• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

vazel

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Guys, boomer is incredibly useful. In our Gaf games, the boomer is the most important part of a successful attack. In fact, most wipes couldn't happen without the aid of a good boom on 3+ people.
That is true. But there are annoying aspects of Boomer. I personally only hate being the tank. If you lose the game it's so easy to blame the tanks. And then people expect you to stand there throwing rocks for 10-15 minutes which is fucking boring. I actually like it when the survivors rush me as tank that way a fight is forced.

Twig

Banned
d0c_zaius said:
how long is the carnival?

We played forever, got to what we thought was the end, and died running to the merry-go-round :(
There are four maps. I think you were on the... second.

Xdrive05

TheOneGuy said:
useful != fun

Sad but true.

Boomer is not fun only if you miss (or get spawned 30 miles away from the survivors). But a successful boom is very fun IMO.

It's legal griefing, what's not to love?

Twig

Banned
Xdrive05 said:
Boomer is not fun only if you miss (or get spawned 30 miles away from the survivors). But a successful boom is very fun IMO.

It's legal griefing, what's not to love?
The entire POINT of infected is griefing.

Smoker is da bestest.

Anyone simply cannot get their microphone to work? It works in the Audio control panel for Windows, it works in the Steam voice settings, but once I start up L4D2, nothing.

Firestorm

EmCeeGramr said:
Anyone simply cannot get their microphone to work? It works in the Audio control panel for Windows, it works in the Steam voice settings, but once I start up L4D2, nothing.
Mine died once but I quit the game and came back in and it worked. My voice seems to die sometimes if I use Open Mic (which is what I prefer) so I just put it on Push to Talk =/

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vazel said:
That is true. But there are annoying aspects of Boomer. I personally only hate being the tank. If you lose the game it's so easy to blame the tanks. And then people expect you to stand there throwing rocks for 10-15 minutes which is fucking boring. I actually like it when the survivors rush me as tank that way a fight is forced.

Yeah I feel exactly the same about the tank haha, I always feel so much pressure and then I fuck it up and losing the game is like my fault.

TheOneGuy said:
There are four maps. I think you were on the... second.

There are five maps in Dark Carnival. That is the second map.

Don't play Boomer as a damage class, because that's not what it is.

Boomer stops progress, and disorients the survivors so that the other classes can attack.

So spawning alone as a Boomer while everyone else waits is not helping anyone. Wait for everyone to spawn, then coordinate.

I'm not saying it's easy (because it isn't), or that I'm good at it (because I'm not), but I find Boomer incredibly fun to play.

EmCeeGramr said:

I have a bluetooth headset that's really finicky with L4D in general.

It needs to be initialized in a certain order for it to work. otherwise L4D simply ignores it.

JWong

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
I'm having troubles with my mic as well. One level, it works fine. The next level, it screws up and gets all staticy.

vazel

Banned
Only problem I have is it being too sensitive with open mic. But I'm using my pseye which has four microphones in it so that's probably why. The thing was designed to be used from 6-8 feet away.

CoLaN

Yea i got all the achievements wiped but i can't care less :p

They are useless and often used to brag in a "wrong" way

d0c_zaius

oh ok, second map.....ouch.

I guess people weren't kidding about the longer campaigns. Funny thing though, Dead Center felt overwith real quick.

giant_frying_pan said:
Good games, gregor! Again, sorry the teams were a bit unbalanced, although we did have one no micer. Hopefully I'll have some juicy video from it up soon! (although not too soon...bed time!)

I had fun. It was me and 3 randoms for awhile there, with two dropping out every round. :lol

I got Crushed on my team after the 3rd map, so it wasn't all bad. At least half our team was consistent.

conman

So is anyone here actually playing this on 360? Or is everyone a PC player?

Can't for the life of me figure out why no one is playing this game on my friends list.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Yeah I feel exactly the same about the tank haha, I always feel so much pressure and then I fuck it up and losing the game is like my fault.
Yeah. ):

Actually I don't care if I suck. It's my team's loss if they depend on me. Muahaha!

I have changed my mind about rock-throwing though. It's not as bad as I used to think. I am a changed man.

I feel much more pressure when I have to fight them in the face 'cause then I'm taking aton of damage AND not hurting them as opposed to just not hurting them. Lewl.
There are five maps in Dark Carnival. That is the second map.
Touché.

At least I was half-right!

EmCeeGramr said:

check your audio settings in l4d2. if its 7.1 switch to headphones or 2 speakers and restart l4d2 and try that. basically try changing the speaker settings.

Red Scarlet said:
Hopefully you'll see this RD, a friend of mine wants to join in our game tomorrow, and I messaged MickeyKnox if he wants to give it a go. So we might have our 4.
I'm good for it, let me know when to jump on.

MicVlaD said:
I wish the Boomer's bile had an effect on fuel canisters.

th_sf4_ken_ass_f.png

Sibylus

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
So Dark Carnival is set in Griffin? That means that Ellis must have been driving them northwest to Atlanta down I-16 and they got on I-75. If they were that close to Atlanta, I can totally understand why there were miles of cars backed up.

Yeesh, thinking about it, they were probably lucky for that. Heading into the heart of the Atlanta metro area (and it would have been fucked up) would have been insane. Now I want them to release a "non-canon" campaign for that.

Now we just need to know where Swamp Fever and Hard Rain take place, and we can map out the Survivor's entire journey!
This will be inaccurate without locations for Swamp Fever and Hard Rain, but w/e:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...97&sspn=5.724338,11.634521&num=10&ie=UTF8&z=6

MickeyKnox said:
I'm good for it, let me know when to jump on.
Red said "after dinner", so presumably around 6-7PM PST?

