• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

1-D_FTW

Volcynika said:
Well I'm just saying someone quitting when they're losing it'd be hard to tell. I wouldn't tell the people I don't know "OH GOTTA GO HELP OUT MY RELATIVES WITH ____". While it'd be nice to have some kind of thing to stop people from quitting due to losing/rage/etc., it's only a dream of being actually possible.

Plus on public servers, it's probably a good thing. People aren't gonna rage quit because they're winning. They rage because they realize the other team is better and they don't feel like spending the next 2 hours getting their ass kicked. If everyone on that team rages, maybe they'll be replaced with a team that's actually better. There's really no better solution for a game where you can easily tell if the other team is superior and matches last 2 hours.

dem said:
people who play this game are wackjobs

You make a mistake and its an instavote to kick you

yeah, earlier today we were getting swarmed and a stray bullet of mine hit the witch, no one even knew where she was. The host didn't hesitate to shoot me dead afterwards then vote me off, and when the vote comes up people most likely just hit A to get back to the action

does anyone have the preorder baseball bat? how is it? worth the $1-5 it goes for on ebay?

Red Scarlet

Gryphter said:
yeah, earlier today we were getting swarmed and a stray bullet of mine hit the witch, no one even knew where she was. The host didn't hesitate to shoot me dead afterwards then vote me off, and when the vote comes up people most likely just hit A to get back to the action

does anyone have the preorder baseball bat? how is it? worth the $1-5 it goes for on ebay?

If you play with anybody that preordered, you wiill get the bat too. The bat is nice when it shows up at the start, since everyone can grab it and have a melee weapon if they want.

Facism

Just did Parish on Expert Realism.

The 2 guys going for the achievement didn't make it and i was sole survivor.

Sorry guys, tired, got tunnel vision when i melee'd past the tank, and forgot that you gave a shit about square jpg images :<

Hope you feel better tomorrow.

TheOneGuy said:
I found a way that works for NOW but there's no guarantee it will work in the future.
I LOVE YOU LONG TIME.

The 'Do not automatically update this game' option in Steam CANNOT be relied upon.

[EDIT - Also, I think I might have to agree with you now, drizzle. I'm addicted to 8v8 Versus! Jumped on a server at Swamp Fever and stayed on until Dark Carnival :S. ]

Twig

Banned
I agree with Capndrake that Scavenge would be a lot better if the gas cans were random.

But I still don't find it particularly boring. If anything I like it more than versus simply because if I'm up against a team that's clearly better than mine I don't have to rage quit to avoid an hour or two of pain. That's basically the entire reason I rarely played versus in L4D1.
MNC said:
That's awesome! Thank youuu!
giant_frying_pan said:
I LOVE YOU LONG TIME.
Haha. Just remember it won't always work. Best to get your video-making done ASAP.

Teknoman

To those who've been inviting me, sorry about turning down the invites left and right, last minute classwork is crazy. On Christmas Break now (aside from having to study for a few final tests) so im ready to blast some zombies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So as someone just getting into L4D2, is there a bullet list of things I should know?

I was an avid L4D1 player, so I know the general playstyle mechanics very well, but I'm curious if there are some tricks with the new infected in versus mode that wouldn't be entirely obvious.

Right now I've got:

- Jockies should pretty much always snag the person furthest in the back. Jockies can also drag people off buildings (pretty sure I saw this).

- Spitters can combo nicely with smoker grabs.

- Chargers can run a survivor off of one level onto another to create distance between the survivors (some dude ran me down a rock hill so damn far and I ended up taking fall damage...all I could say was "god damned good angle...")

...pretty much it so far. I've only played the first campaign all the way through, and touched most of the others through versus, but I already feel at home with the survivors. Gameplay still seems like it's "stick together and move fast" so I'm able to be a fully functional survIvor as long as someone else is leading.

Mainly just looking to know other cool tricks with the special infected or level tricks like the L4D1 rooftop smoker grab that I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance, and I'm loving the changes so far.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
RubxQub said:
So as someone just getting into L4D2, is there a bullet list of things I should know?

I was an avid L4D1 player, so I know the general playstyle mechanics very well, but I'm curious if there are some tricks with the new infected in versus mode that wouldn't be entirely obvious.

Right now I've got:

- Jockies should pretty much always snag the person furthest in the back. Jockies can also drag people off buildings (pretty sure I saw this).

- Chargers can run a survivor off of one level onto another to create distance between the survivors (some dude ran me down a rock hill so damn far and I ended up taking fall damage...all I could say was "god damned good angle...")

