• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

123rl

I love it. Valve have more than lived up my expectations! I've finished three campaigns now and had two games of Versus.

kamspy said:
Thoughts after one and a half campaigns.

+ Fresh chatter
+ much better gun models
+ melee weaponry
+ meless weaponry
yes I wrote it twice
+ throwing puke on a tank
+ N'awlins vibe.
+ N'awlins twang on the familiar tunes.

- Not enough N'awlins vibe yet.
- Dead Center seems a lot like the Hospital campaign in L4D1
- My best L4D buddy is in the moving process and has no Steam access. :eek:

=Fuckin Valve. Great shit. Might even double dip for 360 to play with my domestic light beer drinking console bro's.

I'd guess there's not enough "N'awlins vibe yet" because you're still a few hundred miles away from Louisiana. :p

Omi said:
What are peoples thoughts on the difficulty??

Normal certainly seems beefed up (what I was playing last night as first run through), not sure why this is the case,

this is due to the fact that you did normal when melee was infinite so by the time melee fatigue was in you knew the maps by heart as such.

plus the new infected are MEAN.

Omikron

Blue Geezer said:
this is due to the fact that you did normal when melee was infinite so by the time melee fatigue was in you knew the maps by heart as such.

plus the new infected are MEAN.

Perhaps. Perhaps.

We shall see though, just enough difference to make the game feel tough, which is a good thing!

kai3345

Banned
Just played through the whole Dead Center campaign, it was all kinds of badass.

The finale was great, we had our team split up into groups of 2 and we were throwing the tanks from the top to over near the car, then some moron tries to shoot a smoker on the car and lights up all of our gas tanks:lol

But the servers (360) seem to be just as laggy as when the demo opened up to the public, I hope this will soon be fixed. But for now it looks like I'll have to stick with hosting my own games.

I can't wait to play Realism Expert and Scavenge.

ruxtpin

Banned
Basileus777 said:
I've been getting tons of lag playing with someone in the same house as me. Something is messed up.

Ok. I played last night for about 3 hours, consistent lag the entire time. I tried again today for a few games. Same thing. Someone mentioned the fact that the servers might be busy, but it's my understanding that XBL doesn't have servers AT ALL. This must be some shit net code, because it's nigh unplayable. =(

/rage - I want to play the game smoothly! (And I don't have a PC that can run it.)

kai3345

Banned
ruxtpin said:
Ok. I played last night for about 3 hours, consistent lag the entire time. I tried again today for a few games. Same thing. Someone mentioned the fact that the servers might be busy, but it's my understanding that XBL doesn't have servers AT ALL. This must be some shit net code, because it's nigh unplayable. =(

/rage - I want to play the game smoothly! (And I don't have a PC that can run it.)
Create your own public game, then change the server options to "Local Server" it makes it run lag/hiccup free.

gregor7777 said:
Anyone know what colorblind mode changes?
Some people (like me) can have a difficulty is distinguishing between certainly shades of red & green. So for some important indicators, it is nice if they use different colors or highlight a difference in another manner. I'm not really sure why this game would need it though.

I thank peggle for having a color blind mode since it made it easier to spot certain special pegs.

kai3345

Banned
speculawyer said:
Some people (like me) can have a difficulty is distinguishing between certainly shades of red & green. So for some important indicators, it is nice if they use different colors or highlight a difference in another manner. I'm not really sure why this game would need it though.

I thank peggle for having a color blind mode since it made it easier to spot certain special pegs.
Well, the little outlines around your survivors indicating your teammates health are green most of the time.

Sanjay

This game is just amazing, can't believe how much better L4D2 is already compared to L4D1 and that game was my Goty last year.

Also, 1-D_FTW next time you see someone call a timeout press TAB too see if any players have left, but LOL for not knowing the teammate that did leave was on your team because if you think about it it was the other team that were being cool and were waiting on him to return and it was you who could not even bother to wait for your own teammate.

Oh and how awesome is the new item adrenaline, with using that and then picking two incaped guys in a matter of seconds was amazing! still died later but still.

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
Is there any way to delete the demo from my Steam games list? It's uninstalled, and SEEMS to still be giving me the option to install it, but I can't remove it. Maybe if I hunt around for more leftover files in my Steam directory?
How did you go about uninstalling it? Have you tried the delete local content option?

feel

ruxtpin said:

Incorrect. Any 360 game can have dedicated servers and many have. It's up to the developers/publishers. Microsoft doesn't like to put dedicated servers on their own published games, while Sony does, so this gives many people the perception that 360 doesn't have dedicated servers at all, and that ps3 has dedicated servers in all games, which is also very incorrect.

