• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Chinner

Banned
It's really depends on the situation and on your team. Generally I avoid charging into teams that have full health and have auto-shotguns, cause you're going down quickly. Sometimes its best just to stick back and throw rocks at them in a bid to distract and buy your team mates time.

I reckon there's two elements to a successful tank attack: Suprise and teamwork. Obviously taking a team by surprise will give you a few easy hits, but with experienced players they'll know where you're coming from. Otherwise, I generally find that with a well oiled team the tank is more of an intimidation tool for pushing the survivors into the traps of your infected friends.

Papercuts said:
Seeing the boomer hate on the last page or so makes me sad. He is my favorite to play in the first, and in 2 I still greatly enjoy him. I'm also really liking the spitter for some similar reasons, yay annoying the crap out of people.

The only people that hate on Boomers are people that don't know how to use him. The Boomer is easily one of the most important and useful infected if the player knows how to use him properly. A few people on here have already stated why. I do have to say though, the new Spitter is a beast!

Fireye

I always thought the boomer was a "She" or a "Her", so the new model made me go "What's the point of this?" for a minute. It's also tougher to play as a boomer these days, since a lot of the campaigns have huge open areas.

Rubashov

Fireye said:
I always thought the boomer was a "She" or a "Her", so the new model made me go "What's the point of this?" for a minute.

I had the same reaction. I don't what that means when we see someone who's that big with so much gas and likes to vomit on you, and we assume it's a woman.

dark carnival is the favourite versus map? well considering on our last run the tank was on the roof of the stage chucking rocks and refused to come down while the SI spawned as often as they wanted its not my favourite map!

vertopci

Letters said:
Are tanks in l4d2 hurt by gunfire damage while on fire? In the first game shooting them while on fire didn't seem to bring their health down any faster.

Where the heck did you get that idea from? Of course gunfire hurts the tank in both L4D and L4D2 :lol

Fireye said:
1) Never rightclick (throw rock) when you're in close quarters with survivors. They'll run up and melee your ass down.
2) Try to back several survivors into a corner, or in the same general area. That way, when you smash them, you'll hit multiple people.
3) Being able to knock survivors off of tall places (or into water) is a good thing. The knockback on your punch is huge!
4) Play strategically. Wait for more of your teammates to spawn. A distracted team of survivors is a dead team of survivors.
5) Going out in the open is generally a bad idea. It lets survivors attack you from all angles at a safe distance.

Point 1 is wrong. If you can't catch up to them, ALWAYS throw a rock whether it's close quarters or not.

vazel

Banned
Letters said:
Are tanks in l4d2 hurt by gunfire damage while on fire? In the first game shooting them while on fire didn't seem to bring their health down any faster.
What are you talking about? Basic observation will tell you that a tank on fire plus getting shot at with tier 2 weapons = a tank that dies fast.

Is there any kind person in the US or wherever willing to gift me the uncensored version on STEAM? I was able to get the censored Australian version revoked from my STEAM account. I have the money at hand and a paypal account and i'd make immediate payment. PM me and we'll share details.

I'd be very grateful. :D

vazel said:
What are you talking about? Basic observation will tell you that a tank on fire plus getting shot at with tier 2 weapons = a tank that dies fast.

Originally in L4D1, when the tank was set on fire, it became immune to damage but a countdown began before it died. This was changed in a patch.

feel

vertopci said:
Where the heck did you get that idea from? Of course gunfire hurts the tank in both L4D and L4D2 :lol
Seriously? All this time my friends and I could swear shooting the tank while he was on fire did nothing, since it felt to us that it took the same long amount of time for him to die after being lit, wether we where shooting him or not. We probably came to this poor conclusion the first days and didn't bother researching about it, so all this time we either shot him to death without using fire, or used a molotov and ran away. Never doing both. :lol

Zod the Bear said:
Originally in L4D1, when the tank was set on fire, it became immune to damage but a countdown began before it died. This was changed in a patch.

Ah, that explains it, we never realized that got changed. Thanks.

