• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Sibylus

Banned
jambo said:
Gameplay > Graphics
Not to mention that it isn't an eyesore at all. In some places it's pretty darn beautiful, more polish should bring up the quality of the rest a fair bit (as a lot of solid foundation has already been laid).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jambo said:
Gameplay > Graphics
I dunno, the gameplay felt fairly shit as well in VS. A lot of getting caught on random shit as Infected. The map flow is also pretty bad (Valve is masterful when it comes to having you naturally find your way through an environment).

Sh1ner

Bought L4D2 on sale a while back, hated it cause it felt consolised to hell and back and its performance was horrible.

Redownloaded on a nudge by a friend, near constant 60fps + awesome gameplay and I have only played the campaigns. I wish there were a way to make the guns smaller on my screen, the deagle is massive.

duckroll

Stallion Free said:
I dunno, the gameplay felt fairly shit as well in VS. A lot of getting caught on random shit as Infected. The map flow is also pretty bad (Valve is masterful when it comes to having you naturally find your way through an environment).

These complaints would all be valid for 2 Evil Eyes (terrible navigation, problems spawning or attacking as infected in VS, etc). I don't know if they're valid for Cold Stream. For starters, the navigation is much, much better and we didn't get lost at all while playing this campaign. It was just pretty damn hard. As for technical problems, it's a beta, so I'm sure a lot of it will be fixed eventually. I haven't tried this in VS yet though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
duckroll said:
These complaints would all be valid for 2 Evil Eyes (terrible navigation, problems spawning or attacking as infected in VS, etc). I don't know if they're valid for Cold Stream. For starters, the navigation is much, much better and we didn't get lost at all while playing this campaign. It was just pretty damn hard. As for technical problems, it's a beta, so I'm sure a lot of it will be fixed eventually. I haven't tried this in VS yet though.
Just being better than 2 Evil Eyes (if that's the map I think I play... *shudders*) isn't enough. I have dumped at least 50 hours into each Valve map and this is nowhere near that level. We missed the way we were suppose to go a number of times. And somehow I don't think the visuals will get polished. I mean the rocks look so awkward all over the stream, the bumpmapping on them looks weird, and there were really weirdly colored reeds in a bunch of places (they stuck out from the color scheme like a sore thumb)

I Hate Mountains on the other hand, with a bit of beta testing to polish out VS, could easily pass for a Valve map. If you haven't played it I highly recommend it.

duckroll

Stallion Free said:
I Hate Mountains on the other hand, with a bit of beta testing to polish out VS, could easily pass for a Valve map. If you haven't played it I highly recommend it.

I've played it. Didn't enjoy it much at all. I felt 2 Evil Eyes was much more creative and interesting to play, even if there were serious problems. I Hate Mountains was a pretty... generic campaign to be honest. I don't get the love.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
duckroll said:
I've played it. Didn't enjoy it much at all. I felt 2 Evil Eyes was much more creative and interesting to play, even if there were serious problems. I Hate Mountains was a pretty... generic campaign to be honest. I don't get the love.
The atmosphere was stellar, something that both of these campaigns completely lack.

Sibylus

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I love IHM, but I disagree. A lot of the atmosphere was excellent, but at points it becomes noticeably uneven (such as the sewers and underground caverns, and the discordant use of HL2 assets throughout the campaign). To be frank, it was a very "safe" campaign, excellent, but safe. Standing up against the other Valve campaigns, it doesn't really have its own voice or character, from both the perspective of atmosphere and gameplay.

Neither does 2 evil eyes, which was highly derivative of Swamp Fever, but there was a glimmer of potential in the latter half (the gator park finale in particular was one of the more unique sets I've seen in a custom campaign, it was gorgeous too).

