more experienced competitive players than you get in a pub match.

That being said I do like playing pub games because of all the idiocy and hilarity that goes on. I swear I will never get tired of seeing all the rage emotion in this game it's very funny. Has there been any other game that has incited so much emotion?
explode.gif

q_q

vazel said:
Can't believe someone's arguing for vanilla. Vanilla heavily favors survivors. A competent survivor team that use their mics will almost never go down in vanilla. Looks like someone has only played pub games. I think there's a website out there that hooks you up into l4d matches with more experienced competitive players than you get in a pub match.

That being said I do like playing pub games because of all the idiocy and hilarity that goes on. I swear I will never get tired of seeing all the rage emotion in this game it's very funny. Has there been any other game that has incited so much emotion?
explode.gif
As I said before I have played in many serious games/tourneys. Confogl is the Oblivion to vanilla l4d's Morrowind. True fans of the series will understand what's important and will play the way that makes the game balanced and good. The rest will enjoy style over substance.

drkOne

q_q said:
Also health kits (...) make the game more balanced for survivors. I have played plenty of l4d versus games against serious opponents and also in a few tourneys, I know what I'm talking about. If you play against a decent infected team, cofogl makes it nearly impossible to be effective as survivors. Maybe you just haven't had much experience against a good infected team.
If by "more balanced" you mean "way too easy for any set of 4 random people that know how to at least shoot, melee and where to go", then yeah.

If you play against a decent infected team, in confogl, and are effective, your odds of finishing the map are pretty good.
I don't get how confogl keeps you from being effective. It strips the game down to its basics and makes you use what you have efficiently...

So, other than your last assumption being wrong, I'll add that... Maybe you just don't how to be effective as survivors, against a decent infected team.

q_q said:
As I said before I have played in many serious games/tourneys.
Would you mind naming some? I'd like to have a slight notion of what kind of experiences you have had. Won't judge you based on "how pro you are", but it's possible that we had different experiences and thus have different opinions.

q_q

I don't like to name the tournaments I've played in or the aliases I've used. When I play, it's for the love of the game, not for name recognition. What I will tell you is I've played against very serious, good l4d teams in both confogl and vanilla and vanilla almost always led to a more satisfactory gaming experience for both sides. You can call that wrong if you want, but it's the truth.

vertopci

q_q said:
I don't like to name the tournaments I've played in or the aliases I've used. When I play, it's for the love of the game, not for name recognition. What I will tell you is I've played against very serious, good l4d teams in both confogl and vanilla and vanilla almost always led to a more satisfactory gaming experience for both sides. You can call that wrong if you want, but it's the truth.

So basically you have never played in any tournaments and you suck at L4D2. Ok glad we got that cleared up.

drkOne

q_q said:
What about names of teams you've played against? I think it's pointless to have a deep discussion about such matter when what you've brought to the table so far has been...

"I've played with very serious teams that made survivor side impossible to play"
Which teams? From what I've experienced and seen, this is not true. No matter how good the Infected side is, you can always play effectively and finish the map, if you're on the same skill level.

"The game is unbalanced"
Why? Why is Vanilla any more balanced than confogl?
Tier 2 is OP and Med Kits are a way of covering mistakes.

"Vanilla is more satisfactory"
Why? Vanilla gives you so much aid that killing a Tank isn't any harder than pushing through a simple horde... You use Medkit after Medkit, without ever caring about playing recklessly and losing precious HP that will make the difference in the end.
And we all know that in the end, if one team ends up with 4 players with 80+ HP and no kits used and the other team with 20- HP without any kit left, they'll only have a 25 point distance on a 400-800 point map.
That's satisfactory?

ameratsu

close game...

Tbjqt.jpg

Going into the passing finale we were down by 46 points. Opposing team cleared it but used 2 defibs in the process. My team cleared it without using any. Thanks to the 2x25 defib penalty for the opposing team, our team won. Such a good round.

edit: steam's new screenshot feature is pretty rad as well.

drkOne

vertopci said:
Dude drkOne, I think you came on too strong. This is similar to seducing women, come on too strong and you'll scare them away.
Dude, only the weakest ones get scared. And it's always good to know what kind you're dealing with before giving your best effort.

_Bro

Banned
Yo, L4D2 pros, how do I get the regular server search? I want to see what servers are running this pro "confogl"

I also want to see ping.

HALP PLEASE!

vertopci

_Bro said:
Yo, L4D2 pros, how do I get the regular server search? I want to see what servers are running this pro "confogl"

I also want to see ping.

HALP PLEASE!

If you're lobby leader, open console and type sv_searchkey "confogl" then start game. Once in a server, you may have to have both teams type !match depending on the settings used by server.
Or you could just add me on steam and you can play or spectate a confogl match

There's also a server browser you can open by typing openserverbrowser in the console.

To see ping, open console and type net_graph 1.

Sibylus

Banned
Reading through some of the earliest pages of this thread again, all the amazement at Hard Rain puts a smile on my face. That campaign will definitely be a fond gaming memory for a long time to come, there's nothing like wading through that flooded cane field with a torrential downpour coming down on your head. So. fucking. good.

I'm going to go ahead and say, personally, this game is the best shooter of this gen/crop/etc.

I don't need to buy other FPS's brand new anymore, I don't ever worry about a flawless co-op experience, and the mechanics (gore, guns, characters, story, levels, exploration) stand out against most out there. Maybe it's my burn-out on military stuff, or my gradual pulling away from the faux-serious material they want to offer. Valve has crafted the most beautiful balance between fun, challenge, and aesthetic.

Nabs

Looks like there's a decent sized update being pushed through. I guess it's the Cold Stream beta. If anyone tries it, let me know how it plays.

Botolf said:
Reading through some of the earliest pages of this thread again, all the amazement at Hard Rain puts a smile on my face. That campaign will definitely be a fond gaming memory for a long time to come, there's nothing like wading through that flooded cane field with a torrential downpour coming down on your head. So. fucking. good.

We tried that with positional voice chat once. Holy crap. I just wish that was a regular feature in L4D.

An-Det

I'm not sure about sadistic, but I really did enjoy it. It's been a while since I consistently played so my reload and melee timing was rusty, but I did well enough. Definitely a worthy campaign to be added with the upcoming DLC.

Turfster

Welp, finally managed to reach the end of the finale, get up to the chopper in a sacrifice run... and the god damned thing won't end, so the tank punches me off.
I. HATE. This. Campaign.

I really liked Cold Stream - it introduces some genuinely new ideas (floating water death drop, an actually dangerous "shoot this object to proceed") and is full of places for infected to spawn/grief and there's at least one point of no return on every map.

It doesn't look as good as I Hate Mountains but it does look a lot better than 2 Evil Eyes and the flowing water looks better than any other water I've ever seen in the source engine.

duckroll

Cold Stream is hilarious. Too bad Turfster couldn't get the finale end to trigger. We played another game after he bailed out, and it worked fine when Mandoric got in and left the right of us behind to die. Looool.

duckroll

My favorite parts of Cold Stream:
- The HDR "blinding" light effect at the start of map 2
- Crossing the really narrow platforms at various parts of the campaign
- The flooding staircase towards the end of map 2
- The wide open tank fight at the start of map 3, where team mates can climb the building to shoot at the tank while others distract him in the open field below

Those are really good ideas, and implemented well.

Top Bottom