...pretty much it so far. I've only played the first campaign all the way through, and touched most of the others through versus, but I already feel at home with the survivors. Gameplay still seems like it's "stick together and move fast" so I'm able to be a fully functional survIvor as long as someone else is leading.

Mainly just looking to know other cool tricks with the special infected or level tricks like the L4D1 rooftop smoker grab that I should be aware of.

The Charger can do instant death charges in a few map specific spots, so I'd watch out for that. One example in the first campaign is the outside ledges of the building in the first level. A good charge there will take someone right off to their death. A jockey can make people fall, but it's to the ledge grabbing state in most cases. Also watch for the knockback from an attacking SI. While it was in L4D1, it seems like it lasts a little longer in 2. So if you're all bunched together on that same ledge for DC1 and a jockey gets someone right in the middle? It may push back the other survivors right off the ledge, and then the jockey can just get the final one right off.

For versus, one trick that can be useful at times is use the spitter to make a temporary brick wall at narrow passages the survivors need to go by. This slows them down and gives a little bit of time for the rest of the team to get ready. And if the survivors don't stop, they take a lot of damage from it. The spitter in general is just great for aiding the others. A charger incapped someone? Wait for the survivors to help the teammate up and spit right in the middle. This will either force them to stop and wait while the downed survivor takes damage, or keep on doing it and suffer damage themselves.

RubxQub

Papercuts said:
The Charger can do instant death charges in a few map specific spots, so I'd watch out for that. One example in the first campaign is the outside ledges of the building in the first level. A good charge there will take someone right off to their death. A jockey can make people fall, but it's to the ledge grabbing state in most cases. Also watch for the knockback from an attacking SI. While it was in L4D1, it seems like it lasts a little longer in 2. So if you're all bunched together on that same ledge for DC1 and a jockey gets someone right in the middle? It may push back the other survivors right off the ledge, and then the jockey can just get the final one right off.

For versus, one trick that can be useful at times is use the spitter to make a temporary brick wall at narrow passages the survivors need to go by. This slows them down and gives a little bit of time for the rest of the team to get ready. And if the survivors don't stop, they take a lot of damage from it. The spitter in general is just great for aiding the others. A charger incapped someone? Wait for the survivors to help the teammate up and spit right in the middle. This will either force them to stop and wait while the downed survivor takes damage, or keep on doing it and suffer damage themselves.
Awesome stuff man. Thanks for that.

Sounds like the new infected added some new ways to really mess with people :lol

I wasn't a big fan of the Jockey, because really it's just a smoker that doesn't do damage (he doesn't do damage, right?) but with greater distance generating potential, but at the loss of range...but knowing that his initial jump causes the survivors to get pushed back ala the hunter dive in L4D1, you can use it push people off of edges and whatnot and that makes him a bit more interesting.

Papercuts

RubxQub said:
Awesome stuff man. Thanks for that.

Sounds like the new infected added some new ways to really mess with people :lol

I wasn't a big fan of the Jockey, because really it's just a smoker that doesn't do damage (he doesn't do damage, right?) but with greater distance generating potential, but at the loss of range...but knowing that his initial jump causes the survivors to get pushed back ala the hunter dive in L4D1, you can use it push people off of edges and whatnot and that makes him a bit more interesting.

The jockey does damage, but it isn't that much. A good jockey jump can mess the survivors up way more than a good smoker pull however, sometimes taking them from 1/4 of the map back to the safe room. :lol

To me it just feels like the Smoker is the one that isn't needed nearly as much anymore. His original purpose is to slow down and annoy, but the new SI can all do this in more effective ways. It's true that if you pull a straggler, you delayed the survivors a little bit...but a Jockey can do so much more with it, curve them around obstacles to make them waste a lot more time, and doesn't have a set distance the backtracking will go like the smoker's reach. The charger can also attack from the front and send someone a good distance back, but also does a TON of damage. I will atleast say I don't have that much good L4D2 experience with the smoker though, I haven't looked for many good spots/don't know of any instant incap spots.

One more thing about the charger I forgot, he is the only normal SI that the melee attack won't effect. You can get up in someone's face, do a slash or two, then immediately charge them. His melee does 10 damage each hit, which is also more than the others. Then the charge on top of it makes it a lot easier to incap!

Anyone had this bug?

Swamp Fever 1: During the crescendo event, our charger charged Rochelle off into the river but she didn't die, just landed on the river bed and remained there, unable to move. However, for some bizarre reason, this stopped the SI from spawning and on each of our SI spawn screens it said "The survivors made it, prepare to be rescued soon" (or words to that effect).

