• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

I have so much fun with the jockey... when you grab the last standing guy and he was almost at full health, and you just take him around a corner... and sit there riding him FOREVER... :lol most agonizing death for the other team. I can just sit there and type sweet nothings as I slowly kill the guy.

vanty

Is there any kind of guide to the weapons? It's so confusing compared to L4D1, even just the pistols :/ Is dual pistols always the default one and the one that looks like the L4D1 pistol even though on the ground it looks totally different? Is there any reason to use the AK when it seems be be far less accurate and has a smaller clip than M16? Some shotguns seem exactly the same except for looks as well.

syllogism

Shake Appeal said:
Needs a nerf.
Not unless you improve other infected or remove kits (haha right as if that's going to happen) as the game is generally still too easy for survivors. I think boomer should spawn more frequently, ideally there should always be one boomer.

Rahk

vanty. said:
Is there any kind of guide to the weapons? It's so confusing compared to L4D1, even just the pistols :/ Is dual pistols always the default one and the one that looks like the L4D1 pistol even though on the ground it looks totally different? Is there any reason to use the AK when it seems be be far less accurate and has a smaller clip than M16? Some shotguns seem exactly the same except for looks as well.
You'll probably figure it out after a bit of play time.

For pistols, you start with a regular one, and if you pick up another one, you dual wield that with a glock. There's also a magnum, which holds 8 bullets and can 1 shot kill common infected no matter what difficulty. I find the magnum much better than dual pistol; especially useful when you are down.

AK is more powerful than the M16. It's quite good if you crouch and shoot, but terrible if you run unless you have a laser sight. The SCAR holds the most ammo, shoots 3 bullets at a time, is more accurate and does more damage than the M16.

There are two sniper rifles. The regular L4D1 one, and a new better one with faster rate of fire and higher clips size.

The combat shotgun, the new one, is slightly different to the L4D1 one. It has less spread, so longer range, but does slightly less damage from point blank. I think you also can cancel a reload quicker than the other shotgun by shooting, but not totally sure on that.

Edit: Ah, here's a wiki with a weapons list: http://left4dead.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons Click the weapons for more detail.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
sorry didn't play chinner, was too busy doing the best out of everyone in a public game then getting pounced by a hunter literally 1 cm from the car in the Dead centre finale. Would play now but gotta go watch the kiwis hopefully beat the english at rugby.

WTF

also, my achievements actually got totally wiped. WTF. I thought it was just a website bug. that is total ass. I got some tricky ones by accident!

Jockey is waaay more scary than the hunter as well.

God this game is amazing.

The spitter probably needs a slight damage nerf, but i love how it always keeps you on your toes and combats the corner camping of the first game. Versus mode gets so damn hectic and intense at times.

marvelharvey said:
Oh indeed, 400 damage points per melee! Tank goes down in ten swipes!
Forget what I typed here. This is what another player told me as a struck his tank with a baseball bat. After trying out myself, it is infact 70.

Spotless Mind said:
God this game is amazing.

The spitter probably needs a slight damage nerf, but i love how it always keeps you on your toes and combats the corner camping of the first game. Versus mode gets so damn hectic and intense at times.

That fucking Spitter fucked up my Whack-A-Mustachio game!!

How did they know?!?!

:lol

Rahk

Spitter is fine as it is, in my opinion. Sure it's quite powerful with good teamwork in the right circumstances, but survivors have an easy enough time getting to the end as it is. It should be difficult to make it to the end of each map, so that when you do make it, it's satisfying. Also, so that it doesn't take 2 hours to finish each game.

Charger is good fun, especially when you charge them off an edge, like on the top floor of the sugar mill, or the bridge finale.

Many lols and rage quits had in versus.

NotWii

Banned
If L4D2 really takes place about a month after L4D1...
Howcome this is the first time the new survivors have come across/seen the zombies?

Sure they may not have heard about/encountered the special infected since communications would be down.
But the first time they see zombies in Dead Center, they react in a horrified way "What ARE these things?!"
Did it really take a month or so for the outbreak to reach the South from Seattle?

I beat Dark Carnival this morning by the way, single player. Talk about expert sound design in the finale. You've got cock rock blasting, blurring together with your Special infected cues, and then the pyrotechnics start. Holy shit. And you're already still a little buzzed from that INSANE run to the safe house in Chapter 4, so amazing.

We lost Rochelle at the helicopter. I was actually so crushed. When the In Memory Of came up I was like "No! Rochelle!"

Fucking zombies.