It's too early to say, but I'm going to say it... I feel like versus is far, far too much about the rush now. The pace is so hectic and wild, it seems like it's neutered a lot of the intricacies of when to stick and when to move, because there are almost no good times to stick, and bar grabbing what you see, and the occasional pile of ammo, there's little reason to deviate from the fastest possible route at that fastest possible speed, because distance is all that matters.

Also, the spitter needs a nerf, seriously. It's by far the most powerful infected bar the tank now. With one tight space, and a few boomed survivors, a spitter can kill a round in seconds.

Volodja

I love the people that run to the switch as soon as the round starts in survivor. Really. Love 'em.

In the Motel survival map of Dark Carnival stacking weapons in the corner of the map basically on the opposite side of where everything spawns looks like a very strong option to achieve nice times. Even if the process of stacking weapons is pretty tedious.

Red Scarlet

Pimpbaa said:
They need an infected single player mode. You can practice all you want as the survivors in single player, but with infected it's trial by fire.

edit: fuckin typos

There was that Hunter Training map in 1, maybe people will make other ones. I learned how to 1 wall jump from that, and you can practice 25's on it as well as I guess all the wall pouncing tricks.

Tanks look like they have more HP..looks like 8000 on Advanced now, which was their expert HP. Melee weapons do a lot though.

Majora

Shake Appeal said:
It's too early to say, but I'm going to say it... I feel like versus is far, far too much about the rush now. The pace is so hectic and wild, it seems like it's neutered a lot of the intricacies of when to stick and when to move, because there are almost no good times to stick, and bar grabbing what you see, and the occasional pile of ammo, there's little reason to deviate from the fastest possible route at that fastest possible speed, because distance is all that matters.

Yeah if I'm honest I'm not sure I like versus as much in this, and I loved it in L4D1. The respawn timer seems shorter, the new infected, while negating some old tactics, make everything feel much more frantic, and the change to the scoring system seems bizarre to me. If both teams finish the stage, for example, they'll both get the same points, the only thing differentiating them being the number of incaps. So there's no difference between a team finishing with green health and a medkit each, or red health and no medkits. That used to separate the great from the good in the original. Also there's less incentive, scoring wise, for everyone to survive. If 2 people die 30 feet from the saferoom that could make a huge difference in the score in L4D1 but it won't make much difference in L4D2. I don't know if it's to try to keep the scores closer but I can't say I care for it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
oh damnit. got stuck on a wall and didn't make it to the chopper in the carnival. booo. also, seems like my stats really got wiped. I rescored 'a ride denied' just now. CRAP

Zod the Bear said:
Almost but not quite. Fire had a separate death timer, but you could still kill him if you depleted his HP to 0 before that timer expired. It certainly didn't become invincible to gunfire. o_O

zugzug

so nothing much has changed in the versus mode with regards to getting a good game and no penalities for rage quitting and simply joining and quitting many times until you find a game you like. Good to know.

Red Scarlet

Always shoot at the Tank, on fire or not..in 2 the fire does outright damage going by the between level info. Well, I'm not really sure what to do when it's bile bombed..I try to shoot it but not the zombies. But then the zombies stop attacking him after 20 sec, so I gotta use a pipe bomb..I kind of don't find the bile bomb to be actually useful. :/

Red Scarlet said:
Always shoot at the Tank, on fire or not..in 2 the fire does outright damage going by the between level info. Well, I'm not really sure what to do when it's bile bombed..I try to shoot it but not the zombies. But then the zombies stop attacking him after 20 sec, so I gotta use a pipe bomb..I kind of don't find the bile bomb to be actually useful. :/
Bile bomb is great when there's already a horde coming to kick your ass. Otherwise it just gets you in trouble. It's a great 2-birds-with-one-GRENADE weapon when you've already got zombies to exploit, such as at the ends of finales, or if you need an extended period of respite during a horde situation.

It's also awesome in the first level, when you can toss it off the roof and watch every zombie in the building run out the windows to their death. :D

Redd

Shake Appeal said:

Also, the spitter needs a nerf, seriously. It's by far the most powerful infected bar the tank now. With one tight space, and a few boomed survivors, a spitter can kill a round in seconds.

