• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Sibylus

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
2drar89.jpg
D:

Chinner

Banned
Botolf said:
Thoughts from a few days ago about the nature of the infection and the US's response:

1) Coach, Ellis, Rochelle, and Nick are all immune. The military identifies them in different terms ("Are you equipped for carriers?"). From the messages left behind by others, carriers are immune to the infection but can still pass on the infection to other people. The survivors of L4D2 (and probably the classic survivors of L4D1 too) are carriers, and probably unintentionally infected many people around them.

2) It would appear the US military was more prepared for this than CEDA was, being aware of such things as the nature of immunity and implementing tighter and more effective quarantine strategies (They still retained use of their fighter jets, helicopters, and land vehicles). There are signs of military abandonment of positions and the like, but it looks orderly, they retreat when necessary and keep the fight going. All of the CEDA checkpoints you see in the game are disaster zones, you can see evidence of total ruin and regular, uninfected people rushing the barricades in panic and being gunned down. You can see the rows of orderly body bags CEDA was laying down (They probably ran out of time to retrieve the rest of the bodies). In fact, the only significant CEDA contribution to the war was the extraction and utilization of the infected bile.

3) The military rescued the survivors at the end of The Parish, which indicates that they waited for some reason. Not for the reason that Nick stated ("Or maybe they'll line us up against a wall and shoot us"), because if the Army had wanted that they could have done so at any point the survivors were running across the bridge. They had jets in the air, the bridge appears to have been already wired for demolition, etc. It appears to be a legitimate evacuation, but not because the Army was that desperate for people, they had a Chopper at the end of the bridge anyway and ten minutes allotted before departure.

4) It seems quite transparently clear that any humans born after this war will have a good chance of being immune. Carriers will be the overwhelming majority of the surviving population and their children will likely acquire their immunity. Non-immune survivors won't have as many children due to being simply outnumbered, and over time their vulnerability will be lost to future generations. Quite simply, the carrier is the "new" face of human civilization.
gross get that halo type speculation out of this thread

Chinner

Banned
Botolf said:
Speculation about Valve games is fun, mister, and I shan't be discouraged from doing it!
yeah but you went into too much detail and made it creepy like what happens in the halo 3 thread, it would be likle
dax01 said:
on this ground there is a single leaf texture. although the tree is no longer here, probably due to the explosions of fire or UNSC cutting it down to make a clear path we can assume that this means is that at one point there was a tree, and from that tree would of spawned many other trees. during the summer children would run around it and be happy, lovers would sit underneath it and express themselves and insects would build their only colonies based around the tree. this tree would of blocked the wind and given shade to those who reside underneath it. indeed, the tree would of helped co2 emissions which would of helped the earth of halo from global warming. this particular tree saved a certain marine from dying when a ccovernant sniper shot hit the tree just as the UNSC solider was walking past it
you're better than that bro

Sibylus

Banned
Creepy is writing paragraphs about and taking pictures of stain textures ;) (sorry dax!). I wrote about a topic bigger than one map or one campaign, hence all the details and citations. If you want creepy, then I can provide. How does an in-game history of Burger Tank and its cross-corporate outlets sound to you?

You are a duck and have no arms to speak of, stop reaching!

I read and enjoyed Botolf's post and would read and enjoy other posts like it.

Edit: also, I had never read that dax post before and it is really bringing a smile to my face at this hour.

JimiNutz

Banned
I picked this up a couple days ago for my 360, and was really enjoying it, until the game started freezing randomly.

I tried installing it to my HDD to fix it, but then the game would just freeze constantly on the loading screen so now I can't play it at all!

Obviously I'll take it back and swap it for another copy, I just hope its a faulty disc and not the first signs of a dying 360.
All my other games are working perfectly fine though.

Anyone else have freezing issues on 360?

the amount of people who die after meeting the survivors (due to the group infecting them) is quite a lot when you stop and think about it. two chopper pilots the guy who wants the cola....

infact virgil(sp?) is one of the few who lives but he is likely immune as im sure he was talking about his wife getting infected as well and living through that?

Salmonax

Blue Geezer said:
the amount of people who die after meeting the survivors (due to the group infecting them) is quite a lot when you stop and think about it. two chopper pilots the guy who wants the cola....
The cola guy turns into a zombie? When does that happen?

Sibylus

Banned
Blue Geezer said:

infact virgil(sp?) is one of the few who lives but he is likely immune as im sure he was talking about his wife getting infected as well and living through that?
I don't think cola guy gets infected (at least we never see it happen, no way to know if he's immune or not).

If Virgil is a carrier he probably unknowingly infected his woman. That's gotta suck.

Update released for PC version:

Left 4 Dead 2 Update Released
December 4, 2009, 6:30 pm - Valve - Product Update

Updates to Left 4 Dead 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Left 4 Dead 2

* Fixed crash on startup when using FAT32 file system
* Fixed in-game chat input where the local encoding differs from the input language's
* Fixed bug where Survivor Bots would sometimes become unresponsive in Scavenge games
* Updated subtitle localization files for Hungarian, Portuguese, Romanian and Russian
* Fixed exploit that allowed players on the Infected team to spawn directly next to the Survivors

Cynar

NutJobJim said:
I picked this up a couple days ago for my 360, and was really enjoying it, until the game started freezing randomly.

I tried installing it to my HDD to fix it, but then the game would just freeze constantly on the loading screen so now I can't play it at all!

Obviously I'll take it back and swap it for another copy, I just hope its a faulty disc and not the first signs of a dying 360.
All my other games are working perfectly fine though.

Anyone else have freezing issues on 360?

nope, sorry for your loss :(

vehn

Smash88 said:
Why can't they fix the constant crashes people only get on the mall level in scavenge?