Blizzard

Banned
marvelharvey said:
Forget what I typed here. This is what another player told me as a struck his tank with a baseball bat. After trying out myself, it is infact 70.
Unless some bats have superpowers, or hitting the tank in the head from behind is 400, etc. etc.

But seriously, seems like Frusmod 3.0 won't be needed, then.

Unless it's needed to nerf spitter and get rid of medkits! :O :O :O :lol

I wondered at first if the jockey would be too underpowered, since the person being ridden could still kinda control themselves, according to Valve...but apparently you can't really do that very well, I guess? And it's not too easy to just melee-stop hunters and chargers now? Also, does the smoker's tongue break any less easily now?

Chinner

Banned
catfish said:
sorry didn't play chinner, was too busy doing the best out of everyone in a public game then getting pounced by a hunter literally 1 cm from the car in the Dead centre finale. Would play now but gotta go watch the kiwis hopefully beat the english at rugby.
no problems bro.

i hope they patch the scoring system so it scores more like l4d1

Nabs

Sanjay said:
Heres some advice, avoid getting hit by melee weapons, they are brutal and more powerful then guns if a team of 4 get you close range, shit was brutal!
:lol :lol

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Did anyone notice that on the Midnight Riders website there's an extra tour date in Cleveland on October 31st? The in-game poster only has dates up to Slocomb, Mississippi date. It's probably nothing of significance, but it makes you wonder why they'd add it.

Draft

Wii said:
Howcome this is the first time the new survivors have come across/seen the zombies?

Sure they may not have heard about/encountered the special infected since communications would be down.
But the first time they see zombies in Dead Center, they react in a horrified way "What ARE these things?!"
Did it really take a month or so for the outbreak to reach the South from Seattle?
I thought it was in fact just the opposite, and L4D2 takes place before the events in L4D1.

Wii said:

Draft said:
I thought it was in fact just the opposite, and L4D2 takes place before the events in L4D1.

It takes place one week afterwards, not a month. The first infection was two weeks before L4D1.

And L4D1 wasn't in Seattle, it was in western Pennsylvania.

vertopci

I think the spitter is perfectly fine. The only way I would willingly accept a nerf to her damage is if they allow the spitter goo to heal infected.

Yea, you heard me. Heal infected. Including the tank. :D

Spruchy

I keep getting matched up with fucking morons.

YO GUYZ I KNOW WE JUST SURVIVED THAT HARD FIGHT BUT I RLY THINK I CAN TAKE DAT WITCH.

YO BROZ LETS MERC ALL THE ZOMBIEZ THEN MAKE A SPRINT FO DA ALARM.

Seriously, if anyone good plays on steam add me: Spruchy@optonline.net

Spruchy said:

YO GUYZ I KNOW WE JUST SURVIVED THAT HARD FIGHT BUT I RLY THINK I CAN TAKE DAT WITCH.

Seriously, if anyone good plays on steam add me: Spruchy@optonline.net

What is wrong with taking on a witch?! I understand you though about stupid morons who fight the zombies instead of running through a horde already for an alarm switch.

Skenzin

Banned
Quick question.

How are the graphics on the 360 version? Was there any improvement over L4D1? While the first one wasn't an ugly game it never seemed well optimized for the console.

Flynn

Rahk said:
Spitter is fine as it is, in my opinion. Sure it's quite powerful with good teamwork in the right circumstances, but survivors have an easy enough time getting to the end as it is. It should be difficult to make it to the end of each map, so that when you do make it, it's satisfying. Also, so that it doesn't take 2 hours to finish each game.

Charger is good fun, especially when you charge them off an edge, like on the top floor of the sugar mill, or the bridge finale.

Many lols and rage quits had in versus.

I got a Nick on the hotel ledge in Dead Center. Ran him the length of the building then went sailing into the parking lot. Very, very satisfying.

Skenzin said:
Quick question.

How are the graphics on the 360 version? Was there any improvement over L4D1? While the first one wasn't an ugly game it never seemed well optimized for the console.
I'd say that the graphics are about the same. Slightly better I guess since the areas are a bit bigger in this game. I have only played 2 campaigns so far though.

NIGHT-

Skenzin said:
Quick question.

They look fine to me. But l4d has never been about graphics

Really great lighting and atmosphere in a lot of sections. Character and item models surprisingly good at times, a definite upgrade, though I miss the cold blue and red lighting from campaigns like Death Toll and No Mercy.

