• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Red Scarlet

Charmicarmicat said:
Well, the money's been taken so hopefully my copy gets here tomorrow (UK). Been slowly building up a friends list from the demo, as I play without a mic and on advanced and it's hard to find people who aren't douchebags :lol Had a really good game yesterday, four of us all without mics or anything but working together really well as a team.

Would still like to hear opinions on advanced+realism and how it stacks up against expert mode on its own.

I thought the combination of stuff in realism 'upgrade' the difficulty you are playing on to the next one. Did Advanced + Realism and yeah, zombies don't do as much per hit, but with their higher HP if you don't headshot them, makes a horde coming one of the tenser 'events'. Then there's the thought of losing eyesight with teammates and getting lost/owned by a special where they can't get to you in time (happened a number of times in my game).

Witch kills you in 1 hit on Advanced Realism too, and there's a ton of them on Hard Rain. I killed a couple in the way though. So to me, I think Expert Realism is beyond what Expert was in the original pretty handily. So easy to die anyway, and the added danger of getting lost/not seeing outlines and regular zombies being extremely dangerous. Melee weapons are great in that mode, though. Absolutely fantastic.

Red Scarlet said:
I thought the combination of stuff in realism 'upgrade' the difficulty you are playing on to the next one. Did Advanced + Realism and yeah, zombies don't do as much per hit, but with their higher HP if you don't headshot them, makes a horde coming one of the tenser 'events'. Then there's the thought of losing eyesight with teammates and getting lost/owned by a special where they can't get to you in time (happened a number of times in my game).

Witch kills you in 1 hit on Advanced Realism too, and there's a ton of them on Hard Rain. I killed a couple in the way though. So to me, I think Expert Realism is beyond what Expert was in the original pretty handily. So easy to die anyway, and the added danger of getting lost/not seeing outlines and regular zombies being extremely dangerous. Melee weapons are great in that mode, though. Absolutely fantastic.
I'm ready for an expert/realism run... think I'll have to put a good 6-8 hours aside for one though!

Red Scarlet said:

Cool, thanks for the info, sounds like advanced+realism might be perfect for me. Might sound stupid but the biggest problem i have on expert is the damage the regular infected do to me. I don't know why but i seem to get incapped by them all the time :lol

kai3345

Banned
I keep getting d/c'd from Xbox Live. Its so frustrating, L4D and the demo are the only games that do this to me on a constant baisis. Ugh

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just put this in after a session of AC2 expecting a quick run of the quick campaign. But then, jesus CHRIST, they got so much longer. I felt like Death Center 2 was nearly a campaign in its own. :lol

I started on advanced and was just with bots since I usually want to do a run through before I play with people, but I had to drop it to normal on Death Center 3 when I got the black and white screen. Also the bots won't help at all in the finale, so I would've done it there anyway, lol. I saw a few campaigns with 4 levels and was worried, but now I'm not. And I haven't even touched the VS, which I love.

fallout

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
This is so fucking good. Versus mode is like reaching a climax after the year spent suffering through L4D1's Versus problems. They got it all right.
:lol I love how even when you like something, you have to bitch about something else.

Valve should make a "Berserker" play mode where every survivor is on permanent adrenaline effects, but they can only carry melee weapons.

Katana + adrenaline + rolling crescendo = some thrilling stuff.

Rahk

yanhero said:
No, the whole point of triple buffering is so you can get the advantage of vsync without the input lag. You should turn off vsync and keep triple buffering on.
Huh? Doesn't vsync need to be on to take advantage of triple buffering? In L4D2 specifically you can enable vsync with triple buffering or double buffering, or disable it.

I'm running the game on a laptop with a 8600M GT (256MB) with triple buffering enabled and it runs at 60fps almost constantly, so everyone else should be fine with it turned on.

Johann

There aren't a whole lot of major changes to the formula but this is so much better than the first game. There's no wonder Valve wanted to quick sequel to what was a patchwork game. It's like how a small difference in DNA that can separate a human from a chimpanzee... or a banana and a narwhal.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think the first campaign is a bit on the short side, I played with random people on advanced and we ran through it in 30 minutes, but damn this game is awesome, way better than the first, versus mode is actually fun now :D

Firestorm

Easy_D said:
I think the first campaign is a bit on the short side, I played with random people on advanced and we ran through it in 30 minutes, but damn this game is awesome, way better than the first, versus mode is actually fun now :D
Uh you sure you went through the whole thing? My friends and I took 1.5 hours on Advanced. Only time we died was on the finale (multiple times).

kai3345

Banned
Firestorm said:
Uh you sure you went through the whole thing? My friends and I took 1.5 hours on Advanced. Only time we died was on the finale (multiple times).
My run through on normal took only 26 minutes or something like that

JWong

Banned
The last part of the mall is certainly the hardest final parts.