(This is PC talk of course)

which is only compounded by the fact that 90% of the scavange games are Dead center.... pick a new level that doesn't have a game breaking bug in it!

MutFox

Banned
vehn said:
which is only compounded by the fact that 90% of the scavange games are Dead center.... pick a new level that doesn't have a game breaking bug in it!

There's a crash there?

Played that map for hours in Scavenge, and never had a crash...

Smash88 said:
Why can't they fix the constant crashes people only get on the mall level in scavenge?

(This is PC talk of course)
I think someone posted earlier that they're testing out a fix for it at the moment.

gregor7777 said:
Well, groups of 2 in Dead Center is the way to go. I've got plenty of perfect rounds that way. Dead Center is different because the people on higher floors can get down quickly and help if needed. Same for the guys on the first floor.

Most other maps you're right though. There is no way for the long group to get back together quick enough to help.
The guys on the first floor really can't get up fast enough. Even if they could, that's a lot of time wasted constantly saving the two guys top.

Splitting up in twos can plausibly work in dead center, but you better be absolute amazing or the other team better suck.

Smash88

Banned
CrookedRain said:
I think someone posted earlier that they're testing out a fix for it at the moment.

Hallelujah!

I personally don't care, but my buddies that I play with (those in the youtube video I posted earlier), crash constantly on the map at random. It is getting rather annoying, having to wait until the server kicks him/her, so we are concentrating more on when the server kicks him rather than the game. Just breaks immersion, and the fun.

tenritsu

Banned
GAH DAMMIT.

I played 3 campaigns tonight. 2 of them I was moments from completing the whole damn thing and a tank demolishes me while everyone else escapes. (Need dem achievements)

This probably happens all the time, but still, it's frustrating :(

1-D_FTW

Gamestop seems to have done a price drop (and not a sale?). 360 is 39.99 and PC is 29.99. With PC, you can use the code BEMERRY and get an additional 10 percent off and free ground shipping.

MNC

Shit. Twiggie, do you have that program to play old demos? There was some good shit I had before the update broke it :(

Does anyone else find this game much harder and yet much more rewarding than L4D1? Maybe it's jjust becuase i've not been well but i find myself dying more in singleplayer.

Redd

Blue Geezer said:
coulda sworn there was a part mentioning that. also he has a zombie model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObiPxnaLiQ8

Would have been nice to see him in a later chapter. That would also be more proof that the at least one of the survivors is immune and a carrier of the virus. Maybe that chopper pilot they mention just before the swamp level got infected by one of them too.

Coverly

BoloTheGreat said:
Does anyone else find this game much harder and yet much more rewarding than L4D1? Maybe it's jjust becuase i've not been well but i find myself dying more in singleplayer.

Yes, but it depends. For us, any mode with just 2 people seems to be about the same level of difficulty as L4D1. But with 3 or 4 people in one game, the difficulty increases greatly. With 3 people the game feels harder and you start cursing the bot, wishing you had an extra player. With 4 players the conversation is usually about our luck for the endless waves of multiple special infected at the same time. Normal with just 2 players feels like a completely different game than normal with 3 or 4 players.

I think it's great though. The people I usually play with are not that concerned with passing whole campaigns but with having fun within 1 or 2 hrs of time that we have free, so wipes are just as funny as clearing an area barely alive. Yesterday we spent an hour with the Parish finale, coudln't finish it with 3 people, but we had a great time. We're determined to finish it today.

Red Scarlet

xero273 said:
100 Health at the start of finale. Is that suppose to happen? I thought it was 50.

I'm not sure if it was the server or the map, but I've seen it before; whoever's dead at the end of Dead Center 3 gets 100 instead of 50 on Dead Center 4 sometimes.

Dead Center 1/5
Dark Carnival 2/5
Swamp Fever didn't finish, bored me too much
Hard Rain 4/5
The Parish 3/5

Scavenge mode is still amazing too me.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Visualante said:
Dead Center 1/5
Dark Carnival 2/5
Swamp Fever didn't finish, bored me too much
Hard Rain 4/5
The Parish 3/5

Scavenge mode is still amazing too me.

Dead center scavenge is so great that I'm goingto play it right now.

I like Motel scavenge the most when you have 2 good teams. It's man easier map for the survivors so usually you get all 16 cans but it comes down to who does it faster. Very tense stuff.

JPBrowncoat said:
I like Motel scavenge the most when you have 2 good teams. It's man easier map for the survivors so usually you get all 16 cans but it comes down to who does it faster. Very tense stuff.
I hate it for that exact same reason. Also , not a lot of good infected spawns places.

Also the netcode still isn't working for me. I am consistently unable to find a good server for any game mode.

Total step in the wrong direction Valve. I never had problems in the first game.

TheGreatDave said:
I still consider myself lucky to get a ping under 200. Really not good, Valve.
Exactly, I called a vote when we were all at 170-220 earlier today. 7/8 people voted not to return to lobby. I thought it had improved since launch but the past week have proved otherwise.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
TheOneGuy said:
My ping is usually about 50.
I rarely have problems with this as well. The highest I'll ever see my ping go is 120.

The pings usually go down after the initial connection. People aren't judging based off of that are they?

Turfster

Just played the versus game from hell.
Once we got to 666 points (versus 2500something for the other team), we just killed each other in the safe room at the end to make it be over sooner.:lol

TheGreatDave said:
I still consider myself lucky to get a ping under 200. Really not good, Valve.
You guys on 360? I'm assuming that's the case, since otherwise you'd use the console command to reduce max pings. Hopefully it'll get better eventually.

On another note, I made a toggle-voice console command, so I can mousewheel up to enable chat, and mousewheel down to disable chat. All the benefits of not having to hold a key dow to talk, without activating open microphone. Everyone wins!

Top Bottom