• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Artadius

Dechaios said:
Still really wanna know how to make demos so I can record them. If anyone could help me out or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

When in a game, bring up the console and type record <filename> where <filename> is whatever you want. That will record until you stop (which I forget the command) or exit the game.

Alternatively, you can use _record and it'll break up the recordings into individually numbered files based on your filename.

The files are stored as .dem or .demo files I believe for playing.

e:fb

Twig

Banned
The best and most efficient (read: for fun) way to play the concert finale is to run around like a madman.

the stage is boring yeah i said it fuck off haters

Proven

xero273 said:
the command in the console is "record demoname". demoname can be whatever you want it to be. It'll save the demo in your default L4D2 folder. So if you want to watch your recordings, you need to type "playdemo demoname". Left 4 dead 2 recording can only be view using this method. Once a new update comes out, you can no longer view the recording. So you are going to have to use an alternate method to convert the .dem file to avi. I use fraps to record the demo while I am watching it. If you use fraps to convert, the files will be really big so use virtualdub to compress. I hope this helps.

I figured more people would be using this method: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934312

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
One of my co-workers accidently bought 2 copies of this game with the dell.com $40 deal...so I took it off his hands at that price and will be getting back into the L4D-universe in the near future.

So looking forward to versus mode with the new maps and character types :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ok, when playing scavenge or vs or whatever, what's the key to type to your team?

Got into scavenge on dead centre last night and was like 'OK GUYS 2 UP 2 DOWN?!'

infected go 'yeah, yes please'

:/

1-D_FTW

catfish said:
ok, when playing scavenge or vs or whatever, what's the key to type to your team?

Got into scavenge on dead centre last night and was like 'OK GUYS 2 UP 2 DOWN?!'

Pretty sure Y is all and U is team.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
TheOneGuy said:
The best and most efficient (read: for fun) way to play the concert finale is to run around like a madman.

the stage is boring yeah i said it fuck off haters

I don't know how you can defend the stage. There are so few chokepoints and it's reaaaly easy to get surrounded by infected.

The top of the bleachers, on the other hand, gives you a clear view of the entire level and puts you in prime position for that last dash to the helicopter.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ahoyhoy said:
I don't know how you can defend the stage. There are so few chokepoints and it's reaaaly easy to get surrounded by infected.

The top of the bleachers, on the other hand, gives you a clear view of the entire level and puts you in prime position for that last dash to the helicopter.

stage works out pretty well, you can see and shoot the firetraps when the infected rush from a side, behind the stage is pretty easy for 2 people to hold and throw molotovs and it's not far to go get another molotov.

Twig

Banned
catfish said:
stage works out pretty well, you can see and shoot the firetraps when the infected rush from a side, behind the stage is pretty easy for 2 people to hold and throw molotovs and it's not far to go get another molotov.
Yeah the stage is p easy.

BUT BORING AS FUCK GTFO

FireFly

Last night I got matched with Nick Breckon and Alice O'Connor of Shacknews fame, but the game disconnected shortly after I joined :(

I really wish the hosting/lobby system would die a horrible death.

Flib

FireFly said:
Last night I got matched with Nick Breckon and Alice O'Connor of Shacknews fame, but the game disconnected shortly after I joined :(

I really wish the hosting/lobby system would die a horrible death.

You mean Nick Breckon of Bethesda :'(

videogames RIP

ShogunX

A few things that gripe me about versus mode (360) - It pisses me off when the survivors are given cheap health packs throughout the chapter, You work your ass off as infected only for some crummy health pack to show up out of nowhere which pretty much negates any of the work you have just done. I realise it works both ways but I would much prefer everyone only had the health packs at the start and then maybe the odd bottle of painkiller for the rest of the chapter.

Another thing is Melee weapons they just seem too overpowered against the special infected which means things like the hunter becomes almost useless unless you manage to get a survivor who has wandered off on his own.

Dont get me wrong I love the L4D series and played the original an awful lot (1250 GS) but it just seems a few things are unbalanced in the sequel. Oh and another thing why is it that when you barf on peeps as a boomer most of the time the horde doesn't even show up?

drizzle said:
I've been playing some 16 player versus games and man, they're so much more chaotic and fun. 8 Survivors and 8 Infected makes the amount of different infected at once much funnier. The amount of people also helps because there's less chance that your entire team is compromised of idiotic morons.

I'm liking it much more than regular versus. I still think that regular Scavenge is the better mode tho.
What server? I played some 16 player games yesterday on a server I think from the main L4D Steam Group and it was a laugh riot. Teamwork pretty much goes out the window unless you're all on the same wavelength and rushing's pretty much the only prevailing tactic. So in that respect I still prefer 4 v 4, but 8 v 8 is a very fun distraction.