As far as strategies go, I think we're going to want every scrap of advantage we can get. Maps 1 and 2 are the most brutal, whereas 3-5 are significantly shorter in comparison. We'll probably want to keep a brisk pace throughout, so avoid searching for supplies if we're doing alright in that aspect. Always know where the nearest defensible location is. Make liberal use of pipe bombs and molotovs. For the love of God, don't throw boomer bile if there's not already a swarm. Oh, and kill anyone below 50HP before closing the saferoom door (But make sure nothing can spawn in the saferoom beforehand).

Cimarron

Am I the only one that is kinda dissapointed that they softened up the Tanks? I miss the panic and mayhem that came along with him! :(

Cimarron said:
Am I the only one that is kinda dissapointed that they softened up the Tanks? I miss the panic and mayhem that came along with him! :(

I think people are just used to them now, plus the survivors now have a second grenade that works pretty well on them (bile bomb) and the combat shotgun not to mention melee is useful against them. As L4D1 matured the tank was pretty much a joke there as well.

On expert they are still pretty fearsome, though.

There needs to be a new 'boss' infected that brings back the tension. :)

TheExodu5

Banned
gregor7777 said:
I can see mine from last night. I believe they were wiped once, two or three days ago.

I didn't lose them all, but I lost 3 minute bridge, and melee weapon campaign for sure. This is getting frustrating.

wayward archer said:
I think people are just used to them now, plus the survivors now have a second grenade that works pretty well on them (bile bomb) and the combat shotgun not to mention melee is useful against them. As L4D1 matured the tank was pretty much a joke there as well.

On expert they are still pretty fearsome, though.

There needs to be a new 'boss' infected that brings back the tension. :)

I don't know, the tank might be a little weaker but when I got rushed by one on Tank 7 in the Atrium I certainly didn't expect him to be joined by a dang Hunter and Spitter.

Now I'm just scared all the time.

vazel said:
Yeah, I'm always disappointed when I get picked to play tank. I never manage to hit anyone with the rocks either. They need a tank target practice mode where you can practice throwing rocks at things.

Pimpbaa

CrookedRain said:
Yeah, I'm always disappointed when I get picked to play tank. I never manage to hit anyone with the rocks either. They need a tank target practice mode where you can practice throwing rocks at things.

They need an infected single player mode. You can practice all you want as the survivors in single player, but with infected it's trial by fire.

edit: fuckin typos

Pimpbaa said:
They need an infected single player mode. You can't practice all you want as the survivors in single player, but with infected it's trial by fire.

Scavenger mode is good practice for versus IMO. Shorter rounds, best out of five.

Bebpo

Banned
Cimarron said:

Tanks still often end matches from what I've experienced. Get 15 mins into a long campaign stage and then a Tank + other special infected show up or Tank + horde = ffffuuuuuu

Then again I don't play with expert L4D gamers. I just play with random people online.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Seeing the boomer hate on the last page or so makes me sad. He is my favorite to play in the first, and in 2 I still greatly enjoy him. I'm also really liking the spitter for some similar reasons, yay annoying the crap out of people.

vertopci

Cimarron said:

Tank is just fine. He isn't a solo attacking machine you know.

Malvolio

I swear, playing versus on public servers is like going shopping with my x. All I'm trying to do is get through the damn level as fast as possible. Meanwhile, my group has decided they need to investigate each and every hotel room in case there is a bottle of health pills that need saving. No matter how much I try to impress upon them that now is not the time for window shopping, they all line up at the windows. Of course, then the Charger spawns and rams them all out the window. I really need to play in more GAF games.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
how do you control the tank? I've NEVER been picked to be him and i know I'll fuck it up the first time out.

Firestorm

catfish said:
how do you control the tank? I've NEVER been picked to be him and i know I'll fuck it up the first time out.
wasd = run
left click = smash
right click = chuck rock from nowhere

smash cars to have them fly at survivors for insta-incap

Malvolio

catfish said:

The biggest thing to be concerned about is to avoid the Molotov. Big open areas mean that you will get hit with the Molly and the group will kite you as the fire kills you off. I'm not a pro, but I prefer to hide in an enclosed area even if it means I lose control of the tank. (Which will happen if you don't engage the survivors in a certain amount of time. Luckily another teammate will take over.)

Redd

Wow its way tough now to get all the survivors to the safe house compared to L4D1. When me and my friends play we consider it a great map if we make it 75% of the way. Every game we played in versus have been real close, like less than 200 points heading into the final map. I really shouldn't be playing versus since I have no idea where to go 95% so it'll probably be way easier once we know where we're going later.

Redd

catfish said:

I found it's rarely ever wise to fight survivors out in the open. Better to snipe them from afar and wait for backup from your teammates.

Ettie

Really enjoying the demo, going for the full game soon.

However, the real reason I came into this thread?

TTOTY, right here folks.

Thread Title of the Year

Fireye

h4k said:
I'm so bad at being the Tank. Anyone wanna give me a tip or two?
1) Never rightclick (throw rock) when you're in close quarters with survivors. They'll run up and melee your ass down.
2) Try to back several survivors into a corner, or in the same general area. That way, when you smash them, you'll hit multiple people.
3) Being able to knock survivors off of tall places (or into water) is a good thing. The knockback on your punch is huge!
4) Play strategically. Wait for more of your teammates to spawn. A distracted team of survivors is a dead team of survivors.
5) Going out in the open is generally a bad idea. It lets survivors attack you from all angles at a safe distance.

feel

Are tanks in l4d2 hurt by gunfire damage while on fire? In the first game shooting them while on fire didn't seem to bring their health down any faster.

Top Bottom