Eventually the boat arrived, at which point the SI were released from their curse and proceeded wipe the remaining survivors a few seconds after they landed on the other side... only them to be given full points!

MNC

RubxQub said:

Right now I've got:

:lol Love your avatar

As for a bit of ontopic:

Framerate command = cl_showfps 2 (less fluctuated, more stable/averaged out)

Knockback on charger is very long :O I think it can get atleast 2 clean hits

RubxQub

Papercuts said:
The jockey does damage, but it isn't that much. A good jockey jump can mess the survivors up way more than a good smoker pull however, sometimes taking them from 1/4 of the map back to the safe room. :lol

To me it just feels like the Smoker is the one that isn't needed nearly as much anymore. His original purpose is to slow down and annoy, but the new SI can all do this in more effective ways. It's true that if you pull a straggler, you delayed the survivors a little bit...but a Jockey can do so much more with it, curve them around obstacles to make them waste a lot more time, and doesn't have a set distance the backtracking will go like the smoker's reach. The charger can also attack from the front and send someone a good distance back, but also does a TON of damage. I will atleast say I don't have that much good L4D2 experience with the smoker though, I haven't looked for many good spots/don't know of any instant incap spots.

One more thing about the charger I forgot, he is the only normal SI that the melee attack won't effect. You can get up in someone's face, do a slash or two, then immediately charge them. His melee does 10 damage each hit, which is also more than the others. Then the charge on top of it makes it a lot easier to incap!
The one nice thing about Smokers is the verticallity to their attack. In the mall level for instance you can hang people over edges pretty easily, both messing up their location with the other survivors almost instantly as well as making it hard for the other survivors to shoot you. I agree, though, Smokers in general have always been a bit lacking, and the addition of the other SI personifies this a bit more.

Good call on the chargers massive health pool, as well. A common tactic I'd use with hunters in the first game was to wait until the survivors were flooded with regular infected and just run in and swipe at them for 10 damage a shot instead of pouncing on anyone. Looks like you can still do this, but their speed felt a bit slower than I remember.

I'm a firm believer in regular melee attacks with SI after you've blown your load on your special attack and don't have a great opportunity to hide or use your ability again quickly.

Red Scarlet

Jeff Stephen said:
Anyone care to share the command to show FPS in-game?

type 'net_graph 1' in the console. 'net_graph 0' turns it off.

Uh oh, can't make a lobby and it says something about steam cloud, but maybe that has to do with steam servers croaking.

Red Scarlet said:
type 'net_graph 1' in the console. 'net_graph 0' turns it off.

Uh oh, can't make a lobby and it says something about steam cloud, but maybe that has to do with steam servers croaking.

Yeah looks like Steam servers crashed

Papercuts

RubxQub said:
The one nice thing about Smokers is the verticallity to their attack. In the mall level for instance you can hang people over edges pretty easily, both messing up their location with the other survivors almost instantly as well as making it hard for the other survivors to shoot you. I agree, though, Smokers in general have always been a bit lacking, and the addition of the other SI personifies this a bit more.

Good call on the chargers massive health pool, as well. A common tactic I'd use with hunters in the first game was to wait until the survivors were flooded with regular infected and just run in and swipe at them for 10 damage a shot instead of pouncing on anyone. Looks like you can still do this, but their speed felt a bit slower than I remember.

I'm a firm believer in regular melee attacks with SI after you've blown your load on your special attack and don't have a great opportunity to hide or use your ability again quickly.

I might just still be in the "new zombies!" state, since all I think about in the mall level is charging people through the glass railings or using a jockey to wrap them around stairs. :p

Yeah, the Hunter run in still works since his run is still silent, but he does feel slower. I think they might have nerfed all of the originals actually--the hunter just feels weaker overall, the smoker feels like he had a range nerf, boomer arc may have been toned but but this might not actually be true.

And yeah, that's always good. With a Charger, you won't really get a melee chance after you blow the special attack unless you missed the charge(since they can't melee you off, you either need to kill the survivor or die yourself), so it's good to use his before the actual attack.

Man, Expert is brutal.

I'm determined to do it with the bots, dammit!
At least one campaign
I keep getting the goddamn tank after the second safe house (dumpster area) =/ He incapped the AI and I actually avoided him for a few good minutes, but the fucker wouldn't go down! I unloaded so many magnum bullets on his 'roid-ass, too.