Cold Stream, however, has a far better chance of standing on its own next to the Valve campaigns. It isn't particularly polished at this moment, but it has a lot of potential and has a solid foundation to build on. What the author created by the end of 2 evil eyes is a pretty solid testament to his ability to make something fairly unique within constraints, and with the limited assets he's been given. The way the stream forms the backbone of the level, how the path meanders from and back to it, the introduction of infrastructure that revolves around this singular geographical feature, these are all solid things to build upon. A lot could be done with the lighting and other atmospheric tweaks, but that is something that can come later. Right now, the campaign has a solid theme and I'm confident the author and Valve will make the most of it.

duckroll

2 Evil Eyes has the boat scene. That alone is worth a bucket of lolz the first time you play it and don't expect it. The boat started moving with my teammates, and I got left behind and couldn't catch up, got mobbed by zombies and LEFT 4 DEAD. :lol

Sibylus

Banned
duckroll said:
2 Evil Eyes has the boat scene. That alone is worth a bucket of lolz the first time you play it and don't expect it. The boat started moving with my teammates, and I got left behind and couldn't catch up, got mobbed by zombies and LEFT 4 DEAD. :lol
Goddamn acid water had me curled up like a baby :p

But yeah, that was a clever idea, even if the execution needed a metric shitton of work. I really liked the rainstorm in the graveyard section later on, especially falling into a caved in section unawares and making your way through the underground, with shafts to the sky overhead.

duckroll

I appreciate the creativity of unique set pieces in campaigns, because it makes them more memorable. It's very much the same with Valve's own campaigns, where the ones I like most are the ones where almost every map has a defining moment which makes it stand apart from the others.

Sibylus

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Have either of you played it in VS?
Uh, which custom? IHM, Cold Stream?

I've played neither in Versus, but the latter seemed pretty evidently unbalanced for Versus when we played coop. Not enough metaphorical tree limbs around the kill spots, it was comical :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm pretty sure opinions will change once you try (Cold Stream) in VS.

7 out of 8 of us last night hated it and that one person wasn't part of our core group and based on the stuff he was saying last night, he has shit taste.

duckroll

I Hate Mountains VS - It worked, but we didn't really like it enough unanimously to play it much. Like I said, I felt it was generic, and it wasn't really all that fun.

2 Evil Eyes VS - Pretty broken in places, but VERY popular. Most of us liked it, because it was wacky, and had some really evil moments where Infected can really take advantage of.

Cold Stream VS - Have not played, will try this weekend probably.

Edit: Again, I'm not defending it in VS. I'm defending it as a beta campaign. I feel for what it is right now, it's pretty solid and was very enjoyable (except when the finale doesn't work) in co-op campaign. I expect it to be semi-broken in VS though.

Sibylus

Banned
Stallion Free said:

7 out of 8 of us last night hated it and that one person wasn't part of our core group and based on the stuff he was saying last night, he has shit taste.
Hated it because of the aforementioned geometry issues, I take it?

I honestly don't see how playing it in VS would change my opinion in regards to its potential compared to a fixed quantity like IHM. For good or worse, it was the spitting image of Death Toll, made little use of the titular mountains, and played it entirely safe with gameplay. I won't comment on its value in VS for infected play, but I'm speaking in more general terms here. The IHM guys could have done a lot more with their theme.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Botolf said:
Hated it because of the aforementioned geometry issues, I take it?

I honestly don't see how playing it in VS would change my opinion in regards to its potential compared to a fixed quantity like IHM. For good or worse, it was the spitting image of Death Toll, made little use of the titular mountains, and played it entirely safe with gameplay. I won't comment on its value in VS for infected play, but I'm speaking in more general terms here. The IHM guys could have done a lot more with their theme.
Massive geometry issues, poor map flow and severe ugliness.

Playing it safe seems like a better alternative to those things.

Just did a quick VS game on it and I found it fucking annoying to try and spawn as an infected. I was hidden in foliage, miles back, but it wouldn't let me spawn because the enemy could see me apparently. Big issue that needs to be fixed.

Sibylus

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Massive geometry issues, poor map flow and severe ugliness.
Geometry issues: This is the sort of thing testing is intended to weed out. Wouldn't expect to see much of those issues survive the full release.