Would like to also chime in about the game - an improvement in every single way. Playing this much more than MW2, having a lot more fun going through the campaigns. Just finished Dark Carnival - genius.

Amir0x

Banned
god Official Dedicated servers still suck on 360, my friends and I have been trying since launch to play one versus match using official dedicated that didn't suck but still no luck :(

And Local Host is hit-or-miss :(

Terrible launch VALVE.

MNC

Amir0x said:
god Official Dedicated servers still suck on 360, my friends and I have been trying since launch to play one versus match using official dedicated that didn't suck but still no luck :(

And Local Host is hit-or-miss :(

Terrible launch VALVE.
Inferior console version etc
PC has lag troubles as well :( Ping of 200, often

edit: anywhere besides the profiles to read up on L4D1/L4D2 backstory?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Spruchy said:

That ain't so bad. I jumped into one game where the morons wanted to take every witch out on Hard Rain...on advanced...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
One of my friends invited me to a game and I basically played a huge marathon of every level in versus until 5AM. :lol

I am terrible with the charger. It feels great when you snag someone a really far distance, but it seems like his model is really misleading. I just run right past people I could swear I nailed, or they do a slight stumble back. But the worst is when you line up in a great spot(Sewer section of Parish) and then he just nicks the edge and you stumble back--I get caught on a ton of stuff with him.

And the Spitter is INSANE on Hard Rain 3. Right after the field on the elevator, it is incredibly easy to quad cap with her. Just aim right where the elevator will be a little before they reach it and it will float up in the air above them, and do a shitload of damage. When I did it, it literally made 3 of the green health survivors incapped, and the fourth got hit by a charger to end it. They did the same to us in the round before to take down two, and a charger tried to get someone off the ledge but missed. I was able to use adrenaline to pick up the other two really fast, but man that part can hurt. You can't prevent it at all either.

Updates to Left 4 Dead 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Left 4 Dead 2

Fixed performance problem when rendering lots of decals, notably when fighting tanks with shotguns

Fixed rcon response not working on Linux dedicated servers

Fixed matchmaking problem matching into Advanced and Expert games

Fix bug that would cause other specials to try to pummel a player a Charger disconnects or reconnects

Fixed versus mode results panel being cut off in transition stats screen in non-english

Found games: fixed non-player entries drawing the wrong type of icon in the selected item name label

Game mode selector on main menu now takes keyboard input

Red Scarlet

EmCeeGramr said:
Updates to Left 4 Dead 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Left 4 Dead 2

Fixed performance problem when rendering lots of decals, notably when fighting tanks with shotguns

I hope that's what I'm thinking of..when my game seems to hiccup when I'm fighting tanks with the combat shotty.

I want to try expert realism again..

Kuro Madoushi said:
That ain't so bad. I jumped into one game where the morons wanted to take every witch out on Hard Rain...on advanced...

Mickey did well on them last night, I think he went for 2 at once. :lol

Twig

Banned
Valve really needs to implement some kidn of "find replacement server" feature for when the server you're on crashes. Whether it's dedicated or local.

Goddamn getting to the finale and not finishing because OOPS crash.

EDIT: OH NO IT CRASHED BECAUSE OF THE UPDATE

EVEN better

Bebpo said:
Stats/Achievements wiped again :lol ;_;

I still have mine...

Good, this one was shitty.

Fixed matchmaking problem matching into Advanced and Expert games

I was playing campaign yesterday. We set it up as Advanced, and with every new round it switched to Expert. I wonder if this is that issue.

Twig

Banned
gregor7777 said:
I was playing campaign yesterday. We set it up as Advanced, and with every new round it switched to Expert. I wonder if this is that issue.
We had that problem with Normal/Advanced once.

Facism

i've had 1 whole laggy game on the pc, and when people realised it was laggy, quickly voted back to lobby and dedicated server get.

Slavik81

gregor7777 said:
I think they might be referring to how the matchmaking can't find anything if you set it to look for Expert games. Just a guess.

EDIT: Yes. That's what was fixed.

I've had the game keep switching to expert every new round. We were stuck on one campaign for ages wondering why it seemed so hard on normal till we realised it kept changing to expert.

Air Zombie Meat said:
I've had the game keep switching to expert every new round. We were stuck on one campaign for ages wondering why it seemed so hard on normal till we realised it kept changing to expert.

Yep :lol

It happened over the course of two games for us, on 2 different servers.

MNC

Oh shit, this probably means the demo's from prior versions stopped working right? We just had some cool demo's :(

Top Bottom