Then a Charger spawned ='(

Anyway, do you have any more L4D2 videos, Red Scarlet? I really enjoyed watching your last batch.

Red Scarlet

Right now I just have..

first time playing the demo
first time playing expert realism on dead center 3 and 4
first time playing dead center (whole campaign, advanced)
first time playing hard rain (whole campaign, advanced realism)
first time playing the parish (advanced) 5
first time playing scavenge (dead center 5)
first time playing vs (swamp fever 1-4)

They're all at http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/ and titled 'L4D2 First _'.

dejan

J. M. Romeo said:
Ok, so how do I activate the console and the server browser? The key under ESC won't work for me (and I enabled it into options)
I had the same problem. In your Steam games tab right click on L4D2 -> properties -> set launch options and then type "-console". This will open the console window automatically the next time you start L4D2. You can then bind a new toggle console key with the console command (F12 in this example) "bind f12 toggleconsole".

HK-47 said:
Are there any people who just like doing campaigns? When I finally around to this game (on PC; my brother has it for the 360) I'd like to play some with GAF. I'd also really like to check out some of the cool custom campaigns I've seen for L4D like Night Terror, Suicide Blitz and Silent Hill. I've never found VS all that compelling though.
I'm not getting tired of playing campaign mode and I'd really like to play with some gaffers. If you want to contact me one Steam, my Steam name is asmodejan.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Have you beaten all the campaigns on Expert Realism, Scarlet?

Also I just saw that the Night Terror makers are planning on upgrading the campaign from L4D2.

HK-47 said:
Have you beaten all the campaigns on Expert Realism, Scarlet?

Also I just saw that the Night Terror makers are planning on upgrading the campaign from L4D2.
Unless she's been holding out on me, we've both only done Dead Center on Expert Realism. We tried Hard Rain though...by God, we tried.

Uncle AJ

Dead Center and Parish finished on Expert... now for the decidedly less enjoyable night-time campaigns....

The "lost connection to server, retrying in 25 seconds" messages scared me half to death, but they came through around the 12 second mark. Usually left one of our mates suddenly dead or incapped when we regained control, though. :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RocketDarkness said:
Unless she's been holding out on me, we've both only done Dead Center on Expert Realism. We tried Hard Rain though...by God, we tried.

The vids I watched on Youtube by the LUElinks group seemed to have more trouble with Dead Center and Dark Carnival than Hard Rain. I was surprised at how easy they made the finale look. I was sure that was only equaled by the coaster and the bridge in difficulty but I guess not.

Red Scarlet

HK-47 said:
The vids I watched on Youtube by the LUElinks group seemed to have more trouble with Dead Center and Dark Carnival than Hard Rain. I was surprised at how easy they made the finale look. I was sure that was only equaled by the coaster and the bridge in difficulty but I guess not.

Only beaten Dead Center on expert realism. The finale for Hard Rain isn't tough really, it's pretty much to some degree Hard Rain 1 and Hard Rain 2 is imo the hardest map in the game on expert/expert realism. In about 10 hours of tries, I've been in groups that've gotten past Hard Rain 2 twice on expert, never on expert realism.

Just played with a fun mixed group of people on the other side of the world..2 guys from Australia (Storyteller, Spotless Mind) and marv from Japan. We all survived Parish 5 the first try too, which was neat. Spotless had banana shoes or something though. :lol

Red Scarlet said:
Just played with a fun mixed group of people on the other side of the world..2 guys from Australia (Storyteller, Spotless Mind) and marv from Japan. We all survived Parish 5 the first try too, which was neat. Spotless had banana shoes or something though. :lol

I still cant believe i threw the molotov right at you, while you were in the truck. D: Total finger slip, twas pretty funny though. This was after I set off the alarms twice without even realizing, when we were going for that achievement in the graveyard area. :lol

123rl

Some Spitter tips as I think she's the most dangerous/important. I love playing as the Spitter

Use the Spitter as a support attack. Wait for a Hunter pounce/Charger attack and then Spit on the ground. You'll do lots of damage and prevent a rescue unless their team also want to take damage

Use it to split up the group and then coordinate attacks with other SI. I like to stand near a Hunter then spit to split them up, meaning the Hunter can jump on one with minimal interference

Wait for the right moment and don't rush. One or two excellent Spitter attacks can end the round. Look for narrow hallways, small rooms, alleyways, staircases, elevators etc and attack there. A Spitter in a wide open area is useless. If a Survivor is incapped or hanging off a ledge, wait for someone to come and rescue them and then attack. Then run in and let them kill you. They'll panic and your acid will do even more damage