Poor map flow: I'm speaking from the survivor side of things, but this isn't as big a problem as it seems. Even without expert use of lighting and props to add context and subtle cues, our team found the path ahead without much trouble at all.

The player path itself is inventive. Once more, the stream forms the backbone of the level's main path, but the level funnels survivors away from it, before leading them back to it. This is something it shares in common with many Valve maps, survivors are frequently diverted off the main path into side areas, before once again finding the main. Once the visual cue-ing is tightened up more, the player path will be more evident (for my own part, I made some suggestions in the map's forum to that effect).

Severe ugliness: Eye of the beholder and all that, but visual polish isn't as unlikely as you think. It's also one of the last things you nail down for release, not the first. And the mapper definitely knows how to put together a map that looks good.

Playing it safe seems like a better alternative to those things.
It isn't much of an alternative at all. If you do play it safe, testing will still reveal a long list of serious issues (even if it turns out fewer of them in all). IHM had its own fair share of issues, one in particular made it to release and was game-breaking (remember the bug with the chopper debris? survs could get trapped and die quite easily).

Cold Stream's taking some risks and has been put out there to be scrutinized by the l4d community at large. So long as that input and the input of Valve keeps flowing in and is heeded, the map will be a worthy addition. It's sitting in a position of opportunity that neither 2 Evil Eyes or I Hate Mountains had.

ameratsu

Played a quick match of advanced campaign with pubs last night and noticed it was spawning hordes and si way more quickly than usual. Not sure if that was the server or the campaign though. I was up to 550 common kills in the first 3 maps alone.

I like the campaign a lot but it seems like it would be somewhat difficult in versus which is good. While it clearly has issues, i think releasing it in an unfinished state is a good idea because people will find exploits, bugs, and problems now so that they can be patched for the final release.

Mandoric

Banned
duckroll said:

I'll be honest, finding the way out of the finale is a huge bitch and if the tank had guarded it rather than chasing you I never even would have seen the chopper; when we went through 2-man before that I actually thought the woods were the edge of the map, then thought the downed chopper had to be the edge.

Maybe it could drop signal flares or something.

duckroll

Mandoric said:
I'll be honest, finding the way out of the finale is a huge bitch and if the tank had guarded it rather than chasing you I never even would have seen the chopper; when we went through 2-man before that I actually thought the woods were the edge of the map, then thought the downed chopper had to be the edge.

Maybe it could drop signal flares or something.

Well I wouldn't know anything about that. It was all on you, since the tank was... on me! :lol

Nabs

My team had a lot of fun figuring out the new Map in VS last night.

Stallion Free said:

sorry stall :( we were enjoying ourselves on the other team.

Played 3 of the 4 Cold Stream levels last night on Advanced. Loved the use of light in many situations, as well as most of the gun spawns being singular. Yeah, geometry on the rocks needs to be sorted out, there's a few invisible walls, and the textures/graphics are obviously incomplete.

HOWEVER, I can't wait to see what its like with the AI Director in full-function-mode. Right now it feels like too many standard sets of spawns, but I guess that's intentional as well. Hard, but in the good way.

Would people be interested in some screen caps of a few interesting/pivotal places? Or rather wait to see it in finished glory?

Feels great to be back in some serious forests. :D

Edit: Loved the earlier "canyon" funneling points where they just swarm in on you from above. The horde gets really fun in this level sometimes.

Nabs said:
My team had a lot of fun figuring out the new Map in VS last night.

sorry stall :( we were enjoying ourselves on the other team.

Yeah it gets a thumbs up from me- awesome atmosphere (the water gushing down the stairwell may be the coolest single part of any L4D2 map), and some interesting ambush points for infected. The only thing it needs is clearer directions on where to go, a couple times we got lost because there's a lack of clear landmarks.

Erebus

Poor map flow: I'm speaking from the survivor side of things, but this isn't as big a problem as it seems. Even without expert use of lighting and props to add context and subtle cues, our team found the path ahead without much trouble at all.

I'm not gonna lie, the new map was kind of disorienting to me and my team the first time we played through it on VS mode last night.

