• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Kingpen

So I keep hearing the A.I. is seemingly worse for the Bots... Can anyone give details on this? Or is this also just because it seems that the game took a jump in difficulty level as well?

I enjoyed L4D in 1p mode pretty much only (yeah, I know I'm missing out on the intent of the game design)...

I'm interested in L4D2 because of the new content, so just wondering...

Sega1991 said:
Have any of you listened to the Commentary?

Several times they make reference to the "years" since Left4Dead was released.

Must be some kind of slip up, it probably does seem like 'years' to people at Valve. L4D1 was pretty much done in 2007 they just spent a lot of extra time polishing it after Valve decided to absorb Turtle Rock.

Flib

Kingpen said:
So I keep hearing the A.I. is seemingly worse for the Bots... Can anyone give details on this? Or is this also just because it seems that the game took a jump in difficulty level as well?

I enjoyed L4D in 1p mode pretty much only (yeah, I know I'm missing out on the intent of the game design)...

I'm interested in L4D2 because of the new content, so just wondering...

Part of the problem is that many crescendos require you to move or interact with various objects. The AI won't do any of this on their own, and will only move when you are a good space ahead of them. The game as harder as well, so you basically have to do these crescendos on your own, with some basic and crummy support from them. I really believe some of the crescendos must be impossible on single-player expert.

Dark Carnivale finale was ridiculous. My group and I had to keep alternating between the stadium and the stage. And then that helicopter comes in with it's sweep was all kinds of epic. Sadly none of us made it at the very end. One person was downed and the other two were about to go down in a massive mob so they told me to just bolt it to the helicopter because a tank was coming like in No Mercy. I make it all the way to the helicopter with almost full health when the tank shows up and beats me down until I'm downed in the helicopter. So awesome. The stage pyrotechnics are awesome as well. Anyone know if they can be used to set the infected on fire? I'm pretty sure I got hurt one time when I was standing by it but it gets so hectic I never really saw any infected killed by it.

My problem with the bots is that they're perfect at aiming and shooting at anything, but that's about all they're good at.

They don't stick around the human players very well, they frequently ignore picking up important objects like health kits, they never use grenades, they completely fail at paying attention to special infected, they're shit when it comes to reviving you after you've been downed (never get there fast enough because they're too far away and would rather stand around clearing out every last infected first), and voice commands are completely worthless with them.

So you'll run through a map with them one-shot-headshotting everything in the map but making the dumbest mistakes otherwise. Getting the Gnome achievement with bots is almost impossible, even on easy, because the Bots barely acknowledge that you exist.

Zeliard said:
Honestly, I have no idea why anybody would play a game like this in single-player.

On the other hand, I'd suggest everybody go through the game once in singleplayer - at least if you roll with voice-chat-heavy players. I've missed so much because my friends will be talking over the survivors or whatever else.

Playing singleplayer with bots allows you to "savor the flavor", so to speak. Play at your own pace. You really get a chance to soak in the atmosphere, stop and read every little detail, and hear all the survivor dialog crystal clear.

Zeliard said:
Honestly, I have no idea why anybody would play a game like this in single-player.
Sometimes you just want to shoot some zombies without worrying about pausing the game for 20 minutes at a time while you change laundry/cook/etc.

It's still the best damn game out there for when you absolutely, positively, have to kill some motherfucking zombies after a long day's work.

Sega1991 said:
Playing singleplayer with bots allows you to "savor the flavor", so to speak. Play at your own pace. You really get a chance to soak in the atmosphere, stop and read every little detail, and hear all the survivor dialog crystal clear.
This too. I was scouring every area last night just looking for story details.

Sega1991 said:
My problem with the bots is that they're perfect at aiming and shooting at anything, but that's about all they're good at.
They also have an uncanny ability to run right in front of me when I've got the chainsaw going, or when I'm unloading endless lead upon a rushing horde. If there was ONE thing I would change about the survivor AI - it would be to program them to stay the fuck away from my line of fire.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
BuddhaRockstar said:
I'm not unhappy with a 9 out of 10, it's a great score. But when comparing these scores relative to other sequels I'm finding inconsistencies between scores and that's what I'm pointing out. The PC version of MW2 was a step back in many regards yet is receiving higher scores from the major review sites.

A step back in many regards? If you mean in respect to dedicated servers then smh

Also review scores are always inflated so IMO the scores given to this game as well as most games are very generous. Putting your trust in review scores is never a good thing.

conman

Even in its first week, it's hard to find a complete group for Advanced and Expert campaigns that will stick through to the end. Made to the finale of Dead Center, but everyone keeps dropping out. If there are any late-night (11pm-3am) West Coasters playing on 360 who are working on those higher difficulties, feel free to add me.

