• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Proven

Shogun PaiN said:
A few things that gripe me about versus mode (360) - It pisses me off when the survivors are given cheap health packs throughout the chapter, You work your ass off as infected only for some crummy health pack to show up out of nowhere which pretty much negates any of the work you have just done. I realise it works both ways but I would much prefer everyone only had the health packs at the start and then maybe the odd bottle of painkiller for the rest of the chapter.

Another thing is Melee weapons they just seem too overpowered against the special infected which means things like the hunter becomes almost useless unless you manage to get a survivor who has wandered off on his own.

Dont get me wrong I love the L4D series and played the original an awful lot (1250 GS) but it just seems a few things are unbalanced in the sequel. Oh and another thing why is it that when you barf on peeps as a boomer most of the time the horde doesn't even show up?

Honestly, the Infected are weak. They're meant to be weak. The game makes it easier to incap, but harder to rambo for infected as well as survivors. And considering how long the levels are the extra health packs are needed.

One change someone proposed on another forum, though, is to make infected points about damage rather than incaps. I don't want to go into the specifics of his system, but if the change was made then it would make it a lot easier to not have to change the balance of the game for competitive play.

The levels are so much longer than the first game, and harder, that it's practically necessary for the survivors to be given the advantage. If the balance between Infected ability to kill and Survivor ability to survive was dead even instead, then the majority of the player base wouldn't make it to the safe room unless there was a large teamwork inbalance.

As for the Boomer, thinking back on it now there are many spots in the game where there's some time delay before a horde is allowed to spawn again, Boomer or not. Still, it shouldn't matter; I don't spawn as Boomer unless I have at least one person spawning behind me as competent players, especially in Scavenge, will be able to deal with the horde quickly and easily.

Nabs

RocketDarkness said:
You guys on 360? I'm assuming that's the case, since otherwise you'd use the console command to reduce max pings. Hopefully it'll get better eventually.

On another note, I made a toggle-voice console command, so I can mousewheel up to enable chat, and mousewheel down to disable chat. All the benefits of not having to hold a key dow to talk, without activating open microphone. Everyone wins!
i could use something like that ^

1-D_FTW

Dance In My Blood said:
I rarely have problems with this as well. The highest I'll ever see my ping go is 120.

The pings usually go down after the initial connection. People aren't judging based off of that are they?

I'm 150-180 a lot, but that's because a huge percentage of the time people choose official dedicated and the majority are based in Seattle. Southern Florida --- Seattle = 3000+ miles and lots of hops.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Turfster said:
Just played the versus game from hell.
Once we got to 666 points (versus 2500something for the other team), we just killed each other in the safe room at the end to make it be over sooner.:lol

And I beat your ass to a pulp!

Sibylus

Banned
Had an amusing game of Scavenge where the other team didn't know alltalk was turned on, and they would talk about their strategy all the time. Very few surprises in that game, they got 0 cans one round (got the achievement), and we ended up winning by a large margin.

Scavenge is an absolute blast. Had some hilarious games last night. It's so much fun playing as spitter and taking out all the survivors cans.

Versus is still good, but just takes too damn long to finish.

Anyone up for some L4D2 on 360?

GT: Josef Redbeard

I'm currently watching netflix but I'll back out and play some if I get an invite.

Firestorm

Had a really crazy game last night with 6 friends + Sciz. Behind by 25 points first map, tied it on the second, went behind by 10 after the third, behind by 40 after the fourth, and then finally won by about 100 - 200 in the finale.

Soooo damn intense :eek: Was on Parish.

I also like Scavenge due to battles being so short. We need more maps for that badly though =\

Volcynika

Firestorm said:
Had a really crazy game last night with 6 friends + Sciz. Behind by 25 points first map, tied it on the second, went behind by 10 after the third, behind by 40 after the fourth, and then finally won by about 100 - 200 in the finale.