Well at the very least it keeps the survivors moving. Finales were so boring against a great team when they would just camp in a corner until a Tank comes. Now you got to move all the time cuz the spitter boomer combo will mess up even the best teams.

Red Scarlet

I seem to remember people saying that once you lit a Tank, it'd die in..40? 45 seconds from the fire, so you could try killing it with gunfire and it'd die after that time from the actual fire anyway, so maybe that's what people are thinking about, taking it as light him up = Tank dies in 40/45 sec.

How About No said:
I could have sworn this was the case once. If not I was a horrible advice-giver=(

Ditto. I remember setting it on fire and shoot and it'd still take the same amount of time if we weren't shooting. /shrug

Red Scarlet said:
Bile is awesome when you have a moly or another environmental source of fire.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
I also remember being told this and then later being told it had been changed.

edit: regarding the tank not taking weapon damage while on fire.

Red Scarlet

MickeyKnox said:
Bile is awesome when you have a moly or another environmental source of fire.

Yeah that's what I sometimes do..toss bile at some zombs, then wait a little, then toss a molotov at them, but then I think 'why did I just use 2 nades for that?'

Firestorm

You know what they should do for Realism mode? Make it distance-based voice communication. If you're too far from your group, you can't hear them because their voice doesn't travel far enough. Would be awesome =) I think some Xbox game did that where you could hear your opponents talking if you got close enough.

Was thinking about that during the genius
Hard Rain sequence where you're running back through the cornfields in a thunderstorm.

Red Scarlet said:
Yeah that's what I sometimes do..toss bile at some zombs, then wait a little, then toss a molotov at them, but then I think 'why did I just use 2 nades for that?'
I use it as a herding tool, either defensively or offensively depending on the situation, it's also good for slowing down a Tank when you need to juke them.

gregor7777 said:
The game has crashed twice on me now. Engine IVP error or some shit.

Annoying.
That's been happening to me consistently in Scavenge. I verified the game cache, and some file had to be redownloaded, hoping that fixes it for me.

Red Scarlet said:
In Versus, it really sucks when you get hit with a bile bomb as a tank. It really slows you down allowing the Survivors to do a lot of damage without being able to catch them.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I've only put a few hours into this so far, but I'm pretty happy with it. Totally feels like what the game should've been all along.

vazel

Banned
The first game is still relevant. Maps aren't as long and it's nice not having to worry about chargers and spitters and tank is king of the heap.

Red Scarlet

Firestorm said:
You know what they should do for Realism mode? Make it distance-based voice communication. If you're too far from your group, you can't hear them because their voice doesn't travel far enough. Would be awesome =) I think some Xbox game did that where you could hear your opponents talking if you got close enough.

Hard Rain sequence where you're running back through the cornfields in a thunderstorm.

Supposedly, going by what someone said while playing, you can't hear them during that.

Firestorm

Red Scarlet said:
Supposedly, going by what someone said while playing, you can't hear them during that.
You sort of can. It's all very muffled even not on Realism mode. The thunder drowns out your voice. Really well done, but
considering you're not using any sort of communication device in the game, I think it would be more "realistic" if in realism mode, you had to be near each other to communicate at all. Not to mention it would promote the "stick together or die alone" mentality they seem to want to reinforce with that mode.

Malvolio

I don't suppose anyone knows if getting the players voices to play through my USB headset while keeping the in game audio through my speakers is possible. I never found a way to fix that in L4D and I assume it's a Steam failing, but it can't hurt to ask.

TheOneGuy said:
Scavenge is the single worst experience I've ever had in a video game.
I'll raise you a "Scavenger Mode is more enjoyable than Versus" for added controversy.

Firestorm said:

I think Vert said a few pages back that Mumble actually has a Left 4 Dead plug-in for that, but it hasn't been made compatible with 2 yet. Plus it needs to be installed on a server or something, making it less practical. Hopefully Valve themselves will expand Realism Mode with a feature like that, as well as minimizing the HUD so that you can only your own health and items.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Friends were over today, played some split-screen Dark Carnival. On Normal.

HOLY shit at the second to last act. The very last part. Where you have to push through all the zombies. How is that even possible? We had to go down to easy, and even that was hard.

Top Bottom