• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Tim-E

LovingSteam said:
"Custom models are now supported and very much a reality now! And that includes survivors, special infected, common infected and weapons. Not only that, it seems the weapon functionality can also be edited. So what does this all mean? Well it means mappers can have custom survivors, special/common infected and entirely new weapons unique to just their campaigns (i.e map side modifications, NOT server side)! The L4D modding scene just got a little more interesting boys and girls."

http://www.l4dmods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=294:l4d2-sdk-content-revealed-custom-models-a-reality&catid=2:news&Itemid=13

This is going to be incredibly interesting once the community spends some time with it. Any idea on when it'll be released?

vazel said:
I sometimes hate the kick function. Makes it too easy for people to single one guy out to take their frustrations out on when losing. One versus campaign I'm accused of being a noob and kicked which is funny because in another versus campaign I'm so unbelievably good that I have to be hacking.

Also when someone wants a friend to join and you get kicked for that. They should go all in at once from a lobby rather than joining mid-game.

I have not been kicked yet but people are so quick to forget how many times I saved their ass, just because they get smoked once and I don't save them immediately they start bitching right away. Its not just this game though, in any online game people are jerks like that.

MNC

Okay GAF, this is why I desperately wanted L4D2 demos to work :lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaCnSRokips#t=3m43s

Only the ending is a bit lulzworthy. Sorry to disappoint :p

Tim-E said:
This is going to be incredibly interesting once the community spends some time with it. Any idea on when it'll be released?
I was about to say boo hiss etc because of the whole replacing thing but then I rememberd - this is map related and not server side :D

Tim-E said:
The authoring tools are in closed-beta, so I would think it's getting close. Like some-time-less-than-six-months close. I say that because the l4d1 authoring tools came out within a couple months after it went closed-beta

I am really excited to see what the creators do with this. Should be interesting. One thing that is great about CSS for me is the mods, creations, etc... Hopefully the community of L4D2 thrives even more than L4D1.

Just played and completed Hard Rain for the first time last night with two buddies, and I can't imagine playing that on realism, much less expert. That level is pure evil.

I mean, I love it's pure evil, but damn.

Shake Appeal said:
I can't imagine playing it not on Realism. In fact, outside of Versus and Scavenge, I never have.
All it takes is one jockey in the cornfield during the rains and you're completely screwed. Its also damn easy to get seriously separated from your group from a good smoker pull in some of the warehouse areas.

Pure. Evil.

Facism

I hope we get a mod where the characters are all Colonial Marines and the infected are Aliens. Could be an awesome mod with some good ideas for Specials.

notsol337

marked forever
Well I had a 'cool story bro' moment! During the Swamp Fever finale, we had a swarm spawn during the double tanks. I was grey the whole time and running around trying simply not to get hit down by the medkits and the rest of the team was upstairs, and the tanks incapped them. On my way up I got hit by boomer bile. Game over. :lol :lol

I love this game.

notsol337 said:
Well I had a 'cool story bro' moment! During the Swamp Fever finale, we had a swarm spawn during the double tanks. I was grey the whole time and running around trying simply not to get hit down by the medkits and the rest of the team was upstairs, and the tanks incapped them. On my way up I got hit by boomer bile. Game over. :lol :lol

I love this game.

:D Along those lines, the first time our crew played Survival mode in Left 4 Dead 1 we all climbed up to the top of the tower to make our defense. I got a little too close to the railing and fell over, hanging by a single hand and calling for help. Amidst the mayhem, my buddy came over to rescue me and ended up falling over too, so now we're both hanging, laughing our asses off and screaming for help, warning that the rails can break. Next thing you know the other two made the same damn mistake and ended up hanging right next to us. There we were, all four of us just hanging there.

One by one we all dropped into the pit of waiting doom below, each choking on our laughing tears at our collective fate.

Now, when we played L4D2 the other night we found ourselves at the Plantation house finale, and all you could hear was all of us whipping out our axes and katanas, chopping every last railing to bits, just to be sure.

I love this game.

Twig

Banned
Facism said:
I hope we get a mod where the characters are all Colonial Marines and the infected are Aliens. Could be an awesome mod with some good ideas for Specials.
I hope we get a mod where the characters are all Colonists and the infected are Redcoats.

EDIT: And I want all of the colonists to have voices and attitudes like Minuteman from Freedom Force. "Zombie Redcoats? Not on my watch! FOR FREEDOM!"

EDIT EDIT: And a narrator. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkDPEilHvWw

Facism

How about Redcoats in space.

Just played on this server that was 20 players and had this tankbuster shit. It was fun, and the admin was a roid raging broski :lol

notsol337

marked forever
Facism said:

Just played on this server that was 20 players and had this tankbuster shit. It was fun, and the admin was a roid raging broski :lol

Browncoats in space...

FIREFLY WITH ZOMBIES. GO.

Twig

Banned
Facism said:

Robot zombie redcoat pirates in space versus blazing hot colonial babes wearing string bikinis wielding rocket launchers and light saber chainsaws.

Would really like DLC news soon, I don't know if you guys remember the posters in No Mercy for the Aquarium, I always thought that would be such a cool map. You could have zombies break the glass and water comes flying out along with zombies and zombie sharks, oh yeah.

Twig

Banned
CrazedArabMan said:
Would really like DLC news soon, I don't know if you guys remember the posters in No Mercy for the Aquarium, I always thought that would be such a cool map. You could have zombies break the glass and water comes flying out along with zombies and zombie sharks, oh yeah.
Hah, now that I think about it, are there any Source games that have extensive use of water beyond stagnant pools and canned animations?

I mean when you walk through the water in Hard Rain, I don't think it actually MOVES, per se.

I wonder if the Source engine could handle that. D:

Hopefully I just have a bad memory / am ignorant.

