• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

notsol337

marked forever
Every time I see a screenshot, I wonder how people can play this without a pink crosshair. I've been in love with the pink crosshair since l4d! <3

Red Scarlet

I had that tongue thing on The Parish 2.

tjohn86 said:
geez what resolutions are you guys playing in...

800x600, higher res makes stuff look like shiny plastic and it is a smaller size if I make a video out of it. And an (imaginary?) bonus is that with that res vs 2000x1500, there's a lot less pixels for me to move around in to aim better.

Ferrio

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
I had that tongue thing on The Parish 2.

And an (imaginary?) bonus is that with that res vs 2000x1500, there's a lot less pixels for me to move around in to aim better.

Imaginary indeed.

Red Scarlet

Ferrio said:
Imaginary indeed.

Well, I'll still believe it! But really the first two are the main reasons, don't like the look at higher and don't like 250mb 5 minute videos (100mb 5 min videos are already too big).

xero273

Red Scarlet said:
Well, I'll still believe it! But really the first two are the main reasons, don't like the look at higher and don't like 250mb 5 minute videos (100mb 5 min videos are already too big).

you could get fraps to record at half resolution then change the size of the video through virtual dub.

Uncle AJ

Just getting around to the developer commentary... apparently Rochelle's occupation before the infection was a TV producer? Never would have guessed from her appearance... or any other occupation for that matter.

notsol337 said:
Every time I see a screenshot, I wonder how people can play this without a pink crosshair. I've been in love with the pink crosshair since l4d! <3

That reminds me I need to set up my green dot crosshair I had in TF2... makes a world of difference.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
notsol337 said:
My resolution is 1680x1050 and it's glorious.
yeah, it is pretty great. it's shame that my GTX9800+ struggles to keep it up [to 60fps] in most games at that res. That's why Source is great, I can crank everything up super high and maintain 60fps.

Nabs

notsol337 said:
hot pink is the only way to play

MNC

800x600 on a shitty laptop, 1024x768 on a PC where it's the max res, or 1280x800 windowed on my dad's PC.

Salmonax

MutFox said:
1 year ago, I would have said 1024x768 with everything off at 12-17 fps...
(That's how I used to play L4D)
I similarly made the jump to 1900x1200 from an AGP-limited desktop last year. I remember being blown away in L4D by details like the smoke coming off my dual pistols and the shadows cast by the flashlight. Good times.

NotWii

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Never bothered to turn around and look at the 'Next Gas 2 Miles' sign on Hard Rain 5 until now.. :lol
c4m5_milltown_escape0001.jpg
I saw all the OTHER signs and wondered why they didn't do it.
Turns out they did, I didn't notice that til now :lol

I'm a bad bad dog with no house or&#65279; a home,
women, whiskey, wheels and the road.
'Got my 750 howlin' and my shotgun loaded,
I'm full up and about to explode.
'Got my hammer held down, and I, I'm Texas bound,
my fightin' hands are itchin' to fight'.
Well every lady's crazy when her daddy's not around,
gonna drink, dance, party all night
She's gonna drink, dance and party all night

So keep rolling (keep rolling)
It's alright (it's alright)
Keep riding (keep riding)
The midnight ride!

Right so (fight so)
Fight so (right so)
Gonna ride (gonna ride)
It's a midnight ride!

There's a cowboy who wants to kill me in every single city,
'cause a woman didn't come home at&#65279; all.
If those hombres want to fight, then they know where to find me
with a lady in a bathroom stall.
Reach for the top, gotta stay on the mountain
of this bad that can get much worse.
I made a deal with the devil now he's pulled my number
but he'll have to come and get me first.
Woman tell him to get me first.

Keep rolling (keep rolling)
It's alright (it's alright)
Keep riding (keep riding)
The midnight ride!

Keep rolling (keep rolling)
I'm alright (I'm alright)
I'm riding (I'm riding)
The midnight&#65279; ride!