Red Scarlet said:
Spotless had banana shoes or something though. :lol
:lol It was awesome to get through that finale in one shot on my first time playing through The Parish. Thanks Scarlet, Storyteller, Botolf and marvelharvey. Fun games. :)

Volcynika

Playing some friendly VS with friends last night on Dead Center was pretty fun! One time, I was a spitter, and 3 of my friends were in the safe room with one downed a little outside. So they just kinda waited for him to die. One person killed me when I was right outside the safe room door (he was right by the door too), and my spitter goo after dying went through the door and actually killed him (he was black and white) :lol

vazel

Banned
dem said:

I sometimes hate the kick function. Makes it too easy for people to single one guy out to take their frustrations out on when losing. One versus campaign I'm accused of being a noob and kicked which is funny because in another versus campaign I'm so unbelievably good that I have to be hacking.

Also when someone wants a friend to join and you get kicked for that. They should go all in at once from a lobby rather than joining mid-game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Red Scarlet said:
Only beaten Dead Center on expert realism. The finale for Hard Rain isn't tough really, it's pretty much to some degree Hard Rain 1 and Hard Rain 2 is imo the hardest map in the game on expert/expert realism. In about 10 hours of tries, I've been in groups that've gotten past Hard Rain 2 twice on expert, never on expert realism.

Yeah. They took as much time to do the first two stages as the last three.

1-D_FTW

vazel said:
I sometimes hate the kick function. Makes it too easy for people to single one guy out to take their frustrations out on when losing. One versus campaign I'm accused of being a noob and kicked which is funny because in another versus campaign I'm so unbelievably good that I have to be hacking.

Also when someone wants a friend to join and you get kicked for that. They should go all in at once from a lobby rather than joining mid-game.

I've had it even in campaign. Right after it launched, I joined a campaign with Zero and one of Vert's regulars. It's on expert and in between crashing, I was really in the zone. Must have killed 10 SI in a row. Anyways, it's set to public, and a pub joins. 30 seconds later, he shoots Zero in the back, then the banana rider. So I shoot the pubber (so I can safely call a kick vote) before he can incap me and we have to restart the level. I get back to the game screen and I see I've got a kick vote happening against me. It didn't pass because Zero voted no, but really? You'd think before you vote yes, you'd be curious to know WTF was happening.

Daigoro

Red Scarlet said:

damn. it seems impossible to get all 4 to the chopper on Parish expert. i still havent beaten it, last one i have left on expert.

i played it on Realism Expert last night. it was pretty rough. didnt make it past Parish 3 before people were tired of trying.

Realism is fun.

Really digging scavenge mode- focusing on just one area instead of always trying to move with the survivors gives the SI team a lot of good opportunities for traps, not to mention the shorter games and quicker rounds make it a lot more fun for a quick bout of L4D goodness.

Also, nothing beats a spit that destroys 3 gas cans and lights the entire first floor of the mall on fire.

dem said:

This happened to me all the time -- 2 or 3 times a night -- with L4D on 360 but I've only been nominated for one vote with L4D2 playing on the PC. (Not a "PC is better than console" thing; just an observation.)

"Custom models are now supported and very much a reality now! And that includes survivors, special infected, common infected and weapons. Not only that, it seems the weapon functionality can also be edited. So what does this all mean? Well it means mappers can have custom survivors, special/common infected and entirely new weapons unique to just their campaigns (i.e map side modifications, NOT server side)! The L4D modding scene just got a little more interesting boys and girls."

http://www.l4dmods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=294:l4d2-sdk-content-revealed-custom-models-a-reality&catid=2:news&Itemid=13

Twig

Banned
LovingSteam said:
"Custom models are now supported and very much a reality now! And that includes survivors, special infected, common infected and weapons. Not only that, it seems the weapon functionality can also be edited. So what does this all mean? Well it means mappers can have custom survivors, special/common infected and entirely new weapons unique to just their campaigns (i.e map side modifications, NOT server side)! The L4D modding scene just got a little more interesting boys and girls."

http://www.l4dmods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=294:l4d2-sdk-content-revealed-custom-models-a-reality&catid=2:news&Itemid=13
This is what I was hoping for when whoever it was linked that custom sledgehammer.

Mmmmm.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
LovingSteam said:

That's pretty damn awesome.

Proven

I... will probably have to switch to PC exclusively eventually. Oh well, might as well finish off the 360 achievements first.

Rubezh said:
Nude Coach mod soon?
6e2ikl.jpg

Top Bottom