XBL: Hypops

Zeliard

Sega1991 said:
On the other hand, I'd suggest everybody go through the game once in singleplayer - at least if you roll with voice-chat-heavy players. I've missed so much because my friends will be talking over the survivors or whatever else.

I dunno, I frequently play in pubs so there isn't constant voice chatter going. I haven't messed with L4D2 much yet, but back in L4D1, it was amusing how frequently someone would make some comment only for it to be followed by their character saying the same thing.

NullPointer said:

I'll do a single-player run with the developer commentary on at some point. That would be interesting.

Otherwise, playing SP in L4D feels too much like a mindless shooting gallery to me (I played through the L4D2 demo in SP). When you add other humans in (who aren't assholes), it just becomes a lot more frantic and fun. And I think it actually hurts the atmosphere when you're only playing alongside mostly-silent bots. It's practically impossible to even separate yourself from them past a decent distance, so you're never really at risk like you are playing with humans. A great deal of the tension is lost.

The dev commentary run is something I'll definitely do, though.

Tokubetsu

NullPointer said:
Sometimes you just want to shoot some zombies without worrying about pausing the game for 20 minutes at a time while you change laundry/cook/etc.

It's still the best damn game out there for when you absolutely, positively, have to kill some motherfucking zombies after a long day's work.

This too. I was scouring every area last night just looking for story details.

They also have an uncanny ability to run right in front of me when I've got the chainsaw going, or when I'm unloading endless lead upon a rushing horde. If there was ONE thing I would change about the survivor AI - it would be to program them to stay the fuck away from my line of fire.

I haven't got L4D2 yet but I did this often with L4D. I don't care for versus...like at all but I still get on L4D and play some SP now and then, especially with everyone getting ready for 2 and not playing co-op. Glad I'm not the only one who enjoys his alone time with zombies <3.

Kajiba

I just got hit with three chargers at the same time when I was online on Dark Carnival.

I felt violated. =, (

And I like Scavanger Mode out of the new stuff added. It's really fun.

MThanded said:
A step back in many regards? If you mean in respect to dedicated servers then smh

As someone who plays on TF2 dedicated servers nightly, yes removing them is a major step back, as is limiting the total number of players, add-on support, and even things as simple as leaning. Add in shoddy port work such as mentioning Xbox Live on the PC version, and yes, I'd say overall it's a step back for the game systems. Maybe the features are a great improvement, but the core game has had features stripped away.

Also review scores are always inflated so IMO the scores given to this game as well as most games are very generous. Putting your trust in review scores is never a good thing.

I'm not sure what you're even getting at here. Inflated compared to what? You're one of those "there's no such thing as a 10 because no game is perfect" people, aren't you?

They seem to have changed a lot of infected rules for the campaign.

I've seen 2 smokers at once on Dead Center 3 and 3 hunters in one of the safe rooms (3!!!)

You can also get knocked into the river on Swamp Fever 1 by a charger and it's an insta-kill, which I thought was kinda cool actually even though it happened to me.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I quit. I can't beat Dark Carnival finale on Easy for the life of me.

wayward archer said:

I've seen 2 smokers at once on Dead Center 3 and 3 hunters in one of the safe rooms (3!!!)
Don't get me freaking started. What the heck?

Bunny

wayward archer said:

You can also get knocked into the river on Swamp Fever 1 by a charger and it's an insta-kill, which I thought was kinda cool actually even though it happened to me.

yea, i was playing swamp fever earlier and had 2 tanks at the same time, ridiculous.

Holy crap it's harder.

Trying to do the mall episode with 2 friends and a bot on advanced. We simply could not do the finale, tank, jockeys and smokers all at once ugh.

It is so visceral to me for some reason to play all the way thru a campaign with just a fireaxe and nades/molotovs, so fucking fun.

Apparently the axe does quite the damage to a tank. I swiped him twice and did 400 damage, next time thru 4 hits and 800 damage.

Red Scarlet

Single player mode is good for getting the melee only achievement and/or the 'beat the Parish finale in under 3 minutes'. And the commentary and stuff.

It's going to take some getting used to the new spawning rules or the special infected. Was looking forward to playing with Team GAF, but I need to adjust first to reduce embarrassment levels. Oh god I'm rusty and terrible.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
So why do you think they increased the difficulty so much? First one too easy? I didnt think so.

I think it probably was for some.

I think it's more difficult in part because it's more dynamic. The first got to the point where most players developed a routine and stuck with it.

Red Scarlet

Ever since yesterday, I've had some issue with the game at the startup. The "valve logo" movie and intro play at what looks like double speed for the video, but not the audio. I don't know why it does that or how to fix it.

Zod the Bear said:
It's going to take some getting used to the new spawning rules or the special infected. Was looking forward to playing with Team GAF, but I need to adjust first to reduce embarrassment levels. Oh god I'm rusty and terrible.