I also like Scavenge due to battles being so short. We need more maps for that badly though =\

Sciz is not your friend? :(

Sciz

Firestorm said:

It's nice for Versus to be fun again, compared to the corner camping shotgun fest the original devolved into.

Firestorm said:
fuckbuddy

i mean

he's a friend with benefits
I've forgotten the details by now, but most of the night involved the rest of the team trying to keep Firestorm from getting himself killed like the chump oblivious individual he is.

tenritsu

Banned
I need to play with some of you guys. Watching the ineptness of random players take on witches singlehandedly, waste a health pack then wonder why they in a horrible position is just mind numbingly disgusting.

kai3345

Banned
Im getting really mad. Lately I haven't been able to finish a SINGLE game on any mode of Left 4 Dead 2. My connection will be playable and I'll have little to no lag and then all of a sudden (usually near the middle of the level) I get fucking d/c'd

IN EVERY FUCKING GAME

I can't even complete a single level, let a lone a whole campaign.

Yet i fire up MW2 or any other LIVE game and it plays just fine.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Are there any people who just like doing campaigns? When I finally around to this game (on PC; my brother has it for the 360) I'd like to play some with GAF. I'd also really like to check out some of the cool custom campaigns I've seen for L4D like Night Terror, Suicide Blitz and Silent Hill. I've never found VS all that compelling though.

xero273

HK-47 said:
Are there any people who just like doing campaigns? When I finally around to this game (on PC; my brother has it for the 360) I'd like to play some with GAF. I'd also really like to check out some of the cool custom campaigns I've seen for L4D like Night Terror, Suicide Blitz and Silent Hill. I've never found VS all that compelling though.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xero273

I'm good for some campaigns. L4D2 doesn't have any customs yet out right now. The map maker is still in beta from what I read

commissar

This is getting frustrating :(

Despite 22,000 people playing left 4 dead 2, the damn game finds NO games for me on versus, scavenge, survival, and only TWO servers on campaign (and only then because I favourited them when I played on them).

So effectively I can only play the game when friends are.

Ports are forwarded and everything, serverbrowser gives me nothing, ALL other source games are perfect, and find heaps of servers. wtf is going on :(

Nabs

Tisan said:

Despite 22,000 people playing left 4 dead 2, the damn game finds NO games for me on versus, scavenge, survival, and only TWO servers on campaign (and only then because I favourited them when I played on them).

Ports are forwarded and everything, serverbrowser gives me nothing, ALL other source games are perfect, and find heaps of servers. wtf is going on :(

that's really weird.

commissar

Nabs said:
that's really weird.
Oh sweet I got some help from a friend, and I can see about 1000 custom games through serverbrowser now. He has the same issue for some reason D:

VV Where are you from?

Zzoram

Tisan said:

I seem to have the same issue. I never see more than a dozen or two games (either in lobby or in progress) when there should clearly be hundreds or thousands. I wonder what is going on.

Slavik81

HK-47 said:
Yeah. If you want to add me, my steam name is the same as my GAF name.

Twig

Banned
vertopci said:
Yea bro, because playing only 4 fucking rounds of it gives you the right to talk shit on it.
And you being a no-life nerd of course have the right to judge other people's opinions based on their own personal experiences.

notsol337

marked forever
vertopci said:
Yea bro, because playing only 4 fucking rounds of it gives you the right to talk shit on it.

I was just saying I don't like it. You know why I only played 4 rounds?

It's not fun. Not one bit of it was fun. If it's not fun I'm not going to force myself to like it, things just don't seem to work out that way. I merely expressed disagreement. If you wish to be defensive, that's your deal.

commissar

Okay I've figured out what the problem is!

Matchmaking is not on a centralised server basis, but is based on your Steam settings download region ONLY, and that is where the matchmaking pool comes from.
Local games will not show up if you're not in the same region.

