• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Love the game.

Only thing I hate are the long levels.
They might seem short while playing VERSUS, but in CAMPAIGN Expert or Realism, they take forever. (Dark Carnival 1 and 3, Dead Center 3)

I'd shorten some of them by 1/3 or more.

theMrCravens said:
Love the game.

Only thing I hate are the long levels.
They might seem short while playing VERSUS, but in CAMPAIGN Expert or Realism, they take forever. (Dark Carnival 1 and 3, Dead Center 3)

I'd shorten some of them by 1/3 or more.
The long levels are awesome.

Especially in Versus, where coordinated teams can't just run through the map in a minute or two anymore.

Bebpo

Banned
The long levels are awesome

BUT

If you are a person with work/school/life schedule and you can only game in 30-60 min bits, it's annoying because it's really difficult to finish an actual campaign now.

I've still only seen Dead Center 1 through 3 because I refuse to try any of the other scenarios until I beat DC from start to finish. ^^;

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
yeah long is ok, but it's really really long..... sometimes don't have the time.

I kind of like MW2 at the moment because the levels and the campaign are bite sized.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sanjay said:
Hell yes, you hear this Vert! use Skype!

Also Push to talk is to lame for L4D, not hearing people QQ is the most fun parts

This only applies if you have shitty upload speeds so if you don't Skype is the better route but for games like WOW or where you have more then 8 people its better to use Vent. Skype sound quality is way better then vent too which is why I prefer to use Skype.

This brings me to another matter of discussion? are mics vital for L4D2?

You do know you can take Vent off push-to-talk, right?

Also, you do know Vent voice quality is dependent on the server, right? With the proper settings, Vent voice quality is far, far beyond Skype. Speex 10 quality, or 33KHz GSM.

I think the only ones not crazy about Vent are the ones who've connected to the shittiest vent servers possible.

edit: after looking it up, it looks like Skype quality varies upon the quality of the connection with other peers. That means your voice quality may be limited by other connections. There is no weakest link factor in Vent. Also, bandwidth requirements are far lower, since there's a server that mediates all the traffic, instead of needing to communicate with all the peers simultaneously.

Skype's upside, of course, is that it's free.

Holy SHIT.

You guys were NOT kidding. The demo really does this game no justice. Somehow I was really trepidatious after the demo because I hadn't gotten a good feel of the melee weapons and now seeing even just the first two chapters of Dead Center it doesn't show you anything close to all the crazy shit you have to do and traverse (ledges, soda runs, etc). It's a truly amazing game. I don't know why the demo rubbed me so wrong but holy shit. This game is phenomenal.

And I LOVE the axe. Just love it.

FrankT

Tried to play some co-op last night and it was pretty laggy (XBL). Not sure if there were some overall server issues going on or what.

Volcynika

Still, one of the scariest things (but probably not for some people) was when I hit a Witch with stray shot on Hard Rain 2...on Realism mode. I ran like hell, still hearing the screams. My friend hit her with a few incendiary rounds and they're like "KEEP ON RUNNING!"

It's scary as hell to hear the witch sounds and you just keep on running, knowing that if you look back, you might see her right about to one shot kill you.

(Fortunately out ran her and she died, but damn.)

1up

Hard Rain's return trip from the Gas station is so awesome in vs. Played through all the campaigns in a row last night on advanced. Someone dropped the gnome on Dark Carnival 4 though.

R.I.P. Gnome, nevar forget.

We did Hard Rain for the first time. Realism mode. Fucken amazing

hardrain1.jpg

hardrain2.jpg

hardrain3.jpg

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I've only had one "Oh Shit!" moment so far. During Dark Carnival, while me and Joe Fu were at the motel, I turned the corner after the first row of rooms and there was damn Tank right in front of me. (I didn't here jack shit!)

I just pictured JoeFu seeing me innocuously turning the corner and then just run the fuck out screaming. :lol

Nabs

Sanjay said:
Hell yes, you hear this Vert! use Skype!

no way.

but vent isn't the greatest either. there's another program called Mumble that has damn near no lag, and excellent voice quality.

Sanjay said:
This brings me to another matter of discussion? are mics vital for L4D2?

yeah it is. i was once on the no mic side, but then competition got much better. it's just too bad l4d has shit voip, or else i'd use my mic more often. i only do so when my team agrees to jump on vent.

catfish said:
yeah long is ok, but it's really really long..... sometimes don't have the time.

I kind of like MW2 at the moment because the levels and the campaign are bite sized.

You can still play by chapter, right? One chapter should be doable in an hour or so.

I know I joked about this earlier, but Dead Center really does a bad job utilizing the Savannah setting. It might as well be any other city. You get a hotel, some highways, and a mall. That's not a city, that's the stuff you see driving out to the airport. You don't even see the Savannah River, ffs!