I was on normal, and I had to fight five tanks while only reaching 10 gas tanks. We were definitely moving all the time, so the director AI must really hate us.

Manus

Man, took me and my buds forever to get the achievement where you have to cross the bridge in less than 3 minutes.

Was so frustrating.

snack

I haven't gotten a server that gives me lower than 300 in ping. Is anyone else experiencing really high ping issues with L4D2?

vazel

Banned
So many noobs playing. I assumed all the L4D1 fanbase rolling over would make up the vast majority of the players but it doesn't look like that.

vazel

Banned
Since when has the L4D1 fanbase not been a majority of noobs?
Yea I was just thinking about that. I just spent way too much time in L4D1 versus which was very competitive and most casuals don't go into much.

You're still this into me?

It's not like my opinion isn't shared by just about everyone else in here.
Nnnnnope, pretty much nobody agrees with you except crazy people like vertopci.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Omi said:
BTW, how awesome is the storm when it first hits in Hard Rain?

:D
I happened to me as I was going up the elevator. I knew there were going to be storms, but I didn't realise how intense they would be. :lol

I love how each campaign has a distinctly different tone about them. It's so much more appealing to me than L4D1's maps.

Omikron

Rez said:
I happened to me as I was going up the elevator. I knew there were going to be storms, but I didn't realise how intense they would be. :lol

I love how each campaign has a distinctly different tone about them. It's so much more appealing to me than L4D1's maps.

Going through the field + storm = intense :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hearing a lot of 'if you didn't like the first game, you probably won't like this one' from people, and I really disagree with that.

There's something a whole lot more inviting about this game. As someone who thought L4D1 was 'just okay', L4D2 is 'omg hold me so good'.

AWE-MAIZE-ING

Beyond epic. Congrats Valve, you really hit a home run with this one.

I put in in countless hours on the original and was worried this was going to be more of the same. I can't believe how wrong I was. The levels just keep going and going. The new zombies are fantastic. The demo was like a cocktease in that I thought the jockey was stupid. My thoughts have now changed cause that little bastard screwed me over like 5 games in a row. He has this nasty habit of just pulling you right into trouble.

As fucking awful a disapointment the PC version of COD:MW2 is... L4D2 more than makes up for it.

kai3345

Banned
Omi said:
?

What is broken?
Everyone I've talked to is having horrible connection and framerate issues on 360.

Every game I've played of multiplayer (aside from he two I've hosted) have been everyone having one red bar and the framerate and lag make the game downright unplayable.

Now when I pop in, say, Modern Warfare 2, my connection and framerate are perfectly fine and I'm able to play a game with no issues at all.

Shawsie64

Banned
So is this out in the UK yet? I ask because i bought using the UK method to get uncensored version here but says unreleased still...

Rahk

WickedLaharl said:
valve's servers.

it's completely unplayable at the moment unless you host your own game.

i hope they fix this shit soon. l4d is the best MP experience this gen and i needs my l4d2 fix.
No wonder there are more Americans playing on Australian servers than Australians...

fallout

You're still this into me?

It's not like my opinion isn't shared by just about everyone else in here.
I'm just appreciating your shtick! Man, take some credit where it's due.

P.S. You remembered me! <3

Omikron

Rahk said:
No wonder there are more Americans playing on Australian servers than Australians...

This.

Personally, myself and mates are playing on local hosted games only atm... thank god we have decent net connections.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Volcynika said:
My friends and I could not conquer the Parish finale.

Goddam
I found that the best way through it is to just stick in a pack and KEEP MOVING!

Apparently the game adapts to either play-style, but I've had the most success constantly moving, as opposed to a more defensive approach.

Rez said:
I found that the best way through it is to just stick in a pack and KEEP MOVING!

Apparently the game adapts to either play-style, but I've had the most success constantly moving, as opposed to a more defensive approach.

The game pretty much actively discourages turtling and camping. The Spitter, Jockey, and Charger were designed exactly for that purpose.

Top Bottom