So when I reinstalled Steam with Windows 7 I chose New Zealand as my download region, however there's two issues:

1) There's no actual download server for Steam games in NZ, all the traffic is routed through to the Australian servers. Which also means we can't use any free national traffic, but will be charged against our international quotas >:|
Because of this our Steam region actually defaults to Aus- NSW. Which means if I set it to NZ, then I'm trying to matchmake from a pool of NZ gamers who have manually changed their region to NZ. Which is as far as I can tell, no one.

2) Matchmaking WILL NOT choose from local servers outside of your region! So if I change my region to US - LA, I will only get servers in LA and none from Australia let alone Chicago or w/e.

So where I would be usually playing TF2 on a NZ or AUS server with Aussies all with a ping of <40, L4D2 will not even ping these same local servers.
So NZ will not talk to NSW which will not talk to QLD etc., despite the ping difference being negligible.

So for gamers in sparsely populated territories playing L4D2 through matchmaking, you're fucked.

Furthermore, due to Steam regions for NZers defaulting to Aus, if a NZer with L4D2 wants to play their uncut game, they'll have client-side gore, but none of the uncut content like the special infected. Because they're unwittingly locked to Aus servers through the regioned matchmaking.

All this also explains why there's so many "custom" NZ & Aus servers running bog standard content, because without the use of serverbrowser, there won't be any local non-regioned connections. Again making the pool stupidly low, and explaining why it is seriously fucking IMPOSSIBLE to find a dedicated server through macthmaking.

tl;dr Matchmaking is BROKEN for everyone D:

vertopci

TheOneGuy said:
And you being a no-life nerd of course have the right to judge other people's opinions based on their own personal experiences.

Yea because he sure has a decent amount of experience with it amirite?

4 rounds is at most one best of 5 game of scavenge or one best of 3 and one ragequit.

notsol337

marked forever
vertopci said:

4 rounds is at most one best of 5 game of scavenge or one best of 3 and one ragequit.

It wasn't fun. It wasn't fun not because I lost, it wasn't fun because I don't like the game mode. I don't like running around, grabbing cans, and then taking them to one spot. I don't like the finale of dead center either. It could be the easiest thing ever and I wouldn't like it. I tried it, it's not fun.

It's ok though, we're cool bro. Hit the rock.

1zz2loz.jpg

Twig

Banned
vertopci said:

Yeah because you always need a ton of experience before you know whether you like something or not.

Next time you have the opportunity to eat dog shit, keep that in mind, Sparky.

vertopci

TheOneGuy said:
Yeah because you always need a ton of experience before you know whether you like something or not.

Next time you have the opportunity to eat dog shit, keep that in mind, Sparky.

Don't need a ton but you sure as fuck need more than one game of scavenge :/

Twig

Banned
vertopci said:
protip: people are different from people

sometimes someone just Knows what they like and Knows what they dislike

The concept is not a difficult one.

notsol337

marked forever
vertopci said:

I explained it twice. You haven't even replied to me directly. Get off your crusade against Twig and address me already. I even gave you Obama, goddam.

p.s. I played 2 games. Not fun.

fallout

TheOneGuy said:
i don't even know what this means
He's referring to the broken posting time limit of GAF being set at 60 seconds. Frusmod GAF has it set to 89.6 seconds, making it much more balanced and not a piece of shit.

There are 2 things that turn me away from L4D competitive modes (X360):

1. Playing as the survivors is SOOO boring in comparison, especially because you just anticipate playing as the infected in the next round. There is nothing more fun than bouncing around as a Hunter, or lining up a good charge with the Charger. Then in the next round you're stuck with these boring humans who can't do anything, and you just know the opposing team is having a blast as the infected.

2. Using the lobby system without a party capability makes it hard as hell to get friends together if it's just 2 or 3 or you. So annoying to try and find a room that can take the 3 of you on one side.

The campaigns are great, especially when going for the expert achievements, but I wish I had as much fun with the competitive stuff.

Top Bottom