There's so much stuff they could've done; the hotel could have been based on the Westin on Hutchinson Island with a view facing the Savannah River and River Street, followed by a level going through a marsh and across the Talmadge Bridge, then a level starting on River Street and going through the Historic District and the parks and squares, a level that goes down Abercorn Street, and finally ending at either Hunter Army Air Force Base or the Oglethorpe Mall (which are very close to each other).

but nope, generic hotel and streets and mall, boy this sure is setting the mood

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
OmegaDragon said:
You can still play by chapter, right? One chapter should be doable in an hour or so.

yeah you can, but I made the MW2 reference as some of those levels are 15 minutes max.

anyway. I'm into this in about 2 hours. anyone want to play add me

dogfish on steam

stupid question to those skype/vent users:

how is this managed in the game? talking survivors can be seen by the infected in versus, right? If you use some 3rd party conversation tools this is kinda cheating, isn't it?
We use steams own voice chat because me has ha shitty connection anyway :D Not ingame because gamesounds are too loud in times. In Vista/7 you can put the volume of the chat beyond that of the game :)

JoeFu

Banned
fallengorn said:
I've only had one "Oh Shit!" moment so far. During Dark Carnival, while me and Joe Fu were at the motel, I turned the corner after the first row of rooms and there was damn Tank right in front of me. (I didn't here jack shit!)

I just pictured JoeFu seeing me innocuously turning the corner and then just run the fuck out screaming. :lol

Haha, yeah that tank came out of no where. This game is awesome though, love the hiding spots that the infected use. One that made me jump was in DC 4 right before the turntable doors, a charger came out and ran into fallen. Can't wait to try out vs on this.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nabs said:
no way.

but vent isn't the greatest either. there's another program called Mumble that has damn near no lag, and excellent voice quality.

yeah it is. i was once on the no mic side, but then competition got much better. it's just too bad l4d has shit voip, or else i'd use my mic more often. i only do so when my team agrees to jump on vent.

Nabs I will always jump on Vent or even install this program Mumble just to hear your sexy voice coordinate us.

Anyone annoyed with this line showing up in every criticism and review of the game?

Left 4 Dead 2 feels like the game Valve should have shipped this time last year.

That's from the GiantBomb review, which gave the game a 4/5. Why is it that when L4D2 makes all these improvements, most of which came from user feedback and extensive play testing in the last year, they can nullify it saying "it should have all been in the first game".

The spitter and new crescendos were added as a counter to the corner camping of the first game.

Wandering witches were added to keep veterans of L4D1 on their toes.

Weapons were rebalanced due to everyone taking auto-shotties in the first game.

The only one I can remotely agree with would be melee weapons. It just makes me mad that franchises like COD and Madden can make even fewer changes between games and still get 100s. Why is this being reviewed as what the first game should have been instead of what's actually there?

BuddhaRockstar said:
Anyone annoyed with this line showing up in every criticism and review of the game?

Is it wierd that both L4D2 and Assassins Creed 2 both came out the same day and people are saying this for each of them.

DUN DUN DUN!

*edit*

And man... this game kicks me in the balls with its difficulty. Even normal mode can be a bitch!

ElyrionX

I bought this for the 360, went online, saw 32 of my friends online. 28 of them were playing MW2, 2 were playing AC2 and 2 were playing Halo 3 and ODST.

WTF

ElyrionX said:
I bought this for the 360, went online, saw 32 of my friends online. 28 of them were playing MW2, 2 were playing AC2 and 2 were playing Halo 3 and ODST.

WTF

You got some strange friends in wrong places!

vertopci

Anyone who uses vent or skype seriously needs to check out Mumble. Shit is fucking amazing. It feels like there is literally no lag at all between you sending a message and the other receiving it. Plus it has this crazy plug in for L4D that enables positional audio. So much awesome :lol

And Sanjay skype sucks!

Also I say that a mic is required to play decent in L4D/L4D2

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ItsInMyVeins said:
Anyone want to play through dark carnivale? Preferably on normal? :)

I'll be on in around 90 mins if you still keen.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vertopci said:
Anyone who uses vent or skype seriously needs to check out Mumble. Shit is fucking amazing. It feels like there is literally no lag at all between you sending a message and the other receiving it. Plus it has this crazy plug in for L4D that enables positional audio. So much awesome :lol

And Sanjay skype sucks!

Also I say that a mic is required to play decent in L4D/L4D2

Ok can we switch to mumble then for our nightly games? I will install it tonight.

BuddhaRockstar said:
It just makes me mad that franchises like COD and Madden can make even fewer changes between games and still get 100s.
Money hats, etc. But, yeah, it does annoy me, too =/

Why is this being reviewed as what the first game should have been instead of what's actually there?
I think they say that more to mean that the improvements are THAT good (of course, I know where you're coming from and am inclined to agree).