(guitar solo)

--

Well I'm a half-ton son of a gun with a suitcase full of pistols and money.
Come dawn, woman, I'm gone but tonight can be your lifetime honey.
God damn girl. I'm your man girl. I'll get your engine singin'.
This sounds good, let me under your hood and we can find out what I'm bringin'.

I'm one bad man.
One bad man.

Well I'm a blood hound heading straight down looking for some women and whiskey.
I park fine to stop at night, Then I'm looking for a kitty to frisk me.
Nice legs, making me beg, Your mini and your rattlesnake smile.
It's late, we go back to your place, I'll rattle your cage for a while.

I'm one bad man.
One bad man.

The next mornin', you're still snorin'. Pick my leathers up off the floor.
Riffle through your purse, got to quench my thirst and I'm headin' straight out your door.
Well well, see me in hell. I don't pass the clouds enough.
Some day I'll back this way. Does your sister want to have some fun?

I'm one bad man. Yeah! Ooh!
One bad man.
One bad man.
One bad man.
One bad man.
One bad man.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing it at 2048x1152 res and it looks wonderful. Love this game so much.

it's pretty neato. I don't know anything about pc gaming though, I told the entire other team where we were going in scavenge a few days ago.

I think I'm converting to PC gaming slowly. I love the couch + controller, but this game is too awesome.

How do I get me a pink crosshair? Just in the options?

beat the swamp and hard rain campaigns last night (normal difficulty). Holy shit, witches everywhere in hard rain! I ended up getting the Sob Story achievement though, I wasn't even trying for it, I was just trying to survive! I also love how the storm made it impossible to see. My first night with this game I was a little let down, said to myself I should have saved the money and just played L4D1 again, but now I am fully sold. Love the melee weapons, too. Does the preorder baseball bat count as 1 of the 8 required for the achievement? I currently have 7/8 on it and am not sure what I'm missing.

xero273

Gryphter said:
beat the swamp and hard rain campaigns last night (normal difficulty). Holy shit, witches everywhere in hard rain! I ended up getting the Sob Story achievement though, I wasn't even trying for it, I was just trying to survive! I also love how the storm made it impossible to see. My first night with this game I was a little let down, said to myself I should have saved the money and just played L4D1 again, but now I am fully sold. Love the melee weapons, too. Does the preorder baseball bat count as 1 of the 8 required for the achievement? I currently have 7/8 on it and am not sure what I'm missing.

you can check in-game which one you are missing. start game up, go to achievements and scroll down. You should see an option to expand and it'll show which weapons you used.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
catfish said:
I think I'm converting to PC gaming slowly. I love the couch + controller, but this game is too awesome.?

Hook up your PC to your TV. A lot of modern video cards have an HDMI port and a wired X360 controller is pretty cheap. A lot of games have automatic support for that controller and those that don't can be fixed with 3rd party programs. L4D2 has native support.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Hook up your PC to your TV. A lot of modern video cards have an HDMI port and a wired X360 controller is pretty cheap. A lot of games have automatic support for that controller and those that don't can be fixed with 3rd party programs. L4D2 has native support.
Don't encourage the use of controllers in a PC multiplayer FPS, man!

Though I suppose it's not as bad in L4D, so I guess it's okay.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheOneGuy said:
Don't encourage the use of controllers in a PC multiplayer FPS, man!

Though I suppose it's not as bad in L4D, so I guess it's okay.

Honestly, Gaf loves it's controllers and it's not easy convincing them otherwise. If it gets him to game more on the PC, why not let him use the controller? He will eventually see the light of the M&KB, but for now I will settle for him gaming on a PC.

Controller is total shit in L4D imo, how anyone could expect to compete with it boggles my mind.

xero273 said:
you can check in-game which one you are missing. start game up, go to achievements and scroll down. You should see an option to expand and it'll show which weapons you used.

awesome, thanks

Nothing wrong with using controllers on PC as long as you know which games to pick. Multiplayer First-Person Shooters are most definitely out of the question, though.