Don't worry about it. I embarrass myself nightly.

Luckily there are players like Vert to pick on when you need some quick points.

gregor7777 said:
Don't worry about it. I embarrass myself nightly.

Luckily there are players like Vert to pick on when you need some quick points.

Hah, thanks. I'm planning on wrapping up the campaign with my normal crew before hopping over to Versus, but I'm looking forward to it.

iam220

The only thing that left me somewhat disappointed with this game is that when you blow the legs off the zombies, they don't crawl around and try to gnaw your feet. That would have been an awesome addition!

Mrbob

I honestly haven't read a single review for this game. Nor do I ever feel the need to read one.

I just want to get home, get my Madden league game in so I can go back to playing this game tonight!

Artadius

Was playing some single player on the very first campaign where you're in the hotel. Rochelle stepped outside on one of those balconies and a Charger promptly charged her completely off of the balcony to her death. Instakill. It was so awesome.

Psy-Phi

Bunny said:
yea, i was playing swamp fever earlier and had 2 tanks at the same time, ridiculous.
That's it? We opened the door on the plane last night, got a tank, a spitter, a hunter, a jockey, a smoker, and a charter, on top of the mudmen and normal infected, and then when we got the tank down another tank came as did another jockey and spitter. Yeah...we died. This was all in less than 5 minutes time and non-stop.

Mrbob

Artadius said:
Was playing some single player on the very first campaign where you're in the hotel. Rochelle stepped outside on one of those balconies and a Charger promptly charged her completely off of the balcony to her death. Instakill. It was so awesome.

:lol

Were you in my game last night? I was playing as Rochelle and that happened to me! First time I ran into a charger in the game as I was happily chainsawing zombies on the balcony, turned to go inside and BAM! Damn charger bowled into me and knocked us both off the ledge and to our doom. :lol

Facism

The jockey is amazing when the survivor team has at least 1 guy on red health. Daisy chained 3 downs with the jockey earlier.

Hate the melee. Feels like a massive gimmick. Wish items broke so i didn't get stuck with pricks who want to run up to me as i'm being smoked swinging a fucking guitar instead of shooting the fucking smoker 4 seconds ago.

Have also failed many a crescendo event in dark carnival because 2 guys would whip out their baseball bats instead of their shotguns/rifles in order to deal with the infinite hordes -_-

Tenks

On the hotel level I boomed all 4 survivors and zombies flooded out of the windows only to never stop and about 150 zombies just fell to their death.

Tim-E

NullPointer said:
Good to hear. Whats a zombie apocalypse without an overwhelming sense of dread?

Exactly. It's pretty tough, but definitely doable.

Also, I killed a tank with a chainsaw earlier today. So rewarding.

Facism said:
The jockey is amazing when the survivor team has at least 1 guy on red health. Daisy chained 3 downs with the jockey earlier.

Hate the melee. Feels like a massive gimmick. Wish items broke so i didn't get stuck with pricks who want to run up to me as i'm being smoked swinging a fucking guitar instead of shooting the fucking smoker 4 seconds ago.

Have also failed many a crescendo event in dark carnival because 2 guys would whip out their baseball bats instead of their shotguns/rifles in order to deal with the infinite hordes -_-

Give it time. I think players are still figuring out the melee weapons.

DJ_Lae

Artadius said:

Nice. I had the same thing happen in the sugar mill while waiting for the elevator, although it wasn't an instant kill. Still, no way you could save the person, as you'd die jumping down on your own.

Facism

gregor7777 said:
Give it time. I think players are still figuring out the melee weapons.

I figured, but still it's really annoying to be owned by special infected when my teamates could just turn and shoot, instead of letting a quarter of my hp disappear because they want to smack a hunter with a dildo.

Fireye

Facism said:
I figured, but still it's really annoying to be owned by special infected when my teamates could just turn and shoot, instead of letting a quarter of my hp disappear because they want to smack a hunter with a dildo.

That sounds fun!

I'd rather my teammates turn and Melee (shove, not melee weapon), and then shoot. That results in less life lost usually.

Tenks said:
Personally I find the sniper rifle with a melee weapon to be the absolute bee's knees set up.
My favorite combo so far is Coach with the desert eagle and the shotgun (not sure of it's name, but its the one with the stock folded over the top). That damn pistol packs so much of a punch - makes me smile every time. Pistol for range and to take down the stragglers and first waves of a horde before swapping to shotgun for the rest.

Glorious.

And woah nelly is that Chainsaw something else. Does it eventually run out of juice though? I was tearing a horde a new asshole when all of the sudden I was back to using a pistol. Don't know if I picked it up by accident amidst the chaos or if my chainsaw was depleted(?).

Top Bottom