BuddhaRockstar said:
The only one I can remotely agree with would be melee weapons. It just makes me mad that franchises like COD and Madden can make even fewer changes between games and still get 100s. Why is this being reviewed as what the first game should have been instead of what's actually there?
In truth? $60. Multiplayer only (for all practical purposes). Expectation of Valve commitment to extensive DLC.

On release it didn't "feel" like a complete game. More like a nice starter pack that would act as a foundation for further DLC campaign packs. This may seem unfair, but consider how much expectations had been raised by the release of the Orange Box, the best damn value in gaming this generation. Thus, when word of the sequel coming out in the next year hit, whole chunks of the gaming internets lost their shit entirely. But hey, that's just my take on history.

Left 4 Dead 2 won't be alone with those kinds of remarks: Expect Assassin's Creed 2, Mirror's Edge 2 and just about any other second installments to contain the same complaint/quip.

Just played my first couple games of Scavenge with two others. Kind of a frantic blast, although every one of the randoms we got grouped with was awful. One of them even asked at the end "why do I always get destroyed when I play this game??" and we were all "uhhh, because you run to the other side of the map by yourself."

Shoogoo

I'll probably get my fingers slashed because of this but I don't like Ellis and Nick's running animations. In L4D, every character had a very polished animation (especially Louis and Bill) in the same genre as TF2. Valve at its best.

Now I don't know about Ellis and Nick. There is something wrong in Nick's bust and legs when he runs (95% of the time) and in Ellis's legs when he runs.

Hell, someone here posted a picture that exactly demonstrates what I'm saying;

2s6t16a.png

I told that to a friend but he didn't see it, so yeah you can tell me to shup up.

Also, to be fair I know the game is mostly getting 9s instead of 10s because there's basically no single player mode and for some reason game critics still can't seem to comprehend that a multiplayer only game can be just as good as a good single player game with a multiplayer mode tacked on.

I just feel the level of polish and design deserves better scores than the game is currently getting. I also think reviewers should have to state how they play the game, as in, are they playing with 3 friends or 3 random players, and what difficulty they're playing on.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
BuddhaRockstar said:
Also, to be fair I know the game is mostly getting 9s instead of 10s because there's basically no single player mode and for some reason game critics still can't seem to comprehend that a multiplayer only game can be just as good as a good single player game with a multiplayer mode tacked on.

I just feel the level of polish and design deserves better scores than the game is currently getting. I also think reviewers should have to state how they play the game, as in, are they playing with 3 friends or 3 random players, and what difficulty they're playing on.

Sad that people cant be happy with a nines out of tens.

TheOneGuy said:
Go back in time and look at some initial impressions and expectations. Plenty of people had a blast and found the game worth every penny, but plenty enough also justified paying full price because of Valve's talk of commitment to the game via DLC. It was assumed by just about everybody that L4D1 would get new campaign content - and we did get *some* content, but not full campaigns.

I was a little irked when I heard about Left 4 Dead, and amazed that Valve would be shipping a new game in a year, but I'm damn happy with what I've gotten so far out of both games.

On release it didn't "feel" like a complete game. More like a nice starter pack that would act as a foundation for further DLC campaign packs. This may seem unfair, but consider how much expectations had been raised by the release of the Orange Box, the best damn value in gaming this generation. Thus, when word of the sequel coming out in the next year hit, whole chunks of the gaming internets lost their shit entirely. But hey, that's just my take on history.

Honestly, I don't feel like DLC is an issue to most game reviewers. Unlike devoted fans, reviewers usually play a game once to review and then move on to the next game, it's one reason I never take IGNs "replayability score" seriously. I'm sure they might have their personal favorites they play in their free time, but the DLC issue was more of a valve community concern than a review issue.

Sad that people cant be happy with a nines out of tens.

I'm not unhappy with a 9 out of 10, it's a great score. But when comparing these scores relative to other sequels I'm finding inconsistencies between scores and that's what I'm pointing out. The PC version of MW2 was a step back in many regards yet is receiving higher scores from the major review sites.

Edit- I'd like to point out that most of my complaints are exacerbated by the fact that a lot of reviewers are choosing the 360 version as their primary platform for their review.

BuddhaRockstar said:
Edit- I'd like to point out that most of my complaints are exacerbated by the fact that a lot of reviewers are choosing the 360 version as their primary platform for their review.
Yep. I think that's it right there. Expectations were probably higher from 360 users waiting on the game as Valve's commitment to support it with post release content was something new for the console world. The PC version was always going to get an SDK and mods, so official DLC was less of an issue.

Top Bottom