As far as I know Valve has dedicated servers on the 360 version of l4d2 (but they're very stressed/busy atm, hopefully Valve improves them asap), but there's an option to host your own games if you prefer.

rant: F**k living currently in a third world latinamerican country. Couldn't find someone traveling from the US to bring me this game fast, so I bought it from amazon and now have to wait like 10 days for it to arrive. Could purchase the digital steam version in the meanwhile, and plug in a controller (not a pc gamer), but my laptop runs it at like 20 fps, so I'd rather wait. /end rant

Good to hear the positive impressions.

Holy Mother of Christ Almighty!

This game is awesome...but I suck so much :lol I quit for a bit after dying three times on Dark Carnival in the second part:
The roller coaster part ALWAYS gets me. Once, a Charger (Tank? Don't know names quite well yet) came out of nowhere and tackled me off the roller coaster and the fall pretty much killed me D: (It was pretty awesome that that happened, though!)

Also: Rochelle! Goddamn, woman! Stop startling the damn witch! :lol

I think I'm pretty much going to play it by myself first and then go online with it (Campaign). Versus and that stuff isn''t on my radar yet because I'm not comfortable in my abilities.

vertopci

1-D_FTW said:
Oh, noes. I'm not familiar with some guys I've never played against. One anonymous name blended into another.

Maybe by the chatter of your team saying you don't wanna know what he's doing, led me to believe you were talking about your own teammate.

Doesn't change the fact nobody said, Ready? Like everyone always does? Or we were just sitting in the cabin typing to your team to knock it off and you guys kept coming in waves anyway. Didn't get a clue there?

EDIT: Stallionfree banana riding the great master? Shocking. And I have a clock right in front of me and was rushed. It was at the very minimum 8 minutes.

Aw QQ some more why don't you? First off, we didn't attack in fucking waves at all. We attacked once when you guys entered the cabin, then Link told us he wanted us to wait for him while he did whatever. If you consider that as "waves", you probably need to go back to elementary school to learn what plurals are.

Can't believe you think that I don't have any sportsmanship when we were the ones waiting for YOUR teammate to come back and you're the one who comes out and shoots at us :/

speculawyer said:

I'm colorblind also. It's nice to see options like that for us.

I'm guessing it's something to do with the colors.

Not sure what I'd do without you, thanks. :p

Did Best Buy have this in stock today?

I checked the website and it did not show available in-store, and then when I stopped in to pick up AC2 it was nowhere to be seen. Best Buy even had an ad in store for games coming out that day and L4D2 was not on there. Was in a hurry, so didn't have a chance to ask anyone working there if they had it in the back or something.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm red-green colorblind.

Colorblind mode changes the crosshair from blue to white. It also changes survivor outlines from red to white when they're low on health.

Personally, I don't have any trouble distinguishing in between any of the colors in the game, since they're all varying intensity anyways. Still, I put it on crosshair only mode because I think the white crosshair is more aesthetically pleasing.

So my PC is five years old, and I have an ATI HD 2600XT AGP card, but this game still runs quite well. I was wondering though, the game defaults me to double-buffering, but wouldn't triple-buffering be better? I suppose I should just leave the settings alone and be thankful this game runs as well as it does, though.

ruxtpin

Banned
Letters said:
Incorrect. Any 360 game can have dedicated servers and many have. It's up to the developers/publishers. Microsoft doesn't like to put dedicated servers on their own published games, while Sony does, so this gives many people the perception that 360 doesn't have dedicated servers at all, and that ps3 has dedicated servers in all games, which is also very incorrect.

As far as I know Valve has dedicated servers on the 360 version of l4d2 (but they're very stressed/busy atm, hopefully Valve improves them asap), but there's an option to host your own games if you prefer.

Ok. Gotcha' - Well, am I correct in assuming, that no dedicated servers are provided my Microsoft?