I'm having L4D2 withdrawal symptoms because I've had exams all week. I need to play this weekend :lol .
Then I have another week of exams D:

Twig

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:
I'm having L4D2 withdrawal symptoms because I've had exams all week. I need to play this weekend :lol .
Then I have another week of exams D:
me 2 ];

ShogunX

TheOneGuy said:
i'm sorry but this just makes me laugh

I can see why it would make you laugh but it was solely to point out that I hadn't played L4D for 5 minutes and then decided to point out out a few misgivings I have about the game.

Always enjoy justifying myself to forum members especially the one's who post like arseholes :D

xero273

Shogun PaiN said:
A few things that gripe me about versus mode (360) - It pisses me off when the survivors are given cheap health packs throughout the chapter, You work your ass off as infected only for some crummy health pack to show up out of nowhere which pretty much negates any of the work you have just done. I realise it works both ways but I would much prefer everyone only had the health packs at the start and then maybe the odd bottle of painkiller for the rest of the chapter.

If only the 360 version had something like frusmod. I imagine you would like that. Gets rid of health packs and replaces them with pills. I don't remember what else it does though.

Twig

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:
I can see why it would make you laugh but it was solely to point out that I hadn't played L4D for 5 minutes and then decided to point out out a few misgivings I have about the game.
I know why you did it. But it was a stupid way to do it.
Always enjoy justifying myself to forum members especially the one's who post like arseholes :D
hahahaha

ShogunX

TheOneGuy said:

Agreed.

xero273 said:
If only the 360 version had something like frusmod. I imagine you would like that. Gets rid of health packs and replaces them with pills. I don't remember what else it does though.

Sounds good. Would be great if Valve let us tinker with a few options for private matches :(

Shoogoo

TheOneGuy said:

Not to me.

Anyway, we were in a versus game at the plantation and we went for the burger tank achievement as 3 of us had a melee weapon (the 4th player didn't shoot a bullet) but the achievement didn't unlock on the first tank. Then we tried on the second tank and it didn't unlock either, what gives? :O (360)

Wrekt

Shoogoo said:
Not to me.

Anyway, we were in a versus game at the plantation and we went for the burger tank achievement as 3 of us had a melee weapon (the 4th player didn't shoot a bullet) but the achievement didn't unlock on the first tank. Then we tried on the second tank and it didn't unlock either, what gives? :O (360)
Did you set the tank on fire?

I hope they find ways to have more than 4 survivors in the future for expansions or sequels. I suppose they'd have to increase the number of zombies on the screen which would kill a lot of player's computers, and balance the special infected (ie. make them much more powerful) since >8 people would nearly always shoot down an SI before nearly any damage was done. Or just have more long range infected like the spitter/smoker.

Maybe months later, as the normal infected are slowly dying out, then hunters become the 'normal' infected and super powerful acidic-bile spitting tongue-lassoing witchtanks roam the wastelands that were once cities, in their endless pursuit of the last 12 humans - Zoey, Rochelle, Nick, Louis, Bill, Frances, Ellis, Coach... and the Midnight Riders... in...

Left 12 Dead: Episode 1. Coming Nov 2010.

Tim-E

wayward archer said:
I hope they find ways to have more than 4 survivors in the future for expansions or sequels. I suppose they'd have to increase the number of zombies on the screen which would kill a lot of player's computers, and balance the special infected (ie. make them much more powerful) since >8 people would nearly always shoot down an SI before nearly any damage was done. Or just have more long range infected like the spitter/smoker.

Maybe months later, as the normal infected are slowly dying out, then hunters become the 'normal' infected and super powerful acidic-bile spitting tongue-lassoing witchtanks roam the wastelands that were once cities, in their endless pursuit of the last 12 humans - Zoey, Rochelle, Nick, Louis, Bill, Frances, Ellis, Coach... and the Midnight Riders... in...

Left 12 Dead: Episode 1. Coming Nov 2010.

They did create a website for The Midnight Riders, and there are conveniently four members of the band. They also make a few hints throughout the game that they made it out alive, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the DLC involved them in some fashion.

Chinner

Banned
I reckon the dlc will continue straight from were The Parish finished. Just seems logical considering the game is slightly more story based and the ending wasnt hardly clear cut.

Chinner said:
I reckon the dlc will continue straight from were The Parish finished. Just seems logical considering the game is slightly more story based and the ending wasnt hardly clear cut.
Well, we know they're taken by the army at the end of The Parish, possibly to a lab because they're supposedly immune... somewhere safe from infection and possibly underground...
!!!
Day of the Dead DLC confirmed!