MNC

Left 4 Dead 2

Changed rules for ghost placement in Scavenge Mode

Player controlled Special Infected are no longer forced to un-crouch and lock strafe when they crouch attack

Spitter spit that damages players on a moving elevator will now fizzle quickly

Allow the survivor and infected to rotate the camera yaw while being attacked by a Charger or Smoker

Smoker that has dragged a survivor to the end now gets the same cinematic flashlight as the Hunter and Charger

Fixed a crash in physics

Updated the Charger's hit boxes

Updated the Jockey's hit boxes

Updated the Spitter's hit boxes

Fixed player health on being revived after a Charger slam over a high ledge

Fixed versus scores not resetting after a vote to change campaigns

Fixed being able to use defibrillator on dead players who were far above or below you

Fixed pink glow on dead survivors

Fixed being able to hold crouch while incapped to get better weapon accuracy

Fixed players pushing against some props causing them to accumulate downward velocity and then take falling damage when they let go of the forward key

Fixed a case where an incapped survivor inside a rescue vehicle would trigger both the escape sequence and a round restart

Fixed the helping hand from getting stuck when extended

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MNC said:
Spitter spit that damages players on a moving elevator will now fizzle quickly

Allow the survivor and infected to rotate the camera yaw while being attacked by a Charger or Smoker

The spit change doesn't sound like it fixes the elevator trick in HR3 where you can spit on the bar next to the elevator and have the survivors pass through it, doing obscene amounts of damage.

Not being able to rotate the camera as charger was pissing me off, I'm glad they changed that.

vertopci

RocketDarkness said:
I want to know what those Scavenge spawn rule changes are.

Most likely makes it so the spawn ghost starts off near the survivors. They had a tendency to start off miles away from the survivors before.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
theMrCravens said:
Does this mean easier for survivors to kill, or easier for these infected to "grab" ?

Probably neither. The shape of the hit-boxes just didn't match up to the shape of the body. Now it apparently does so better.

Red Scarlet said:
The flashlight thing for Smoker will make it harder to tell when a survivor is coming to the rescue. :(
Won't make that much of a difference in practice though, will it?

[EDIT - RE: hitboxes. It'll probably tighten them up, making them slightly harder to kill. As in, fewer 'missed' shots will cause damage.]

sgnhh

Neo Member
Weirdest campaign run yet earlier tonight--Dark Carnival on Expert. The AI director was throwing pills and weapons at us like we were playing on Easy, but everything else was treated like Expert. By chapter 2 we had seen a grenade launcher and two chainsaws. Low zombie count on the coaster crescendo in chapter 3, but the crescendo in chapter 4 was the strangest of all. One of the times we hit the button, not one zombie or SI appeared until the gates actually opened (pressing the button didn't spawn a thing). When they did, they all ran from the safe house; nothing from the back or sides.

vertopci

If anyone is interested in joining a GAF L4D league, let me know so I can invite you to it. Only gaffers are allowed since it wouldn't be a GAF League otherwise. :lol

The league will be split up into two sections. Scavenge and Versus. The Versus part requires you to have both L4D1 and L4D2. For scavenge, obviously you only need L4D2. You can take part in just one of them or both sections. However, if doing both, the teams for both sections must be same. So you can't be on Team X for scavenge and Team Y for VS. Each team can have up to 6 members. Obviously a minimum of 4 is required.

If you're interested, message me on steam or send me a PM on gaf. Make sure to let me know if you have a team comprised of gaffers already or if you don't. Also make sure to tell me which section(s) you want to take part in.

Actual league play will start sometime after christmas so finals for everyone are finished and shit.

kthx

Red Scarlet said:
I wanna know why (and which) the L4D1 campaign posters are hidden in the L4D2 campaign loading screens.
Last Stand is behind The Parish, Dead Air is behind Dead Center, Blood Harvest is behind Dark Carnival, while Hard Rain has Death Toll, I think. This would leave Swamp Fever with No Mercy, but I don't remember being able to spot it.

Top Bottom