Jenga

Banned
Jesus Christ everyone is bad at this game. Not to mention people don't stick around for more than 3 minutes in any given lobby.

damned pubbies

xero273

MaizeRage25 said:

I checked the website and it did not show available in-store, and then when I stopped in to pick up AC2 it was nowhere to be seen. Best Buy even had an ad in store for games coming out that day and L4D2 was not on there. Was in a hurry, so didn't have a chance to ask anyone working there if they had it in the back or something.

the one I went to did. they didn't have the game on the shelf. On the shelf was a box that said to take the box to an associate to get the game. There were a whole bunch of copies locked up in the cage.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just finished all five campaigns. fucking amazing game. 8.4 hours spent playing already. 0_0

gg chinner, catfish

Poor Jenga got knocked right off the dock at the beginning of the Parish campaign after I slammed into him with a Charger today. :lol

Charger is amazing.

Jenga

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
I usually top the list as infected but thats not saying much (I suck at tank) and then my human turn most everyone runs off by themselves (did they not play l4d1?)
actually I really do question the number of people who've moved from L4D.

from my experience, it's a big fucking fat no

People act new. in fact a lot act like they've never played a FPS game before

Jenga

Banned
CrookedRain said:
Poor Jenga got knocked right off the dock at the beginning of the Parish campaign after I slammed into him with a Charger today. :lol

Charger is amazing.
I saw that one video where the dude knocked off the two bots into the water. I thought that stuff wouldn't be possible, but apparently the infected do spawn that close :(

Puck

Banned
So apparently all of the Aussie dedicated servers are filled with Americans who are complaining about "laggy" games.

Get out of my country dammit.

Jenga said:
I saw that one video where the dude knocked off the two bots into the water. I thought that stuff wouldn't be possible, but apparently the infected do spawn that close :(
I hadn't seen the video and had no clue whether it was going to work or not. I think I was able to spawn because someone stepped farther up but then backed off.

Sanjay said:
This game is just amazing, can't believe how much better L4D2 is already compared to L4D1 and that game was my Goty last year.

Also, 1-D_FTW next time you see someone call a timeout press TAB too see if any players have left, but LOL for not knowing the teammate that did leave was on your team because if you think about it it was the other team that were being cool and were waiting on him to return and it was you who could not even bother to wait for your own teammate.

Oh and how awesome is the new item adrenaline, with using that and then picking two incaped guys in a matter of seconds was amazing! still died later but still.

i want credit for the spitter move on the rollercoaster bit :p team destroyed in one move :D

Still on the fence as an Australian... Do I;

Buy this on steam & hope it runs decently on my iMac with virtualisation or boot camp

or

Buy this for the 360 from the UK and hope it isn't Live crippled.

I'd rather play on the 360, mainly because i'm kind of shit @ PC controls, but i'm thinking now is the time to learn properly.

Wizman23

Banned
MaizeRage25 said:

Don't know if you still live in Cleveland but I picked up mine at lunch today at the Best Buy down in Steelyard. They had them towards the front of the store not in the game section.

procrastinator

Neo Member
darkpaladinmfc said:
My game keeps crashing, I get 'left4dead2.exe has stopped working'. I've disabled multi-core as that seemed to work for a friend, but I still get crashes every 30 or so minutes. The only campaign achievement I have is Dark Carnival because the others crashed on me every time :lol .

NVIDIA card? Update to the latest beta drivers. Seems to be fixing a bunch of crash/stuttering issues for people

JWong

Banned
imtehman said:
this game is better than left4dead1 in virtually every way, loving it
Yeah, the preconception that L4D2 is just an upgrade L4D should be washed away.

I didn't purchase L4D because of the lack of content with the starting 5 levels, but L4D2's 5 campaigns makes it worth all my money.

Well, the money's been taken so hopefully my copy gets here tomorrow (UK). Been slowly building up a friends list from the demo, as I play without a mic and on advanced and it's hard to find people who aren't douchebags :lol Had a really good game yesterday, four of us all without mics or anything but working together really well as a team.

Would still like to hear opinions on advanced+realism and how it stacks up against expert mode on its own.

kai3345

Banned
Charmicarmicat said:
Would still like to hear opinions on advanced+realism and how it stacks up against expert mode on its own.
I played a group with Realism Advanced and we couldn't get past the Hotel in Dark Carnival (which is really really early) and when we switched it back to Normal we had just gotten past the river (a little ways after the Hotel) and then we wiped.

So yeah, Realism is tough.

yanhero

Pimpbaa said:
It doesn't matter because the game supports triple buffering, so v-sync should always be on.

No, the whole point of triple buffering is so you can get the advantage of vsync without the input lag. You should turn off vsync and keep triple buffering on.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
this game hates me!

seriously, a tank and jockey right by the safe house.. last one alive...pistol only.... arrr

:lol

Top Bottom