Beaulieu

Shogun PaiN said:
Oh and another thing why is it that when you barf on peeps as a boomer most of the time the horde doesn't even show up?

this x100000
boomer is fuckin useless in L4D2
It used to happen sometimes in L4D, but in this iteration, it's all the time! Never more than 10 zombies.

ShogunX

Shoogoo said:
Not to me.

Can the achievement be done in versus mode? Me and a few friends also done the exact same thing and the tank wasn't on fire. We killed the Tank pretty fast with guitars from the stage finale of Dark Carnival and nothing unlocked for us either.

Maybe you have to do it in campaign mode.

Edit - Confirmed - The tank has to be A.I controlled for this achievement to unlock.

TheOneGuy said:
i'm sorry for you

ps any real gamers i'm up for shit later after i finish up some online quizzes and shit

LET'S ROCK THIS JOINT
I need to play some L4D2, so I'll be up for it. Just sent you a Steam invite (I'm guessing you're Twig).

catfish said:

PS. in scavenge, splitting up is bad, don't do it.

Sober

TheOneGuy said:
i'm sorry for you

ps any real gamers i'm up for shit later after i finish up some online quizzes and shit

LET'S ROCK THIS JOINT
oh man, that reminds me, studying breaks with l4d2! :lol Definitely up for a game or two tonight

Shoogoo

TheOneGuy said:
i'm sorry for you

LET'S ROCK THIS JOINT

yeah I'm a fake gamer I totally forgot to mention that in my bio

PillowKnight said:
PS. in scavenge, splitting up is bad, don't do it.

Well, groups of 2 in Dead Center is the way to go. I've got plenty of perfect rounds that way. Dead Center is different because the people on higher floors can get down quickly and help if needed. Same for the guys on the first floor.

Most other maps you're right though. There is no way for the long group to get back together quick enough to help.

vertopci

gregor7777 said:
Well, groups of 2 in Dead Center is the way to go. I've got plenty of perfect rounds that way.

Most other maps you're right though.

Depends on who you're playing. If you're playing a good team, splitting up in any map is bad. All it takes is a charger and a hunter to get one of the groups. Plus if they have a boomer and spitter as well, those two are pretty much screwed.

Twig

Banned
Shoogoo said:
yeah I'm a fake gamer I totally forgot to mention that in my bio
:lol

PS, Vanpira! Me and notso and I assume ZAiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiN are about to play. Or at least I'm ready to do so. But I don't know your Steam name.

EDIT: I'm Twig.

Sibylus

Banned
Thoughts from a few days ago about the nature of the infection and the US's response:

1) Coach, Ellis, Rochelle, and Nick are all immune. The military identifies them in different terms ("Are you equipped for carriers?"). From the messages left behind by others, carriers are immune to the infection but can still pass on the infection to other people. The survivors of L4D2 (and probably the classic survivors of L4D1 too) are carriers, and probably unintentionally infected many people around them.

2) It would appear the US military was more prepared for this than CEDA was, being aware of such things as the nature of immunity and implementing tighter and more effective quarantine strategies (They still retained use of their fighter jets, helicopters, and land vehicles). There are signs of military abandonment of positions and the like, but it looks orderly, they retreat when necessary and keep the fight going. All of the CEDA checkpoints you see in the game are disaster zones, you can see evidence of total ruin and regular, uninfected people rushing the barricades in panic and being gunned down. You can see the rows of orderly body bags CEDA was laying down (They probably ran out of time to retrieve the rest of the bodies). In fact, the only significant CEDA contribution to the war was the extraction and utilization of the infected bile.

3) The military rescued the survivors at the end of The Parish, which indicates that they waited for some reason. Not for the reason that Nick stated ("Or maybe they'll line us up against a wall and shoot us"), because if the Army had wanted that they could have done so at any point the survivors were running across the bridge. They had jets in the air, the bridge appears to have been already wired for demolition, etc. It appears to be a legitimate evacuation, but not because the Army was that desperate for people, they had a Chopper at the end of the bridge anyway and ten minutes allotted before departure.

4) It seems quite transparently clear that any humans born after this war will have a good chance of being immune. Carriers will be the overwhelming majority of the surviving population and their children will likely acquire their immunity. Non-immune survivors won't have as many children due to being simply outnumbered, and over time their vulnerability will be lost to future generations. Quite simply, the carrier is the "new" face of human civilization.

Vanpira

TheOneGuy said:
:lol

PS, Vanpira! Me and notso and I assume ZAiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiN are about to play. Or at least I'm ready to do so. But I don't know your Steam name.

Ok maybe next time, Steam name KillerSaint, I am already on your friends list.

Botolf said:
Quite simply, the carrier is the "new" face of human civilization.
2drar89.jpg

Top Bottom