Volcynika

TheOneGuy said:
Hah, now that I think about it, are there any Source games that have extensive use of water beyond stagnant pools and canned animations?

I mean when you walk through the water in Hard Rain, I don't think it actually MOVES, per se.

Always true.

notsol337

marked forever
121br0h.png

This needs to be a campaign.

NOW.

TheOneGuy said:
now i'm dumb AND ignorant?! ):

You're also pretty.

Daigoro

NullPointer said:
:D Along those lines, the first time our crew played Survival mode in Left 4 Dead 1 we all climbed up to the top of the tower to make our defense. I got a little too close to the railing and fell over, hanging by a single hand and calling for help. Amidst the mayhem, my buddy came over to rescue me and ended up falling over too, so now we're both hanging, laughing our asses off and screaming for help, warning that the rails can break. Next thing you know the other two made the same damn mistake and ended up hanging right next to us. There we were, all four of us just hanging there.

One by one we all dropped into the pit of waiting doom below, each choking on our laughing tears at our collective fate.

Now, when we played L4D2 the other night we found ourselves at the Plantation house finale, and all you could hear was all of us whipping out our axes and katanas, chopping every last railing to bits, just to be sure.

I love this game.

:lol awesome.

i too love this game. i really really do.

Alex

Bill is the only thing I'd want salvaged from L4D. Long live Bill!

I... will probably have to switch to PC exclusively eventually

Going back to PC is by far the best decision I've made for gaming this year. I'd NEVER want to fuck around with a Valve game on a console though, personally.

Uncle AJ

Red, Boltof, fallengorn and I just polished off Parish Expert in an hour and change. About 3 times as fast as my attempt last night with random pubbies. Soooo good.

Last time I played with Red and Boltof on Dark Carnival Expert, I failed miserably - about to try and redeem myself now...

JRW

I'm to much of an FPS whore to accept playing L4D2 @ 30fps (Xbox360 version FPS cap).. That alone makes PC version superior IMO.

Sibylus

Banned
TheOneGuy said:

The flow is more refined, there's fast flowing water and slow/stagnant water in the same water plane now. A good example is the bridge on The Parish, the water's fast under the bridge, but it calms down around the walls.

Overall it's the best Source engine water yet.

Uncle AJ

Red Scarlet said:
I don't think I've ever really noticed any water. Then again the main time I see it is when I get Charged into it.

Insta-kill charges seem way too frequent from what I've played of versus... too many crescendos on high elevation and no walls. Once I died getting charged down to the bottom floor coming out of the HR2 elevator..

Twig

Banned
Botolf said:
The flow is more refined, there's fast flowing water and slow/stagnant water in the same water plane now. A good example is the bridge on The Parish, the water's fast under the bridge, but it calms down around the walls.

I mean I've noticed that but it's not really dynamic in the sense that player interaction changes the way it flows, is it?

Granted, very few games do this, let alone the 50 year old Source engine. (I am joking about the 50 year old thing. Don't get yer panties in an uproar, now.)

I suppose the aquarium idea wouldn't really need super hi-tech water, but whatever. When I think aquarium, I can't help but think of Bioshock. D:

Smash88

Banned
Hey guys :D

Our new video is up. I would say this is a big improvement. We have worked on the formula and improved it more than before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pB24tjob9M

At the end, in case you didn't notice, the jockey
gets all 4 by himself with no assistance from us

Oh and some funny stuff some people decided would work. Enjoy it!

P.S.
That was me pouncing mid-air :lol

MNC

Botolf said:

Wait, what? Neat. So it's no more basic brush = water? :lol

123rl

Awesome video. This is why I love Versus/Scavenge. The new SI open the game up to many more possibilities. A spontaneous move or even a mistake can quickly lead to a deadly, game-ending, attack extremely quickly. Post more, please :D

MNC

wayward archer said:
I'm pretty sure it's just an animated texture on a brush.
Well, what I meant was in the older engines (EP2 since that's the only thing I SDK for a bit) is created by making a brush and applying the texture on it. Makes the brush into water (since you can swim as well) but that's just it. The water stays in place, creates some sprites when you shoot/swim in it, but nothing really mindblowing. What I read from botolf, that's certainly a step up.

Sibylus

Banned
MNC said:
Well, what I meant was in the older engines (EP2 since that's the only thing I SDK for a bit) is created by making a brush and applying the texture on it. Makes the brush into water (since you can swim as well) but that's just it. The water stays in place, creates some sprites when you shoot/swim in it, but nothing really mindblowing. What I read from botolf, that's certainly a step up.
For all I know it may be the same method (a static water brush), but it looks a lot more customizable/tweakable. Visually it's a pretty big upgrade from L4D1's water and the other Source water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY6vkpQDcpU

You can see this yourself on the level, the water flows quickly under the bridge (in the direction of the helicopter), whereas the water closer to land slows down and grows sluggish. It's a simple effect, but it looks nice.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
notsol337 said:
Browncoats in space...

FIREFLY WITH ZOMBIES. GO.

Mal, Zoe, Wash, and Jayne versus Reavers on an over run colony, with Serenity as the rescue vessel. It is too perfect a fit and makes too much sense to ever be a reality.

Twig

Banned
Servizio said:
Mal, Zoe, Wash, and Jayne versus Reavers on an over run colony, with Serenity as the rescue vessel. It is too perfect a fit and makes too much sense to ever be a reality.
Man that's... too right.

I didn't even think of that.

In the Dark Carnival menu background, there is a zombie behind on the booths. From time to time he will reveal his head peekaboo style.

Also got a weird glitch during Atrium scavenger. The entire round there were two smoker tongues, one was stuck to Rochelles foot and would track it.
anyp9d.jpg

mbr28y.jpg

Top Bottom