• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

procrastinator

Neo Member
Sega1991 said:
So, um, I dunno how many people noticed the URL at the bottom of the Midnight Riders posters (I'd hate to think I am the first person to, either), but...

http://www.midnight-riders.com/

There's, uh, four of these guys. I can't help but think we'll be playing as the Midnight Riders sometime in the future, but I hope and pray that it's not for Left4Dead 3.

free dlc

Red Scarlet

Bebpo said:
What is the difference between realism and campaign besides not having outlines on things and your team? I did a level with a random group on advanced and it didn't seem any harder than campaign on advanced. Actually just seemed more fun.

Realism mode doesn't have outlines/names for the other characters, so you can't see where they are, or if they are boomed (unless if you actually see them up close and they have barf on them, but I haven't done that).

At least on Advanced, Witches will kill you in 1 hit on realism mode, just like Expert on campaign mode. No idea if that applies for Easy or Normal (or what the Witch does differently on Expert, would be cool if she could just go after everyone in the group or something until she dies).

There are no spawn closets on realism mode. The only way to come back into the game is via a defibrillator or by the other players beating the level, then you'll start the next level with 50HP like usual.

Outlines for items don't show up until you are much closer to them.

Zombies take more shots to kill in realism mode if it is a shot to somewhere other than the head. It might take 4+ sniper shots to kill a zombie if you shoot it in the chest/legs. Headshots are more important against the zombies instead of just unloading a clip and mowing them down wherever you hit them.

That's the stuff I know for it, don't know if there's other things. The zombies are much more dangerous when they can take more punishment. Plus, when someone goes "ah crap Hunter on me" you can't just look around real fast in a 360 to see the yellow+red outline shadow of the Hunter and victim, you have to hope you find that person before they are killed, which isn't always possible to do! Plus on Expert, that means you can die in about 5 seconds..hope your teammates are not far away and know exactly where you are.

The mode makes the game much more intense, imo. Really looking forward to trying it out more.

123rl

We played through all 5 campaigns back to back on Normal last night...finishing at 4am. Best gaming night ever! :D

Highlights (for me)

- The Dark Carnival finale is fucking EPIC!

- Hard Rain is superb...we counted 7 witches on one level

- the final Parish mission was more intense than anything in the game

GOTY 2009, absolutely, with no chance of any other game coming close to matching it IMO

Walshicus

Going to go and try and find a 360 copy in the shops today at lunch - hopefully at least one will be willing to get around the silly Friday release for England...

Red Scarlet

123rl said:
We played through all 5 campaigns back to back on Normal last night...finishing at 4am. Best gaming night ever! :D

Nice.

When 1 came out, some people waited for me to finish downloading (I decided to buy it about 2 hours before release), then we played all 4 campaigns..it was about 11AM when I went to sleep.

When 2 came out, it took about 10 and a half for the 5 campaigns to be finished (one on realism), and I still went to bed about 11AM. So much fun, but omg was I really tired and cranky (more than usual!) by the end. Fun fun.

Volcynika

My friends and I also attempted Hard Rain Advanced Realism, but we couldn't get past the second level :lol

The witches kept getting us.

Also, sorry to Tekno for not getting in a game with him. The game's now on my new PC so maybe I'll be around to campaign with some GAF people tonight.

Twig

Banned
I want to play a lot tonight! In 12 hours! The first chance I have to marathon because I don't have class tomorrow!

who is with me ;_;

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, I played for almost six hours in one sitting, ending at almost 3:00am, having got through the the first three campaigns, before waking up the next morning and doing the final two for a further three hours. I was with Chinner the throughout all five campaigns, and an assortment of other cool GAFfers and random people who jumped in and out as we progressed.

I usually feel guilty as hell when I do something like that, but fuck it, the game was amazing; I had so much fun.

I have to stop myself from splooging all over this too much, I'm grossing myself out.

TheOneGuy said:
I want to play a lot tonight! In 12 hours! The first chance I have to marathon because I don't have class tomorrow!

who is with me ;_;
I'll play some too! I'm an Aussie, so my ping will be bad, but I'm fairly used to it. I'm not a liability, put it that way. ;)

since the dudes i play with aren't going to get the game for awhile I played with old-old-old friends who all live in Europe. So it was a game hosted locally by a dude in Norway. I had awesome 250+ping entire time.

played the Carnival level on normal realism. I got killed by a witch early on and near the end they found a defib kit and decided to make the trek allllll the way back to where i died to save me. Was successful but when we all made our way back to the safe house we were attacked by a charger, spitter, and a horde. sadly we didn't survive.

Chinner

Banned
l4d2 is like crack so im playing tonight. hopefully i will not unintentionally troll somebody and get them annoyed at me resulting in moody remarks.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
maaaaan what's the deal with witches. I woke so many up last time. wha'ts the criteria for pissing her off? Letting your gun off near her right?

Does anyone actually try to kill them?