Divius

afternoon delight said:
Am I the only person who didn't play it on VS? :lol
I just finished a campaign game!

The campaign was alright but a bit unclear at points. When the Slo-mo kicked in I didn't know where to look at first. I went like: Lag? Oh slowmotion. OH SNAP THE
BRIDGE
! And at the finale me and my team were just standing around the downed chopper fighting off infected, took a while before we realized where we needed to go. Otherwise lots of fun with some great situations/locations.

Is there a L4D2 GAF group? I still play quite often.

MoFuzz

Stallion Free said:

smh

l2p l4d nub

_Bro

Banned
People hate Typo Stream? I found it to be a ton of fun with some interesting ideas, namely the tank running off of a tree branch and smacking rocks. I was also drunk and playing campaign with friends so maybe todays attempt at getting past the second piece will be less enjoyable.

I'm somewhat confused as to why this particular map was chosen to be an "official" map over some of the better user made campaigns, but I didn't hate it nor find the path confusing, despite doing realism the first time.

The finale was sort of annoying, although I love guantlet finales (L4D1/Hard Rain finales FTL). I seemed to keep getting stuck on stuff, and combined with the unending zombies, it just felt wrong. Like something was always pulling on me. You don't get that feeling on the Bridge (Parish); maybe it's due to the cars littered all over the place versus the wide open stream. I'm not really a big fan of the wide open tunnel that is the stream. Sort of defeats the pathfinding aspect.

By the way, the run to the chopper is easy, you just need to retain one of the bile bombs that you get literally right before that forest clearing. I wouldn't even bother fighting the tank (I guess you can tankbait the leader, or drop back a little if you're the leader).

I know a lot of you play with friends, but all of my complaints, besides the slow motion, boiled down to an influx of shitty players trying out the new map. Yeah, it's probably harder than the other 8 maps. But the number of restarts due to idiots not clearing specials was really annoying. The other maps have specials too! It's not really new...

kai3345

Banned
Played Cold Stream last night.

Damn aside from a few things like getting stuck behind rocks and not figuring out where to go I think this may be my favorite campaign next to Hard Rain.

Loved:
-The single spawn weapons
-The flooded stairwell/ deadly waterfall
-The boulder crashing down just before the first Tank
-The slo-mo
-The whole bridge sequence

Hated:
-Getting stuck behind rocks
-Many times not having a clear idea of where to go
-No new survivor banter

duckroll

Okay, so I finally played Cold Stream in Versus yesterday, but we couldn't get a full 8 for that campaign. My thoughts regarding the campaign remain unchanged in general (I still think it's good with various nice moments and good thematic hooks), but boy does it suck in Versus. The finale is totally dumb too. It's like a dumb twist to the Parish finale (which is 10000 times better). Thankfully, it seems that they're aware the finale sucks, and will be working on it. There are definitely nice infected moments in Versus, but they're hampered by poor AI flow routes, and a lack of climb points at various areas. At one point, the survivor bots on one team actually got LOST in one of the maps, effectively ending the run for the human players since it was so easy to pick them off before the bots found their way to the right path. Hilarious. :p

Mandoric

Banned
duckroll said:
But isn't that the route you keep teaching us to take? :p

Bots not teleporting, that's their fault!

Or, you know, it's the map's fault for letting me over there to begin with. I actually think you can skip even more of the level if you run through the fire, lemme go check.

Edit: Nope, invisible walled since when I tried it before.

Sibylus

Banned
Anyone play Highway to Hell recently? It's a user campaign that came out recently, has highly polished visuals and excellent level design. It's definitely deserving of official status.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Botolf said:
Anyone play Highway to Hell recently? It's a user campaign that came out recently, has highly polished visuals and excellent level design. It's definitely deserving of official status.
Are these visuals more highly polished than Cold Stream's?

Blizzard

Banned
The only time I played the cold mountain dew stream map, I was trapped behind the rest of a team in a horde when the slow motion went off. I don't like slow motion. It's slow. ;_;

Top Bottom