Chinner

Banned
catfish said:
maaaaan what's the deal with witches. I woke so many up last time. wha'ts the criteria for pissing her off? Letting your gun off near her right?

attacking witches with chaisaws is always fun.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
catfish said:

turn your flashlight off, and don't shoot them or run beside them. :)

I should have told you mid-campaign, but it didn't even occur to me that you hadn't had much experience with L4D before. My bad!

Chinner said:
l4d2 is like crack so im playing tonight. hopefully i will not unintentionally troll somebody and get them annoyed at me resulting in moody remarks.
that was hilarious. I wonder what was up that guys ass. :lol

fanboi

Banned
Didn't know if I should post this in this thread or in the steam one.

If I change my address to an USA one in my account information and use a proxy so it looks like I surf from USA, will I be able to buy this game via Steam, and then use it on my computer at home which is connected to a Swedish ISP?

Chinner

Banned
Rez said:
that was hilarious. I wonder what was up that guys ass. :lol
we had been playing all day and in a few games he kept saying really simple stuff and was (accidentally) giving away some of the the twists to the levels so i told him off. i guess he thought i was being elitist and PRO so finally when nobody covered me in the parish and i sarcastically asked if everyone knew what the definition of cover was he CRACKED.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Did anyone else on 360 pre-order through Gamestop? If so, did you get a code for the baseball bat download? I asked about it when I picked it up and they said it was inside the case (which was a lie).

kai3345

Banned
LunaticPuma said:
Did anyone else on 360 pre-order through Gamestop? If so, did you get a code for the baseball bat download? I asked about it when I picked it up and they said it was inside the case (which was a lie).
Yeah I got my code it was on a little card thing and no it wasn't inside the case.

Just go back and say that it wasn't in the case. If they say yes it was, (if you're really set on getting that code) tell them to open up one of the cases, or wait for someone else to come in and pick it up and have them open the case.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Chinner said:
we had been playing all day and in a few games he kept saying really simple stuff and was (accidentally) giving away some of the the twists to the levels so i told him off. i guess he thought i was being elitist and PRO so finally when nobody covered me in the parish and i sarcastically asked if everyone knew what the definition of cover was he CRACKED.
outstanding.

ArjanN

OmegaDragon said:
I'd like to join you, I want to play an entire campaign with four human players. I've finished Dead Center and Dark Carnival yesterday. Both we started with 4 players on advanced, but people quit, so we turned it down to normal for the finale of Dead Center and chapter 4+finale of Dark Carnival. Man those last two were hard, even on normal.

Me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Ridley187

Chapter 4 is extremely tough you literally have to wade forward through the zombies, but the Dark Carnival finale is really easy IMO, the stage is so easy to defend.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I've yet to play as any other character than the girl. What's the deal with people racing to choose one of the dudes? Now, I don't mind playing as the girl but it'd be fun to get the chance to play as another character and hear a few more of their comments.

fanboi said:
Didn't know if I should post this in this thread or in the steam one.

If I change my address to an USA one in my account information and use a proxy so it looks like I surf from USA, will I be able to buy this game via Steam, and then use it on my computer at home which is connected to a Swedish ISP?
Think that'll work. I'm on a Japanese ISP, using a game preordered whilst in the UK.

I've always been a huge VS person but man the new Scavenge mode is so much fun. I rarely run into rage quitters and the games go by quick enough that people aren't afraid to stay in the game for the next round.

Sucks I'm going to be gone almost all day today. This is one of the only games where I actively want to keep playing.

Chinner

Banned
one of my friends is going to buy this, but it says its unlocks on the 20th (and it says that for me too). whats up with that?

JoeFu

Banned
TheOneGuy said:

who is with me ;_;

you better save a spot for me twi!!

beje

Banned
Ugh, people don't have a fucking clue about beating The Parish climax. It seems I won't be able to do it until I try with my friends

I mean, is the concept "run AND shoot" so hard? some people still haven't realised they can't butt-wall their way in this game. Specially with a FUCKING ENDLESS HORDE

NotWii

Banned
So what does everyone think happens to the survivors after The Parish finale?

I thought
The military would take them somewhere to be lined up and shot since they were doing that to other people/carriers,
and they specifically asked if the survivors were immune (carriers),
but then... why not just blow the bridge with them on it?

I know some of the difficulty comes from unfamiliarity with the new maps, but I think that said, this game is significantly harder than the first.

Common infected are tougher, the new SI remove a lot of the stop and camp strategies, the director throws more SI at you more often, etc.

SI seem to work better together this time around also.

ArjanN said:
Chapter 4 is extremely tough you literally have to wade forward through the zombies, but the Dark Carnival finale is really easy IMO, the stage is so easy to defend.

Well I played with just one human player, we didn't really manage to defend the stage. It was pretty sweet though, When the chopper landed, we both got in (bots were doing... something). But I got dragged out of the chopper by a smoker and got boomered and my health plummeted, it looked pretty grim. But we escaped, I think with 1 hp or something :lol

Falt

I won't be picking this up till friday (payday!), need to stay out of this thread it's killing me!

Appreciate the realism impressions, sounds awesome.

Wii said:
So what does everyone think happens to the survivors after The Parish finale?

I thought
The military would take them somewhere to be lined up and shot since they were doing that to other people/carriers,
and they specifically asked if the survivors were immune (carriers),
but then... why not just blow the bridge with them on it?

Yeah,
I thought that too, but listening to the radio again you could hear the military ask the chopper pilot (or vice-versa, I couldn't tell) whether the other was prepared to deal with carriers. I took that as, to be prepared to shoot in case the Survivors turned out to be carriers. If military suspected that anyone who was immune was a carrier, I doubt they would've bothered to pick them up.

Though I am wondering whether or not the Survivors in both games are carriers. Losing both helicopter pilots makes me suspicious.

And the idea of carriers being a real threat requiring extermination is odd. If it's true and CEDA and the government weren't overreacting, then that would mean that the Infection can be potentially be transmitted through the air.

123rl

I survived the Parish finale with less than 3HP (it might have been 1HP). It was so intense

I went to the stairs, got caught by a Smoker and killed him, my friend jumped down the ladder and landed on a Tank :lol I threw Boomer bile at him and ran off. My friend got incapacitated so I ran towards him...a Hunter pounced me and my friend killed him while still down. I ran over with an axe and killed all the zombies, picked him up - all while still being dangerously close to getting incapacitated - and we escaped together just as the Tank ran towards us

The strange thing is I usually buy games and play them once then sell them on. I'm ok with that because I get most of my money back and enjoy it. But I played L4D2 for about 9 hours yesterday, finished every level, tried Realism and failed, and had a go on Scavenge...and I don't even acknowledge that I completed the game. For me that was just a way to see what I'll be playing in Versus and what to expect when I really finish the game (on Expert). I can easily see myself putting 500+ hours into this game and still wanting more

Ledsen

Rez said:
just finished all five campaigns. fucking amazing game. 8.4 hours spent playing already. 0_0

gg chinner, catfish

wth. I played 4.9 hours and didn't finish a single campaign on normal :(

This game is way too hard.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Ledsen said:
wth. I played 4.9 hours and didn't finish a single campaign on normal :(

This game is way too hard.

My friend and I took 4 hours to finish Dead Center on advanced. We spent about 2 hours on the finale before finding the best route to collect the gas cans. Playing with bots is so-so. They are better at backing into corners and such now, but they're still slow and never help with any objectives.

Talamius

I'm having a weird sound issue with the in game voice system. In the lobby people can hear me but I can't hear them. In game with the exact same settings we can all speak to and hear each other fine. Been through all my levels and settings and everything checks out. In game bug perhaps?

I joined fallout and a few others yesterday, and he said he had played the Dead Center finale like 12 times without success before I got there, and I played another 6-7 times with him without beating it. :lol

Ledsen

Are the achievements bugged or something? It says I killed 0/6 uncommon infected, but I've killed both the hazmat guys and the riot cops multiple times. I've also deployed ammo for my team numerous times but didn't get that ach and used at least 2-3 different melee weapons (counter says 0/9). wth :(

Fireye

gregor7777 said:
I joined fallout and a few others yesterday, and he said he had played the Dead Center finale like 12 times without success before I got there, and I played another 6-7 times with him without beating it. :lol

I tried Dead Center on Advanced last night with Turvy and a few others. We were doing A-OK, up until the Finale. WOW that's hard! We tried maybe 5 times before we called it a night. Definitely need to work as a team to be effective on that.

Sanjay

joelseph said:
PC gamers use Skype? Don't you mean Vent?

Hell yes, you hear this Vert! use Skype!

Also Push to talk is to lame for L4D, not hearing people QQ is the most fun parts

TheExodu5 said:
No.

For one, voice quality and lag is shit in Skype due to the fact that it's P2P.

We've been over this before. Dedicated server > P2P.

This only applies if you have shitty upload speeds so if you don't Skype is the better route but for games like WOW or where you have more then 8 people its better to use Vent. Skype sound quality is way better then vent too which is why I prefer to use Skype.

This brings me to another matter of discussion? are mics vital for L4D2?

Fireye said:
I tried Dead Center on Advanced last night with Turvy and a few others. We were doing A-OK, up until the Finale. WOW that's hard! We tried maybe 5 times before we called it a night. Definitely need to work as a team to be effective on that.

We kept getting separated, which was our main problem.

Volcynika

Sanjay said:
This brings me to another matter of discussion? are mics vital for L4D2?

Not sure about mics, but communication is utterly essential for realism mode. If you can communicate well with text, that's fine too.

iam220

Didn't really care about this game since I've got bored of l4d months ago. Bought it on impulse for some reason and holy shit! I probably had one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences yesterday. All the little changes they made to this game come together in a big way to make it much much better then it's predecessor. Can't wait to play tonight.

Top Bottom